Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat it, MCU, I'm trying to catch up with you but you won't take a drat break and give me a chance! SHIELD S1 is on Netflix and I finally bought/got all the Phase 2 movies so I was going to binge later this month. But now I have to worry about the first part of SHIELD S2 AND Agent Carter? Its just too much, Marvel. We need an offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm having a weird rollercoaster ride with whether or not to watch Galavant. I wasn't interested at all at first because while I think it will have some laughs I think its a premise that will die a quick death as a TV show.

But then I found out it was a "four week event" and I got all in because I can see it working in a short run and if it burns out at least it won't have much time to suck.

But now I learn its actually 8 episodes/hours and not 4? I don't know. That's a lot more time to get bad after the novelty wears off and just short enough that I'll feel compelled to finish.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rollercoaster back up. I can do four hours of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sometimes I see a commercial for Glee or someone mentions it and I smile because I suddenly remember that I forgot that show existed.

Freedom is wonderful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sophia posted:

Well I'm not of the faith myself, but I'm adjacent by birth, and the level of militarization / guerrilla insurgence they're alluding to in the disciples (as entirely realistic as it probably was) isn't going to set well with the ones around here. Granted that Christians aren't even close to a same-thinking homogeneous group of people, I think a lot of them will be fine with the stuff having to do with Jesus, but maybe not so much the representation of the early church as some kind of rebel resistance against Rome. But I've been wrong before!

Yeah, I don't know. I'd expect the Christians in my life to absolutely revel in watching the Apostles get all bad rear end PG Spartacus revolutionary on the Romans. As long as the show doesn't get cute with dogma or have Jesus getting laid I'd be shocked if militarizing Peter (aka "The Rock") becomes some major controversy. I'm expecting it to be a very bland PG Spartacus/GoT version that my mom digs and I get bored of 20 minutes in.

But as you said, "Christians" are hardly the homogeneous group people often act like they are so you're probably right that there will be some people who will get pissed off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So are there any BBC shows I should binge on Netflix before they disappear? The article I just read says Luther and Doctor Who are staying so no rush on them and it seems like Sherlock and House of Cards are the only ones that stand out to me and might disappear. But I'm comfortable missing both of those. Anything else I should rush to watch?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadpool posted:

So is it more serious talk or is it just more of "Make the news funny" like Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver? Because I've been pretty well burnt out on the latter for a good while. I guess it being on Comedy Central and being hosted by a comedian answers the question for me. But maybe not.

Wilmore's not aping Stewart or Colbert. Instead of doing the news of the day he picks one topic and does an entire episode on it. One segment on his own at the desk like Stewart and Colbert (but with his own approach), one segment with a panel (made up of a mix of comics, journalists, activists, and politicians) discussing it, and one segment where he tries to call them out with tough questions for laughs or groans or whatever. Its more of a Bill Maher type show than any of the other Daily Show family shows.

Just, you know, without a gaping rear end in a top hat hosting things.

Its not totally clear yet what the comedy:news ratio is going to be here but Wilmore doesn't seem like he wants to be a faux reporter like Stewart or a parody like Colbert. He seems to be playing it for laughs, even when he's talking about something serious. So far its been reasonably funny so far with maybe a touch of thoughtful discussion. But its only been a week so who knows?

Also, I'd comment here on Ravene acting like Wilmore invented the panel discussion but I think I'm being suckered in by a troll again.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 24, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Manos del Sino posted:

It's all good except Route 666, aka the "Racist Truck" episode, which itself is worth watching just to get an indication of how bad Supernatural can be.

If you absolutely must just watch key episodes, try episodes 4 (Phantom Traveler), 6 (Skin), 7 (Hook Man), 9 (Home), 12 (Faith), 14 (Nightmare), 16 (Shadow), 17 (Hell House), 20 (Dead Man's Blood), and the final two 21 & 22. Each of these episode touch on mythology referenced later on.

At this stage "Racist Truck" is kind of a must watch. Not only is it unanimously considered the worst episode so you always have that to assure you things never get that bad again, but at some point they just start referencing the thing and making fun of it in the show itself. If you skip Racist Truck then you miss the joy of laughing at it down the line.

You can totally follow Manos' list if you just want to mainline right into the meta storyline. It looks like it hits all the key stuff for the main story. But honestly, most of S1 is pretty solid stuff and pretty much every episode has a callback sooner or later. So even if you skip them the first time around if you end up liking the show you should go back and watch the first season anyway.

