Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Beef Waifu posted:

megas in 10 minutes let's go
Bruce Campbell is MODOK, I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Oxxidation posted:

If you're actually counting what happened in the manga, then this was the actual reason for everything. Major manga spoilers follow:

The Red Man/Crimson King is actually Shiro, who gained her powers through a series of grotesque experiments conducted mainly by two people - Rinchirou Hagire, a completely loving bonkers biologist with a fascination for vivisection in particular, and Sorae Igarashi, Ganta's mother. Sorae deliberately conceived a child just so that she and Rinchirou could test biological weapons on it, but when she actually gave birth to Ganta, her parental instinct kicked in and she swapped out Ganta for another random child from the ward, which turned out to be Shiro.

Shiro displayed amazing resistance to the bioweapons tested on her, which eventually gave her tremendous regeneration capabilities and allowed her to manifest telekinetic powers through her blood. As his research developed, Hagire became so crazed with fascination at her pain (yes of course there's a loving sexual angle behind it, it's Japan and it's Deadman Wonderland) that he practically started flaying her alive during sessions to make her bleed more. Shiro's body deteriorated to the point where her limbs would start randomly dropping off, but she still couldn't die. She eventually developed the Red Man personality as a way to dissociate herself from everything.

Ganta grew up in the testing facility alongside Shiro and was pretty much her only friend, though he was still totally (and, it's hinted, deliberately) oblivious to everything going on with her. They liked to roleplay superheroes together, and Shiro's Red Man persona eventually became partly based on those same games; eventually she manifested it while they were playing and knocked his rear end out, but Ganta stood right back up again, making it the only time anyone didn't just break in half when Shiro attacked them. It left an impression on her.

Meanwhile, Sorae became steadily more deranged with guilt at what she was doing to Shiro, especially with Hagire egging it on the whole way. She covertly developed the Mother Goose system system to contain Shiro's power, but eventually the fact got out and she tried to justify it to Shiro by saying that it was for her own safety - if she overused her power too much, it'd probably kill even her. Shiro then happily cranked her powers up to their absolute limit in an attempt to commit suicide. poo poo got wrecked. The earthquakes happened and Deadman powers spread through the population. Ganta was evacuated from the area, and the last Sorae saw of him was him completely blocking out all memory that he ever knew Shiro. Sorae returned to the facility, activated the Mother Goose system, told Hagire to go gently caress himself, and shot herself in the head.

Hagire lost his poo poo at not being able to run his experiments to full capacity anymore; while Shiro recuperated, he used the Branch of Sin harvested from those creepy white-haired twins, Chan and En, to start body-snatching various people in an attempt to go undercover and prolong his own lifespan. Using those bodies, he created Deadman Wonderland to harvest Branches of Sin for himself in an attempt to become immortal like Shiro, so that they could fight and kill each other all they wanted, because he's a sadomasochistic nutcase. One of those bodies was the Jigsaw-looking warden that "Slimeball" Tamaki went bowling with. The next was Sakagami "Mockingbird" Toto.

For her part, Shiro somehow learned that Ganta was the original recipient for the experiments and still happily living outside of the facility. Out of vengeance for stealing her life and then forgetting about her, she butchered his classmates, set him up for the fall, and shot him with a fragment of her own power in an attempt to create a Deadman that could actually kill her. Tamaki just wanted a new Deadman and Hagire was completely oblivious to Shiro's plans, so Ganta stayed under the radar until he was in a position to screw up all the bad guys' plotting and let Shiro take center stage. The final big twist is that the Red Man was never really an alternate personality at all; Shiro was always in control, and her feelings of hate and suicidal self-loathing were just as genuine as her hopeless need to rekindle her friendship with Ganta.

I left out some stuff, but those are the main points. tl;dr: everyone's hosed at the Wonderland.
Yeah it's basically Bioshock Infinite towards the end there. A giant system built just to suppress and contain a god level being.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wait, do those Deadman Wonderland spoilers mean that Shiro dies at the end of Deadman Wonderland?

Because gently caress!! THAT. FUCKITY. JIVE. SHIIIIIIT!!!!! if it does. :cry:
No.

