Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Holy gently caress... Land rover is better than quite a few vehicles in the latest initial quality. Though seeing scion down the list is shocking.... Along with Jeep.

Volkswagen made the list. I'm honestly surprised they exceeded the Industry standard.

Even worse, they beat out Dodge and Ford. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

Read the whole thing: VAG as a corporate entity made it solely because they now own Porsche; VW as its own brand is still where they've always consistently been: below industry average.

I shouldn't respond to this, but: You know I have you on ignore because you are generally a pretentious rear end, right?

And I don't care.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've only had one bluetooth device that sucked, but it was a cheap Chinese knock off so I expected that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

A real compressor owns. Bitches.

I've got a Craftsman 25 gallon. Works well enough for me.

Tusen Takk posted:

Lol if you honestly care that your mobile telephone has a quad core processessor and also lol if you're willing to use any android app

Back off the superior product, mang.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 4, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have a Galaxy S4 with one of the super batteries on it. Its got its issues, but its an awesome little device

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We've got an Asus Transformer. Still does awesome 3 years later, still keeps us happy and is fairly fun.

But I have a Surface Pro, and since its a full laptop, I tend to use it more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:ohdear: Beat that loving cancer. Beat it up and throw it to the curb!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

About 30 minutes ago.

("Lake Osborn")

Fuk is right. Fuking copper thieves.

What the hell was that before being chopped?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Neighbors bought a Freelander a few weeks ago.

Its already in the driveway with the hood up.

Burn it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I get the feeling I am unwelcome in the VW/Audi question thread. Everytime I post a question, it never gets answered.

.....am I a pariah? :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry, you need a special posting tool to analyze that thread.

Here's an 80, I know it's not a 90 but it might give you some clues as to their design theories at the time. I bet it's pretty common between the two of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiA-qvYFtec

That is basically how it ended up working out, but the lower trim piece on the Audi 90 is a single piece that runs the length of the front of the car, versus what is shown there.

But yeah, four screws and out it came.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just flashed back to the time when I had a ~1Ghz Tualatin-core Celeron, in a 370-370 socket adapter, in a 370-slot1 adapter, in an Abit BH6. Gotta love the 440BX.

I miss Socket 7 and Slot A / Slot 1

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

You guys suck, socket 4 and 8 were the bees knees. :smug:

Pentium Pro Bug :smuggo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

On the other hand, I have a Quad Pentium II Socket 8 Server. Still works, runs an exchange.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 13, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The funny thing is, that's like $200 right there.

In gold. Sell those chips to some cyanide-covered goldbug on ebay and buy something with ten times the processing power.

I keep it for nostalgia purposes. I've got a bunch of old machines: Alphas, SGI Onyx, HP 9000, etc.

And the Pentium Pro system has four of the Pentium II Overdrives in it, so its kinda special.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

How bad is your power bill? I ditched all my *running* old gear several years back and moved to a single ESXi host. Our power bill dropped $40/month. (Mind you it was like 10 first gen Dual pIII/p4 Xeon when no one cared about energy savings.) It still flames up when I fire up my Cisco lab, but no worse then when I'm using my 250 amp MIG welder. I really should finish my Cisco CCNA.

My power bill is pretty big, but my current running systems are mostly considered 'Company Expenses' as they count towards staying current.

Currently, I'm running:

Dell PowerEdge R905
- 4 x Quad Core AMD Opteron
- 128GB ECC DDR2

Dell PowerEdge R815
- 4 x 12 Core AMD Opteron
- 96GB ECC DDR3
- 16TB iSCSI SAS Array

And a couple other odd ball servers for testing apps and running VMs for friends to virtual off of. The servers mirror our work servers as a ghetto off site backup to supplement our colo, and let me do testing for roll outs without knocking out the main system.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 13, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Ahh. I've got a 2u Dual 6 core X5670, 192GB ECC DDR3, with 12x 512gb SSD's and a 4u (24) 1.5TB 7200rpm SAS array setup in one of our racks at work for that. It's running a combo of vmware/xen/solaris ATM. I actually was planning on removing it this last week, but I don't really have a use for it at home. Plus, work pays for the power/1Gb fiber line.