But it IS formulaic and "monster of the week" stuff. Things can feel a little pointless until you see the overarching plot, and that takes a little while (unless you follow that abbreviated list).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You HAVE to watch Scarecrow. That was an unfortunate omission from that list.

pentyne posted:

Season 1 it was still "uh, we might get cancelled" and the attitude carried forward into the start of season 2 before they were able to go all in with their 5 year plan and start laying the groundwork for multi-season plots with a tied up ending at the end of season 5.
I'm sure its some of that but I also think they made a concentrated effort to establish the world and the Winchesters and slowly unveil the story. In the end Supernatural S1-5 is a massive story about a conspiracy and world that has been going since before these guys were born. They don't open a book and discover the mystery, they pick up pieces as they go until they finally start to see a picture forming and realize there's a puzzle there. So I think that's the best argument for just watching S1. You follow them on their week to week "is this all there is?" monster slog until you start seeing the bigger picture slowly just like they do. And later you even start to realize that things you thought were meaningless actually weren't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Swap Meat is super bad but it at least sorta ties into the bigger story. I think that's why Racist Truck stands out. Most of the bad episodes that follow either tie into the overall story or have a sense of humor about themselves. Some people hated Dog Dean Afternoon but at least it was just Supernatural trying to have a laugh and just not working the way they hoped. But Racist Truck is just all on its own, this really terrible story that is really out of tone with the show and takes itself 1000% seriously and never, ever, ever affects them again.

I mean, the worst episode is probably that terrible backdoor pilot. But Racist Truck has seniority.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its just easier to accept that Blood Lines isn't an episode of Supernatural. Its a failed CW pilot that Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles randomly wandered on set for and decided to play different characters who just happened to be named Sam and Dean.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the gambling and credit card fraud are pretty consistently mentioned themes to explain how they live. It even comes into play in a few episodes the way you'd expect it to.

And you know... roll with it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eventually it just becomes funny that no one ever notices.

Until one day when someone does and it completely shocks you and them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its been years since I watched an episode of 2 Broke Girls but the jokes were usually pretty much "Here's a shockingly racist caricature or comment... laugh at it because you're shocked because we're too lazy to write an actual joke."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I know is reading that press conference article brings me back to the time when I too thought there was a sweet, heartfelt, and clever comedy in 2 Broke Girls between two talented comics with great chemistry underneath all the terrible, terrible poo poo. And then the show's creative was kind enough to say "No, gently caress that poo poo, you should walk away right now" and I was very appreciative.

I wish more shows were that honest and open about expectations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, when it started Beth Behrs was kind of a revelation and the chemistry between her and Dennings was crazy. Its why so many people hoped it just needed to grow up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually don't really enjoy Dennings at all in general. She's always way too aware of the cameras and "Ha, I made a joke" for me to enjoy. The only times I've ever enjoyed her was when she was going back and forth with Behrs.

The only other time I've ever seen Behrs in anything was a bad Lady Antebellum video so I have no idea about her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

less laughter posted:

So he can say he hasn't watched them and instantly get attention.

It all worked flawlessly, as you can tell.

Yeah, I mean, what?

I'm not one to get annoyed by someone who doesn't like or didn't watch something I like but I can't parse the logic behind "I like this show and its spinoff but I skipped 1/3rd of it at random parts so should I go and watch those parts?"

Like, did you like the show? Then watch the show so you know the actual story?

Better Caul Saul has surprised me. I was expecting more of a comedy or a procedural lawyer thing. But it really does follow in Breaking Bad's footsteps in that this is the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman like BB was the story of how Walter White became Heisenberg. And for bonus points it seems like its also how people like Mike and Tuco became who they are. That's very cool and I wasn't expecting it.

And drat Odenkirk is a legit talented actor. I never would have thought that while I was watching Mr. Show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sometimes I even watch things as they air.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mostly what I watch live is news and sports. News is where I tend to "channel flip." I'll bounce between local, cable, euro, sports and just try to get as many different stories and takes as I can until I've burned myself out or feel like I've gotten everything. And sometimes its just because I'm too distracted to sit down and watch anything properly so I just flip channels in the background.

Like most people I watch most regular TV shows on DVR delay, either later that night or days later. But I'll never do that with sports. As far as I have always been concerned a taped game is old news and not worth watching. It just feels pointless to be engaged in the up and down of a game that has already been decided.

I also tend to like watching other "live events" like the Grammies as they are. That isn't to say I plan to watch the Grammies but I'll probably flip between it and sports or news tonight and once all that either settles down or I get sick of it I'll turn on something from my DVR.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, I just can't do that. I'll just say "Has the second half started? Well why am I watching all this first half when its already been decided? I can just see how it ends up at halftime." And then I skip forward. I just don't think I'll ever make peace with the idea of watching sports on tape delay.

But, you know, commercials don't bug me that much when I'm watching something like that. Bathroom breaks, snack breaks, social time. I don't want to deal with commercials when I'm watching Mad Men or whatever by myself, but sports are just different to me. Especially if its a social thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr. Fowl posted:

So I started watching Sparticus. Does it ever stop looking like rear end?

