Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If I think he is waiting to move right because there is still traffic in that lane that he can't judge the distance of very well, I'll leave him be, and usually get passed by several cars on the right before the truck can move over. However, if they're just tooling along in the left lane with nothing around, and have been for some time? Absolutely hammer down and undertake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've heard that attitude really plays a big role in fighting cancer, and based on your posts you're doing a good job at keeping your spirits up. It's inspiring, really. Best of luck, man.

Also gently caress cancer, gently caress it bad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

Death is certain.

Hell yeah, work sucks

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sprinkler system froze up and burst a pipe in one of the buildings at work. I was in the mechanical room that it burst in less than 5 minutes before it happened, so I just barely missed getting an unexpected freezing cold shower. Hooray for the little things.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the next markdown on this poo poo. When it's $5 a bottle I will buy it all

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck don't remind me, I never bought a bottle this year and I've been really missing it. Might have to make a stop by the ABC store today...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Achewood is basically an unbroken stream of being right about everything.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

88h88 posted:

I think it's to stop the people that manage to poo poo on the back of the toilet seat. Those fuckers that don't know where their arseholes are located.

As a former toilet-scrubber it is my most sincere wish that those people drown in their own excrement.

I've seen...things

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

They bend to tie their shoes while they let their taco bell greaseshit loose.

Ask me about the time I had to wipe liquefied poo poo off the toilet paper dispenser, which sits at least a foot and a half above the top of the bowl and two feet to the left of the toilet.

HOW

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

They were calling 4160V "Medium Voltage" in the meeting today :psypop:

If you haven't already, check out Three-Phase' thread in Ask/Tell. It's a massive sperg dumping ground for all things related to industrial power generation and poo poo, really interesting.

He kind of has a big hang-up about arc-flash accidents and usually goes off about them every couple of pages, but I guess in his line of work that's understandable.

e; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435068

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 14, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

When I worked as a tech people would generally go "oh" when they found out what I did, like I was cookin' up meth in a trailerpark hanging chevy 305s from the tounge of my trailerhouse.

Oh god, yeah, telling someone (well, certain types of someone) you are a mechanic is basically the same thing as telling someone you are an active Klan member. :smith: I just want to fix cars and not be poo poo on for it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I pay $95 a month for what is supposed to be a 2.5 up/1 down connection, and I think I've actually seen that speed exactly once. Usually my service is so lovely I can't even stream Netflix, and even Pandora will lag sometimes. I loving hate it and it's the only ISP in the area; gently caress Centurylink so much.

If I lived 5 miles in any other direction I could get FIOS for the same price :sigh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rscott posted:

welp I wrecked the E30, got tboned in the driver door by a focus going ~40

totally my fault, somehow i escaped with just a cut to my right hand but i pretty much want to kill myself right now

gently caress dude, glad you're ok.

RIP E30

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Been fighting with my ISP over my shittastic speeds, they said it looked like my connection had a bad splice and sent a tech out. I'm at work so he dealt with my mom who knows nothing at all about computers. He convinced her that it was a "range problem" with the wireless and left a fancier router. Never checked the wiring, even though I told them the speed problem exists on the hardwired machines too.

gently caress I hate lovely lazy people that do anything possible to weasel out of doing their loving job. Now I have to all my ISP up again and bitch them out until they send a competent tech.

E: sorry to hear about your friend, Holdbrooks :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

That sounds a whole like what the ISP I used to work for would do. Frontier?

Centurylink, so about the same level of poo poo.

To make it even better, the tech didn't even bother to set up the new router, and when I got home and tried to it wouldn't connect. Swap back in the old router and it picks up no problem.

I think my connection is so lovely (upload speeds of .04mbit are pretty normal) that the new router was just like "lol nope, I can't talk to that". Proving that there IS loving wiring issue somewhere and that that lazy rear end in a top hat tech they sent out should be fired out of a cannon straight into the Sun.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

What model modem do you have? I may be able to dig up a diagnostic login for it, and I can tell you a whole lot about what's going on just from the SnR + upstream/downstream power levels. At the least, I'd suggest using the shortest phone cord you can find and plugging it into the outlet closest to the DMARC (where the outside wiring enters the home).

Upload of 0.04mbi just screams line quality issues; I'm betting you have massive packet loss too. The issue now is just figuring out if it's inside wiring or outside. The telco is responsible for everything up to (and including) the DMARC; if your DMARC is new enough that it has actual phone jacks on it, you might try taking the modem outside and hooking it up outside, and seeing if speeds improve (also while looking at SnR and upstream/downstream power levels). If they do, purchase the interior wiring protection for a month (it's usually under $10/month) and get it fixed, then drop the protection.

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my nomenclature, the router is actually a modem/router combo unit. They both (old and new) look vaguely like rebranded netgear stuff. I'll PM you with more info when I get home this evening.

