Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ToxicFrog posted:

:vince:

I heard about this debate, but never watched it. But now I kind of want to.

Although it's kind of weird to think of Bill Nye the Science Guy, icon of my childhood, completely destroying someone on stage.
I took a strong interest in Ken Ham some months back, struggling to understand his bizarre way of thinking. I must conclude that his brain works very differently to my own, and thus I could never subjectively understand him.

He doesn't really debate science. In his own words, it's a debate about "worldviews". The worldview you begin with matters more than evidence because your mind will distort/interpret the evidence to fit your worldview. Thus, on a logical level, evolutionism has nothing over creationism because evolutionists are just slaves to their worldview. But it so happens that Ken Ham's creationist worldview is morally superior because it validates the authority of God and thus the authority of all His moral commands. If you replace "God's Word" with "Man's Word", then society will slide into anarchy and sin because people will believe they are not accountable to a higher power.

It's almost like he is arguing for us to believe in a noble lie (make no mistake, though: he is a true believer).

Rorus Raz posted:

The Nye/Ham debates were a year ago. Ham didn't take the loss very well, and had spent the past year trying to spin it into a win for himself.
Are you kidding? Ken Ham was the real winner of the debate. What he wanted was exposure. This obscure fundamentalist preacher became the talk of the Internet for months. He never expected to convert Bill Nye, because he understood Bill Nye is a fanatical devotee of the Church of Secular Humanism whose evolutionist worldview makes him impervious to the Gospel.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do American soldiers really defend American rights and freedoms? I suppose in a distant fashion they do, but no foreign power has seriously threatened American liberties since the War of 1812. Even the terrorists are really more about reducing America's foreign influence. The people who uphold America's freedoms today are the activists, who court no end of controversy. Nobody hates the military because they don't step on anybody's toes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The idiocy of this cartoon is that it assumes ISPs actually give a gently caress about the "worthiness" of the information it carries.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know how you got that out of it...but I didn't get basically anything out of it that made any sense so I guess you win.
Some senator who opposed the net neutrality ruling said that cat videos shouldn't be regarded as equal to, say, a surgical teleconference. What that guy didn't understand is that those surgeons would have had to pay extra to get the bandwidth they needed, because ISPs don't give a gently caress about how "worthy" something is.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Does bors always draw cops as Judge Dredd?
It's surprising that an American cartoonist would use Dredd at all. Dredd isn't all that recognizable outside Britain.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

El Disco posted:

Seriously? There have been two major Dredd movies over the years (with one of them being pretty good).
Well, I can't remember the last time an American writer or entertainer referenced Dredd. This cartoon struck me as unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That's how Jack Chick taught it to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread