Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The only debt I have is for the car. I use my credit card as a fraud barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

People who live in the Southeast US, how bad have roaches been for you? I loving hate them and have been lucky to never see them while living in WA and CA... But if we go to AL, it's a possibility. And my wife is even less bug-tolerant than I.

Living in Maui for a summer was awesome... except for the 3" roaches that occasionally wandered in :v:

They are around, but if you keep the area around your house free of places for them to live and stuff for them to eat, you'll probably be fine. Though once you get the fuckers, they're a complete pain to actually get rid of. You pretty much need to gas the little fuckers to make sure you kill every last one so they can't just repopulate and take over the area again. Total bloody genocide or nothing. :black101:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Right now I'm using data from the PLC output to plot different emissions as they pertain to mass of oil injection, coal feed, and limestone feed. Also other random poo poo like gross MW and mass steam flow to the turbine. Using this data we're standardizing boiler startup as best we can so we can meet the EPA's restrictions on air emissions (A Good Thing TM)

It's a really neat process. You use oil as starter fluid for the boiler, because the bed temp has to get up to a certain point before large amounts of coal can "roll" :haw: Oil has a shitload of sulfur dioxide byproduct and we're trying to lessen that by making up new ways to heat the boiler bed faster so we can switch over to coal sooner.

Limestone apparently does wonders for emissions and I have no clue why, but they use a bunch of it (~10% of the coal feed) and you can just watch the sulfur, NOx, and CO emissions plummet when we feed limestone. We found out yesterday, however, that Limestone will jack SO2 emissions through the roof if we feed it in before the bed is up to temperature, hence the search for faster bed heating methods.

The basic air/fuel ratio is there just like in cars, but it's hard as poo poo to get right and varies wildly with solid fuels. We take for granted the ease of which octane (and other liquid fuels) burn steadily. They have a bunch of different methods of pulverizing or superheating coal to take that variability in stoichiometry in their favor, but it's still hard as poo poo.

This also has the added problem of "fuel timing". Where in a car you use the throttle as air input and fuel "follows" through base-mapping or PID control (closed-loop via the O2 sensor), both the air and solid fuel have to be on PID control in a coal boiler. Temperature is super critical and there's a huge process to get it up to around 1800 degrees F and keep it stoich the entire time.

And that's just the freaking tip of the iceburg. There's so much auxiliary equipment that's been added to the intake and exhaust on both the air and feedwater (think "turbocharging" on both sides of both systems, and then think intercooling/interheating as well) to make the thing more efficient and it's all as exciting as learning about how turbos work for the first time.

Oh also :coal:

That's actually really cool. Sounds like poo poo I would've loved in Uni from the environmental side. I did a lot of work measuring pollutants in water sources down(wind/river/etc) from power plants and industrial areas. Its fascinating how much work goes into making things as efficient as possible. Its interesting that Limestone at sub-optimal temperatures would spike SO2 emissions - any clue where that spike comes from? Is it a chemical binding of agents that would otherwise bind to the sulfur in the coal or additives, or something retarding a combustion process resulting in a substantial increase in SO2 emissions?

Also, from what I'm reading here, my dream of converting an old jeep to Coal is a bad call? :)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

keykey posted:

Why didn't he just get his own account to begin with?

STR probably has Amazon Prime and he doesn't.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's odd because you can share it with 4 other people

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I wanted to be a little bit like 13", so I bought an old belt-driven oil-lubricated air compressor. The ad I saw is below, it was some guy that had a bunch of junk in a warehouse that he got from auctions. Cord was cut, so he assumed it was broken. I wired it up (already configured for 110v), plugged it in and boom, working perfectly. Now I just need to clean 40 years of industrial grime off of it, fully service it, and then get it plumbed in to replace my old Craftsman direct-drive one that is noisy as all hell.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

I still fail to see how that's STR's issue.. I wouldn't even ask somebody else about something like that when money is involved, I'd just pay for prime if I spent that much at Amazon or just leave it alone, either way I wouldn't make it somebody else's problem and impose on them, much less ask to use their account. If it was something where it would be a 1 time thing, I'd give them cash to purchase something for me but still flip them a few bucks for their trouble.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

I still fail to see how that's STR's issue..

Because bloods thicker than water and most of the time blood is tainted with poison.
and well. people are just lovely

Both of my parents used my credit when I was a teen without my consent. took loving years to get all that poo poo removed.
No CCs, No debts, if I can't buy cash, I don't loving need it.
yet everybody in the bay wants 700 credit to rent a loving house. :suicide:

Adiabatic: thats loving awesome. Keep going. :allears:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I wanted to be a little bit like 13", so I bought an old belt-driven oil-lubricated air compressor. The ad I saw is below, it was some guy that had a bunch of junk in a warehouse that he got from auctions. Cord was cut, so he assumed it was broken. I wired it up (already configured for 110v), plugged it in and boom, working perfectly. Now I just need to clean 40 years of industrial grime off of it, fully service it, and then get it plumbed in to replace my old Craftsman direct-drive one that is noisy as all hell.