Half of all the diagnostic stuff you asked about went straight over my head, networking is not my strong suit. I do know that my uncle, who lived here before us, was the one that did the wiring inside the house, and knowing him and how he does things (cut as many corners as possible) I'm guessing the wiring issue is inside.

I need to make a trip to radioshack anyway...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If the people that work security at my job get any dumber they're gonna have to give them all helmets, gently caress. I'm sitting in one of the work vehicles looking over some paperwork when I notice the security truck rolling past, but at like 2mph, and the guy is staring me down the whole time. Once he gets past I get out and get my tools and head towards a dorm, then see him walking back towards me, asking if I'm allowed to be here or work here at all.

No dude, I'm just wearing a shirt that says "XXXXX College Physical Plant" and carrying around this sack of tools for my health. :rolleyes: The vehicle I'm driving even used to be the Security department's truck.

Idiot.

Oh, and I got a "raise" and now make $6.60 more every pay period. I should buy a boat :v:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 23, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD IM GONNA BE POOR NOW

Fuuuuuck, it's a good thing I'm already poor, I had no idea an importer was that close. It'll be a few years before the cars I really want are legal anyway...

In other news, I deleted Yik-Yak off my phone because it was only a daily reminder of how stupid, petty and closed minded people are. Bring on the nukes/meteor/zombies.

Cat Terrist, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

fjelltorsk posted:

Just got anwers to a test bank we did regarding metasizing in my organs....

i wrote a longer reply but the TL:DR is...im scared and angry.

:sympathy:

gently caress cancer

I really wish I had something more eloquent to say, but I'm poo poo with words.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

It took me several seconds to realize that I wasn't looking at a Subaru Forester (christ, even the upholstery looks similar).

Your grandparents sound awesome as hell :3:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 27, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Got CenturyLink to send a tech that wasn't a lazy piece of poo poo out to look at my wiring, and what do you know, there was a problem after all! I'm irritated that it took almost 6 months to get this problem fixed, but whatever. Used to get download speeds of 1.2Mbit if I was lucky (and uploads of .04Mbit :stonklol: ). Now I can pull down nearly 8Mbit and my upload, while still not stellar, is orders of magnitude better than before (.83Mbit).

The tech confirmed what I had always suspected though: my neighbors and I all share one line, and the tech said usually each house would have their own dedicated line but CenturyLink was feeling lazy. So none of us are getting the speeds that we are paying out the nose for. gently caress CenturyLink so much.

fjelltorsk posted:

I will not go quietly into the night

Keep on fighting the good fight.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

They reset your BIOS, that's a Power On Self Test.

New favorite description of morning-wood, right there. :haw:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

The current topic of discussion is rusty RHD C10s, it seems.

:mrgw:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm getting $1 back on my tax return. Everyone else I work with is getting $1200 or more.

I hate everything.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 29, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

Not getting anything back but also not owing anything is the optimal result. Owing is obviously bad but a big return means you essentially loaned the government money interest free.

I know, but when you live paycheck to paycheck a big tax return is kind of nice. I have a bunch of maintenance I need to catch up on on my DD and I was really counting on a decent tax return in order to do that. Plus now I get to listen to all my coworkers talk about what they are going to do with their big returns.

Oh well, at least I didn't owe anything I guess.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

So the stoichiometry of oil- and coal-fueled power plants has a surprising amount in common with cars, and a very surprising amount different.

Anyone else think power plant boilers are cool, or have I found yet another really boring thing to sperg out on?

I'm a gigantic nerd, and love learning about industrial stuff. Also my job has a half dozen or so steam boilers, so it'd be cool to learn a little more about them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
One of my friends owned two CB7 Accords in high school, a manual sedan and an auto coupe, and they were both great cars. I prefer the previous gen (sucker for flip-ups) but the CB7 is a fantastic car. Always wanted a wagon one myself, because wagons are the best.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw a mint Accord wagon of that generation when I was in Victoria; it's amazing how seeing minty daily drivers makes me happier than a well restored sports car.

Same.

There's a house near my job that had a flawless condition '93 Accord in that pretty plum purple they came in. No rust, interior looked brand new. It made me smile whenever I saw it. Then one day it was gone and in its place was a boring rear end CPO '12 Civic :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

They had an SE-i for 89 (also 85) - it was an LX-i with a Bose stereo and leather.

My best friend had an SEi with a stick, that's what got me into liking the old flip-up Accords to begin with. The SEi also got bronze tint windows from the factory and some special paint codes, as well as special wheels. They were really nice cars, I'd love to find another SEi to DD one day, but the leather has disintegrated in all of them and the bronze windows are impossible to replace if they are broken. :(

GTA 4 has the Accord SEi (the Hakumai), and they really did a good job getting the details right. Someone on the car design team must have owned one and really loved it. I always keep one in a garage somewhere to cruise around in :unsmith:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 1, 2015

• Locked thread