Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Mmm fresh new year smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finally over my mystery sickness aside from some nasty wet coughing. Doctor called it "other" virus. I also have a bunch of phenergans now.

Cabinets get a bunch of work done tomorrow. We're painting them red with dark grey backing and beige countertops. It's gonna look mean in a manly, "what's color matching" sorta way. Should have them up and stable (sans drawers or doors) by the 10th when the big party you're all invited to happens.

Ready to go back to work and kick some rear end and make some money.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hotcanadianchick I can't say this in that garbage thread because it got gassed so I'm saying it here:

6000 SUX
:cawg:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone in or near Richmond, VA should come out to my garage party on Saturday. iForge and Terrible Robot will be there, with a bunch of other AI maybes. Also like 30 local friends and 10 or 15 EvE goons.

PM me for details. Also goony goon goon etc etc.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone in or near Richmond, VA should come out to my garage party on Saturday. iForge and Terrible Robot will be there, with a bunch of other AI maybes. Also like 30 local friends and 10 or 15 EvE goons.

PM me for details. Also goony goon goon etc etc.

We now have someone coming from Trondheim, Norway.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

It's a goonmeet - there won't be females. The other two, though, are required.

I'll have you know sir that it is only 1/2 goonmeet, which means 1/4 of the guests will be female!
:goonsay:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just started House of Cards, pretty decent show.

Oh god I just remembered season three is a mere month and a half away. Be still my beating heart.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

After being sick for 3/4 of my vacation, and doing almost nothing with it, I was ready to get back to work.

Over the course of yesterday and today, I've had exactly 2 hours of work to do. I'm going insane just sitting here at my desk. We're normally hugely busy and going at it for 50 or 60 hours per week.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

iForge posted:

Sorry guys....

It didn't even have any vises or anvils on it...

EDIT: also laughing my rear end off at

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 7, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just found out that through a rule change or a misinterpretation of the rubric for my Master's program, I will need another 2 years of part-time classes at the current rate I'm going.

fuck2015.gif.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Just found out that through a rule change or a misinterpretation of the rubric for my Master's program, I will need another 2 years of part-time classes at the current rate I'm going.

fuck2015.gif.

Aaaand I just got glowing recommendations for a huge opportunity at work, from both my manager and the CEO.

I'mConfused2015.gif

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Been rollin deep with goons the whole weekend and drinking a lot. Y'all are some fun fuckers.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I touched a Hellaflush and I liked it :gay:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Korwen posted:

Wheel bearings on my new-to-me S2k have poo poo the bed, which is pretty understandable as the car has 124k and they're probably the original ones. I've ordered new bearings, but not new rear hubs. I see a lot of people suggest I put new hubs in with the bearings, but they're $112 a piece. I've gotta buy that drat HF hydraulic press everyone has too. Oh well, I have never done bearings before. Should be interesting.

Machine shop will probably do them for $20 per hub. That or find a legit mechanic friend to do them at work for you. Pressing bearings is up there on the "gently caress it" scale

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Work starts today on a crazy opportunity my company set me up with, that I heard about for the first time on Wednesday. It's the area of work I want to get into, and to say this is a foot in the door is an understatement. 4 or 5 month contract and I'm making decisions that impact tens of millions of dollars for a power supplier. I'm going back and forth between equal parts ready to throw up from excitement and ready to throw up from worry. Holy gently caress. 2015 I love you.

Also you guys would be super surprised how much stoichiometry a fuel-oil fired power plant has in common with a car.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 13, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They were calling 4160V "Medium Voltage" in the meeting today :psypop:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

a 3/2 with a two car garage on a half acre for $50k

Where do you live? Montana?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fucknag posted:

did u no

that you cna... shave only hte neck? if you want

and still beard

What the gently caress is this poo poo

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Fucknag posted:

It's called unironic shitposting, son. get on board.

E; real answer it's dumb seeing guys say they won't grow a beard because they have a lot of neck hair. that's literally what beard trimmers are for.

but i only grow a beard because i hate my loving face so i want to hide it as much as possible.

Do me a quick favor and delete the 9 on your forumid.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

No no no 2015 is supposed to be good you guys :smith:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

You could have had a house 6 months after declaring, easily; the banks all know you can't declare for another 7 years, and throw out all kinds of insane offers (with above average APRs though) - they know they can easily repo if you miss a single payment. Mom's been getting nonstop letters in the mail about "special post-bankruptcy financing" from every dealer, ranging from KIa to Lexus.

