Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man I really want to contribute to that TVIV poll, but I don't think I've watched 10 good shows from this year... I've got six so far, and everything else I remember watching was bad. I guess I should watch some more shows really quick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think Priyanka Chopra is the real problem with Quantico, the real fact is the show is so loving bad you could slap of the best actresses in history in that show and it wouldn't help.

All I've seen of it that sneak peak posted earlier of the "you don't me enough eye contact/how do I know if I'm gonna get dumped?"

loving lol. Meryl Streep couldn't save that poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't really watched Last Week Tonight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

who are you

I mean I've seen some clips, but I don't have HBO? I tend not to watch shows I don't get? When they finally put HBO Now on ps4 I'll probably get it. My roommate talked about getting it on her amazon fire and moving that to the living room, so that might also happen.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

It's interesting times we live in when I can't tell if he's going to announce WWIII or a veto on the senate vote to repeal PPACA.

Now I have a pretty funny mental image of "announcing a war".

"My fellow Americans... I bring you: A New War!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He announces a holy crusade and gets the entire bible belt and all their guns to go fight ISIS.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

If you don't fight in the name of Zoroastrianism, then you're doing it all wrong IMO.

I think Sky Burial is a thing that should come back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not really worried about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Showtime shows are just loving terrible. Weeds, Dexter, and Californication are all terrible. I know because I watched at least three seasons of each because I have terrible taste in how I spend my time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

It's easy to tell who doesn't know jack poo poo about TV - they use CW as an insult.

Which CW shows are good? I like shows full of pretty people... I think the only one I currently watch is The Flash...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I stopped watching The 100 at like, the end or near the end of season 1. It was just too bad. If it weren't for the terribly unwatchable "drama" up on the space station it would have been fine. But poo poo was seriously bad. I'll probably come back to it at some point.

It's hard for me to get back into Arrow because they keep dropping spoilers for it in The Flash, so now I know a ton of poo poo that happens in Arrow but I'm two season's behind.

There's no way I'm watching a show called iZombie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Arrow is really loving bad. It has some charm, and I'm going to finish it some day, but it's bad.

If you want to sell me on iZombie, you're gonna have to undo all the damage that the show's marketing has done.

quote:

Seattle medical resident Olivia "Liv" Moore is turned into a zombie while attending a boat party. To cope with her new appetite for brains, Liv takes a job at the King County morgue and shares her secret with her boss, Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti. In order for Liv to survive, Ravi encourages her to eat the brains of murder victims who are delivered to the morgue. Whenever she eats a victim's brain, Liv inherits some of their personality traits temporarily. She also experiences flashbacks which often give her clues as to the nature of the murder. Liv uses this new ability to help the Seattle Police Department solve crimes, passing herself off as a psychic consultant.

Wait is like, for the same demographic that likes Psych? Because if so, yeah I'm gonna pass.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's from Rob Thomas.

You know, the lead singer of Matchbox 20?

Oh, he created Party Down and wrote two episodes of Dawson's Creek that I just watched last week. Okay, I'm interested.

What makes iZombie good?

edit:

Aphrodite posted:

iZombie is actually awful as a procedural and wastes its hook to be basically Veronica Mars.

That's kind of, sort of a compliment.
See that's what I was afraid of. Veronica Mars is... well I can't say I thought it was good, but I did watch most (all?) of it. There was a lot of eye-rolling involved though because ugh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

You know what show is loving amazing? The original Law & Order is loving amazing.

I started watching it from the beginning while I had downtime at work and I've barreled through the first three seasons in no time. Going in, I wasn't expecting much but I don't think that there's been another show is his consistent ever.

I know that people have lost appreciation for the show's formula thanks to 20 seasons and four spinoffs, but trust me when I say that Law & Order is totally worth a rewatch.

I have always wanted to get into original L&O. The few episodes I've seen were really good. I also need to watch The West Wing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

If that's the reason why you're not watching the show you're in luck (massive S1 finale spoilers about the Ark) Ellen Tigh steals one of the few escape craft on the Ark and in the process permanently cripples the station; the escape craft explodes on reentry. The station is so badly screwed by this that it becomes better for them to crash the thing into Earth and keep people in what sections may stay intact during reentry. The season ends with most of the Ark on Earth and Jaha chilling alone with little oxygen on the few remaining sections of the Ark in space.

Oh yeah I saw that. I guess I finished season 1. I'll probably wait until s2 is on netflix.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So what are the ways to watch 12 Monkeys? I saw that it wasn't on any of the things I pay for, so I never watched it. Is it legally streaming for free anywhere?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I only watch shows I can stream through my ps4 somehow. I am far too lazy to bother hooking my laptop up to my tv, which, looking at it right now, is probably not even possible without a bunch of adapters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think if they let him keep at it long enough he will carve out the right demographic, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also like Ray Donovan.

