Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think we can agree that Saban didn't give Digimon music as good as the music they gave the Power Rangers. As much as I'd like a song as good as Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for Digimon, it didn't happen. That said, I wonder if the Disney music was any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They're still making Digimon games in Year Of Our Lord 2015? The last one I knew of was Digimon World 4. How many have I missed and were any of them worth looking at?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rudoku posted:

Digimon World DS, it's sequels Digimon World: Dusk and Dawn, another one that was kinda lovely (World Tournament I think). Those are the ones that came out in the U.S. There's a shitload that never left Japan.

Apparently, one of those games that never left was a PSP RPG of the entire first season of Digimon that included everyone's warp evolutions.

I think I'm going to cry because this is never coming to the states.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, when did Adventure' Gatoman's mega form change from Magnadramon to Ophanimon and why?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Endorph posted:

Digimon Adventure 02 had about seventy writers. One of them wrote Cthulhu fiction.

This explains a lot.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eggs hatched, we got cast and Butter-fly and Brave Heart are in the series.

Love how goofy the digimons look :3:

:3:

Covok
May 27, 2013

This is kind of a perfect combo:

Do we have any real confirmation the release is in April?

vivisecting posted:

I hope so. Do people still use irc to download anime? I guess NOWADAYS you could use twitter to follow your favourite subbers and torrent the episode when they tweet its out. Or is that too optimistic? Please don't tell me I have to do irc again.

While I have no idea myself since I haven't used fansubs since I was 13, I imagine they wouldn't use twitter since that's a big, flashing, red sign to the content holders.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Saver also have the best Leomon in the whole series.

BanchoLeomon was one of the best characters. Hands down. Also, everyone's digimon reached the same level by the end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait, so it was originally going to be a japanese style school gang anime with digimon? That's pretty weird and pretty radical.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hi, if I wanted to give this series of shows a try should I start with Digimon Tamers? That seems to be the best one from what people are saying.

Either season 1 or season 3 would be a good start. Both were made (though the former did get a sequel) to be standalone so you need no information going in. They are both great seasons with a good story progression, well developed characters, and some fun action. While I watched the dub growing up, it might be best to track down the original Japanese with subs as the dub is kind of cringe worthy in retrospec. Season 5 is another really good season, just saying, but is very shonen-like while the rest of the series isn't as much.

Quick warning, all the seasons -- at least the ones I watched (1-5) --, are 52 episodes long. I just felt you should know.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

The dub of Tamers has Steve Blum being awesome without being typecast as Spike.

Steve Blum has done so, so many roles that this is not the only time that happened. That said, the agent guy was a really cool character.

mikeycp posted:

However, don't watch the dub if you are adverse to puns and some dated jokes.

I'm the type who really, really hates pun hence the "cringe worthy" comment. I suppose mileage will vary on that front.

Covok
May 27, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

I was talking about Guilmon.

Wait a minute, that was Steve Blum?

Now, I see what you mean by "not typecasted."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, that was enlightening. I must say that I did not expect him to just switch into that voice out of nowhere.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh, what? Did you even watch Frontier? Write off Takuya and Kouji and you don't have a series anymore. You can write off the other four and have no changes whatsoever, the series is horribly main/rival-focused, far more than any Digimon series before, to the point of making everyone else powerless to feed them.

Literally!

That was the worst idea in the entire season.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edward IV posted:

Not only that, in one fight they had the depowered side characters provide support with, get this, a catapult. :psyduck: Unless they were chucking nukes or something, they would have been better off on the side lines providing commentary on the fight.

I only saw that fight in the previous episode recap but of course they had their poo poo kicked in at the start of the episode.

Thanks to UPN's inconsistent scheduling and release of new episodes, I ended up missing much of season between the defeat of evil bunny god and shortly before the reveal of the end boss. Of course with that ending, I couldn't be bothered to wait for those episodes to be re-aired. Thanks to :filez: I could but again why bother.

