Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this? posted:

USA has not so covertly canceled Covert Affairs and unlike other recently ended USA shows it is not getting a final season so the recently aired finale (which apparently ended on a cliffhanger) is it for the show. Not really a big surprise as the show got terrible ratings and USA has a ton of new content coming up.

Aw man, that sucks. Covert Affairs really turned into a great spy story over the last couple of seasons. While it was something of a cliffhanger, it at least left most of the characters in an "ending" kind of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Part of it too is that they all live in Vancouver. It's not like X-Files where the leads lived in LA or Stargate.

Gillian Anderson lived in Stargate?!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Danny Boyle made a cop show called Babylon and it apparently aired all the episodes already. Came and went quickly without notice it seems. Don't people give a poo poo about Danny Boyle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H3JdvlmoyU

I watched the pilot episode when it aired, but there were none that I could find on the schedule after that. Show was good, not great, and after a few weeks I kind of forgot about it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been thinking about re-watching the first season of Heroes to see if it's really as good as I thought it was at the time, or if it just seemed better in light of the three subsequent seasons.

Is there any series that had a worse sophomore slump than Heroes?

Friday Night Lights is certainly in contention.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

You're all confused, last week was the Cougar Town finale, this week was the premiere of Sunshine State.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I still laugh thinking about the part in Under the Dome S2 where the plucky teenagers spend more than one episode trying to obtain and analyze a blood sample, and as soon as they get it under the microscope they realize they have no idea how to analyze a blood sample.

I think someone in the thread summed the show up well as saying each character is only capable of remembering the last two or three things any other character did, allowing big deals like murders and insane despotism to be completely forgotten over the relatively-short time period of the show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gonz posted:

Turn: Washington's Spies began it's second season on AMC last night with a two hour episode.

The first season was alright, not great. If they had kept it on Saturdays I would definitely have jumped back in, but it doesn't make the cut on Mondays.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

DoggPickle posted:

Well helix and the following are in serious competition for dumbest characters ever on t.v., so you're pretty much scraping the same part of the barrel there. Lol.

Under the Dome is still the champion.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

zoux posted:

We just got Showtime as part of a "please please don't switch to Google Fiber" promotion, so: what's worth watching (besides Shameless)?

The Affair, Penny Dreadful, Masters of Sex (the first season at least), Homeland (the first season at least)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

pentyne posted:

Season 3 re-invents the wheel and does a really good job making the show stay interesting after season 2 ends. Season 4 is only 8 episodes, and is more of a "let's give this show a proper finale" and does it really well for the most part.

Speaking of good shows, I started Hell on Wheels back up after a few months, and drat does it do some great sprawling gunfights. I can't remember when but sometime during season 1 there's an insane shoot-out that lasts for 1/3 of the episode.

Funny thing about Hell on Wheels, if The Walking Dead didn't exist HoW would be the biggest success on cable right now.

Hell on Wheels evolved into a really great show. I watched the first season out of curiosity, didn't really like it and stuck with it like a chore, but somewhere along the way it clicked and became excellent. One of the most underrated shows on TV, I'd say.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Keeping with the Netflix theme, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is excellent. And of course 30 Rock.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

^^^I will be for sure.

Legends of Tomorrow looks amazing. Supergirl looks kinda stupid (though I'll still be giving it a shot, despite the First Look essentially being a condensed version of the entire pilot).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

they loved the parts directed by david lynch? whoah

Lynch directed 6 total episodes of the show, and only 2 of the first season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Manos del Sino posted:

We decided to look up what Michael "SG-1's Daniel Jackson" Shanks was up to and were surprised to find that he's been in a show for the last three years called Saving Hope (not to be confused with Raising Hope, or Saving Grace.) So we've been watching that...

It's kind of bland but passable, and similar to what I imagine Grey's Anatomy is (something I intend to watch someday, but haven't got around to yet.) It costars Elijah from The Vampire Diaries, Lois Lane and Whitney from Smallville, Hale from Lost Girl, and a few others I sort of recognize from what I'm assuming are Canadaland's finest. There's even ghosts, and lens flares. So many lens flares. The Star Trek movie has nothing on the overuse of lens flares in this show.

I remember watching the first season of that on NBC, then they canceled it but apparently it was a big enough hit in Canada to stay on the air there.

I generally enjoyed the first season, and if the second two had aired on NBC I probably would have kept watching (see also: Crossing Lines).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

midnightclimax posted:

huh really? pfft. I always though Matt Dillon is a fun actor, was hoping for some interim true detective.

It's nowhere close to TD in quality, but it's an interesting show in the Twin Peaks vein. I've been enjoying it. Give the first couple a shot, see what you think.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Mr. Robot loving sucks. Thanks for reading.

E: The most punchable face. We also get a hacker who is working for the company he hates, literally "Evil Corp.", and he has a Denis Leary or maybe Andy Sorkin-esque rant but it's about Steve Jobs, slave labor, Transformers 2... So far the plot is lifted directly out of Fight Club. What a stupid show. Also this dude gets to do molly, morphine, and smoke joints but Constantine couldn't puff a cig?

Constantine smoked cigarettes all the time on his show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Haven is a good show, even if it's only very loosely based on Stephen King at this point.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Hemlock Grove's first season was flat-out awful, but I thought it really found its rhythm in the second season. It's still not great but the second season was at least interesting, and the execution was an order of magnitude better.

I'm enjoying Sense8 so far, but I agree about the opening. Doesn't help that it's literally 2 minutes long.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Also El Milf Supremo...Famke Janssen.