Ray Donovan is a Showtime series, which means it had a 95% chance to be garbage.

I have some borderline sexist theories about Showtime's viewer demographics and how it impacts the narrative of their shows. But showtime closely guards their demographic data and I'm afraid I'll get branded an MRA for talking about it.

Edit: Since I've brought this up in the stupidest possible way, here is my theory about Showtime and it's attempts to cater to what I believe is its target demographic:

I have watched three different Showtime shows: Dexter (all of it, don't ask), Weeds (first 3 seasons) and Californication (first 2+ seasons?).

I quit watching weeds because I found all the characters completely unlikeable, especially the protagonist. She's basically bumbling around with now clue what she's doing ruining everything for everyone. But unlike, say, Breaking Bad, where this is portrayed as a bad thing, we're intended to be sympathetic to her "honest mistakes" and general plight. Her plight where she doesn't want to have to sell her 2 million dollar house so she is a career criminal getting people killed. And we're supposed to like her.

So I'm watching Californication, and at the end of season one (SPOILERS!!) David Duchovny's character's ex wife leaves her new fiance at the altar to come live with Duchovny because she still has feelings for him. Like 2 episodes into the next season, she tells him things aren't working out and she needs space. So he needs to move out. HE NEEDS TO MOVE OUT OF HIS APARTMENT. THAT HE MOVED TO FROM loving NEW YORK to be closer to his daughter. Okay so he does that.

Then we have Dexter, which only sort of fits this pattern. Dexter is supposedly about a psychopath with a heart of gold. Well, the heart of gold part is right. Dexter behaves like not psychopath I've ever heard of. He is a family man, with a conveniently edgy reason to stab people in the face for being bad. This show is basically for the SVU crowd.

We have two shows about wealth, middle-aged women who can do no wrong, and a show about a big burly man who is violently protective, to a fault, of all the women in his life. I think that Showtime knows that its most popular demographic is upper-middle class suburban housewives (which I only suspect), and it's trying to provide content that will appeal to them.

If this isn't the case, then the writers of those shows are even worse than I thought and just have no idea how to tell stories.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 10, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

Also this happens like 3 more times, including a time where Duchovny's ex wife's current seemingly-happily married new husband decides that he's actually gay and just up and leaves so that Duchovny and his ex wife can be together.

I liked the first couple seasons of Californication but god drat did that show just completely run out of ideas at some point.

Just the idea that Duchovny's character wouldn't be like "um, not I'm not moving out. You just bailed on your rich fiance that you were living with to move into my sweet bachelor pad, now you're saying that I HAVE TO MOVE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BREAK UP? ARE loving making GBS threads ME?"

Like there isn't even an argument or discussion. It goes from "this isn't working out" to he's out on his rear end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, which character is supposed to be sympathetic in Weeds?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Surely someone will make a great LA noir series using this premise one day?

If the next season of True Detective took place in the 50s I would poo poo my pants.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Before I quit watching it, I did think The 100 was loving awesome for that one epsiode (s1) where the little kid loving shanks that guy to death.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

starry skies above posted:

I've been thinking about Breaking Bad lately...

The show was excellent drama but now that it's been sometime since its end I've come to realize its one glaring flaws: it demonized drug users. It never represented responsible drug use and depicted all drug use as unhinged, irresponsible and maniacal. Yes the program was never that concerned with showing the effects of drug use but every time it did it opted to demonize and shame.

Walt and Jessie are depicted as engaging in heinous evil in manufacturing and selling drugs rather than as capitalist heroes who are defying unjust and puritanical restrictions on freedom. The show bought into the ethos of the drug war and somewhat worked as propaganda for it.

It doesn't really. It shows that hard drugs like meth can totally destroy your life and looks at some examples of that.

I mean, how much responsible crystal meth use in there?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

And by extension makes the drug war look reasonable and the DEA heroic. Focusing on the worst cases of drug abuse is the propaganda ploy employed by drug warriors and the show kind of gave in to that whenever it showed people using meth.

it doesn't actually though. It shows Jessie as a victim and Hank as disillusioned with the violence.

I mean I'm against the War on Drugs as much as anyone, but you're going to have to come up with some examples of responsible meth use if you want to complain that they didn't show any.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Stupids gon' stupe.