That's loving disgusting and predatory and I hate this dumb world.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BFC crosspostin' - that's ridiculous and you need to squash it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

88h88 posted:

I understand the car payment but to spend that same amount again on internet and cable tv is loving crazy to me... If I were to get the fastest internet available to me along with the largest TV package with DVR functionality and free international calls from Sky it'd be £118 a month.

To be fair the cable/internet providers here in the US are horrible and have monopolistic practices without the Utility restrictions Power companies have. It's a mess and they're constantly the most despised companies on consumer satisfaction.

That being said, I cut cable out and get 70/70 internet for $56/mo with Netflix adding another $12/mo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sorry rscott that sucks man :ohdear:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

If you want an automatic convertible with a shot interior I conveniently have one I want out of my loving life now now now now now

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What are you, some sort of faux 1%er? Get your expensive cars out of here.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey guys I was just working on my car and not talking about my mutilated penis what about y'all

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

If I get to be an American and work on Jeeps instead of Land Rovers then gently caress it cut the tip of my dick off

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh god House of Cards in a little over a month I'm gonna be so drat unproductive end of February

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

quote:

Japanese Classics is a licensed automotive dealership and importer based in Richmond, VA.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD IM GONNA BE POOR NOW

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I'm going to look at a duplex to buy for an investment property. :fingerscrossed:

Let me know how this turns out and if you like it once you get into it. I want to eventually do something similar.

Are you on BiggerPockets? They've got a great podcast.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just spent the first weekend in a while without drinking or going out, and it's been pretty great. Usually my mornings are not fun but this morning I felt awesome.

Yay moderation booze-crew :3:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So the stoichiometry of oil- and coal-fueled power plants has a surprising amount in common with cars, and a very surprising amount different.

Anyone else think power plant boilers are cool, or have I found yet another really boring thing to sperg out on?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I prefer my power come from nuclear heated boilers :colbert:

I totally do too, and you'd really like what I'm doing for this company. Look up Boiler Mercury Air Toxicity Standards (or just MATs) and that's what I'm standardizing across ~15 boilers with a steam output capable of fueling between 200 and 800 MegaWatts each.

Siochain posted:

I'm a huge nerd (albeit more on the "ooh big shiny" then the math of it) for any industrial-sized...anything, really. I used to love the boiler room in school as a kid, and I love getting tours of any kind of power-generating facility. So nerd out (and convert it to english for us math-poor folks) :P

Seriously, I can't get calculus. I'm a terrible nerd.

cursedshitbox posted:

Go for it diabetic.

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm a gigantic nerd, and love learning about industrial stuff. Also my job has a half dozen or so steam boilers, so it'd be cool to learn a little more about them.

Right now I'm using data from the PLC output to plot different emissions as they pertain to mass of oil injection, coal feed, and limestone feed. Also other random poo poo like gross MW and mass steam flow to the turbine. Using this data we're standardizing boiler startup as best we can so we can meet the EPA's restrictions on air emissions (A Good Thing TM)

It's a really neat process. You use oil as starter fluid for the boiler, because the bed temp has to get up to a certain point before large amounts of coal can "roll" :haw: Oil has a shitload of sulfur dioxide byproduct and we're trying to lessen that by making up new ways to heat the boiler bed faster so we can switch over to coal sooner.

Limestone apparently does wonders for emissions and I have no clue why, but they use a bunch of it (~10% of the coal feed) and you can just watch the sulfur, NOx, and CO emissions plummet when we feed limestone. We found out yesterday, however, that Limestone will jack SO2 emissions through the roof if we feed it in before the bed is up to temperature, hence the search for faster bed heating methods.

The basic air/fuel ratio is there just like in cars, but it's hard as poo poo to get right and varies wildly with solid fuels. We take for granted the ease of which octane (and other liquid fuels) burn steadily. They have a bunch of different methods of pulverizing or superheating coal to take that variability in stoichiometry in their favor, but it's still hard as poo poo.

This also has the added problem of "fuel timing". Where in a car you use the throttle as air input and fuel "follows" through base-mapping or PID control (closed-loop via the O2 sensor), both the air and solid fuel have to be on PID control in a coal boiler. Temperature is super critical and there's a huge process to get it up to around 1800 degrees F and keep it stoich the entire time.

And that's just the freaking tip of the iceburg. There's so much auxiliary equipment that's been added to the intake and exhaust on both the air and feedwater (think "turbocharging" on both sides of both systems, and then think intercooling/interheating as well) to make the thing more efficient and it's all as exciting as learning about how turbos work for the first time.

Oh also :coal:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 30, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yes, but have you tried MD 20/20 Blue Raspberry Bling Bling Edition? You get a plastic gold chain with your nasty gross loving awful bumwine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well at least you get to name it Rodriguez.

• Locked thread