Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

Putting rock samples into an anti-mass-spectrometer, what does the world have to gain from that? Was it worth the risk of a resonance cascade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

something about teleportation, but aliens didnt like it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

uhhh you can't ask what the gain is, it's science, idiot. it's the adventure of discovery. if it weren't for that we wouldn't have radio or radiation or alien invasions.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes science is all about exploration and discovery. an experiment doesn't always have to be done for a purpose other than to gain a little knowledge about the universe around us

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Korthal posted:

Putting rock samples into an anti-mass-spectrometer, what does the world have to gain from that? Was it worth the risk of a resonance cascade?
They were looking for a better way to teleport things that didn't involve leaving portals somewhere for all eternity.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Great Joe posted:

They were looking for a better way to teleport things that didn't involve leaving portals somewhere for all eternity.

And what did that have to do with scanning a rock :confused:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I just wanna know why they have the automated tram system and robots that carry hazardous waste around and poo poo but not only can they not put the button to start the rotors outside the test chamber they have to send a scientist with PHD in physics in there instead of a disposable robot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Korthal posted:

And what did that have to do with scanning a rock :confused:
:science:

Korthal
May 26, 2011

SeXReX posted:

I just wanna know why they have the automated tram system and robots that carry hazardous waste around and poo poo but not only can they not put the button to start the rotors outside the test chamber they have to send a scientist with PHD in physics in there instead of a disposable robot.

Have to put that HEV suit to good use.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
they were saying i need to teleport my bae

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I bet they were smoking mad weed.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they're trying to teleport burgers directly into gaben's mouth because he's too fat to move LMFAO!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Black Mesa was tired of getting owned by Cave Johnson in science.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman..Rise and...Shine..

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Postdocs are cheaper and automated sample introduction doesn't look sexy to Congress. They're a national lab, not industry.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
they were bored as poo poo and throwing stuff together and playing with stuff like the demon core experiments

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
they were trying to teleport half life 3

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Well in Half-Life 2 they confrim that Doctor Breen was being a gently caress and he downplayed the likelihood of a resonance cascade happening because he's the evil bad guy.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Gordon Freeman showed up late, probably drunk from spending too much time with that drat mongoloid security guard Barney, and then hurriedly put on his HEV suit. When he got to the experiment he didn't even go over safety protocols or check any data, he just jammed the test material into the beam. Freeman is the actual bad guy cause he is a gently caress up who just doesn't give a poo poo about his job.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Gordon Freeman showed up late, probably drunk from spending too much time with that drat mongoloid security guard Barney, and then hurriedly put on his HEV suit. When he got to the experiment he didn't even go over safety protocols or check any data, he just jammed the test material into the beam. Freeman is the actual bad guy cause he is a gently caress up who just doesn't give a poo poo about his job.

The actual bad guy is the state of US healthcare for not allowing Gordon to seek help for his alcoholism and his severe mental issue where he sees everyone as the same guy as long as they're in a specific category

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Listen, it was all within acceptable parameters.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
But there's no sense crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

at least those fuckers with the singing robot could teleport

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

What should be even more confusing to you op is how no one seems to notice or care that if you switch a few adjectives around the plot of half-life is exactly the same as doom

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
They're waiting for you, Gordon.

etc. etc.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mysterious loyall X posted:

they're trying to teleport burgers directly into gaben's mouth because he's too fat to move LMFAO!
lol

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
4-D memes

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Benny D posted:

What should be even more confusing to you op is how no one seems to notice or care that if you switch a few adjectives around the plot of half-life is exactly the same as doom

They were trying to copy both Doom and Quake.

Half-life was the third genre-defining FPS in a row where the plot was 'humans gently caress around with teleportation technology, angry monsters come swarming through'. It was like the default 90's videogame plot.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

bah!

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
you can go back out to the monorail afterwards by crowbarring the computer terminal :ssh:

e: I want to make an alternate ending HL1 mod where Freeman can just catch the monorail back out to the car park, and drive right the goddamn hell out of there, probably back to Albuquerque. He just goes home and has a nice dinner AND THAT'S IT GABEN, OKAY, I DON'T WANT TO CRAWL IN VENTS OR DEAL WITH SCARY ALIENS JUST LET ME LEAVE

psyman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
scientists were trying to get mad cash and accolades which would lead to them getting their dick wet

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

they wanted to see if the aliens liked cheese

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

psyman posted:

you can go back out to the monorail afterwards by crowbarring the computer terminal :ssh:

e: I want to make an alternate ending HL1 mod where Freeman can just catch the monorail back out to the car park, and drive right the goddamn hell out of there, probably back to Albuquerque. He just goes home and has a nice dinner AND THAT'S IT GABEN, OKAY, I DON'T WANT TO CRAWL IN VENTS OR DEAL WITH SCARY ALIENS JUST LET ME LEAVE

with all of the weird hl1 mods made back in the day you'd think someone wouldve made a mod where everything goes right at the start of hl1 and gordon goes home after a boring day at work

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

SeXReX posted:

We have to use our whole budget or else we'll get less next year

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

closeted republican posted:

with all of the weird hl1 mods made back in the day you'd think someone wouldve made a mod where everything goes right at the start of hl1 and gordon goes home after a boring day at work
TBH I'd like to play this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Greetings.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A complete lack of experimental controls, pre-written hypotheses, and most importantly, data.

All the electronics are like, input only. No outputs anywhere.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

they were trying to accomplish making a neat game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
half life 3 is a prequel that uses the MIT online courses to have you actually learn theoretical physics

• Locked thread