Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Happy New Year, thread! :toot:

Here's an inaugural Sorensen to celebrate Page 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

I pretty much already do this for Dees. Some others probably have de facto dedicated posters too but I never paid much attention to who posts what.

I follow Bennett, Bors, and Sorensen on Facebook, and I really like getting the scoop on their new cartoons and posting them before anyone else can, but I never really saw the need to formalize that :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lolling at "stop Obama" and the fact that Branco thinks his ideas are different from the GOP establishment's in any way. "Why are you just trying to maintain the status quo when you COULD be 'stopping' this politician from changing the status quo???"

e: of his five "good ideas", two of them are "maintain status quo" in buzzwordier diction, one is a return to an EARLIER status quo, one is a joke, and one would basically destroy the country

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

JJ seems like he would be a staunch Paul supporter, I am surprised at this cartoon.

I'm sure the newspost was a good solid five paragraphs of fervent Paul praise

fake-edit: accidentally typed "fervent Rall praise" at first but not even JJ has taste that bad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doesn't Tinsley beat a "LOW-INFORMATION VOTER" drum right before every election trying to get people not to vote because they're too stupid?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Pretty much. Don't get me wrong leftist cartoonists do it all the time too but Tinsley takes it to a whole new way more spiteful level.

All I'm saying is that it's pretty goddamn hypocritical of him to cry "coverup" because Gruber's soundbite didn't get Obama impeached or whatever, when he himself has literally published strips which flat-out say "YOU, THE PERSON READING THIS, DO NOT VOTE BECAUSE YOU ARE A DUMB"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Skye immediately breaks down into tears because she knows she will never Find A Man (her number one priority as a female), as she is a strawman character in a story penned by a manchild a liberal

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

7oden getting an early start on racism for 2015

"Shlameel"? Is that supposed to be "Schlemiel"? Why does that racist Arab caricature have a misspelling of the Yiddish word for "fuckup" as a name? :confused:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somfin posted:

Yep, when I think 'desperate terror network,' I think 'office job, but in a cave, and with more beards.' Where the gently caress is that computer getting power?

Branco, you pathetically white human being, not everyone lives the way you do.

Yes, clearly the largest problem with this cartoon is the computer visual gag

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SedanChair posted:

They actually do have a cartoon thread where they just praise Branco over and over again.

Of course it's Branco

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

All the other times I've seen that cartoon, for some reason it never occurred to me to make fun of the fact that Bish apparently thinks CFLs were invented by "a government fellow" rather than a team of scientists and engineers like everything else in the world.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:aaa: Uh. Hm. Really. I. What???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

voltroon posted:

Judge again with an early entry for the GA's Worst Caricature category.

Worst caricature of Obama, or of America? That map :stare: Whatever happened to gently caress up our coastlines even appears to have broken off Canada into its own continent. The Free Cities of Canados, across the Narrow Sea

TetsuoTW posted:

poo poo, I got that confused with City of Bone or whatever that loving one with Phil Collins' daughter was. That was Potter, 50 Shades is Twilight.

If Divergent isn't a Potter fanfiction, it could be one with a few changed proper nouns. "Divergent, Or: But I'm Both Slytherin AND Ravenclaw, The Movie"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah uh these guys know it's not America the predator drones are flying over, right?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

"We want to feel safe."

This loving bullshit right here is why we have the Patriot Act and TSA security theater.

But we can't blame Obama for those, so the real problem is that drones exist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the point is that they're cutting the city's income by not ticketing people for stuff. Which as a non-NYC-city-employee is fine by me!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Y'know, I'm beginning to suspect that the slowdown is actually the NYPD's way of responding to criticism without looking like they're caving to pressure. As Bors pointed out, it is a move toward more liberal policing practices, but this way they can still act like they're standing up to the mayor and stuff!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

No it's exactly not that.

That may not have been an entirely serious theory :ssh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was "Dewey defeats Truman" ever a politoon?

"Romney defeats Obama" was several politoons

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

However, a quick GIS did give me this

Printed when Truman died :stare: And shows us that political cartoonists have been botching the meaning of the Dewey Defeats Truman headline for at least four decades.

Printed shortly after Truman defeated Death himself at a game of dominoes and became the master of hell (which is surprisingly rainy)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

itskage posted:

I am a moron because I don't get it even after the comment. Is there some 2nd meaning to eggs benedict or is it just a shoe horned reference to that black brunch tweet?

Eggs BENEDICT. Like Benedict Arnold. Get it? :smug: John Boehner is a traitor because he doesn't support dismantling the US Government. Muir is a Confederate.

(efb?)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eggs benny are delicious, too. You're cheating yourself out of some good breakfasts, Muir. :colbert:

e: VVVVV Wait, that first name has been used by more than one person in all of history???? :monocle: VVVV

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Thanks, But No Thanks.

Don't wait, don't miss out on joining the Dry Bones team!!!
There's just a few days left in the campaign! For details please click on http://igg.me/at/drybones
Labels: 2015, 5776, Holiday, Jewish, Jews, New Year

Just to prevent Kirschen's talking-out-of-his-rear end from spreading misinformation here: he's not speaking for Jews or even non-ultra-Orthodox Israelis. We use the Gregorian calendar like everyone else in existence. Kirschen isn't even ultra-Orthodox or particularly religious himself so I guess he's just going for special-snowflake points here???

