Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

J_RBG posted:

Kelly I feel is so much less crass there isn't such a danger of its being reappropriated. Your context is not the one that people in the Anglosphere share, and when the photo of an angry Muslim is shared, the crude, offensive, stereotyped drawing of a Muslim is one that sticks out - big noses, brown skin, big bushy beards - it's hardly a devastating critique of an oppressive ideology that people with a sense for social justice should avoid. Instead, it's bound to be popular among the types of people the left shouldn't want to associate with, in the Anglosphere at least. You can rest assured they don't care at all about the nuances of the context of French satire or the actual contents of the magazine. This is why debate and critique of the cartoons is so necessary. The fact that the subtext of the Boko Haram cartoon in particular was completely lost on me doesn't make me deficient at Correct Interpretation, it says their cartoons aren't great vehicles for their message now that the magazine has a lot more exposure, obviously in a way completely unintended and completely undeserved by the cartoonists.

But, now I consider France's history with Muslims, it's hard for me to accept those caricatures exist solely in the context you're pushing here.

Ever seen an Asterix comic? Everybody has big noses in French cartoons and comics. Huge honkers and the One and Only Way to draw noses. Here's some other examples:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Schizotek posted:

Fantastic effortpost Flowers.
So with all of the shitstain rightwing cartoonists out and about drawing Muhammad as a pigfucking pedophile, gargling nonsense about nuking Mecca, why target these guys?

Because jihadists are proponent of the "clash of civilization" hypothesis and want to see a World War III of the righteous defenders of the faith against the decadent heathens.

Their enemies aren't the xenophobic, racist, islamophobic, etc. Their enemies are those who fight for tolerance and universal brotherhood.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Munin posted:

Anyway, I fundamentally disagree with that framing. Satire and cartoons is the perfect way to disarm these caricatures. Satire's inherent purpose is to put common myths up for ridicule and reveal their inherent absurdity. A good cartoon can make a statement look ridiculous at a glance. One of the best ways of doing that is to show the statement shorn of any attempted embellishments. The cartoon of the French minister was a very successful version of that (given you knew what it was actually about), but obviously a picture of a racist caricature. You can also exaggerate the caricature until its inherent absurdity becomes apparent. The Boko Haram women cartoon would be an example of that. Again it is crucially reliant on context. Shorn of context it is like that Obama quote from the U.N. speech, which I am sure will inflame a significant number of people.

To go back to the cultural context thing again, as mentioned French satire is more based on exaggeration of pushing a caricature to grotesque extremes. One of the historical touchstones of French satire is Rabelais ("Gargantua and Pantagruel") which is all about putting things on a different scale. US and UK cartoons tend to be focused on the juxtaposition of symbols, clever wordplay or the likes and tends to be earnest. Most exaggerations that do crop up in US cartoons are sincere at heart rather than the thing which is supposed to draw ridicule (see many right wing cartoonist). Just to quickly pull out the common context in each language, if you look at Wikipedia the English entry on "Satire" focuses on irony, sarcasm and wit whereas the French article focuses on how satire is used to render things ridiculous through either diminution or exaggeration. The main use of juxtaposition is to bring the high low.

Ultimately, it is about robbing these symbols of their power by showing exactly how absurd they are and turn them from common wisdom to an obviously ridiculous prejudice.
It's good to read a good post for once. Thanks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cabinet posted:

You really don't get that a part of the Muslim belief is that you do not depict Mohammed in any way, do you? You cannot compare it to any other religion because no other major religion has anything like that.

There's a lot of blanket interdiction on things in other major religions.

http://www.shalach.org/Sin/Homosexulaity.htm

quote:

Homosexuality Is An ABOMINATION In The Eyes Of God!!!

One does NOT need to have the wisdom of Solomon nor understand Einstein's law of relativity to know that Homosexuality is an abomination before Yahweh God.

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 (KJV)
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Corinthians 6:9 (KJV)
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Romans 1:24 (KJV)
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Romans 1:26 (KJV)
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

Romans 1:27 (KJV)
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

It's pretty clear that all God-fearing Christians need to answer God's call to murder the sodomites.

I hope this helps, and that when a few brave Christian soldiers bust a gay magazine and shoot people inside, you will all join me in saying that the victims really could have been more sensitive about their blasphemous acts. There are over 2.4 billion Christians in the world, it is inevitable that those who live in the sin of homosexuality, flaunting for all to see their blasphemous offense that is an abomination in the eye of the Lord, some of them will act as God commands.

Of course, it is a shame that gays have to be murdered, and no one deserves to die for this; but you have to admit that they are provocative, with their Gay Prides and the like. It's not a good idea to keep insulting the faith of billions of people just because they want to engage in gross unhygienic debauchery.