The first couple of episodes are trash. It gets better once they settle into a steady location and as a result looks better too. The first episode is God awful and looks like garbage. No one will disagree. But it gets better two or three in and by episode four or five it gets good.

Although the green screen and cgi never stops and there's always a somewhat surreal and not right feel and look to the show. But it's way different than the garbage look of the first episode or two.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it seems weird to imply that if I hate the character I must hate the show or be viscerally affected. Walter White was evil. I hated him. But he was just a TV character I wanted to see get poetic justice. He wasn't making me fear for humanity or something.

The thread did that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fooz posted:

I wish they found different actors for the Better Call Saul flashbacks. Bob Odenkirk does not look any younger in any costume.

See, I feel the exact opposite way. I have absolutely no problem suspending some disbelief and just accepting that an actor is playing younger if the actor himself is important and good enough to be worth using in that scene. On the other hand casting a different actor to fill a younger or older version of an important character is going to have a huge hurdle to get over with me as I compare them to the main actor and feel disconnected.

This of course doesn't apply to really extreme age gaps like with a kid version. And on a rare occasion an actor does an uncanny job playing a younger version of another actor's character and really makes me buy in.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I couldn't make it through Pacific Rim. I tried but I just couldn't. But to be fair, "Robots fighting Monsters" really didn't appeal to me very much. I was just bored and that stood out.

On the other hand I thought The Strain was totally harmless popcorn tv. But scary vampires is kind of in my wheelhouse so there you go. I'm sure if my interests were reversed I might have enjoyed Pacific Rim more than The Strain.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, that was my point. I was saying that my judgment wasn't totally fair since I wasn't into the genre and that The Strain was just more in my wheelhouse. The point being that I'm ok with Del Toro if he happens to hit my particular nerd notes but he doesn't seem to hook me in if I'm not already deeply invested. Because there IS science fiction and monster movies I have enjoyed. Pacific Rim just wasn't one of them.

Was there a point to reasserting that other than to stick it to me for something I plainly admitted?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never said I hated the genre. I'm indifferent to the idea of "Robots vs Monsters." It neither excites me nor bothers me. Then I decided to check out the movie because the premise is at least unique enough that it seemed worth giving it a shot. But it didn't work for me. But I'm sure someone who was more excited by that premise would have gotten a lot more out of it because it did in fact have Robots fighting Monsters.

And my point was that if the idea of scary vampires taking over New York City really appeals to you as it does for me then you might enjoy The Strain despite its numerous flaws. But if you're just looking for something to watch than it might not work as well because its got its fair share of flaws.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is Fargo available anywhere to watch? I'm looking for some news to check out and that's been on my radar but I can't seem to find it on Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Same with Hannibal. Is that anywhere to watch? I planned to get into S2 once I caught up on S1 but I never saw it pop up anywhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I know full well he's Spock but I was never a Star Trek fan and have barely watched any of that stuff. So for me I'll just get a little sad every time I play Civilization.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You've never seen Wrath of Khan?

I might have seen it when I was younger. I know I saw some of those Original Star Trek movies because my dad was into them. I just never really cared or enjoyed them. I watched a little of Next Generation and Deep Space Nine but that was basically just to bond with my dad. But then I learned he loved sports too so I abandoned the spaceships and aliens.

As an adult I just never had an interest in going back and checking that stuff out again. And the Original stuff looks too cheesy for me to take seriously.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was there really any kind of major backlash against the gay kiss on Walking Dead? I saw like one silly article and I'm sure there were some homophobic people who got all annoyed. But I didn't notice any kind of serious backlash anywhere.

I mean, I'm sure the thread here lost its mind but gently caress that thread. Its ridiculous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My unwanted 2 cents...

Game of Thrones is absurdly and pathetically gratuitous. Not just in sex or in the bigger matter of violence but in the even greater general brutality, cruelty, and "harsh lessons." There's some line you can cross where doing the "unexpected" or "unwanted" thing so often in the effort to shock in itself becomes so predictable that it becomes kind of tedious and juvenile. I'm not impressed when GoT goes certain places or subverts expectations. I just kind of look at it like a sad loser who gets off on that stuff.

But its really, really well done. There's some amazing actors portraying rich, complicated characters you both love and hate and some genuinely compelling stories across an amazing world. I have no real expectation that the series will payoff huge or satisfy me when it ends. In fact, I'm pretty much prepared to hate every ending of every story and every season and character arch. But the journey so far has made up for the soul crushing destinations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Every time I ever considered watching Parenthood the people I know who watch it (or this thread) gave me the sense that they were both recommending it as a good show to me while quietly motioning for me to run away because it would crush my soul.

