Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Unguided posted:

What does everyone have planned for the final game they'll play this year? I'll probably just choose something arbitrarily on New Year's Eve.

I won't have time for video games on NYE but I'll probably finish up my PC run of DaS2 finally. I beat it on PS3 when it came out but for some reason I could just never get into it the way I got into DeS or DaS. I know there was kind of a lovely argument about the quality of DaS2 recently in the other thread but there it is, I don't think it's as good.

Bleusilences posted:

I really hope The Division is good.

RIP

Sweet if it is good but I bet it isn't even a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bleusilences posted:

I think I said it in another thread but I really want a game like that. The fact that it's been push back and the track records of ubisoft tell me it will either be a revolution or another watch_dog.

Don't you get that too good to be true vibe? A good 3rd person shooter with loot mechanics, a persistent open world, insane graphics, AND it's all online? Even if they pulled it all off, they'd pack it with non cosmetic microtransactions.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

scraps69 posted:

I'm really sinking my teeth into Eve Online, and Hearthstone. Is WOW Draenor any good?

It owns

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why in the YOOL 2014 are games still using FXAA as the only AA option

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

what game is this? most have moved on that ive seen

Mordor. It has built in super sampling which I really appreciate in either case but my PC is an aging midrange rig and I'd rather not sacrifice that much framerate for decent image quality..

Also IDK what Alien uses but it isn't working

Edit: it has SMAA but there's still jaggies out the wazoo

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

kewpuh has called people fags too

system shock 2 had some cool voice acting from SHODAN but nothing in the entire 'shock' series, bio or system, has ever really been all that worthwhile.

System Shock 2 is amazing. An interesting fact I didn't even learn while playing is that it actually has the full stealth system from Thief in it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Maybe I'll give it another go just playing like a dick, it just felt like you were playing against the game's expectations even more than usual and that took me out of it. I guess that's why Saint's Row works so well, where the actual narrative and gameplay mechanics are perfectly in sync with the player being a tremendous dick.

Sleeping Dogs knows it's a video game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ahundredbux posted:

Me and my buddy played dead space 3 co-op and origin was never any problem

Origin is the PC digital download equivalent to having a game in a paper sleeve.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Revengeance is the most fun I've had with a character action game since God Hand.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hubris.height posted:

i am looking forward to playing that sometime after i finish lightning returns

then im gonna play mgs 2 and 3

For maximum enjoyment please play 2 and 4 first. It's for the sake of you enjoying those as much as it is for the sake of Revengeance.

Revengeance probably works just fine on its own, but it's better if you know MGS.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

hubris.height posted:

i have played 2 before like a decade ago and just remember some cyber nonsense

but i don't know if i want to touch 4 it seems like a lot of time to sink into cinematics for a series im unsure if i even like

If you can deal with 2 you can deal with 4. A lot of the cinematics are front loaded, but I believe there are still fewer than there are in 2. Also, it sets up Revengeance.

But yeah if it turns out you don't enjoy playing them obviously just skip to Revengeance and cut the poo poo out of some robots.

Edit: for clarification 3 is the best MGS but it contributes the least to enjoyment of Revengeance imo which is why I didn't mention it.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Static Rook posted:

I was one of the very whiny babies who was upset at the Raiden swerve in MGS2 when it first came out. Now I am older and wiser and appreciate it. G_d bless Hideo Kojima.

The Raiden bait and switch was so amazing, and it let Snake be a total badass who is one step ahead of the player at almost all times.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ArfJason posted:

was this good? been a big oddworld fan since i was a kid and i was ecstatic they kept trying to bring it back and wouldn't mind playing a better abe's oddysey

It's Abe's Odyssey. It owns.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ArfJason posted:

exoddus was even better though. that quicksave, man

I have excellent news for you.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

What's the difference between a character action game and an action game?

Character action is a pretty loose term but you usually use it for the type of game where you run around hitting XXY and poo poo to do a combo. Virtually always third person behind the back or over the shoulder. Can include puzzles and platforming but it doesn't have to, I normally see it applied to games that focus on combat. Devil May Cry, God of War, and Bayonetta are canonical examples.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

Hoooly poo poo Blacklist is a good game.

Just did that mission with the panic room and taking out those commandos in one smooth motion felt good, man.

If I specifically want a stealth rear end stealth game close to Chaos Theory is it good?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Problem Sleuth posted:

Hm. The twirl around shooter bit sounds kind of fun actually but I can't say I really want to play a poop rape abortion game. I guess it's good I didn't shell out :tenbux: for it on the sale

It's a fun game and while it's technically a twin stick shooter it doesn't play a drat thing like the ones that are out there.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

The Gane cube controller was almost literally perfect

It's too small imo

I also don't get why Nintendo liked those non-round wells for the analog sticks, didn't make any sense to me

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

started Dark souls 1 yesterday. Apparently I am better at gaming than I was 2 years ago because it is a lot easier than when i tried it when the PC version came out. I hope I can stick with it an finally beat the game.

Kicking is hard still though. I guess that's on purpose? half the time I do a lunge attack.

The timing is pretty tight on the kick. Early on I had to consciously force myself to start moving the stick forward first, but after enough practice you can do it naturally

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The word human being has completely lost its novelty

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alain Post posted:

MGS3. All of them but MGS4 are good, though.

I like 4

Decent gameplay and Kojima set out to wrap up most of the loose ends in his batshit fuckin story and by God he did it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobby The Rookie posted:

In one of the sloppiest ways possible. I do like that article some person wrote detailing how MGS4 is just about Kojima finally throwing his hands up, tired of being forced to keep working on the series.

To tell the truth I don't think there was a clean and satisfying way to resolve it all. Cutting the Gordian knot in this case is just blowing up the world or something.

