Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Genocyber posted:

I always figured Angemon was so strong because pretty much every Digimon we fought against was some sort of incarnation of evil and well, he's an angel.

I remember seeing something on like a wiki that said Ange(wo)mon have an extra advantage against devil-type digimon. Like, they have one or two lines of code that make their attacks X% stronger against them.

But as other posters have pointed out, all the series have had different rules about how power is determined outside of digivolution levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Is there any news on non-iTunes releases?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon Adventure tri will be on Crunchyroll from tomorrow 7 am (PST) for all non-Europeans.

I'm honestly amazed, I expected a gigantic wait. This is great. I'll be able to bitch about this with actual material behind me!

Isn't that fortuitous.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Mods, requesting a name change to KNIFE OF DAY.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

BMB5150 posted:

I just watched and saw the beginning how 02 was hosed really hard. Wonder if that was just saying hey most of you didn't like 02 so we're throwing a bone to you guys or (most likely) they'll be a plot device that they need to save them or they're in some way responsible for the space distortion. I kind of like 02 and can live with it so I'm interested to see.

I also like how they're balancing of what the original series was and what the characters have become and how everyone interacts. It's refreshing to see a more mature group of Digimon handlers rather than the kids we always go in the previous series'.

Looking from the picture, it looks like BlackImperialdramon which maybe the infection caused the mega evolution of Veemon and Wormon with a twist, or could be something entirely different. Lot of questions still to be answered but it's a good setup for the next set of episodes and excited for it.

My off-the-cuff prediction is that the 02 kids will have been brainwashed to be enemies for at least a few of the next parts.

Burkion posted:

How in the world do Mimi and Joe go Mega Level? (Also mildly amazed they're apparently first- usually Izzy and Sora are next up for the power ups) In season 1, Mega Level was effectively impossible to reach unless you got mutated by a poo poo ton of Digivice energy (Leomon) were made by some higher power (The Dark Masters being made by Apoclymon who wasn't strictly any kind of level in the show and not even a real Digimon), absorbed anothers power into yourself (Etemon and the Dark Network, Myotismon and his entire army) or you fulfill some super suspect bullshit prophesy (Tai and Matt)

"Blah blah blah crests. Blah blah blah you can go Mega now."

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Onmi posted:

Although I'm also partially joking, because the ending is just such uninspired tripe because none of the conclusions, even on the characters introduced for 02, are satisfying.

That's not completely true. Tai, Izzy, and Joe had good endings.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

KoB posted:

[Izzy's] the best and was always my favorite character.

This is true.

quote:

Tentomon also the best after Agumon only because dinosaurs are rad. :colbert:

I don't think I've ever seen a more incorrect statement on these forums. The Tentomon line is best line. :colbert:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Omnicrom posted:

People pointed out that Tri seems to be cribbing heavily from Tamers in terms of scope and focus, but I wasn't expecting them to almost literally copy the Tamers evolution sequence as well. I do like the little detail of Patamon folding in his wings to fit in the egg.

I think that's more "between 02 and now we figured out a cool way to digivolve from Rookie to Champion, might as well use it for Tri" than being a lazy copy.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Craptacular! posted:

I straight up don't know poo poo about Japanese, so don't get into an argument on my account. What I was experiencing was the equivalent of people writing "desu" in the middle of traditional English. (This was online, nobody was actually pronouncing anything.)

My point is that you have to be a little bit weeb to write such a westernized name in it's Japanese phonetics.

The problem is an issue of Romanization. There are several styles in use, but no one has established an official one, so everyone does what they want. It's probably the smallest possible issue regarding translation, so no one gives that much care to it. I know I don't.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Frontier was okay to good up to Cherubimon's defeat, then it's all downhill from there.

It's like someone decided to double-down on having only a few characters get any relevance after Tamers' more balanced cast.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

I guess that MTV article should have an edit to include this. Preferably while saying "Plus we have pseudo-scientific proof that Digimon can whoop Pokemon rear end."

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In regard to MachineDramon, it took me a while to put together that the reboot means the Dark Masters are back alive and well, so that's the same dude and that's awesome.

Oh yeah, that would be the case, wouldn't it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

lezard_valeth posted:

Same, when they kept saying that they need a reboot, I couldn't help but think about South Park's Member Berries episode that came a week ago where they ask J.J. Abrams to reboot the national anthem

'Member Whamon?

But on a serious note, I hope that this leads to meta-commentary "did we really need a reboot?" discussion.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I don't think that you can say yet that Tri is going to invalidate the 02 epilogue.

Of the original Adventure crew, half of them (Mimi, Sora, Kari, and Matt) end up in careers that they could decide on between the end of Tri and the 02 epilogue. They might change it so that Matt doesn't reach Mars, but he could still end up an astronaut.

The other half (TK, Izzy, Joe, and Tai), are more dependent on how much of a thing the digital world is gonna be in relation to the real world. If it's as much of a thing as portrayed in the epilogue, there's no need for changes. If it's less, Tai and Joe could easily be reworked into real world focused diplomat and doctor, respectively, and Izzy and TK would probably be seen more as oddballs for their focuses on the digital world.

Shipping-wise, I don't think you can say that Izzy/Mimi would be invalidated by the epilogue, in that there's nothing that confirms or denies that they hook up. If you want to go the reaching for hints route, the group shot in the epilogue does place them next to each other. You could sorta say the same for TK/Kari, although you might have to add that they don't stay together based on how TK doesn't mention that they hook up and doesn't want to mention that it didn't work out in his narration.

Hopefully, Tai/Sora/Matt provide a beautiful shipper meltdown. It's been two years since Naruto, I need my fix, and Bleach couldn't scratch that itch.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kurui Reiten posted:

I just want to see them messing up all the Season 1 villains' plans by knowing what they're gonna try in one long rear end montage.

Fix up Andromon real fast, help him punch the poo poo out of Devimon. Trick Etemon into a battle of the bands with Matt, while quietly freeing Datamon, and then spread rumors that Myotismon is saying they're both pussies while he's still busy getting his army ready, then everyone sits back and watches them fight. Reach Ultimate, then cheat and use pre-existing knowledge and relationships to activate Agumon and Gabumon's Megas, then form Omnimon, and have him just juggle the Dark Masters like toys.

Bring a bunch of super extra large pizzas for Apocalymon and have a kick rear end party with him, get him like a friendship bracelet and a cellphone and put him on Facebook and poo poo.

End with a classic 90s friendship photo freeze frame of them all fishing or something, Apocalymon using his chains to catch Whamon, everyone's laughing.

lezard_valeth posted:

Someone dropped this on tumblr. Let the WMG begin!

This was Piedmon's convoluted plan to do that, but against the digidestined.

"I'm gonna make Gennai evil, and six years later, he's gonna cause poo poo that requires a full reboot of the Digital world. Him and some chick he recruits to his side before then will use their knowledge of what happens to thwart the digidestined at every step, and then there will be no one to stop us. Victory will be ours!"

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
If this does go the "Piedmon (or someone else) put this into play long ago to weaken the Digidestined" route, is it bad of me to want Piedmon to claim everything that happens was all according to plan?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Now would that be a hula-style, or rasta-style Digimon?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Isn't it a new guy for the Tri designs, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Was this a contest winner? Or designed during a "take your child to work" day?

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesmon is the coolest. I love his design, and Hackmon's evolution path is probably one of the smoothest in terms of continuity.

Very interesting way to spell "Kabuterimon".