Belt drive is the only way to go. Nice find, especially for 80 bucks, air tools are the god drat cats rear end.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

Because bloods thicker than water and most of the time blood is tainted with poison.
and well. people are just lovely
Isn't that phrase meant to indicate the lower importance of family bonds over people you choose to associate with, though?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Belt drive is the only way to go. Nice find, especially for 80 bucks, air tools are the god drat cats rear end.

$80 is what he wanted, got it for $65.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

$80 is what he wanted, got it for $65.

Even at 80 that's a steal. But 65 is even better. Have you changed the oil in it?

Buy the HF Earthquake rattle gun. Its worth every penny.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even at 80 that's a steal. But 65 is even better. Have you changed the oil in it?

Buy the HF Earthquake rattle gun. Its worth every penny.

Haven't changed the oil, going to do that this weekend. I also need to make a real power cord for it... probably has nothing to do with the issue, but it pops a 15amp breaker 1 in 3 times that I plug it in. Edit: Looking at the motor, it's rated at 22 full load amps. I'm going to have to find a 20 amp circuit for it and cross my fingers. :cry:

Also found that someone put a band clamp over the regulator, I assumed to keep people from loving with the regulator. I took off the band clamp and the screw for the regulator popped right up. That's probably why it was taken out of service. I put the band clamp on and we'll see if I replace the regulator once I get everything else sorted.

It does need a full service, no air filters and the reed valves look grungy. Once I get it cleaned, I'll get it up to spec.

Oh, and I don't need an air gun, I've been using one of the Jonnythundrs IR monsters that he sold a couple years back. I have an Earthquake, but the IR Titanium-whatever is just crazy strong.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 30, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Send me a PM with details on it. I am a sucker for tools, next on my short list is an air hammer.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I was thinking how awesome a shooting brake version of the 2013 volvo V40 would probably look and found they beat me to it last year.

http://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2014-estate_concept/08.htm

It's probably been talked about on here before it drat if it isn't a nice car.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Both of my parents used my credit when I was a teen without my consent. took loving years to get all that poo poo removed.
No CCs, No debts, if I can't buy cash, I don't loving need it.
yet everybody in the bay wants 700 credit to rent a loving house. :suicide:

Goddamn, that's hosed up. I guess I need to thank my parents they never hosed me over like some of you in here.

Can't help you on the house thing, but a friend just threw an ad on facebook "Room/Art Studio available March 1st in The Trap, a 12 room artist warehouse community in West Oakland. Room is $410/month, including estimated utilities and house fund." I've never been there but The Trap sounds like a lovely name. It's kind of a win/win. If somebody steals the rover then may god have mercy on their soul, if you don't get it stolen may god have mercy on your soul. :haw:

edit: Come to think of it, that guy's pretty well connected in the bay, what area are you looking in?

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 30, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I think it's time for a new bit... :gibs:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

Isn't that phrase meant to indicate the lower importance of family bonds over people you choose to associate with, though?

Yeah, the full phrase iirc is "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, the full phrase iirc is "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb."
Yup, that's the one!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

:woop: I GOT MY COMPLETION CERTIFICATE TODAY :woop:

So, from going to the Tech school program I completed (HVAC/R), I effectively get half of a college degree for attending, on top of my completion certificate there.
I get 24 credits to Industrial Management Technology, and I already have credits from a previous college stint so I have almost over half the credits I need for that degree.

So so how good/terrible of an idea would it be to get another degree after I finish that? I've been toying with the idea of something like Mechanical Engineering. I've got a few friends doing that, it seems like something I'd enjoy and I've heard that hands on experience is a great help in the job hunt department. Plus my dad is an Electrical Engineer, and he's always made engineering sound like a fun field.
I know the market for the field is kinda saturated, but I'd think having my Certificate + the A.S. Degree would help.

VVV It'd be through Financial Aid + Parent's Money VVV

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 31, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Are you paying for it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Blood is thicker than water, but cum is thicker than blood :eng101:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

:woop: I GOT MY COMPLETION CERTIFICATE TODAY :woop:

So, from going to the Tech school program I completed (HVAC/R), I effectively get half of a college degree for attending, on top of my completion certificate there.
I get 24 credits to Industrial Management Technology, and I already have credits from a previous college stint so I have almost over half the credits I need for that degree.

So so how good/terrible of an idea would it be to get another degree after I finish that? I've been toying with the idea of something like Mechanical Engineering. I've got a few friends doing that, it seems like something I'd enjoy and I've heard that hands on experience is a great help in the job hunt department. Plus my dad is an Electrical Engineer, and he's always made engineering sound like a fun field.
I know the market for the field is kinda saturated, but I'd think having my Certificate + the A.S. Degree would help.