Argus Zant posted:

what the gently caress is this

oh man, the loving sidebars are really loving taking away from the nice HD-ness here
If you're running a 4:3 show in a widescreen broadcast you can either stretch it like they did before or pillarbox it like they're doing now. The pillarbox is better. If only they would stop stretching all their other shows.

Argus Zant posted:

whoa, what the gently caress? Since loving when does Bebop have an ED?
Welcome to The Real Folk Blues.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 4, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rhonne posted:

Also notice how it was a Rogue review and not Unity.
Rogue was the good one. Well the not horribly broken one.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

holy poo poo the cropping on kai sucks loving dick
It's a 4:3 show. Either they stretch or pillarbox.

Argus Zant posted:

the gently caress kind of Earth is this that there are goddamned dinosaurs running around

what, did Piccolo decide to train Gohan in Jurassic Park or what here
The president of earth in Dragonball is a dog.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

yeah, and the cropping to keep in the image in 4:3 is loving trash
You would rather they stretch it?

livingfruitvirus posted:

Most of the lineup is HD ready at this point. The few holdouts are Shippuden (made in standard definition, but that'll change soon), Ghost in the Shell (they'd need to get HD masters from Manga Entertainment), IGPX (the Toonami version would have to be re-created from scratch in HD), and Samurai Jack (made in standard definition).
I'm not talking about whether it's in HD or not, I'm talking about whether they stretch it or not.

IGPX is hilarious because they're stretching a 4:3 image that contains letterboxed 16:9 within it - it's like a million lovely youtube uploads vomited over the broadcast airwaves. But then it's IGPX so I doubt they or anyone else care.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

no dumbass im saying the stupid space poo poo looks like crap and it should be regular rear end black bars, just like everything else ever croppped on tv
The Toonami space planet background is fine. Though if they use it for anything but shows that have something to do with space it will be out of place.

In terms of bad pillarbox backgrounds, One Piece is pretty bad

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 11, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Man these upcoming episodes of IGPX are getting weird

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh yeah Ghost in the Shell is also stretched 4:3 of a letterboxed 16:9 image so it ends up looking hilariwide too

It would have been neat if Major wore a suit more often

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Didn't Bleach and FMA:B have the same issue going on as well?

I mean, that poo poo looks atrocious.
It's A M A Z I N G

Maleketh posted:

The DVDs have extra short cartoons after each episode. They're called "Tachikomatic Days" and are the most mind-boggling thing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TachikomaticDays/videos

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://marshmallowgoop.tumblr.com/post/105779879057/a-few-reasons-the-kill-la-kill-english-dub-is

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhsXnxl04w&t=70s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait where did Cowboy Bebop Remastered go?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waffleman_ posted:

Keep in mind this game is Call of Duty.
Well apparently it has lightsabers so I guess it's more like GUNZ THE DUEL?

Oh and I guess it's one of those sexist MMOs like Scarlet Blade so Kirito is a girl now

TwoPair posted:

This is all I've seen of SAO II and I feel it is important to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A5mM9j54zA
This makes the show look amazing though, I doubt it can live up to that

Kwyndig posted:

He really is too old, actually
Nonsense!

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 15, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Crabtree posted:

The problem with SAO is that their world is still having .hack issues with all these virtual reality games trapping people and killing them and NO ONE ANYWHERE IS RAISING A STINK ABOUT THEIR CONTINUED EXISTENCE. If it was just one or two games than it would be as insane, but apparently there are even more stories repeating the same loving problem over and over again, specifically challenging Kirito to beat their stupid death trap MMO.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In the end, isn't that a fairly accurate depiction of MMO's and the players that play them?
SAO was brilliant social commentary this whole time!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Maleketh posted:

How does Nappa know what the press is?

Rhonne posted:

I HATE THE MEDIA!

bondster posted:

haha Nappa, "I HATE THE MEDIAAAAAA!!!!!"

spoon0042 posted:

take that, liberal media!
Finally the truth behind the attack on Brian Williams

Kwyndig posted:

I actually liked Nappa blasting the press better than him just up and smashing a navy.
They should have kept that though, like the first Hyperbolic Time Chamber and the Driving Test, that was a good bit of filler.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Triskelli posted:

So Naruto ended, right?

