Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't tell if The Player is going to wind up something I make time for or not, but "Mr Kane, do I look like I'm insane" is a lot easier to sell when you're not Wesley Snipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, Mandy seems like a pretty cool dude. He quit Criminal Minds to go back to working on Broadway. Where by all accounts he's happy to be known as Inigo Montoya, and poses for group photos. Personally, I can't say that I blame him.

Wait... he's... holy CRAP mind blown. I never noticed that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sober posted:

I think Cameron Monaghan pretty much solidified his role on Gotham as the Joker after tonight's episode.

Yeah, I was skeptical with him last season, but he sold it tonight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zoux posted:

How was the AoS premiere?

It kept the momentum of season 2's end. It's not gonna convert anyone who hasn't bought into the show by now (assuming they've tried) but I'm just happy it didn't sit everyone around a table talking about how things have changed since last year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

My father got really upset the other day because he couldn't find the newest episodes of QI on youtube

There are new episodes of QI and nobody's illegally uploaded them to Youtube yet for those of us stuck in Cable-screw-youville? To the pitchforks!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Happens to me with kids shows too. Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack... son of a bitch, I got introduced to it without being told it has weird little bits of animation that freak you out sometimes and just got caught off guard by this moment, which, in hindsight, isn't scary at all. But I dreamt of that stupid mermaid's dark voice in a nightmare right after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4lIBZGrA4U

Out of all things, the crocodile in All Dogs go to Heaven terrified me. I had to leave the theater.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

raditts posted:

What cable channel in America airs any episodes of QI, let alone new ones?

I *thought* the reason I couldn't subscribe to the BBC online was because they had some contract in America that limited them to cable bundles. Looking right now it may be that I mistook "only in the UK" for "not in America" or something changed since I last looked, so I may be mistakenly hating the cable companies for that (though there are plenty of other reasons).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If it helps, the way the plot's going I'm pretty sure Snipes's character will eventually get shot in the face.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

precision posted:

Goddamn, Minority Report is frustrating. They seem to have forgotten that the point of the film was that "pre-crime" was bullshit because Free Will exists.

In episode 2 they do specifically say "we can't go arrest him now because we're not facists anymore. We need to stop the murder in the act."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Oh my god I'm zapping through late night tv and I find an episode of Miss Marple starring Benedict Cumberbatch himself.

Which one? I thought I'd seen all the Marples but I certainly never noticed him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Minority Report episode 1: "We're being a little fascist but it's to stop a terror attack"
Episode 2: "We're bending over backwards to not be fascist, and if we had been fascists we'd have arrested the wrong guy."
Episode 3: "Our sorta-fascist precog agrees with the INCREDIBLY fascist computer algorithm, so it's time to go peak Police State on this guy to save a life!"

I dislike shows hammering home a moral message as much as the next guy, but the tone's been all over the place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

And I guess The Simpsons back then fit this mold too, but it was also not socially acceptable - most of us in our 30s would know someone or were forbidden from watching it at some point. We weren't for awhile, but that didn't last and my mom can regurgitate early Simpsons and Ren and Stimpy lines with the best of them.

I was one of those kids, though my parents made an exception for the Halloween show because they thought the references were more culturally interesting. Of course now that I've watched the other stuff myself they had just as many interesting references.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

raditts posted:

I'm sure his replacement will be fine and all, but I don't know if I can watch a Fry-less QI :smith:
Next they're going to tell us that they're replacing the inappropriate light reggae intro music too.

Halfway down the article they say Sandi Toksvig will be taking over. I think she'll be a good fit, though for a while it will be a bit odd to see her in the role of headmaster instead of among the rambunctious students.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

quote:

The last series of QI starring Stephen Fry begins on BBC Two at 10pm on Friday 16 October. The star-studded panel includes Bill Bailey, Matt Lucas, Jo Brand, Romesh Ranganathan, Sheila Hancock, Jimmy Carr, Jeremy Clarkson, Sami Shah, Eddie Kadi, Sarah Millican, Sue Perkins, Noel Fielding, Sara Pascoe, Johnny Vegas, Julia Zemiro, Josh Widdicombe, Sara Cox, Rhod Gilbert, Phill Jupitus, David Mitchell, Lucy Porter, Ross Noble, Danny Bhoy, Aisling Bea, Susan Calman, Greg Davies, Chris Addison, Cariad Lloyd, James Acaster, Tommy Tiernan, Dermot O’Leary, Jenny Eclair and, of course, Sandi Toksvig.