VVV It'd be through Financial Aid + Parent's Money VVV

Unless you have a clear an ironclad path to an increase in pay that more than covers it, do not go into debt for education.

I repeat, do not go into debt for education just because.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Pelican parts gave me a full refund on my parts, A+++ would buy again, and since I'm buying an old rear end m-b I probably will be soon

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

some texas redneck posted:

Just changed the oil on the Ion. It was halfway between the add and full marks on the dipstick.

Uh.. that oil filter has seen better days. Wix filter at that. But given the fact it's seen about 8k miles, okay, I can expect it to deform a little bit.

This... this doesn't look good, does it? :ohdear:

That was about 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 high mileage 5W30 with about 8k (capacity is 5 quarts). I've never seen that kind of sheen on oil unless metal poo poo is contacting metal poo poo. :suicide: The engine sounds brand new though, so I'm just going :wtc: at the moment and hoping the high mileage oil washed a bunch of poo poo out of the engine. It's always seen Mobil 1 of some sort since the first time I changed the oil (I've put 42k on the car, it had fresh unknown oil in it when I got it, so I changed it after I'd put 2k on it).

I opened the box the filter was in before purchase, and noticed it actually includes a new O-ring for the filter housing - something even the OEM filter doesn't include. Fram got a really bad reputation for using cardboard endcaps within their canister filters, but this one looks to be on par with the Wix filter I currently have, and better than the OEM filters.

Their lineup seems to be "Extra Guard" (the crap, box claims good for 5k, claims 90% filtration), Tough Guard (what I bought, and the box claims it's good for 10k, claims 99% filtration), Ultra Synthetic (also claims 99%), and "High Mileage", which mentions nothing about filtration efficiency, just claims to include "additives" (if I wanted extra additives, I'd add them myself). Their packaging claims a typical oil filter filters at 80% efficiency - the $3 Purolator filter Walmart sells claims 97%. Except they don't list a Purolator for my engine, but they do list one for the Saturn Ion Red Line (which uses the same AC Delco and Fram filters as my car :confused: ).

Wal-Mart sells AC Delco filters, but the last one I used came apart when I removed it. I used a Wix (Napa Gold) filter during my last oil change. The Blackstone analysis should be interesting on this one.

I'm half tempted to go change the oil right now. It's fairly nice out right now, and the car is parked on the curb. Should take all of 10 minutes, including collecting a sample for Blackstone.

The filter does not look terrible, but you really need to do more than just a quick visual to know if the media was actually compromised because of the the pleats bunching (went wavy, bent, etc). Granted, that is not exactly easy to do in a home garage. In the grand scheme I would not fret too much about that one, but I would have changed it much sooner if the previous filter had come apart and had potentially left a lot of debris in the system. This debris will get caught in the next filter you put in the engine and may even plug it to the point that you spend a much more time with the oil bypass valve open than you really want. That all depends on where the debris is in the engine and how much of it left with the oil when is changed. If your oil still tests good, for the next service you could easily swap out the filter and just top it off to try and try to get the full life out of the oil.

Paper end caps are awesome and do get a bad rap because well, they are paper. You can make a paper end cap which will stand up to a full service interval on a heavy-duty engine, but it will still be looked down on for being a paper composite of some form. The more important thing to consider is that there are a lot of filters which are basically commodities and as such you can expect it to be the bare minimum product they can sell without it being a significant liability to manufacture. Some are better than others, and if the filter is made poorly having a weaker endcap is only going to compound the issue (ie like when you happen to be the unlucky person who gets a defective filter). The last Fram orange can I cut open was actually impressive in its own way for the minimalistic use of materials to piece together a filter which gets above those minimum expectations.

Commodity filters are a bit out of my area, so they may have some standards on reporting, but the efficiency values which they will put on the side of a box tend to come from a standardized test which recirculates fluid and debris though the filter. More debris will be added at a constant rate and you measure how many of what particle sizes go in the filter and what comes out to give you efficiency values. You also measure how much debris is left at the end of the test and how much you added to determine how much debris the filter holds. There are a epic load of issues with these tests, but the bigger focus with what is on the side of the box is that its very easy to give a value which does not fully portray how the filter performs. There are a couple of ways to represent it, but the efficiency value will typically be at a specific micron rating that is cumulative and also a time weighted average. So basically when it says its 90% efficiency at 30 microns, it means that over all the debris over the entire test, it averaged out to catch 90% of everything 30 microns and over. This values does not tell you how long it takes the media to get to an acceptable efficiency value, nor does it tell you were or if it went absolute (frequently meida needs to catch some debris to block off the bigger holes to get to the efficiency you want). If the filter has an decent media in it but periodically bypasses a little fluid, the absolute rating where it should stop every particle greater than that size will not really exist as you will still have the occasional 75 micron particle slip by. Really it is best to read the fine print and see if they actually have a micron rating. Also, I really want to know where they get all the terrible filters from that every company seems to test their products against.

