Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
So I'm not to sure where to proceed from here. I feel like my current position is coming to a point of no return, not so much because I am not meeting there expectations but because they are not meeting mine. I know it's kind of a very vague general way to phrase it, but I really want an "adult" job. A position where I feel like I am contributing, and although it's not necessary, making a difference in the world. ( I like most people am truly happy to put that to the side if the position is paying enough, or I feel it is fulfilling enough.)

I am currently employed and have been employed for almost 1 year and 2 months at an indirect churn and burn site for one of the big 4 cellphone carriers. I am a basic tech/customer service agent. Actual title is Tier One technical support, but it's more or less glorified customer care with some light tech support that literally begins and ends with following check points, applying more personal knowledge than the company themselves is willing to admit, and then later transfering calls to a Tier 2 tech agent which is literally an agent trained to read the data transcriptions from in going/out going calls, and pings from various towers.

I do still want to stay in customer service, but I know that at times, customer service is one of those positions where you either get in and get the experience needed and then move to other positions, or wallow until you eventually are forced to move to another position, but my main skill the one thing I can take away from my experience, is that I am a caring compassionate person, who can genuinely put themselves into any position and have true empathy (Or feign it depending on personal emotions regarding a customers situation, despite what we are encouraged to do, there has never been a time where I would let my personal emotions shine through).

Before this I was employed at a small town pizza shop in Syracuse, NY for a good 5 years, and before I left I was currently being trained to be a supervisor, but this more or less meant I got to yell at all the people who were in my position before me. It wasn't a hugely glorified position, nor was it a real supervisor position, but it's the only other work position I had that wasn't a very short time temporary job I had with Welch Allyn through a subcontractor.

The main question I have is with my general knowledge and position what sort of position should I look for, or better put what would the official name be for the position I am trying to get into, if nothing more than Customer Service Rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What are your other skills? What kinds of jobs would you be interested in trying? Do you have a degree?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
That's the main issue, due in part to some infantile life issues I convinced my self were far more important than they were and my misguided loyalty to what ever job I choose I have no degree and no other skills than those that would get and secure someone a job at a call center. I am adept with Excell, different word proccesors and should the need apply powerpoint. More or less if it's in office suite I can use it.

I have experience with lots of different P.O.S. systems, and although its not a skill you can put on a resume because of the connotations it creates I have been trusted with sensitive customer information and large sums of money at both positions.

Mainley what I'm looking for is a position that opens me up to learn more and garner skills. I seek not to become a cog, but to become after time the machine. Goofy way to phrase it, but I want to garner experience and skills with a company that won't screw me over. Excuse my harshness I very rarely speak ill of my employers because of that loyalty I give them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jimson posted:

I seek not to become a cog, but to become after time the machine.
:350:

Whoa, man. Deep.

So, what does that mean? You want to go into management, become an executive? Work for yourself as a freelancer? Own your business with actual employees?

Also, you didn't answer moana's question about what kind of jobs you're interesting in trying. It's hard to give advice without more specifics.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Hahaha Ill just stop trying to be formal haha I guess I got stuck in the mindset of an interview in a few minutes I was gonna start talking about shifting paradigms and turning the zeitgeist on it's head lmao.

I would love to be in a management position or being an (oh god) idea guy for a small company helping shift there direction. Every idiot who watched mad men and Walstreet wants to be that guy.

More or less? I want to try my hand at managing customer needs for companies, who purchase and use a product rather than the general public who buys a service. I would love just supervising people who are doing the same thing I am doing now, but for companies instead of the general public. Helping customer relations and building a trust between a company and there customers .

But in a meaningful way. I dont want to be cellphone rep 8900171727 who just happens to be the guy who cares enough to say, holy poo poo you really shouldnt have to pay that 900 dollar bill lets make sure that gets fixed.

I want to be Jimson customer relations liason for and so company. I wanna be able to say OMG HOW DID THEY gently caress UP THIS ACCOUNT SO BAD LETS FIX IT. With out the company saying... wait we hosed this up and none of what happened is fault but lets try and offer them half.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Work on your writing skills and get someone to carefully check your resume for spelling and grammar errors.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, that's step one, your writing skills suck pretty bad. Work on that and you'll be a step ahead! Even people with degrees have sucky writing skills, but you absolutely need to improve that in order to land an interview. Post your resume and cover letters here if you want feedback.

Have you talked with your current boss about what you need to do in order to move up? Ask for a performance review. Ask them what skills you should be working on, tell them that you want to contribute more to the company. At the same time, search around for other companies since it can be near impossible to move up in some businesses and very easy in others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Jimson posted:

I want to be Jimson customer relations liason for and so company. I wanna be able to say OMG HOW DID THEY gently caress UP THIS ACCOUNT SO BAD LETS FIX IT. With out the company saying... wait we hosed this up and none of what happened is fault but lets try and offer them half.
In that case, you'll probably want to apply at smaller companies. This company doesn't have anything in NJ but they're a good example of what I'm talking about. They show the picture of an employee on the bottom left corner of every page and seem to be pretty genuine about treating their customers and employees well. It'll be up to you to find places like that close to you. Fix your resume and writing skills first though.

• Locked thread