That's Kojima's own fault for writing a story that insane and contrived but that's not a worthwhile criticism now since that's kind of the thing that makes the story fun.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Buck Turgidson posted:

I got the Heretic/Hexen bundle while it was on sale and I'm really enjoying Heretic. It's basically a well-made fantasy doom wad. Hexen, on the other hand, is total garbage. The gameplay is basically wandering around lovely maps with boring enemies and only a couple of crap weapons looking for switches, then aimlessly poking around trying to figure out what the switch changed, which is often in a different map entirely. Am I missing something or are the Hexen games just awful?

I still like Hexen but the modern day consensus is that Hexen sucks. Heretic is just Doom with a wizard skin so of course it owns now and forever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

I love people defending this, saying that it's just a parody and the game really opens up later on.

It doesn't. It's still the same poo poo brown shooter.

^^^ Well designed custom wads are usually built along the idea that you're an expert at the game, or at least have some idea of how certain mechanics work (i.e. pain thresholds, the bfg mechanics etc) and are more like real-time puzzle games than the regular doom stuff.

SS3 isn't as good as SS1 obviously but this is plain wrong, get to the end of the game some time

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

Why would I want to get to the end of a poo poo game and hope it turns out better when I can play a better game (any of the previous SS, including 2) and experience the end state right from the start?

There's a point where something stops being a parody and starts being what you're parodying, and I think it's about the time you're forced to do lovely unfun things for no real reason.

There's 3 sorta crappy levels at the beginning. That's basically it. They're not nightmarishly bad, just a minor bummer. You don't have to play the game, I don't think it was super amazing, just don't mislead people. It's absolutely a Serious Sam game by the end.

For what it's worth, in coop on the difficulty where the enemies are invisible, even those first few levels are kinda fun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Eonwe posted:

does anyone know of a DOS game that was like Advance Wars

but obviously not advance wars

man up and play Wizard's Crown

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Seriously though the 310 should only be bought if you have a super strict budget, there's never a reason to get one anymore if you aren't building someone an emulation machine that absolutely must stay under $x. The DS4 software is basically invisible after setup, at least the ones I've used. I hit the PS button, it syncs to my bluetooth dongle automatically, done.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ArfJason posted:

cool enjoy the worst level design in the series

Doom 1s later levels aren't exactly amazing and the Doom 3 level design is just lovely hallways so it's a wash imo. Doom 2 has a better range of enemies and it also has the super shotgun so I think it's a fine choice

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

holy f*ck

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I did a good chunk of a Duke3d run at work

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Getting a job that you actively enjoy leaves you happier which is good for gaming.

Few things are sadder than someone who makes a pile of cash but talks about how much they hate their job all the time.
If you like your job you can be in the prime mental state for fun game sessions when you get home.

In my case I didn't play it because I hate my job I just played it because I had literally nothing better to do

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

it sort of boggles my mind that this works fast enough over an internet connection, even for older games, to... well, work :psyduck:

Since you're just grabbing video, it doesn't really matter whether the game is new or old(unless they seriously streamed 320x240 video for PSX I guess), only the actual pace of the game. One frame links are as impossible streaming Street Fighter 2 as they are streaming SF4 Ultra. I have no idea if either of those are available for streaming, just an arbitrary example.

It does work, but you'd never mistake it for running the game locally.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

QA question for people that know how games are made:

who are the people that test AAA games (my only impression is from the movie grandma's boy)?
My first guess would be sweatshop workers in the third world or no one at all in the case of some publishers.

Your standard QA guy has no qualifications, just any guy you'd see working at Chipotle or whatever. A buddy of mine actually started as a lowly QA guy and worked up to producer at a well known studio but I understand that to be an exception. He had no prior experience in any tech oriented job and has no experience coding or anything that would make him especially suited to QA software.

There's also computerized testing of games, so places will employ engineers to create tools that can execute certain kinds of tests.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

I legit didn't know CHIM was an Elder Scrolls term, having only played IV and V, until this thread.

Virtually nobody who played 3 knows it either because it's only for ultra spergs who read in-character posts from developers on forums.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SunAndSpring posted:

Most of the basics are in the 36 Sermons of Vivec. Reading all the Sermons in-game is difficult, though, because they're hidden all over the place.

Also it involves reading an in-game book for what I'm guessing is like 50+ IRL pages rather than off a nice page or kindle screen or whatever. I read that poo poo off my TV on my Xbox because I first played Morrowind on console and it was garbo. Also the books aren't clear on what's a metaphor and what's literally true and what's a bunch of nonsense and stuff, it's not like it just tells you "Well you see CHIM is like console commands..."

Morrowind owns, the graphic overhaul makes a weird looking game look somewhat weirder but with pretty sunsets, and rather than play Oblivion just play Morrowind and then Gothics 1 through 2

Skyrim is fine, someone new to the series might actually want to play it first so they aren't let down by it later

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well I'm not saying that as a criticism, just noting it as a reason some people(actually, I'm guessing 99.9% of people) who played Morrowind never even heard of CHIM

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Third World Reggin posted:

Harder than understanding that someone with fists lowers your stamina by hitting you.

It's cool how when people play video games they pretend that they are temporarily complete retards and can't figure out even the simplest things

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Stamina is barely even at issue, weapon skill makes it irrelevant quickly. Just don't make a stupid character class that has only minor or misc skills for weapons.

edit: Also if it isn't on by default turn on "always use best attack". as much as I wish it were, Morrowind is not Ultima Underworld.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Third World Reggin posted:

Morrowind combat is just like your posting

a swing and a miss and you don't know why

This would be a decent burn if Morrowind combat wasn't so simple a child could figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

It still sucked

True, great game with bad combat

• Locked thread