Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tamers was pretty fair about it, Guilmon's final power up with the dead spaceship didn't seem that much stronger than most megas, and the main three kids got the mega form, some rival dude that didn't show up often got it and the broody edgy 'mon got it as well, just people that didn't get digimon 'till halfway through the series missed out on Mega.

Except the kid that got a fully evoloved MarineAngemon straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sato posted:

Maybe because MagnaAngemon appeared so rarely?

Really, there was a lot of weird stuff going on with Gatomon. She was able to armor digivolve despite being a champion because her tail ring was gone which is really weird. She also went back to being Salamon while pretty much all the newbie Digimon went back to being babies after DNA digivolving. I always figured the writers forgot she was supposed to be a champion at times.

Hell, the old PSX card game had two different Gatomon. One Rookie (as a Partner), one Champion.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon just has a really weird love-hate relationship with Angemon, where he either is a total badass or cannon fodder that'd make Krillin proud. No middle point.

And Leomon. Never forget Leomon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Didn't they have the whole Data -> Virus -> Vaccine triangle? Pretty much all the partner digimon are Data types which are naturally weak to Virus types (the entire Devimon evo line, Piedmon, Puppetmon, etc.) and Angemon/Gatomon were the only Vaccine types in the team. So, yeah, it was a mix of Angemon being strong for a Champion and getting a natural edge against 90% of the big bads due to typing.

I mean, they also treated Andromon like a loving powerhouse. He was a Champion holding off Megas in the second half of Adventure.

Andromon was a Perfect/Ultimate, and they said it was one of the strongest Digimon of it's class.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Astro Nut posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure the notion of him being a level higher as solidly in stone at the time - the same way Whamon has shifted about a bit.

The old keychains had Perfect/Ultimate as the final stage, so there was that at least.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Astro Nut posted:

Gotta say, Agumon looks even more top heavy than before.

Beyond that though, has anyone translated the text yet?

But the real question is: will he evolve into big gut Greymon or the cruddy blue one from Xros Wars?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nahxela posted:

Does Jeri from Tamers count?

Make it a completely different kid, but keep the suicide sock puppet.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Covok posted:

They're still making Digimon games in Year Of Our Lord 2015? The last one I knew of was Digimon World 4. How many have I missed and were any of them worth looking at?

Digimon World DS, it's sequels Digimon World: Dusk and Dawn, another one that was kinda lovely (World Tournament I think). Those are the ones that came out in the U.S. There's a shitload that never left Japan.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Covok posted:

Apparently, one of those games that never left was a PSP RPG of the entire first season of Digimon that included everyone's warp evolutions.

I think I'm going to cry because this is never coming to the states.

Remember Ryo from Digimon Tamers? He had a whole series of games and was Veemon's first tamer. And had a Demon Lord Digimon after his booty.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

This was always something that bugged me too.

Season 2 is just incompatible with season 1 as far as ANY of the backstory goes.

That and I wanted to see what Wormmon's Perfect form would be if the D.Kaiser didn't waste his crest making a shitmon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't know which series that is but the third one was so good and then the next series started and everyone was just annoying and I never watched another digimon again.

And now it's like 10 years later.

Savers is the one with the main guy punching Digimon with his punk Agumon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Endorph posted:

i dont think the caution worked because i thought skull greymon was cool as gently caress

They didn't get the "maybe this wasn't a good idea" thing right until Meggidramon. That fucker was creepy. I heard Data Squad had a Greymon fuckup, too. Was it scary?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

everythingWasBees posted:

Yup. There are a few battles where an evolved agumon is desperately needed for support so he has to figure out a way to punch the digimon in the face.

And in Xros Wars 2, he can murder waves of Belial Vandemon with his fists.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

I would unironically support this plot.

WE HAVE BEEN CALLED TO ABORT SEASON 2 AND ITS DUMB PLOT!

Let's step that up by making Alphamon the real Xveemon's Mega/Stingmon's Mega Jogress.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Craptacular! posted:

Yup, and it goes double for Sailor Moon.