The Hebrew calendar does crop up as a secondary calendar of sorts in Israel but is rarely used for reasons other than determining when holidays are held including Israeli state holidays like Rabin Memorial Day; it's similar to the traditional Japanese calendar in that respect.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Iconic features of elephants:
-Tapered, triangular snout
-Short, fin-like ears
-Small, uniform, pointy teeth
-Long, flexible fingers

Nailed it!

Part of it is that Toles was using his usual stylized elephant as a starting point:

...and yeah when you start from there and then add more non-elephant elements you kind of end up with a weird Island-of-Doctor-Moreau abomination. TOM TOLES HAS GONE TOO FAR.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Oh, and here's an article Ted Rall wrote for tomorrow's LA Times on the massacre. "Political cartooning is almost worth dying for."

Money where your mouth is, Ted :unsmigghh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kakairo posted:

Holy poo poo, that is the worst car review drivel I have ever read, and I've been reading car magazines since I was 7.

Didn't bother reading it until this post, but :agreed:

The goddamn Oatmeal's Tesla review was better than this, and that poo poo was awful too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey uh I don't mean to interrupt the shitstorm or anything but

How exactly can Lester convince himself that Obama is on the attackers' side here? :confused:

Like, I get that every time something bad Obama does a thing it is bad and every time a bad thing happens Obama did it, but this just seems particularly shameless and I have no idea how he or anyone else can swallow it

e: Come to think of it maybe that's just a kid who happens to look a lot like Lester's Obama caricature; he's not wearing a rainbow tie after all :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eschers Basement posted:

with I think South Park as probably the biggest satirical show of the last ten years.

South Park ain't got poo poo on Colbert

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey there dolchstoss

Can someone tell me exactly what the media is not doing that McCoy wishes they were? Just nonstop Mohammed caricatures on every front page, or what?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

I wonder if he's aware that the staff had armed police guards with them. Who were also killed.

Ok cool so he is straight-up flat-out saying that what he wants is a new crusade against the entire Islamic world, just making sure

How does he think that would work exactly? We declare war on every single country with a Muslim majority and... then do what? What are our goals in this imagined war, apart from mass conversion to Christianity or genocide? Does he think we could just impose democracy? Even if we could, what would that accomplish? None of the people behind this attack or any other was a state actor; changing a government somewhere wouldn't stop them but the war that would require WOULD really piss them off.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Young Ted Rall, no! What are you doing??? :ohdear:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, I would have thought of Charlie Hebdo as something that would fit right in here on SA.

Are those supposed to be their Adam's apples in her hands, or did she pull their balls up through their clothes?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, skinheads sure do love Israel and Jews in general

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

poo poo like this makes me seriously question whether conservative cartoonists actually live in the same world as we do :psyduck:

I mean, yes, the Republicans have clearly and obviously been doing a lot of fighting amongst themselves, and I guess it's hard not to alienate your "base" when the lunatic fringe manages to convince itself it's actually the base, but the third part, just :wtc:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A good cartoon about Medicare.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

An implicit admission from Kelly that the new Congress is awful and sending bad legislation to Obama's desk :golfclap:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

majormonotone posted:

Also about a million other variations of "broken pencil/pen and 'Je suis Charlie'" and this piece of poo poo from Varvel:

I know the central conservative ethos is "the government should do literally nothing" but seeing this really drives the point home. "Who cares if this is an objective good for a substantial demographic of America? It'll cost MONEY! :bahgawd:"

e:

Hitler B. Natural posted:

The latest scandal is that Obama didn't show up in Paris on account of he can't teleport

To be fair Obama's shameful inability to teleport is something they've been quite consistent in criticizing him on (see: Benghazi)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That cartoon reminds me -- is Dustin still a thing? I stopped reading the Newspaper Comics megathread when I realized I had to get actual work done sometimes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Hey you freeloader, my upper-middle class parents a ton of student loans the military I personally had to pay for my college and these lazy jobless millenials should too!!!

Didn't Bill O'Reilly once say something about how college students were obviously just lazy because they weren't paying for school by painting houses on summer break like he did, without bothering to look up how long it'd take to pay four years of tuition on a minimum-wage unskilled part-time job you held for three months out of the year in the 21st century? I think that sums up the disconnect pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CampingCarl posted:

All these pages of discussion on Charlie have been based on lies. The truth is obvious as usual.

Includes a literal flag labeled "false flag". Maybe he heard about our awards.

Oh, Dees. So predictable. You could set your watch by that guy :allears:

Do they really have to put Star-of-David bumper stickers on the sides of their assault rifles? We GET it, Mossad. They're Jewish guns. Stop belaboring the point. :rolleyes: Not quite as bad as the hideous Mossad seals on the front of their ski masks, though. Not only are they ugly, they're counter-intuitive.

I kinda like how the guy in the front has obviously had enough of the guy in the back's poo poo. Thinks he's some kind of office clown, with his whimsical props. Give it a rest!

Dimebags Brain posted:

I like that the caricatures for "hack cartoonist" is always Ramirez-esque.

To be fair he's bald and he has a moustache. Kind of low-hanging fruit.

e:

Armani posted:

Its plot involves Jesus Christ and Gautama Buddha, who are living as roommates in an apartment in Tokyo.

Is there any given reason why Jesus chooses to live in Japan?

loquacius fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread