Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Problem description: I just got a new computer and after downloading a few of my games on Steam I have been unable to play them. Any time I try to start them up, it gets to the "first time setup, Installing Directx" part and then stops. I don't get any error message or anything, the Steam popup just disappears and nothing happens.

Attempted fixes: I tried running the DirectX installers in the steamapps/common/[WHATEVERGAME] for several games directly (and in administrator mode). It will get to the finalization step of the installation, then error out saying an internal system error occurred and to check the logs. (see DirectX.log). I tried downloading the DirectX runtimes and Web installer and running them, and still get the same result. I have the latest Windows updates and video drivers. Under advice from google searches I have also used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove and reinstall my drivers.

Recent changes: New System

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 Professional

System specs:
Intel i5 4690 @ 3.5 GHz
Geforce GTX 970
MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX motherboard
16 GB Memory

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I just want to play some games man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I am not sure if this is the actual issue, but your system is a probably too new for Windows 7. You can get Windows 8.1 to give you a trial, so it might be worth trying that to see if it makes a difference.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I doubt this, unless MSI provides terrible driver support. My new PC has a Z97 chipset (Asus Maximus Hero VII) and a Haswell CPU (i7 4790k), and is running fine with Windows 7 64bit. The only major issue I'm aware of is that Windows 7 doesn't support PCI-E SSD drives.

• Locked thread