:stare: I wish. Nice setup.

I'm running Xen for Hypervisor and a mix of Linux and Windows server flavors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Depends on what its built on, but generally a megashitload.

AI Cross Country Tour!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Here's the cluster I designed and deployed Q4 2014. The only picture I have is from my friends facebook wall, where he made me pose. Haha. Excuse the super geek. What's worse is the CIO blasted this around to the board of directors (at the company we installed this at.) Anyways, part of my job is building HPC environments. This deployment was 480 cores, 5TB DDR3 1600, connected via 40Gb Infiniband to three giant NAS providing 1.8PB combined SSD and Spindle storage. Sadly it's running... Windows... because of a massive gently caress up/failure on behalf of management. It's a long, frustrating story. But they are software locked for now. This thing running Cent OS 6.5 literally destroyed it's current Windows bloated self. /rant

Beautiful. I wish I was still doing HPC work as well, but I got picked up by a small manufacturer as a Sys Admin. Its a comfortable job and lets be enjoy my hobbies while attending school.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 14, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

They were calling 4160V "Medium Voltage" in the meeting today :psypop:

Versus 'Well Done' Voltage :smug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

pshhhhhh. All your silly little clean, light, new TIG welders.

Here's the same one I have, but much cleaner and less beat :v:

Pretty sure mine was made sometime in the 60s or 70s. Upwards of 300lbs easily.

I need a welder so bad :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I hear that. I looked into the local community college's offerings for welding and whatnot and you have to hit their whole loving program to get to the welding classes. Metallurgy 101 and the like. I'm sure that would be helpful and endlessly educational, but I really just want to find a welding class. My dad was a professional welder for years and he doesn't even own one.

Yeah, I'd love to just take some basic classes on welding techniques. I've welded before, but I am by no means 'skilled' at it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

#beardpride

:colbert: I have to shave because I'm Air National Guard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Air Guard is like ROTC. You don't go telling people you're in the Air Guard.

(I'm Army Guard, same poo poo different filth)

But I got the license plate and everything :qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

That's loving disgusting and predatory and I hate this dumb world.

Capitalism, and the Free Market sadists that want to enable them :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm hoping to be debt free by the end of the year and my bank balance hit 5 figures (barely) for the first time since 2012. I'm going to have to live lean to pull that off but I'll be damned if I don't kick the poo poo out of this.

... I had $1.57 left in my account, an empty tank, and literally everything was overdue by 2-8 months the day I got my first paycheck in 2013.

This past year was the first time I've hit 5 figures and held it there....ever. I cannot describe the liberating feeling that savings has actually given me despite what I've thought in the past.
Hopefully we'll start putting more away, hope to have at least a 6 month emergency savings if nothing else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And part of the mess we are in is the fact that people just don't understand money, how it works, etc. Being debt free is good, but its ok to be in debt as long as you can manage your current debt load, and most people can't manage that. I still don't understand why schools can't have a basic fiance course before you graduate why its ok to use credit cards, but with in reason, and be able to pay the balance off with in a couple of months, etc. Or how to properly calculate a monthly budget with excess reserves, and so on.

Mainly because a lot of these schools are wholly dependent upon you graduating and applying for unfair college loans. Profit oriented Education will destroy our country in the long run.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Especially when you can go somewhere else and get it for free. Add profit oriented education in with a hatred for math/science and you get land of the idiots.

Because the vast majority of college age students are going to school to get a job to make money. We've made a mockery of education by overemphasizing the possibility of increased income over the things you can DO with the education.

So Math, Science, and even in many cases Engineering gets the short end of the stick because they are not high earners generally. Not to mention schools dumping funding out of R&D and into College Sports programs and the emphasis of partying at college and you get American Education.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

When I worked as a tech people would generally go "oh" when they found out what I did, like I was cookin' up meth in a trailerpark hanging chevy 305s from the tounge of my trailerhouse.

I get this a lot too, there is some weird emphasis that being able to fix things and being handy is 'bad' in some way.

Had a coworker who was awestruck that I even knew how to FIX a car, let alone that I was capable of building one. When I said I fix them, she asked "Why don't you just take it to a mechanic"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
loving Windows Server 2012. Theres a bug that causes LanManServer service to hard lock, killing all SMB connections which requires a hard restart of the server as it won't shutdown until LanManServer Service responds....and it won't respond.