Honestly, all the arguing about dialogue differences and the inferred meanings of them and so on is like the very worst of anime fandom.

Come on. You know there's something worse. I don't even have to say it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. The original Japanese version didn't have different voices for the different forms? :psyduck:

Nope. It's funnier in Tamers when you get Saint Galgomon sounding like a baby, and Guilmon's forms sounding like granny Goku.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

They gave Culumon a proper evolution? And Stingmon a whole line?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Digimon World 2 was an interesting game. I hated every moment of it, but I couldn't put it away. I think me renting that and Conker was what kept my local blockbuster afloat.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Black King Numemon is my new favorite. Beats the poo poo out of Platinum Sukamon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That and I never thought Angewomon was any stronger than the other Perfects. Angemon was the showoff.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I don't know what to tell you if you don't care for a dude punching a Drimogemon in it's dumb face. And Banchou Leomon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

But nothing beats hitting that perfect combination that gives you 3 Ultimate/Mega Digimon with a Poop attack.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Everytime pokemon even attempts to do anything interesting, Japan gets demolished by earthquakes. They just gave up.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And don't forget all the recolors.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Twiddy posted:

From now on I'm referring to all the recolors as shinies (IE, Vegiemon and Shiny Vegiemon).

ToyAgumon, hell regular Agumon, has like 4 shinies to itself.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

So was there any reason Ogremon never came back in season 2?

Really hoping he isn't killed in Tri

He was probably busy raising his Elecmon buddy so they can fight to the death again.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mikeycp posted:

I can not comprehend why they keep remaking that game.

And without custom characters. It's 2016 and the MC's in Digimon are unimportant weirdos.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I try to get Leomon or Gaomon types, but this time I'm going for Platinum Numemon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

How could I forget about Impmon? I love the little bastard! Did they ever give him a proper Adult/Champion and Ultimate form?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Pagumon. You'll probably find wild Impmon before you can convert those, though. poo poo, I haven't even found the Baby 1 form yet (the eyeball with no claws)and I'm in chapter 6.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I just noticed that the picture's missing HoneyBeemon, the best armor.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rhonne posted:

They really missed an opportunity to bring in the Bancho digimon. Have Leomon digivolve to BanchoLeomon, die, then pass on his Bnacho powers to Lilymon. It just seems so obvious!

You have to earn the Banchou title.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

Here's how you make the Digimon movie great.

You watch up to Omnimon killing Diaboramon and then you hard cut to the credits.

gently caress the last half of that movie.

Basically, dump 02 junk.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rhonne posted:

Is Revenge of Diaboromon canon? It's a direct sequel to Our War game after all.

I think that movie is in the "Why not?" category. Paladin Mode is canon enough now.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Geostomp posted:

Isn't Paladin Mode a Royal Knight? I have to imagine that makes for some awkward moments around the Royal Break Room between him and Omnimon.

Nah. His cousins Ulforce Veedramon and Magnamon are. He did found the group, so he may have quit like Gankoomon tries to do.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I had a guide and still couldn't figure it out. There are only like three people in the whole world who know that game inside and out,

Yeah and Numemon was the worst game over ever.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Numemon was the easiest path to power in the game. Get to Toy Town, evolve it into Monzaemon, bam. Nearly no-effort high-power Perfect level.

Not if it's your first Champion anywhere before Toy Town.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hah they made OmegaShoutmon a Champion. That's cold.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mikeycp posted:

I'm so sorry.

I'd be up for feeling your pain if the drat game had Impmon as a Digimon partner. And watch that be the preorder bonus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mikeycp posted:

I'm not sure what you said and what I said really go together.

I know how much you hate the Digimon World games, and the hell you went through during that last Let's Play. I was saying I'd deal with the bullshit gameplay if they gave me my favorite Digimon, then remembered what they did for the PS4 international versions of Cyber Sleuth (added stuff that should've been in the game in the first place as DLC).