What, all at once? That's a bit much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gonz posted:

It's got a sweet opening credit sequence, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV5WNudPPU

At 12 seconds in, is that supposed to be Los Alamos? I can't get it oriented in my head right to match anything I know from the town, but it's easy enough to find maps of the place from 1945 to use.

It's a silly thing to nitpick, I know, but if they set a show in your hometown I bet you'd do the same thing.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 15, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gonz posted:

It most certainly is. A good 3/4ths of the show takes place in the neighborhood the government built for the workers and scientists.

Yeah, I meant that the map doesn't match up with any part of Los Alamos in my head no matter how I try to adjust rotation/scale. Since maps of the place are pretty easy to find I was trying to figure out if I've got my perspective wrong or they just didn't bother for something that would be on-screen for a couple of seconds that only pedants and locals would try to make fit. I could have been clearer in my comment.

Edit: my brother figured it out. I was trying to orient the thing around the townsite (Fuller Lodge/Ashley Pond pond area, for anyone else who knows LA) when it's actually a map of the Laboratory proper. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8718864,-106.317567,1464m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en Now I can use that part of my brain for better things.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 16, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I can't remember the last time I've watched something live. Even sports I'll record and start it after an hour or 2 so I can skip commercials.

I prefer to watch things live mainly as a way to keep the number of shows I watch in check and give me days when there's definitely nothing on TV, which I use to handle procrastinated tasks.

Though that's going to need to shift since Supergirl's on a half-hour start overlapping Gotham. Anyone know the delay before CBS/Fox put their shows online? I know the CW tosses them up about an hour after the west coast airs, and ABC waits a week and an hour (which makes it impossible to legally catch up on a missed episode before the next one airs).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's the short, traditionally animated, Tartakovsky version that came out in between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The first batch of episodes are short, action heavy vignettes focusing on the war, with the last few being a longer, story-driven leadup to Episode III. It's really good, if you like that sort of thing.

If you've seen Samurai Jack, it's the same guy behind it and the same style. Looked really odd to me until I pulled up some videos from that show and figured out what he was doing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just hate labels. Take one piece of a person, decide it belongs in a particular box, then view the person not as they are but as the box.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pentyne posted:

Anyone who's given up on Supernatural, which I don't blame you it's been a mixed bag for years, the new season has been shockingly good so far. The most recent episode is easily one of the best they've ever done in 11 years and the previous 3 three were much better in general then the show's been for quite some time. You can jump right in and figure out what's going on without too much trouble, there's very little from the past 4-5 seasons that's super relevant that doesn't get explained in the season opener's "previously on"

While channel-hopping I caught the phone conversation with Castiel in the car. They had some fun with that, felt like they were purposefully going for shlockier effects than the last time I watched the show (when everything was over-the-top Helldrama). Is that an overall style change or as a Halloween nod to old horror movies with zero budget?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There seems to be a surge of "stereotypes presented as comedy" sitcoms lately, but that's nothing new and for the most part non-white cast members are commonplace. Some shows definitely do it better than others, but cartoons are less notable for leading the trend and more for finally catching up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I liked The Quest but mainly because it was indulgently cheesy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cactus posted:

Watching Crazy ex gf but fast-forwarding through the songs. My doin it rong?

yes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

VagueRant posted:

My friend has long proclaimed that I am the Ted Mosby of our friend group and I finally realised he was right. I just needed to tell you guys, because some people here will understand why that hurts. :smith:

I feel old, back when my social anxiety first manifested I was worried that I was the Joey Tribbiani of my friends.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

National Parks is my favorite Ken Burns documentary, but they're all very good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Best sitcom" isn't exactly a high bar to set, those things are by definition rather banal. Fraiser isn't fine art, it's watchable but I don't think it's $50-worthy, at least not for going in blind. If you loved the show, maybe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

B99 isn't the sort of thing I usually enjoy, but every time I see some of it while channel-surfing I laugh my rear end off. They're pretty much pitch-perfect on delivery, and that's what sells a bad joke or can make even a good one fall flat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight is the season (probably series) finale for The Player. They got word that the production was shutting down while filming so it's up in the air whether or not there will be any closure.