You're not missing much. They all follow the same format: Royal Knights attack a place from an earlier part of the season, whats-their-faces go mega while everyone else twiddles with their thumbs, the villains win yet don't kill the heroes and run off to the next place.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I'm almost tempted to do that, but I've only watched the series in Japanese.

I don't see how only seeing the Japanese version is stopping you from doing that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I don't know how much of the series was changed in translation and I expect most people are more familiar with the dub.

But wouldn't you just be talking about how the series itself messed up, not how the dub screwed up?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Are you trying to convince me to rewatch Frontier?

Perchance.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

The best part of Digimon to me will always be the vaguely cthulhu mythos-ish depiction of data and the internet. I'm not sure why they haven't just plain explicitly advertised it as a more kid-friendly version of the SMT series, instead of just getting an artist or two. Social Links with Digimon, Fusion systems to get new ones, that sorta thing. Probably clean up.

I think they have done the former in atleast one game and I distinctly remember DNA Digivolution basically being SMT fusion in the games.

Astro Nut posted:

Tell me you don't trust this smile:

I am only here to serve!

Covok
May 27, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

They gave everyone megas (though you have to go out of your way for them) in the tie-in Adventure retelling game so it'd be kinda silly not to have them.

I hope they think that way because it sucks when only two of the get to shine in the last arc.

This does introduce something: since it's going to be a shoot towards mega, what's next? Usually they aren't already almost at top tier at season start.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Burkion posted:

I have to call BS on this entirely because *ALL* of the Season 1 kids shone like Diamonds in the final arc. No one was more important than the others (except TK and MagnaAngemon)

It was really awesome how they kept the Ultimate level Digimon not only relevant, but super useful in the battles, and in the end against Piedmon the FIRST two to get chumped were the loving Mega Levels.

Angemon and all Angemon type of Digimon are just super broken in season 1, so Magna Angemon wrecked house. It kinda sucks that none of the others went Mega, but they really didn't have to.

The same cannot be said of Season 2 or 4.

Yeah, you right. All of the season 4 poo poo kind of got me mixed up when it comes to memories.

Covok
May 27, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's probably one of 02's famous continuity/don't give a gently caress errors. Because there's a flashback that explicitly shows the kids give up if not their crests, then definitely their powers at some point after Adventure, but before 02.

This is why 02 needs to be de-canonized :ssh:

Nothing of value would be lost except for, maybe, jogress evolution, but I think that exists elsewhere.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Could Tri be the Battle of Gods to Digimon Season 2, Digimon's "GT"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

Truer words were never spoken. gently caress 02. It ended at Children's War Game and 02 was an alt-timeline. Tri is the other alt-time line.

What was up with Children's War Game's animation? It was very different, in a good way. Looked expensive to make.

Covok
May 27, 2013

AtheistMantis posted:

Oh man, remember in V-Tamer how crazy it was when that one guy's gimmick was to jogress and then partition his Omegamon to effectively have infinite heals?

I think so. I remember thinking that it was awesome the comic was mentioning -- I assume, at least -- a software exploit in the game and making it a plot point. I assume, atleast.

Also, it was so odd in V-Tamer how Tai was the main character, but his digimon was Veedramon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mateo360 posted:

Just a small story I want to post.

Back when season 1 was airing on Fox Kids, my friend and I made our own Digimon partner, crest, etc like little kids love to do when they pretend (We were in ether 4th or 5th grade by that point). The interesting part is that we also decided to make up our own different ways of digivolving. She came up with fusing with her digimon (bio-merge) to be a different level. I decided it would be cool if I could digivolve as well (Spirit evolution). So I always get a laugh when watching Tamers or Frontier just by the fact we came up some of the methods before the show did.

