Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Because Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I did almost exactly nothing for three weeks. :feelsgood:

And now I'm back in the office, to continue doing basically nothing. :shepicide:

I'm hoping the company who's interested in giving me pretty much my dream job get's their act together. Until then, it's time to buff up the old resume and see what else is out there.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My workday has turned into:
10am: Arrive and make tea/coffee.
10:30-12pm: Email, FB/Reddit/SA/Geek stuff
12-2pm: Lunch
2-4pm: Youtube
4-6pm: Counterstrike with coworkers on "unofficial company server".
Or
4pm: Go home.

Uggggg. I need motivation to get some certs/do something other then add/remove (more likely remove) accounts and fix basic BS.

Easy paychecks are actually a terrible thing, when you and your coworkers don't care anymore.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
They canned our CTO today. Holy crap! I never thought I would be there long enough for them to finally push him out. For reference, he's the one who was drinking@ dinner after a conference and assaulted his underling. Now if the CEO would step down, this place might last longer then 6-9 months.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

You should take on welding sometime.
You learn to not grab the hot end loving quick. :D

I still burn the poo poo out of myself TIG welding. God drat. I never learn.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I keep it for nostalgia purposes. I've got a bunch of old machines: Alphas, SGI Onyx, HP 9000, etc.

And the Pentium Pro system has four of the Pentium II Overdrives in it, so its kinda special.

How bad is your power bill? I ditched all my *running* old gear several years back and moved to a single ESXi host. Our power bill dropped $40/month. (Mind you it was like 10 first gen Dual pIII/p4 Xeon when no one cared about energy savings.) It still flames up when I fire up my Cisco lab, but no worse then when I'm using my 250 amp MIG welder. I really should finish my Cisco CCNA.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure the intersection right below our house is cursed. We get at least a dozen highway closures a year due to rock slides or fatality accidents.
This happened at the end of December:
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/2014/12/21/rock-slide-blocks-all-lanes-of-hwy-99e/20734799/

And yesterday this happened:
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/clackamas-county/2015/01/12/clackamas-county-canby-crash-99e/21651785/
(Somewhere in there is a green Hyundai :(.)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

My power bill is pretty big, but my current running systems are mostly considered 'Company Expenses' as they count towards staying current.

Currently, I'm running:

Dell PowerEdge R905
- 4 x Quad Core AMD Opteron
- 128GB ECC DDR2

Dell PowerEdge R815
- 4 x 12 Core AMD Opteron
- 96GB ECC DDR3
- 16TB iSCSI SAS Array

And a couple other odd ball servers for testing apps and running VMs for friends to virtual off of. The servers mirror our work servers as a ghetto off site backup to supplement our colo, and let me do testing for roll outs without knocking out the main system.

Ahh. I've got a 2u Dual 6 core X5670, 192GB ECC DDR3, with 12x 512gb SSD's and a 4u (24) 1.5TB 7200rpm SAS array setup in one of our racks at work for that. It's running a combo of vmware/xen/solaris ATM. I actually was planning on removing it this last week, but I don't really have a use for it at home. Plus, work pays for the power/1Gb fiber line.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Thats a nice sounding bit of kit! I'd love to do an SSD array.

I work in educational IT, and this sort of VM chat makes me assume that I must do most of my work with very minimal amounts of kit!

How big are the systems you are running?

Here's the cluster I designed and deployed Q4 2014. The only picture I have is from my friends facebook wall, where he made me pose. Haha. Excuse the super geek. What's worse is the CIO blasted this around to the board of directors (at the company we installed this at.) Anyways, part of my job is building HPC environments. This deployment was 480 cores, 5TB DDR3 1600, connected via 40Gb Infiniband to three giant NAS providing 1.8PB combined SSD and Spindle storage. Sadly it's running... Windows... because of a massive gently caress up/failure on behalf of management. It's a long, frustrating story. But they are software locked for now. This thing running Cent OS 6.5 literally destroyed it's current Windows bloated self. /rant

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any reason NOT to buy a Hobart Auto Arc 130? http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hobart-auto-arc-130-wire-feed-mig-welding-kit/0000000031165

This seems to be a pretty decent deal, the only thing I would rather have is better regulator, but that can be upgraded down the road.

See if you can find a 140/135/130 or the Miller equiv. Those lunchbox size machines lack the nice stable arc of the larger/heavier transformer machines. And it's a small price difference. Used ones hold their value, so some times it's easier to wait for a sale like Zoro tools just had. 30% off made the HH140 $420 shipped. But that sale only happens a few times per year.

You care about three things when Mig welding. Amps, wire speed, duty cycle. Power means nothing if it only lasts 30 seconds at 70%. Also, don't cheap out on a welding helmet. Your eyes are worth more then a $40 HF auto-dark. Trust me.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Hobarts are essential last gen Millers. They are great little machines. The 140/135/130 are all 120v. See if any local welding supply shops will let you demo a machine. I just bought a MM140 for dedicated .25 sheet metal work, but I wish I had saved $250 and just bought the Hobart.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those look familiar, we have some similar in a few of the computer rooms I've been in. Good power for the foot print, I just hate the tiny high pitched fans that scream. Can't say much, the new stuff I'm working on has fans going at 15-17k RPM at most times and increased the sound level in the computer room by a lot. All the customer people were in the room when we first spooled it up because they wanted to see just how loud it was. We've always been good at making loud poo poo. What's the power draw per cabinet on that?