Who is sporting a terrible English accent, while primarily sharing scenes with Englishman Dougray Scott as he puts on a terrible American accent.

Of course, they resolve Famke's accent problem in the second season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobby posted:

Has anyone else watched UnREAL? Terrible title and it's on Lifetime, but it's like Burning Love played as a drama. It's co-run by a former producer for the Bachelor and Marti Noxon, and it's got a really low to the ground, emotionally brutal take on the backstage goings-on at a Bachelor-type show. The main character (a producer with a possibly-BPD-related knack for manipulating emotional responses out of their contestants) is loving fascinating to watch.

Yeah, it's pretty great so far. I'm surprised at how disheveled and rock-bottom Appleby's character is, but it works at showing how soul-destroying that work really is.

VVV Edit: How have you seen the first four? Only two have aired so far, right?

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 12, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Bad Breaks is another classic Burn Notice episode, where Michael tries to disrupt a hostage-robbery situation from the inside.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

Speaking of Showtime shows, I cancelled my sub to get HBO for Veep and Game of Thrones and missed out on Shameless this season. How was it? Was it good and/or soul-crushing like usual?

It was very good. Frank and Ian in particular had great stories.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The first episode of True Detective season 2 was kind of rough. I didn't think it was bad but it does have a problem of how unlike the first season it has a much broader focus, which made it seem almost unfocused at times since it had twice as many characters to deal with. Colin Farrell is the most interesting character so far just on the dint that he is given the most to do.

I thought it was pretty good, myself. It was essentially a pilot, which are always a little rough and expository, but the world and characters it presents are interesting.

Of course, I was never one of those people who thought the first season was phenomenal TV, just a very good HBO drama. Potential which, in my opinion, this season definitely possesses.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

zoux posted:

What was the last show to do an honest to god clip show first run episode?

The Blacklist did one earlier this year. In its second season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey the book was great, Neil Gaiman just has a problem with making an actual ending for his stuff though.

Unfortunately, Bryan Fuller and the creator of "Kings" offer no precedent for whether or not they know how to craft a successful, planned ending to a show.

There is precedent there for the show being great, though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

smg77 posted:

How was Mr. Robot? I haven't watched a show on USA since Monk went off the air but I really liked Rami Malek in The Pacific.

It was really good. Felt very slick and cinematic, and Malek was great.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Watched the first episode....It's set roughly the same time as The Americans. It's pretty great!

Interestingly the series begins at almost the exact moment this past season of The Americans ends, with Reagan's "Evil Empire" speech.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

HUMAN FISH posted:

Murder in the First is a good show

Agreed. I was worried how it would function once the villain from the first season was out of the picture, but they've done a good job so far.

Though Emmanuelle Chriqui is one of the least-convincing SWAT members ever.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Second season of Masters of Sex was pretty rough, mostly due to the ultra-clumsy handling of the race relations storyline.

I'll be watching the new season though, since the show has proven to be capable of some really amazing stuff and I'm hopeful the time jump will help reset the story in a better place.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I think I'm way more likely to get the Captain Marvel role than Halle Berry is, and she has an Oscar.

Halle Berry is garbage in comic book movies.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Rich Fulcher as Mark Twain on Another Period was pretty great.

"Tom Sawyer was based on my boyhood lover. Look it up!"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Is it just me or was The Spoils Before Dying like a hundred times better than The Spoils of Babylon? Just finished it and thought it was great.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sober posted:

Killjoys is good. If this opinion makes me a bad person then so be it.

Nah you're right, it's really good.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Dominion worth watching?

It's not good. The first episode of the second season was a significant improvement, and if you're in the market for cheesy fantasy stuff it does the trick, but I'm mostly watching out of morbid curiosity/obligation at this point.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

Didn't they get rid of the love interest and her douchey but likable boyfriend in Season 2 completely? I somehow watched the show but can barely remember it at this point.

Yeah, Odette Annable left the show, Megan Mullally came on, I think the British woman was new in the second season as well. It was a solid show in the first season, but the second was pretty much an abomination.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

precision posted:

What's the deal with Pretty Little Liars? Like, shouldn't they all have graduated college by now?

Each season doesn't equate to a full year. At this point they're all weeks away from graduating high school, so the series has taken place over something like two years.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sasha Pieterse, who plays Allison on PLL, was the only one of the group who was actually close to her character's age, and was used very sparingly over the first couple of seasons. Not coincidentally, she became a much bigger part of the show once she turned 18.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

hcreight posted:

Fun fact: an actress who played a teenager on Buffy later went on to play a teenager on PLL.

Yeah, but Bianca Lawson is terrifyingly ageless.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

xeria posted:

There was a spinoff with ghosts or some poo poo. It failed pretty hard, though, and they sent the lead dude on it right on back to PLL.

Yeah, on the spinoff he learned that he was literally a reincarnation of some guy from the 20s and had a cosmic love connection to this girl who died in the first episode (but whose ghost stuck around so they could make eyes at each other). But once the show was canceled yeah, he was right back on PLL stressing out about a cyberstalker and getting back with his original girlfriend. Though I think there were at least a few episodes where he was still rattled as hell by all the supernatural stuff, it's long forgotten by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

First, it's not that guy's room, it's the video game store where he works. So the posters and screens make a bit more sense.

Second, she says "It's my first time" in response to somebody else asking her what the video is that everyone is receiving (indicated by the chorus of message alert sounds ringing through the coffee shop). As in, it's a video of her losing her virginity. So it's not as random or nonsensical of a thing to say as you presented it.

Granted, I've generally been enjoying the show for what it is, so I'm not unbiased.

• Locked thread