40 minutes in the shot cuts to a blank screen. Wesley Snipes walks in front with a clipboard. "Alex finds his wife, Cassandra was evil but got foiled, I'm a vampire. Thank you." Roll credits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The 100 gets my award for "trailer with the most gleefully dissonant tone" (2x14 if people care about 20-second trailer spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYB-dlXLy5I And this is a channel that often tries to pull that with Supernatural trailers.

Haven't watched the show, but I giggled like mad every time that came on during commercials.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

e. Didn't the try somethign similar with Taxi Brooklyn when it had a big French actor?

To be fair, Taxi Brooklyn had a WONDERFUL final episode. Half the people got shot, the other half got blown up, all in one big "gently caress you guys WE ALL BURN" resolution to the plot.

I liked that show. I like a lot of shows that get cancelled, which probably says something for my taste.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BSam posted:

That show was amazing but not even I made it to the final episode.

It really is "gently caress you, everybody dies" for an hour. Rather cathartic, as long as you already know the show's done for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably announcing something big

"My fellow Americans, it turns out there was a glitch so everything fine, but these things are really difficult to cancel once you've arranged them. So, how was your weekend?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like the Big Questions with Even Bigger Stars bits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

At one point when the telethon was down, the "please stand by" message was changed to "please get out and push." On-camera Oswalt referred to it as "the Chilean mining disaster of streaming telethons." I have no clue how much effort they put into the AV system (whether they were unprepared or EVERYTHING failed), but if the amount of redundancy it turns out was needed is N, they had at MOST N-2.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 12, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

Good lord what did they make you read in high school?

I mean I read some real garbage in high school, but that was of my own volition.

A lot of high school books suffer due to the nature in which they're assigned. You're not digesting the book, you're trying to cram your way through X pages by the next class. I've had a lot of interesting reading going back to my collection of HS/college books now that I'm reading them in my own time, Plato's Republic in particular is vastly improved.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Worst for me was Cry The Beloved Country, a bunch of South African dialect that an American teenager would have zero understanding of and not even the benefit of actual punctuation so there are pages of conversations that are just walls of text without a quotation mark in sight.

I remember that one because a question on the test was "contrast the [somethingorother] of [some character] and Napoleon Letsitsi." NOBODY in the class had any clue who Napoleon Letsitsi was. This (apparently) major character had just gone in one eyeball and out the other while bypassing the brain.

I remember nothing else about the book, but I'll never forget that name.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

hcreight posted:

Fox does (used to do?) this incredibly dumbassed thing where an episode wouldn't be on demand/on Hulu until the day after the next episode aired, meaning you could not catch up to a broadcast on those services. I haven't looked into it in a while and don't know if they've smartened up about that.

ABC does the same thing. I understand a delay (usually to promorw "member PLUS" subscription or something) but make it six days or something. That killed Galavant for me, though I wasn't big on the show in the first place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We tried two more shows tonight. She didn't make it halfway through the pilot of Leverage, so then we tried Prison Break, which neither of us had seen, and it was a well-paced, intriguing pilot. We liked it enough to watch the second episode as well. It helps that half the cast went on to play villains on Flash and Arrow -- I'm already a fan of Wentworth Miller from him playing Len Snart/Captain Cold.

What is the general consensus on Prison Break? I have to imagine it goes off the rails at some point, since it seems to have gone on for multiple seasons. Is it worth sticking it out, or is there an obvious drop in quality along the way?

Season 1 is the best. The ones after that have their moments, but it was definitely plotted as a standalone season so things feel a bit flail-y.

If you didn't get halfway through the pilot of Leverage, then I guess you stopped before the *actual* heist happened (they do a dirty job, the client turns out to be crooked, so they need to pull a real con on him)? If she's a fan of heist movies and stuff just didn't click (and she's willing to give it another go, forcing shows on people never works) then Episode 2 is a good one that gets the ball rolling much faster since it doesn't have the "assembling/introducing the team, everybody's a lone wolf and blunders through doing it together" part eating up space.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

It is exactly his standup though, like beat for beat the same as his most recent special. But hey who knows what put you off his standup.

The standup shows of his I've seen start out funny but then take a mean turn and never come out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I think a half hour for a musical show is a little too short because as much as I liked season 1 of Galavant it always felt like they never had enough time for both the songs and the story.

And yet they showed an hour a night, so you got the worst of both worlds. Everything felt very rushed, no consistency between the first and second half-hours...

• Locked thread