Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I was reading a thread about how people met their S.O. and it seems that a lot of goons have met people online.

My Life tldr; Moved away for 6 years for college and a failed relationship, don't know many people, lovely work hours.

Please enlighten me to the wonders and terrors of internet dating. I do want advice, but I would love to hear all of your stories.

I have read that OKCupid is the best free site. Tinder is also popular, but I get the feeling that is mostly for hookups.

I know a lot of these sites are oriented towards what you want out of the relationship, like a quick hookup or over 50, or Christians, or amputees, or whatever.

Free sites, Pay sites, the "facebook of fuckbuddies" I want to hear about them all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Didn't we have an online dating thread?

In any case, I met my wife on eHarmony. The site you choose definitely depends primarily on what you're looking for - eHarmony markets towards those looking for a long-term relationship. I also tried out Match.com, but I preferred answering questions about myself to writing about myself, so I might not have gotten as much out of Match as I could have.

My wife was the first (and only) woman I met in person. I got past the icebreakers stage with maybe a half-dozen, and was in the process of setting up meeting another woman before I met my wife, but she called it off for whatever reason.

If you go for a pay site, definitely try to find a coupon or deal, though. That poo poo gets expensive.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Go to OK Cupid, fill out a profile, answer as many questions as you feel like, then upload 3-5 good pics of yourself.
"Good" = not a mirror selfie, not a webcam shot, not fuzzy, decent lighting. One should be mostly your face, one should be an action shot of you doing something hopefully fun or interesting, and at least one should be a full-body shot. Try to have at least one where it's obvious you're outside your house with other people.

DO NOT: be self-deprecating, lie about your height (guys do this A LOT*), be long-winded, fill the thing with lists.
*I'm assuming you're a guy, sorry if that's not the case.
Income level is not necessary to fill out. Just leave it blank. If you can't think of a decent answer for any section, leave it out.

The following are the most typical answers, avoid them: "I like all kinds of music!" "I love all kinds of food!" "I love travel!" "On my typical Friday I'm either staying in or going out!"
Don't put water/air/oxygen/food/your computer/family/friends as any of your "Six Things I Can't Live Without".

This was all based on the most common train wrecks in the old OK Cupid thread.
Yes, goons actually had to be told to take photos outside with other humans and to not be wearing Zelda shirts in every single photo.

Then, message some ladies. Do not be discouraged if you don't get many replies. Women on dating sites get BOMBARDED with messages, so please try to understand that. It's normal to get 60+ messages a day if you're even an average looking lady in a populated area. Just keep trying.

Use OK Cupid if you want dates, Tinder if you want hookups/dates, Plenty of Fish if you want herpes, and a paid site if you want to get married.

hooah posted:

Didn't we have an online dating thread?

Yes. And then due to goon creepiness the thread was gassed and deleted and we're not allowed to make online dating profile threads anymore.
Here's the old Online Dating Trainwrecks thread, which was not deleted but also locked because it too devolved into bullshit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469304

There is a long and sad history of online dating threads going horribly wrong here.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 1, 2015

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
The success of a dating site also depends on where you are. Some are more popular in certain areas than others. You mentioned Tinder and you're not completely wrong about it being for hookups but it isn't just that. It feels like most guys are on there to hookup and most girls are on there for something more substantial. Either way you'd get a date out of either.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
There's a general online dating thread in E/N which you may enjoy (although I use that term loosely): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615544

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

FlyFishinInnuendo posted:

There's a general online dating thread in E/N which you may enjoy (although I use that term loosely): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615544
Things started getting a little gross over there, but if this thread is doubleposting, I will breathe the gas.

Decided to at least download the tinder app. Thought I was downloading it, but I clicked the wrong thing and started playing the advertisement for it. :f5:

Has there ever been a meaningful relationship established via tinder or just dirty nasty sex regrets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Well poo poo, here goes nothing. There's a free weekend on match (somehow friday to wednesday means weekend).

Closed

• Locked thread