I hope you will understand this appropriately, instead of replying with homophobophobic screeds.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

If it caused no harm or damage, then it's just as well it goes without much publicity. Let the police catch the guy, but don't give him the satisfaction of leaving a mark.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cpt.Americant posted:

Is this supposed to be in solidarity with Snowden? I might be missing the message because all I'm seeing is "at least the US isn't killing its whistle blowers it's going after them through the court of law." I could be very wrong though, I think my opinion on Snowden probably isn't shared very widely around here.

"Whistleblo" is about Snowden; "Bloggo" is about Raif Badawi, "Palestine Journo" might be about many different cases.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Post 9-11 User posted:

Holy gently caress. In 2015. Kenyan Muslim in 2015. This is real. :psyduck:

Obamahomet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Doing a "Where's Waldo" joke and missing the opportunity to use the French name?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's an insult to all Joes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Art Spiegelman already did that one.

Several years ago, after the Jyllands Posten thing, some people in (IIRC) Iran decided to expose the heathen westerners for the hypocrites they were and organized an antisemitic cartoon contest, to say "let's see if you really like freedom of speech". And the obvious result was several Jewish cartoonists entering the competition. Art Spiegelman's entry was an old Jew chastising a crying child holding a picture of money, and telling him something like "let this be a lesson for you, Abie: it is forbidden to depict the Profit!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

You know someone was asking a few days ago about why people in the US seem to really hate the idea of taxes. Honestly I think part of it (other than humans naturally being greedy assholes) is that we as kids are taught that this country revolted from Britain because of taxes. But then again maybe I'm just bitter how stupid our history textbooks are for kids where everything is whitewashed and biased.

I blame the lack of Christian values in the USA.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

4 Won't someone think of the children in Nigeria, etc etc.?

I like the smiley face on the Boko Haram logotype.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Duckbag posted:

I find it funny how many people are making the "too late the cartoonists already hosed them all" jokes vs. the "here's your virgins" jokes. Combined with the various CH cartoons' references to "semen" and "babes" it gives me the unsettling impression that European cartoonists might actually get laid once in a while.

Wolinsky has a daughter, Cabu had a son who died before him, and Tignous -- who also worked for role-playing game magazines! -- has four children... I don't know about Honoré. Charb refused to have kids because of the death threats.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Selachian posted:

The conservative Pope hatred is just boiling over now that he's announced he's stepping into the global warming fight this year.

(also: that's a really lovely caricature of Francis. He's got some lines in his face, but he doesn't have huge saggy jowls like that.)

I think they're still drawing John Paul II.

Stormageddon posted:

Considering they're throwing grenades at mosques, it's not for a lack of trying.

Plaster grenades, not real weapons. They don't cause too much damage and they're non-lethal.

It's still vandalism and hate crime, of course, but it's not going as far as trying to actually kill people. It's just trying, successfully, to be terrible assholes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WitchFetish posted:

Seeing as there is still doubt on whether or not Latuff is a dumb loving idiot who romanticizes literal terrorists in the most laughable way possible, allow me to post the rest of the series :

*unsheathes dragunov* My my, looks like we have some pesky americans here. Time to show you the dark power of Juba the baghdad sniper...
*kills all americans*
*adjusts keffiyeh*
"Eh, nothing personel kid..."

Juba doesn't seem to be a terrorist in these comic strips. He targets the military only, not civilians, and he's fighting against a foreign army occupying his country. Juba, however, is a terrible Mary Sue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Webguy posted:

The problem here is Saudi's, not the US propping the majority of it's economy on the backs of big oil.
If you push the dystopianism to the point you have giant billboards with the slogan "Fracking for freedom", you deserve to collapse.

Internet Webguy posted:

Best non-Charlie Hebdo related cartoon I've seen this year.
It's perfect.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Very, very good article. Pro-read.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cpt.Americant posted:

I also got to wonder, why is it that no one thought to use dinosaurs? I mean we rode elephants, wouldn't it be even better to use a stegosaurus? And wouldn't some of the major civilizations have made a note of that?

We did, as shown in this very accurate documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiIotjTQzD8

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WarpedNaba posted:

Well you see bribing the government is clearly something that should be legalised because China does it and they'll take us over because of the pinko liberal muslim in charge making our troops gay and

Maybe we can come up with a whole regulated system for paying government bribes. You'd get forms to fill based on your income and capital that would tell you how big a bribe you need to pay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mister Beeg posted:

Jen Sorensen wrote about this comic, which is worth reading She even interviewed Muslim cartoonists about the attack.

quote:

I haven’t seen any cartoons yet from the perspective of a French Muslim immigrant wrestling with these difficulties.

She could have tried contacting Riad Sattouf, who's probably the most famous cartoonist in France to come from Muslim countries (born in Syria).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

Also Obama's latest approval ratings are out, I am sure we will be hearing a lot about them from the usual suspects. I mean it's still important when they go up rather than down, right?

Speaking of approval ratings, in France...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

Not pictured: a bunch of boring "the state of OUR union!" cartoons with elephants and donkeys fighting, etc.

They only need to draw it once, and then it can be reused every year.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Krinkle posted:

what is he tucking that carrot née pencil into? The place where his non existant human ear would be? I'm incensed by this nonsense.

Same place he's putting the left arm of his glasses.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hitler B. Natural posted:

We'll see who's laughing when this inevitably happens:

"Al-Italia" already exists (it's an airline (that's 49% owned by the UAE flag carrier Etihad Airways)).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Eschers Basement posted:

I especially like that he has Boehner bitching that the President has been a complete and utter failure for six years.

Which would include all of his first term.

For which he was re-elected.

What does that say about your party? That the President is such an obvious-to-you failure who has never succeeded in anything and yet got re-elected?

Such misery. Such lovely schadenfreude.

To be fair, Dubya was reelected, too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bicyclops posted:

Uh, huge slam on frogs out of nowhere in this post? They don't even represent a particular political party or concept unless they're specifically labeled, like maybe a panel with Kermit singing about rainbows and being labeled GAY AGENDA or realizing he's got a hand up his butt and saying "I don't think I like this Obammercare!" Leave frogs alone, you jackass.

Frogs have represented the French ever since they stopped representing the Dutch. (It was a time of great scarcity, the Brits couldn't afford new slurs and had to recycle old ones instead.) :france:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gyre posted:

Interesting! I'm not that good at following proofs, but I think I get the general idea. The question is more then, "what is the optimal voting system (that most humans can follow) given that it cannot satisfy all three constraints"? If you look at IRV I think the plotting shows that it most definitely isn't the optimal system due to its weird math, and plurality sucks too because it crushes out smaller parties.

I'd go for Condorcet, with Smith/IRV to resolve circular ambiguity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheMammoth posted:

The problem with a lot of these "deflate-gate" cartoons is that the footballs were deflated to make them easier for the team's own players to catch under difficult, rainy circumstances, thereby giving them an unfair advantage which they used to beat their opponents 45-7.

Is there some scientific explanation of why deflated balls are easier to catch for Team A's players but not Team B's?

The only one I could see would be if the one team specifically trained with deflated balls and the other didn't.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

uncurable mlady posted:

Deflategate is a dumb name, #ballghazi is much better

All milquetoast scandals have to be named -gate, because Watergate was a scandal about water.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

The ECB is beginning a round of quantitative easing to the tune of 60 billion euros a month until further notice in order to pump money into the European economy and avoid a deflationary spiral. There are worse ways to deal with low growth (austerity being one of them) but there are also better ways to deal with it, like using that massive amount of money on meaningful investments in government programs and projects rather than just handing it all to banks and hoping they do the rest for you.

Yeah but if you hand it all to banks, then you make sure that the money goes in the right hands (the 1%).

Government programs, long-term investments, public services, etc., all these things benefit 100% of the population, which is a hundred times more than needed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Does anyone else find the British to be extremely grotesque and unpleasant to look at?

Yes.

Bear Sleuth posted:

Shouldn't it be "God is Made Up and That's Good?"

Well it depends on whether you look at it as talking about the nonexistence of God, or about mankind's delusion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

2 "Crusifixions"

"Americans for Limited Government"
*draws cartoon lamenting American government isn't engaged in EVEN MOAR WARS abroad*

Would they be happy if the US Government made a formal declaration of war, including all the special powers that go with it, such as instituting draft, raising taxes and commandeering private property for the war effort, and so on?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fade5 posted:

Huh, so twitter is actualy a pretty good place for Political Cartoons about current events. Here, have some more Kobani cartoons:
(I'm pretty sure this is Italian, and I'd love a translation if anyone could provide one.)

"Loud cheers in the distance. Luckily, I don't distinguish the faces."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saint Sputnik posted:

Was hoping someone would have dug the cartoon up and saved me the trouble; the only copies I can find are tiny or blown up.

"Marine, here is your mission: you must protect the right of American schoolkids not to stand for the pledge of allegiance by going in some third-world shithole to get your legs blown off. Otherwise, I dunno, the third-worlder will come here and force our kids to stand for the pledge, probably. Anyway, good luck."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

euclidian88 posted:

One of the few cats to lead a political party would seem to imply that there have been others.

I'm pretty sure the world would be a better place if all political parties were led by cats.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

What do the giant turds represent?

Republican-dominated Congress and Republican-dominated Senate. I guess.

The chimp muzzles look like stick figure heads.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

Semper Pantis! :patriot:

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Haha, Ted Rall appeared on French TV.

http://info.arte.tv/fr/liberte-dexpression-les-coups-de-crayons-de-trois-caricaturistes (third video, the first two are about Russian and Pakistani cartoonists).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

Is that artist japanese?

Half-Japanese. So it's okay if he's racist!

There are starbucks and iphones in France, but he shouldn't expect to find any wal*mart.

It's not like it's a detail he could have checked in two minutes with the Internet.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Gross, Bennett.

Sucking Koch will rot your teeth. An anti-fellatio cartoon.

• Locked thread