And I already watch Shameless for that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Whedon had a pretty good idea of his world from the start, which is part of the appeal since you get the sense there's this rich world that you're just discovering piece by piece. And the cast had a lot of natural chemistry with each other and the characters. But the overall plot and story is kind of clunky and that's the kind of stuff that theoretically shapes up in Season 2. So I do think that's why people were so upset it got cancelled. It felt like it could have been something very good but it just never really had the chance. Especially when you tie in all that scheduling and advertising nonsense.

But it's been a loving decade. Everyone involved in the show moved on. Let's just all agree to get over it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whedon did Avengers. Fillion has Castle. Torres has Suits. Baldwin had Chuck. Baccarin has Homeland. Tudyck's been in a bunch of stuff including Frozen, Suburgatory, and Wreck-It-Ralph. Even lesser successful ones like Staite and Glau are basically genre cameo staples and have done stuff like Stargate, Terminator, and Arrow. And all of that is just off the top of my head and from what I've watched.

I mean, I'm sure they're not passing down money for some Firefly project that is offered to them but they've pretty much all gone on to have more success and do more things and its been OVER A DECADE! If they want to keep making money off the people still obsessively buying Jane's hat then more power to them but there's got to be a point where fandoms stop being obsessed about a show no matter how good it might have been or how much it might have got screwed.

But like, I know that's not true because there's stuff like Trekkies and Doctor Who and Star Wars. But still, I can wish.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he seems to do a million legitimate things. He seems very successful as a worker. Those few things I named were just the big stuff that came off the top of my head. Like I assume you can make a decent penny off of voice work in hugely successful Disney movies alone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

The difference is that when something is billed as "real" (or "real-ish" at least), it loses most of its appeal when it's not at all.

I mean, if you're watching it BECAUSE you think its "real", then fine. You're getting scammed. But if you enjoy the Kardashians because its entertaining, than who cares if its real or not? I don't watch the show but I don't really judge someone who does. I have my embarrassing trash I enjoy too and that fact that its got an extra layer of "fake" to it doesn't make it any better or worse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Penny Dreadful is pulpy trash on its face but its well done. Eva Green is amazing in it and Timothy Dalton chews the scenery like crazy. The mood is great, the look of it is perfect, and if the idea of mashing together Victorian horror stories appeals to you on paper it should deliver. Go in with reasonable expectations. Its not a great story, its not great writing, but its fun, creepy, sometimes genuinely get under your skin horror entertainment. Its actually one of the few horror TV shows I've ever seen that I thought really worked for the genre.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Walt was already a broken and bitter man when we met him and pretty much immediately started making selfish, destructive decisions. Jimmy's a flawed protagonist but he's got genuine hope and makes some ethical decisions. We're really watching the world beat Jimmy down where we met Walt after he had already given up.

I think Better Call Saul is a very worthy predecessor to Breaking Bad that is living up to its high standards, of course realizing that we're not even one season through so Saul has a long way to go to be one of "the best shows ever." But its got all the good elements of Breaking Bad without any of the growing pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. The first half of the first season is legitimately good with a lot of potential. And the second half has its problems but at least ties up some of those stories and I think its probably a fine place to just stop watching.

I only made it through three seasons I think but it most definitely goes off the rails as it goes on and pretty much loses most of what makes it appealing in those first 13 episodes.

SA2K posted:

So I'm about six episodes into the first season of The Wire (after being told by many people that it's the best show ever made), and the story just isn't really pulling me in. Is this one of those shows that starts out kind of slow and captures you later on down the road? Or is it five seasons of them just wire tapping payphones?

The Wire is THE show that "starts out kind of slow and captures you later down the road." Its a very deep and intricate world that very, very slowly unravels until one day you find you're deeply invested (or don't, some people don't). Keep watching for now. Episode 10-11 is when the show really, really CLICKS for a lot of people (or did for me). Until that point I didn't feel that deeply invested but a lot of stuff that built slowly comes together at that point and I fell in love. It also basically led me to immediately rewatch the entire season because I was starting to notice poo poo that I didn't fully pay attention to the first time around and wanted to go back and see what I might have missed.

Also, Season 2 has the same kind of slow start unfortunately. But if you enjoy Season 1 stick with Season 2 and it will reward you better. And Season 3 is a much quicker pick up and going forward. I feel like the most honest thing I can tell you that might affect your opinion is that I think The Wire is the greatest show of all time but it took me like 3 times to get through the first season before I really hankered down and let it suck me in.

But I'd say definitely finish off Season 1. You haven't yet hit the big turning point of the season where everything comes together. Its not a "the show is bad to this point" thing either, its a "everything up until this point was building to this" thing. So finish it out and if you don't enjoy it skip the next four seasons because S2 is a lot more of the same in tone and pacing. But I think most people don't really get plugged in until later in Season 1.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 31, 2015

• Locked thread