Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just saw the Man Seeking Woman pilot. The first act was just okay, but I think things really picked up by the halfway point of the episode. Not totally on board but it's a decent enough start.

Also whoever picks the music for the show really really likes Crystal Castles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
"Fly" is great, people just hate it because it doesn't involve shooting people I guess.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I just watched the "Bird Up!" episode of Eric Andre Show and I'm pretty convinced that Eric Andre is the most dangerously insane human being on television.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I stopped watching AOS at the end of Season 1 because the show didn't really improve at all, it just made some cosmetic changes that somewhat hid the show's problems. The show still had uninspired directing, trite dialogue, and one-dimensional characters; the introduction of an actual serial plot, Marvel namedrops, and a complete character rewrite felt like distractions to hide from that crippling writing flaw. I think the biggest hurdle to me for enjoying the "new and improved" AOS was that the show kept expecting me to care and have an emotional connection to the characters, despite the first 17 episodes not doing a thing to make any of them interesting or likeable.

I'm still convinced that the awful first half of Season 1 was just a plot to make the rest of the show look more appealing via Stockholm syndrome.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Thirding the praise on this Brett Gelman special :stonk:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Chuck Lorre is a dangerously insane human being.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you have more gifs from the finale?

Knock yourself out

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Breaking Bad finale owns because it looks at the "Walter White is an evil man who should be taken down" arguments, agrees, and then rewards Walt anyway :dukedog:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

You choose wisely.

At least most CD threads are somewhat readable, none of the masturbatory deaf arthur poo poo in CD comes even close to the battle of rabid one-upsmanship of who is the most insightful like cartoon threads (except when it comes to superhero movies I guess). There's a reason why a certain one must not be named, after all.

It's not overanalysis if the college-level readings are confirmed correct by the writers of the show. That's just analysis.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

It's a big step from being funny to being a good host, but so far CC has done a good job about picking who should be behind a desk so I'll reserve judgement.

Larry Wilmore feels like the worst possible replacement for Colbert.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
So uh Galavant is getting renewed :stare:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
DC's Legends of Tomorrow just dropped a trailer and it looks loving insane. Props to CW for absolutely committing to the concept, even though it's clear that they don't have that much money to throw around.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
When was the last time people gave a poo poo about something the Simpsons writing staff actually wrote? It feels like all the press this show has gotten for over a decade is "_____ did a couch gag" or "_____ made a guest appearance".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Grown adults trying to be the arbiter of what children do and do not enjoy will never not be funny. Won't someone think of the hypothetical children?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

IRQ posted:

poo poo must've gotten real bad if even those greasy nerds in the RV kicked him out.

Didn't they die or something?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, just got around to watching Mr. Robot and this is great. Does anyone know if this show is doing well or if it's going to succumb to the curse of Christian Slater?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bojack Horseman is frustrating to me because it's consistently almost great, but it can never decide whether it wants to do serious dramedy or just make hacky showbiz and animal jokes. I'm interested in seeing season 2 but I think it's far from great.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Sober posted:

You will enjoy White Christmas.

Also some people are on/off about White Bear. I liked it but I think the whole point was that it went waaaaaay past the point where is just is almost comically hilarious and there's no self-awareness from any of the characters, which I think was the point, if a bit belaboured for some.

The Waldo Moment was like ... it was okay but it just could not stick to a decent landing. Especially that scene at the very end just put it into really stupid territory, and not the same kind as at least White Bear did.

Mark me up as another one who hated White Bear. I think it might have been decent if something about the simulation had gone wrong or if they did anything but play things straight,, but it just felt like excessive shock value for shock value's sake. Maybe it's because I don't really have any interest or connection to the Moors murders, but the episode's message wasn't strong enough to justify how ploddingly miserable it all is.

Also I think I might be in the minority that loved Waldo Moment, including the ending.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The last five minutes of tonight's Mr. Robot is probably one of the best television scenes I've seen all year.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
There's no real point in summarizing it; it was all in the execution.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Mr. Robot is a complete mindfuck of a show :psyboom:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I love Criminal Minds, with a full admission that the show is the trashiest, most exploitative thing ever. What I really like about the show is that it looks at the CSI formula and takes everything to the most bugfuck nuts extremes possible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Didn't the last episode of that show say that the aliens were going to invade in 2012? Are they just going to handwave that away by saying they stopped the invasion offscreen?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Just finished binge watching all of Review and all I can say is :vince:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

xcore posted:

Just got update to date with Review. Holy poo poo, poor Forrest. I know we like watching him tailspin into disaster, but this guy really needs a good break.

Part of what makes Review such an aggravating watch is that Forrest is a really nice guy who doesn't deserve all the awful poo poo that happens to him, but he's so loving stupid principled that most of what happens to him is entirely his fault anyway.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That episode wasn't good but it wasn't nearly as bad as the iPhone episode.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

I can say this about Black Mirror-- out of the 7 exisitng episodes all but 1 is worth watching (S2E3 is dogshit), even if only 1 episode is truly great (S1E3).

S2E3 isn't "White Bear".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
So this week's episode of Fargo sure is something, huh :suspense:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I could never really get into MST3K. I love the experience of riffing on a bad movie with friends, but the act of watching a group of complete strangers do it does nothing for me. It just feels like a lot of effort sifting through a lot of material just to find a handful of funny quips.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Sutter has decided to cancel Bastard Executioner and he did in the most passive aggressive way possible: Broadsheet ad:

"Decided" to cancel the show? Does Kurt Sutter actually have the power to do that or is this just Sutter's way of saving face before the execs cancel it anyway?

"My show wasn't cancelled, I decided to end it because clearly not enough people appreciated it :smug:"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Criminal Minds is great, because it's a procedural cop show that takes place in some ridiculous horror movie universe. It's super refreshing to see a show go "gently caress realism, let's just make the villain Jason Alexander in a wig".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Manos del Sino posted:

I must be broken. The Waldo Moment is my second favorite episode of Black Mirror after 15 Million Merits.

Same here. I must be doubly broken because I also think White Bear is complete unadulterated garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I might get burned at the stake for this, but I enjoyed Furious 7 more than Fury Road

• Locked thread