I hope they fixed it in 2012 R2, because its that or we move our Domain File Server onto a Linux box like I wanted to do originally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Just reinstall 2003 SMB. Then demote it to BDC. :getin:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...smb-connections

gently caress, I'm ready to just roll a *nix SMB server and kill this thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Mine would cause it to uninstall virtually all add-ons (like SQL server, Exchange, uh.. core services), and render an unbootable platform. Ask me how I know (I didn't do it myself- but had to clean up after it)).

I love the second poster in that TechNet thread:

"Its a network issue, obviously. I'm going to chastise you for not looking at the basics because I didn't read the actual problem" :rolleyes:

No it isn't you pedantic little rear end, because all other network services (iSCSI, SMTP, TCP/IP) remain responsive and other than SMB connectivity is not inhibited.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

I'm not a Windows guy. I'm not even supposed to be here today.

I'm an ex-UNIX sys admin, Windows pays the bills.

But that wasn't directed at you, it was commenting on the guy in the thread ;)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's pretty loving easy, just do it. I had SMB rolled out on a Slackware box and mounted on my Win 7 desktop within 30 minutes despite being rusty at Slackware and new to SMB on both Linux & Windows.

Do they have Domain support? I mean, if I recall Slack does, but I can't remember.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Sure.

Just sudo gzip -dc file.tar.gz | tar xvpf - -C /

Same as it was in 1994.

Awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Eat dicks. Solaris 2.6 5/98 (and FreeBSD 3.5) will return again! Multiplatform compatibility without relying on uname (which NeXTStep didn't have), bitches.

You use the v flag. Admit it.

When can I have OS/2 back and OpenVMS! :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Why on earth do you want Windows NT 3.1?

...what? Its a DEC/HP system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

I am a windows server guy (not deliberately it just happened!) and server 2012 standard is a bag of poo poo compared to 2012 R2. I bet it is fixed in R2.

Any server 2012 standard servers should be reinstalled immediately (and you should remind yourself that early adopters of any new Microsoft OS never ever win..)

Its still a current bug in 2012 R2

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Look into FHA loans.

Our VA Home Loan fell through with the first bank we tried, and we were about to spring for an FHA home loan before the second bank we pinged indicated they were willing to work with us on our VA Home Loan. FHA Home Loans are pretty easy IMHO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
drat it Audi 90, quit tempting me to put the 3Bs turbo on you. I like you stock...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I think the bearings on either my AC, PS or alt took a poo poo. She's normally squeaky after it rains but it's been a week and all its done is get louder. /sigh.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the AC compressor on my Audi 90 has bad bearings, its making some noise and scared me because I thought it was the engine.

I'll isolate it today or tomorrow and see if the noise stops, thankfully RockAuto has the AC compressors cheap.

some texas redneck posted:

My minimum car payment is $215, but I try to throw at least $250-300 at it most months.

My cable/tv/phone bill are a little above $200. That's for 50mbit (both up and down), a shitton of channels, but goddamnit one person in the house refuses to learn how to use Windows Media Center. And hates the idea of "oh poo poo, we're pulling new wiring in the house".. and can't resist clicking any link that says "free". I've spent a couple of nights in a hotel just for suggesting "we should pull actual ethernet cable".

We've had our connection shut off twice in the past year due to botnets on his laptop. I've gone into the router and basically limited his laptop to HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, and SMTP ports, and last time I fixed it, I told him it was the last time I'd ever touch his computer. Any time he starts shouting, we have a sudden ISP outage. :iiam: He used to take away my PC (which had one of the most popular BBS's in the city on it) when I pissed him off when I was 16, so turnabout is fair play, right? :shepicide:

Protip: if it says "free", DON'T loving CLICK ON IT YOU loving IDIOT.

:ohdear: I pay $40 a month for 60 down / 5 up cable internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, I fear its my compressor too. Google says its about $240 so I guess that isn't horrible.

:(

Used to be you couldn't find a reman compressor under $500, I'm actually surprised I found one for almost half that.

• Locked thread