Ever consider a class action lawsuit for intellectual property right infringement? I'm an internet certified lawyer. My ten seconds of googling makes me think that we might have a case. Just...pay me upfront. That's...standard.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

The Love Love Dance will forever be up there in the pantheon of "poo poo aired on National TV for a child audience that is both japanese and animated that will ruin your parents' perspective on your chosen preference in media."

It was also loving bizarre.
Like, even by Japanese Standards.

I didn't watch anything past season 5 and, thanks to this post, I just saw this.

What...what is the context?

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Bee posted:

I dunno man, Okuwamon's a Kuwagamon derivative. And we all know Kuwagamon's 3 for 3 against the protags.

Kuwagamon is secretly the strongest digimon in the whole digital world as it has built an immunity against attacks by protagonists. Pixiemons, on the other hand, are its one bane.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yeah, I mean occasionally other characters get to do stuff but Izumi's only real victories are against one other character, and it's weird to say this but... This show has a problem with the protagonists getting their rear end kicked. Because it's not just the late-game Royal Knights, early on they're getting loving ruined by everyone to.

So, it's suffering from Beast Machine syndrome?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, they did say Digidestined in their English teaser a while back so it's not that surprising. Funny enough, since I don't follow Japanese Digimon, I didn't even notice these inconsistencies since they are what I expect, know what I mean?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Squallege posted:

4 Greymon megas??? I only thought there was War Greymon!

You have much, much to learn. They love giving Greymon new forms.

Covok
May 27, 2013

They don't have to be dead. Since they were the active heroes at the time, they tried to fix things first, got chumped, and were captured. Like, they can just be captured by the villain.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Geostomp posted:

They really, really don't want anything from 02 if they'd bother to revert the two D3s back to the original model digivice design.

Considering 02 was a flop and Adventure fans are why they made this, makes sense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It lead to a movie that was pretty cool for 2/3rds of the whole deal...the last 1/3 is easily skipped.

Covok
May 27, 2013

mateo360 posted:

I fairly certain they were only at the second set of Armor evolutions since I remember it being awesome to see Raidramon early.

FAKE EDIT: Looking at the release dates. The movie Premiered October 6, 2000 and the episode Raidramon first appeared in aired October 7, 2000

A whole day early.

Also, I remember only really rewatching the Our War Games segment when I was younger. Though, the first part was bad.

Also, even at 7 years old, I remember that AA short being embarrassing to watch.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That's weird. I didn't mean to say bad. I meant to say good. And that's not me doubling back, I honestly meant to say good. I'm kind of confused how I typoed that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just saw Reunion. It was pretty good, but why did no one go past Champion until the end? Also, shouldn't everyone know what digimon are now due to the ridcolous number of digidestined introduced in season 2?

Covok
May 27, 2013

To be frank, second half 02 is a fever dream to me so I don't actually remember how much this conflicts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just saw Determination. Man, that got loving brutal at the end. Poor Leomon. Dead in the human world is a bad fate.

Also, the big ultimate evolution thing could have been done a little better. It was a little too compressed, but I get why they did it that way: the show has always been more about the character's personal growth than the action.

That loving heel turn, btw. I though Mei might have been behind it, but drat.

Also, anyone else see that smirk on Himi-whateverhernameis' face when Mei went loving Jason Vorhes on Leomon? There is clearly some poo poo going on there.

So, if all the 02 guys have been turned evil, doesn't that mean a lot of them are a lot smaller of a threat since they can't even go Ultimate/Perfect without Hikari and T.K?

I think my main issue with the series is that cutting what was clearly meant to be a 1:30 movie into four parts fucks with the pacing. Even if you watch them back to back, it's noticeable. It should just be put out as one movie in the west, as I'm sure it was in the East. I guess they had their reasons. Quicker to release in chunks?

The boob jiggle on Rosemon was really unnecessary.

How many more movies are we going to get out of Tri?

Covok
May 27, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

There are four more.

Six total? Alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

By the way, has every season so far introduced a new version/evolution of Greymon? It feels that way.