I tried to make the rant short and I really should do an post on oil filters over in the engineering thread, but :effort:.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

torpedan posted:

I tried to make the rant short and I really should do an post on oil filters over in the engineering thread, but :effort:.

Do it. As a man of applied science, you have an obligation to stick a fork in the eye of the BITOG posting elite.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
I guess I can try and minimize the effort:post ratio and just break up the topic into a many different posts. there is a lot of stuff that goes into a filter and I have been pleasantly surprised how complex the working with them has been.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

that's odd because you can share it with 4 other people

I have Student Prime, which can only be used by 1 person.

Anyway, he's giving me the money back, now I get to hassle him about all the NSF fees.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Still, what a poo poo thing to do.

Speaking of which, why on earth do people on Craigslist expect me to deliver a video card an hour (round trip) for a measly 40 bucks? :getout:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ive been in and driven GTR's Porsches, V8's, wild Toyotas with FJ20 turbos, Rotarys etc...... KB's EVO absolutly knocks them out of the park. Dear LORD that thing is fast.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its very easy to accidentally use the wrong payment method on Amazon (it has happened a few times on our company amazon account), but your Step dad is a twat for not making it all good straight away with your charges.

someone in AI said they were making this a few weeks ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g (making a mini aluminium foundry), but I can't remember who or find it with search. Who was it? have you made it yet?

Where can I buy threaded steel gas pipe/thick walled tube in the UK? I want some for this and to make a handrail

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HAHAHA with QLD LNP looking like they are being booted, our Shitlord of a Prime Minister HAS to be in huge trouble and be booted :D

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress PDF forms that aren't PDF forms. Hard. No lube.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

Its very easy to accidentally use the wrong payment method on Amazon (it has happened a few times on our company amazon account), but your Step dad is a twat for not making it all good straight away with your charges.

You're correct on every count. He used the 1 click purchase poo poo. His explanation was he assumed that the payment method was tied to the PC, not the account. :rolleyes: He's not exactly savvy with technology, so I can accept that this time.

I've since changed the 1 click and default payment to a payment method that's no longer valid (one tied to a card that's no longer active), so any 1 click orders mean an instant email saying "yeah, that card doesn't work".

He's been a giant rear end in a top hat for years, but he's at least starting to work with me on repaying the NSF fees. Thankfully my bank seems to have cut it off after 3 purchases, so the damage isn't as bad as I initially thought. And once I notified them what had happened, they've been clearing the other payments (car payment etc) without additional fees. It also means it's wiped out what I owed him (and then some) for a loan he gave me awhile back.

Have a feel-good catte picture. Sound asleep in his bed curled up under a $5 Ikea blanket. If I'm at home, this cat refuses to leave my side, to the point that I've put a second litter box in my bedroom. :3:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

HAHAHA with QLD LNP looking like they are being booted, our Shitlord of a Prime Minister HAS to be in huge trouble and be booted :D

gently caress Yeah!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/

Look at how many seats are being lost by the LNP and going to Labor http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/changing-seats/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 31, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Still, what a poo poo thing to do.

Speaking of which, why on earth do people on Craigslist expect me to deliver a video card an hour (round trip) for a measly 40 bucks? :getout:

I had someone ask me to deliver an external hard drive to Orlando from the other coast of florida for the grand sum of $30. He was rather offended when I said no and couldn't understand why I didn't want to drive it to him. That was pretty much why I gave up on craigslist until recently.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

gently caress Yeah!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/

Look at how many seats are being lost by the LNP and going to Labor http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/changing-seats/

Newman out, QLD LNP almost certainly can not form govt in any way....... Abbott cant last the week because the LNP can not allow a anti Abbott backlash happen in NSW

I mean... how the gently caress did the opposition in QLD, reduced to a party you could fit in a Ford Falcon with room to spare actually win? I know Newman is a hated shithead but Abbott HAS to be the big reason

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Where can I buy threaded steel gas pipe/thick walled tube in the UK? I want some for this and to make a handrail

Threaded:
http://www.pipefittingsdirect.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d15.html

Don't have threaded as I can see, but have handrail stuff:
http://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/tube-clamp

I've never used the first website, but I just ordered a bunch of stuff from the second one for work and it arrived pretty quickly.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BraveUlysses posted:

Why on earth would you sell something that small on Craigslist? Craigslist is a website dedicated to people who do not equate time and labor to money.

e: Oh and thieves and other people with illegal sources of income.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I found and bought a unicorn last night. Pictures up soon. Incidentally, anyone know where the wagon thread went? I can't find it.

• Locked thread