Do Sasuke and Naruto finally gently caress each other, or is the homosex left unspoken.
They both married their beards so it's left unspoken but just as strongly hinted at

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There's no way all those people survived that transformation tho

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JT Jag posted:

Listen, Simon just punched a hole through reality

You shouldn't worry about the implications of what happens with the people inside an arc spaceship when it becomes a giant robot. They're ok, right? Because Simon loving wants them to be ok.
Sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM&t=64s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chris James 2 posted:

Sword Art Online season 2 premieres in a month and 7 days (March 28 at 1 AM) :suicide:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
King Furry Dog has been around since the original Dragonball, he knows to just let Goku take care of it.

And he also hates THE MEDIA

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 22, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JT Jag posted:

Raditz was like 6,000 or something
Nah Raditz was like a thousand or something

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

I want to see someone try to explain this show to their grandparents.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So this whole music video is mirrored?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiMHTK15Pik

Hace posted:

How is inuyasha so confusing
There's A LOT of plot and mythology

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waffleman_ posted:

Yoko still rocking that jacket.
Yoko's jacket is pretty cool

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Dimensional Anchors have pierced Imaginary Space"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Captain Invictus posted:

One Piece is my favorite series of all time in any medium and I still think the anime has poo poo down its own leg so hard that it's nigh-unwatchable.

If you think the pacing is bad now, it becomes ten times worse in around one more arc. There's an entire arc(that AS will never get to since it's a couple hundred episodes away)
I don't know, AS showed all 300+ episodes of Bleach...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Last time on Akiba/Rangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Last Time on AkibaRanger:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hace posted:

In that case I'm claiming this saturday to stream Princess Kaguya
Princess Kaguya was loving robbed at the Oscars

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Beef Waifu posted:

Holy poo poo are we actually going to watch something that's from the last decade and not subbed?

Waffleman_ posted:

The people wanted Slayers.
Also Slayers was dubbed

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I don't have any issue, I'm fine with the Z dub terminology but I know some people prefer the original/Kai dub terminology.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

and those people are called weeaboos

Triskelli posted:

That's terrible, and the Oscar voters are really poo poo wrt animation, but I agree that the LEGO Movie should've been nominated for something.
Apparently The Lego Movie had too much live action footage to qualify for the Animation Oscar.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece is coming to Saturdays at 8:30.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow that's interesting, is it that popular, or is that a death sentence, I don't know their hourly ratings.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's an encore, like DBZ Kai.
Huh, I guess it makes sense to encore their wide appeal shows that aren't ultragory at earlier times. Now they've got an effective extra hour.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hace posted:

STARTING NOW
Original Japanese with French Subtitles is the best way to watch it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You have come to a world called GUN GALE ONLINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A5mM9j54zA

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Thanks Steve Jobs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DEATH GUN

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Forgot the Last time on Sword Art Online The Second:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If there's anything we learned from the last few episodes of Naruto is that the entire series could have been watchable if it were about the adventures of Avatar Commander Shepherd instead of, you know, Naruto.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ironic LAST TIME ON KILL LA KILL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iX64NmUDA

Waffleman_ posted:

Kill la Kill: Ryuko fights Inumuta and starts fighting Nonon. I'm sorry, there's not a lot happening right now. Things will happen tonight and you'll wish they didn't.
:raise:

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, incredibly. Ladies and gentlemen, we're about to be introduced to the main plot of Kill la Kill.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Or rather, what happened after the studio got bored with the fight school routine.

I will say that the next 4 or so episodes aren't really bad per se, but they're not the same as the stuff before. Its really after that where things sort of take a down turn.

JT Jag posted:

"I'm not feeling this anime's central premise anymore. But we're contracted to do 26 episodes. Soooo..."

MrAristocrates posted:

I'll say it, though: these episodes are pretty bad. The fourth of those episodes, in particular, was the point I realized the show was just going to squander anything remotely interesting about its own setting, plot, or characters.
So is this something comparable to what happens after they wrap up the TRAPPED IN AN MMO WHERE YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE plot in SAO season 1 and they just spend the entire second half of the season in that fairy mmo where no one can die but Asuna is now a kidnapped princess trapped in a castle and regularly threatened with rape and it's just completely tonally and qualitatively inconsistent with the first half?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 19, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Is Gal Gun on steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242720/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester