Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mills
Jun 13, 2003

There's a bunch of rules that players should read here but a quick summary of the basic gameplay will follow.

---

How to play Monopoly Deal?

The objective of the game is to be the first player to complete 3 full property sets on the table in front of you. Each property card tells you how many property cards you need of that color to complete the set. For example, the dark blue set only needs 2 dark blue property cards to be completed and the black railroad set needs 4 railroad property cards to be a completed set.

There are 3 places where cards can be played during a turn:

1. A player can place money cards or action cards (rent, house, hotel, force deal, pass go, etc) face up in their bank.

2. A player can play property cards face up in front of them in their property section.

3. A player can play action cards in the middle discard pile.

Each player is dealt 5 cards at the start of the game and then picks up 2 cards from the remaining draw pile at the beginning of each turn.

Each player can play up to 3 cards per turn. A play is considered any time a card is laid on the table (such as money into your bank, property cards on the table, action cards played into the middle, etc). You do not need to play all 3 cards per turn if you do not want to.

At the end of each player’s turn, they cannot have more than 7 cards in their hand. If they do, they need to discard the excess cards into the discard pile.

Play clockwise around the table until someone completes 3 full property sets and they are the winner of that Monopoly Deal game!

---

This is a game for 3 players, who have pre-signed, but I will replace them if they don't confirm their spots so feel free to register interest.

Tremendous Taste
Ernie.
Jon Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Coinfirming.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yes

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

mhm

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Starting hands (5 cards) have been given out. The youngest player gets to go first (so draws another 2 cards, then plays up to 3). We're going to go by forum age so we're starting with Taste. Play then continues in the order of the OP.

I'm going to try and track down some images of the cards but at the moment I've sent you text information for your cards. This means there are no colours for a visual aid right now; you might want to find your physical copies of the cards to set up a game state at home to help you with this.

code:
Taste	<7>

Ernie.	<5>

JJoe	<5>

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Can I be the bank?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Rules reminder:

Each player can play (put down) up to 3 Property cards, Action cards, Money cards or any combination of the three each turn.
(1) Put money/action cards into the bank. If an action card is put into the bank, it will be treated as money until the game ends.
(2) Use action cards to take money, even properties from your rivals.
(3) Lay out properties.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Can I be the bank?

I'm afraid players (or, in this case, me) act as the bank. :(

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm playing Mayfair, old Kent road, and kings cross!

Sorry for the delay

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm not at a PC right now so I'll do a post later updating what the board looks like.

Taste plays:

MAYFAIR ($4M)
[1] Rent $3M
[*] Rent $8M

OLD KENT ROAD ($1M)
[1] Rent $1M
[*] Rent $2M

KINGS CROSS STATION ($2M)
[1] Rent $1M
[2] Rent $2M
[3] Rent $3M
[*] Rent $4M

For those who aren't familiar with the UK version of Monopoly, Old Kent Road is in the cheapest set and the equivalent of Baltic Avenue IIRC while Mayfair is in the most expensive set and the equivalent of Park Place IIRC. Kings Cross Station is a railroad. In this game, their property set colours are blue (Mayfair), brown (Old Kent Road), and black (Kings Cross Station).

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ernie draws two cards, and now may play up to 3 of them.

code:

Taste	<4>

Ernie.	<7>

JJoe	<5>

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I might have to size these smaller somehow.

Taste

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello one sec let me read the rules

i'll play my turn in the next ~10 minutes

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm here if you want to ask questions too (in-thread or via PM).

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I will ask in public so that if anyone else has the same questions they don't slow the game down later.

How can I tell the color of the property cards in my hand?
Why are some rank ups listed with a *?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

1. Ideally, I'll start sending you the photos instead of the text versions, but I've only just got to a scanner. Alternatively, pull out your physical version and cross-reference (though I'm not sure if you got the US version or the UK version).

2. I used [*] to denote full sets. Look at the photos I uploaded for Taste and it should make sense.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Also, if you find your physical set, there is a super useful 'quick start rules card' or some such which has some information that is quite good.

I'm slowly scanning cards at work. :(

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yeah I just read the quickstart card. I got the US version.

Okay if my understanding of the rules is right, TT put himself at a disadvantage by playing three properties, so I'll capitalize on that.

