Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

wooh nine hours into the new year and its already in the shitter....who is going to make the gently caress 2015 Gif

If we get a fuck2015.gif, this thread will turn into "find reasons to post the gif" like the last one.

Everyone's got problems but collectively wallowing in it for another month won't be healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

your right. I hadn't had my coffee and was extra butthurt but as the day progresses and the coffee and :420: kick in things aren't as bad. I do have a puppy with stubby legs and brindle coloring.

post pics of dogge, start 2015 right

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goddamn right-rear knockoff wheel won't come off... I pounded the poo poo out of that knockoff wrench but it wasn't budging.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

Sometimes a bigger hammer gets you into bigger trouble :v:

Pham, you know the knockoffs are lefthand on one side of the car and righthand on the other, right? I don't remember which side is which though, so maybe that is irrelevant on that particular wheel.

E: Tirechat: I have Costco tires on my daily and my truck. Dunno what their performance offerings are, if any.

Yeah, I'm turning according to the "UNDO" lettering on the wheel hub. It worked for the front but not the back. Maybe I'll try a cheater bar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Of course STR has gay stamps :v:

I haven't seen those yet, are they special-order or what?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just emailed my congressman complaining about overly-bright headlights; I guess I'm officially an old man now :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

So, my bluetooth OBDII adapter from Amazon with a REAL ELM 327 (a pretty drat convincing silkscreen on the chip) worked perfectly, but the software CD was literally cracked. I contacted the seller, and let them know the CD was broken, and I was using it with Torque, but wouldn't mind the supporting software.

After 2 exchanges regarding my purchase information, I was sent a link to a :filez: dump. Did they misinterpret the CD being cracked? Oh, Amazon your sellers so crazy! :allears:

You don't want to put random Chinese manufacturer CDs into your computer anyway. We've definitely found nasty poo poo on driver CDs in the past, just sticking it in a Linux box and snooping around.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress, I'm ready to just roll a *nix SMB server and kill this thing.

It's pretty loving easy, just do it. I had SMB rolled out on a Slackware box and mounted on my Win 7 desktop within 30 minutes despite being rusty at Slackware and new to SMB on both Linux & Windows.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went to Lowes yesterday to buy a piece of pipe for a cheater-bar, it's like 20 loving dollars for a 3-foot length of galvanized pipe, what the christ.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the spyder posted:

Why not use black pipe? It's cheaper (not by much).

Also, scrapyard. I got 10 5ft long 1.5" pipes for $45.

I only saw galvanized. There's no scrapyard in town but my neighbor just finished redoing all their plumbing, I'll ask if he has any scraps left.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I only saw galvanized. There's no scrapyard in town but my neighbor just finished redoing all their plumbing, I'll ask if he has any scraps left.

I found a metal shop nearby and asked to rummage through their scrap bin. $5 got me two nice chunks of pipe... Not as cheap as I'd have liked, but not bad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Junkyard junkies, if you spot a 1970-1974 MG Midget with an intact grille or a decent center console, please snag that for me...

rscott posted:

yep, i was gonna install basically a whole new ignition system on it tomorrow and i stopped at the grocery store to buy poo poo to wash it with and it gave its life leaving me more or less unscathed

Glad you came out of it ok, drat shame about the car though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OK go to an Asian grocery store (or Amazon) and buy a Vietnamese coffee filter thing. It's a little metal contraption that makes coffee one cup at a time and it's very easy to use.

Also buy some chicory coffee to use in it.

I just tried it and it was amazing with a little splash of milk; I don't usually like coffee at all. I can't wait to try it with some sweetened condensed milk in the appropriate Vietnamese fashion.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rscott posted:

now my grandma is telling me about when she crashed her 70 buick skylark with a 442 in it driving home from the bar and telling me not to feel too bad about it

Your grandma owns, buy her an account.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

My wife drives an auto just by necessity (she is 4'9" so most manuals are a little too difficult for her to drive due to her size), but she loves driving manual and wishes she had a car that allowed her to fit properly.

Hi!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Not car-related but USENET was a cool and good thing that deserved better than to lose out to lovely PHP forum sites. :colbert:

I am aware of the irony of where I'm posting this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-pan-seared-steak-stove-top-to-oven-method-354979

TLDR: Use a ribeye, treat it with respect (no stabbing, just tongs) and it comes out nice and juicy but with a delicious crust.

I use a similar method I read about on the goons with spoons wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Steak,_cooked_the_CORRECT_way!

Pretty much identical, except you sear it 45 seconds to a minute on each side, then put it in the oven for just 2-3 minutes on each side.

It never feels like enough cooking but if I'm patient and actually let it rest, it's perfect.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I said I cant watch tv while welding. :v:

You need a fancier helmet, man.

poo poo, I just wrote that out meaning "you should get a visor that auto-dims" but I just realized that since auto-darkening helmets probably already use LCDs, it wouldn't take much to play TV in your helmet when you're not welding.

It's like hiding a comic book inside your textbook, it's brilliant.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

I have the flu! Who wants sommmmmmeeeee

Excellent post immediately after PM'ing me a USPS tracking number...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

some things are fireproof, but there are one or two items in that box that arent...and shouldn't be torched.

E: if I knew it was the flu, I wouldnt have sent the boxes. :(

The box says "England's finest inside" in the picture so I'm assuming it may just catch on fire by itself.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What would be the best way to get a non-operational car home from 120 miles away?

I'm trying to convince my co-worker to buy a $500 1963 Ranchero

Edit: by best, I mean cheapest

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

Or for even cheaper use a car dolly from Uhaul.

I don't think the tires are good enough for a dolly, but with a tow hitch and the U-Haul auto trailer, my Crown Vic could do it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone near Oakland looking for a job? There's a new pizza shop in Oakland that needs drivers with clean driving records (and in-store staff too). I know one of the owners, good guy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

Will they let bikes deliver? Because gently caress yiss moving there(ish) in two weeks.

Yes, motorcycles should be fine... I'll PM you with details.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got a thing for midgets...

Straps... bush... shackles... retainers... mmmm... they got what I want, they got what I NEED

Jam a rusty SU carburetor damper into my urethra...

They're shaped like that for a reason

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 25, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think I'll be watching this tonight:

http://definitivehobbitcut.tumblr.com/

3 hour Hobbit re-edit

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Midget parts should be here by Friday, get to wrestle in the new windscreen :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

People who live in the Southeast US, how bad have roaches been for you? I loving hate them and have been lucky to never see them while living in WA and CA... But if we go to AL, it's a possibility. And my wife is even less bug-tolerant than I.

Living in Maui for a summer was awesome... except for the 3" roaches that occasionally wandered in :v:

• Locked thread