The show is not about that, but you can't fill every story with failsafes to try to prevent idiots from getting the wrong message.

edit: Here's the thing: You are trying to equate tolerance of social minorities with acceptance of drug use. The solution to the war on drugs is not to accept that it's okay to smoke meth and crack, but that people who are addicted to these substances are victims and need help. By your own logic, this would equate to transgender and homosexual people being victims and needing help. Something we just spent centuries trying to change.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 10, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, do you see any shows where people just do things and live normal, unexciting lives?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drug use should be accepted. It's perfectly natural for a human being to alter their consciousness. "Breaking Bad" at the end was making a case against pharmacological freedom by only depicting drug users as negatively as possible.

Maybe, but the point is that the show is demonizing drug manufacturers and distributors. They are the real bad guys both in the show AND IN REAL LIFE.

Drug use being acceptable in a vacuum is one thing, but the system we have now for obtaining these mind altering substances is not a safe environment. It's like how abortion should be legal, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to go to some underground clinic. The dangers of these underground abortion clinics is one of the big arguments for legalization of abortion. You are essentially saying "you shouldn't show downsides to going to a whackjob with a coathanger because it vindicates the anti Planned Parenthood people". Which is just completely wrong.

Maybe try thinking about your arguments before you post them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Drug manufacturers and distributors, when they are non-violent, should be depicted as capitalist heroes and as people merely taking advantage of market conditions. They may be good or bad, like any business people, but uniformly depicting them as bad is pure propaganda especially when the regulatory and legal system that allows these people to flourish in the first place goes unexamined. Walt and Pinkman are enterprising fellows who provide people with a good that was unjustly denied to them. Depicting these two, and their customers, as bad or morally compromised because of their transactions plays into the hands of drug prohibitionists.

It's almost like the entire loving show was about a guy trying to be a non-violent drug manufacturer and how that didn't work. There were no non-violent drug distributors in the show.

By all means, prove me wrong and show me some examples of meth distributors that aren't linked to violent crimes. Probably there ARE some that exist, but that's not what the show is about.

You're right, the show depicts production, distribution, and consumption, of crystal meth as a bad thing. If you don't like that, it's not a show for you.

edit: I am done feeding the troll.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Thank you so much for making my night.

I am singling you out because of your avatar: Please tell me how much I should watch Bojack Horseman. I watched like the first episode, and I am intrigued. Does it stay good/get better/have anything interesting to say?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

it does get better and in fact gets a lot better

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45a1NTArG-g

Sweet, I should remember to watch it then. (I'm not clicking that video, sorry, I'd rather just see it at part of the show)

Thanks!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Division Post is actually the one who "spoiled it" since I had no idea what the contents of that video link where until he quoted it describing what it was. But it's okay, that was just funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. The The 100 season 2 intro is super cool.

Also W/ Bob and David was loving great. Classic Mr. Show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's no way this baby in The 100 is even real.

Edit: haha, called it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 13, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

My issue is that while I adore Odenkirk, I just cannot stand David Cross. Dude has this perpetual smug smirk that drives me nuts.

David Cross is a great comedian, whose talent is centered around playing really hateable characters.

It is safe to say that if you don't like David Cross you won't like either Mr. Show or W/ Bon and David.

Edit: holy poo poo you guys were right about The 100. Season 2 is like a much better show.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 13, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Season 2 takes what worked in Season 1 and hits you in the balls with it. Repeatedly.

FWIW I didn't like the first episode of W/ Bob and David but loved the second. It's definitely not consistent.

Well Season 1 beat me in the balls with poo poo that didn't work, so this is a big improvement.

I was about to post that "Marcus is a still a fuckwad I can't believe they crashed the Arc and I still have to deal with this bullshit plot," but then they actually gave him a little dimesion as a character and offloaded some of his bitchiness to this other character. Although she looks like such a hard motherfuckin badass I'll be pretty sad if she stays this two dimensional.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Marcus not actually being a bad guy at all is another one of the fun subversions the show does.

Okay but he was basically a cartoon villain for all of season 1. That's the drama that made me quit watching the show in the first place.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's been a while, but I recall the turn being somewhere in season 1 actually.

I mean MAYBE, but they can't undo the way they wrote his character in the beginning. But there's no way I'm going to back and watch it again to see if I remember right. I hate basically all the adult characters. The children are somehow more mature and make better plans.

^spoilers, man!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haha The 100 has the most entertaining portrayal of radiation poisoning.

This show kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
More The 100 commentary: I never thought in a million years that loving Octavia would be one of the characters I was rooting for the most.

They obviously set this up in the first season, but they failed super hard at making her likeable.

Edit: ooooooh holy poo poo Major Burn is not a villain either. This show is so good.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 14, 2015

• Locked thread