I'm playing:
Fleet Street property (can you please tell me its color eventually)
Then I'm putting my $3M action card 'House' in the bank to get its $3M value
And finally I'm playing Debt Collector on TT to take $5M from him

What happens with the properties he has to pay me now? Do I get to put them in front of me right away?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Let me upload those photos and I'll explain what happens.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ernie

OK so these are the cards you played. Fleet Street is in the red set. That house 'action card' is being used for it's monetary value, so it now becomes $3 in your bank.

And you're forcing Taste to pay you $5M. The first port of call for settling debts is from a player's bank but since Taste has no bank, he will be paying you in properties of his choosing, so long as the $5M is covered.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Current Board

Taste <4>

Ernie <4> ($3M)

JJoe <5>

No cards on board!

Action Queue

:siren: Taste to pay Ernie $5M.

Then JJoe will draw 2 cards and be able to play 0-3.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

when he pays me does it go directly into play for me or into my hand?

and what would happen if taste had no properties and no bank? would he pay me out of his hand or would it skip?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ernie. posted:

when he pays me does it go directly into play for me or into my hand?

and what would happen if taste had no properties and no bank? would he pay me out of his hand or would it skip?

Once cards are on the board, they stay on the board. So you'll be receiving properties from Taste that will go straight onto your board.

If he had no properties and no bank, your card would have been wasted.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

Once cards are on the board, they stay on the board. So you'll be receiving properties from Taste that will go straight onto your board.

If he had no properties and no bank, your card would have been wasted.

I know you won't care much when I say this but thank loving god, I mean that's exactly how the game should be played. I.e. if I take properties from someone they shouldn't be able to predict what I'll play 'next' by it going into my hand.

And the fact that a player's hand is off limits (i.e. I can't force someone to play out of their hand) is great and avoids a ton of RPG nonsense.

One last question: Maximum hand size?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

You'll be forced to discard at the end of your turn if you have more than 7 cards. (There's no way for you to gain cards when it's not your turn).

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I get it now. Jon Joe is mechanically disadvantaged if he tries to continue the chain of property stealing because should he ever use his turn to build a property (after stealingx3 for a turn or two) he'd immediately have it stolen back with the cards we are hoarding in our hands to protect ourselves, so we need to strike a balance.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Also, I told you this game loving owns and I meant it. It's close to perfect.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

It owns, but I wouldn't have called it Monopoly. Because it's basically a completely different game.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

:shrug:

Also I know y'all are Americans (well, Canadians too) but I'm irrationally mad that I sent you the US versions of Monopoly. I like the UK version. :(

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with monopoly?!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mills posted:

:shrug:

Also I know y'all are Americans (well, Canadians too) but I'm irrationally mad that I sent you the US versions of Monopoly. I like the UK version. :(

If it makes you feel better when I take this to board game nights with friends it'll probably be better so that they are exactly familiar with what they might buy should they like it that much!

Strategy question and you don't have to answer if you feel like it would affect the game: Is it better for TT to give me the 4+1 or the 4+2 (since the 2 is more difficult to build)?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I don't think I should comment.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Someone phone Taste and wake him up. :colbert:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Why can't I just give him money I'm really confused

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

Why can't I just give him money I'm really confused

You can only play things out of your hand on your turn. To pay for rent and penalties etc. you need to have money in the bank, which you can make by sacrificing properties or actions or actual money cards. Strategically, it's disadvantageous to sacrifice a property to the bank.

Since you have three moves per turn to play, you generally want to use them to patch up your weakest place. If you're too low on money in the bank, you'll lose your properties. If you're too low on properties, you can't win the game. And if you use too few actions you risk being a non-entity during someone else's quicker victory.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Mills posted:

Rules reminder:

Each player can play (put down) up to 3 Property cards, Action cards, Money cards or any combination of the three each turn.
(1) Put money/action cards into the bank. If an action card is put into the bank, it will be treated as money until the game ends.
(2) Use action cards to take money, even properties from your rivals.
(3) Lay out properties.

Mills posted:

The first port of call for settling debts is from a player's bank but since Taste has no bank, he will be paying you in properties of his choosing, so long as the $5M is covered.

tl;dr You put no money on the board so you have no bank.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

So I have to sacrifice property rn

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

railroads have value early but I will give it and mayfair away to ern

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Current Board

Taste <4>

Ernie <4> ($3M)

JJoe <7>

No cards on board!

Action Queue

:siren: JJoe to play between 0 and 3 cards.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Two more questions:

Are cyan and blue the same?
Does playing a single card count as the first level? Or do levels only count starting with upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Cyan is light blue, blue is dark blue.

I don't know what you mean by levels.

• Locked thread