Same in HPC. Downtime is a big issue when the system gets large enough (Titan), downtime costs roughly 50k per half hour. Not power plant levels of money but still not cheap. Didn't really sink in until they were doing some electrical work and knocked down a chunk which hosed everything resulting in a ~1 million dollar downtime.

You would be amazed at how quiet this new gen hardware is. It's a night and day difference between the screamers that were X8 based dual node 1U's.
This deployment was limited to 3, 30amp 240v circuits. The 10 compute nodes draw just under 22 amps at full load. The storage is somewhere around 18amps per circuit. By no means a power hungry system compared to the 150 node system we have at another company. It's last gen X8 tech and it can only support 14 nodes per 30amp circuit, at half the core count.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have been eyeballing one of those inverter based tig machines myself. Again, im not in production, but it would be fun to gently caress around with. But I would rather save up my funds for a plasma cutter.

How much service do you have to your shop? I know most homes are around 200 amps, and a giant majority of sub panels are 100 amp. I know your new shop is set up well though.

Get both :getin:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What kind of tig do you have?

Miller Dynasty 200 DX. Honestly, a $1500 used Syncrowave 250 would do 90% of what I want (and have a higher duty/amps, but is not portable).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Motronic posted:

drat that's a nice setup. Looks like you're a superflex whore too. What are you running for a torch and cooler?

CK20 and a home made cooler using a old Procon pump, power steering cooler, 120v Muffin fan, and a SS baking dish. Works awesome.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went to Lowes yesterday to buy a piece of pipe for a cheater-bar, it's like 20 loving dollars for a 3-foot length of galvanized pipe, what the christ.

Why not use black pipe? It's cheaper (not by much).

Also, scrapyard. I got 10 5ft long 1.5" pipes for $45.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Today was a good day.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
This is basically my job: http://issendai.livejournal.com/572510.html

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you figure someone in my family or myself have put 320,000 miles on our F150 @ 15MPG average, with a $2/gal average over 17 years... That's $42.6k in fuel...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I just realized I have $230 in store credit with Corksport (Mazda parts company). Free parts!

I'm split on CS- On one hand, they have always taken care of me (maybe since I'm local). On the other, their quality is directly related to the finest bottom tier Chinese labor and materials money can buy. The only parts I have not been disappointed by was their strut tower bar (discontinued) and some OEM parts they somehow were able to order cheaper then my discount @ the local dealer. I installed an air intake for a friend recently and the pipe deformed while tightening the clamp on the coupler. Ironically, the clamp stripped on the other end.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Really? I've had no issues with the parts I've bought and people rave about their exhaust systems. The 6 needs a new exhaust, it's rusting horribly, and at $230 off I can get the cat-back for like $600 or something. I could probably just hit a local exhaust shop but I've enjoyed working on the Civic so much I'd rather bolt my own parts on.

As far as rotaries go, their exhaust quality is on par with every other ebay exhaust I have seen. Very tinny sounding and looooud. For a Mazda 6, it's probably fine, but it's no better then a Chinese ebay equivalent IMO. You're also probably not gutting the cat like every 2nd gen Rx7 ricer. (I literally had to wear ear protection in a kids FC I was working on.)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Another week of doing pretty much nothing. I wonder how much longer I can do this and keep collecting a paycheck. At least it's Friday!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's 61 outside. WTF. We have almost no snow pack. Summer is going to be hot and dry. Thanks Oregon.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just realized that in 30 days, we've had four people quit. I can't wait to jump from this sinking ship.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Whats happening?

The medium version: Our CEO has lost his mind, is self destructing and taking the company down with him. Or at least that's how it appears. Latest example: When my coworker quit Friday, he was told by the CEO that he was not in the right mental state to be quitting and should reconsider. Otherwise it's typical trickle down issues- our sales team/PM's are left to run free, they sell systems and features we haven't made yet and it's a fire/rush job to get a semi functioning product out the door or the company will collapse. The field guys throw the engineers under the bus when the customer complains, the engineers blame management. Everyone ends up being treated like crap and according to the CEO, Engineers are easily replaceable, which has turned their department into a revolving door. The exec team is at best a bad joke and was hand picked due to their ability to be easily manipulated. After three years of this nonsense, it's burnt some of our best people out and I'm just barely hanging on. We've lost a dozen people this last year alone (in a now 40 person company, down from 68), not including the dozen field service guys we cycled through. I recently found out the CEO is trying to sell us, again. I'm 99% sure that included in the sale is IP that we developed/own 50/50 with the last firm who tried to buy us and it's going to end badly. I've got an out, but I'm waiting on lawyers to get back to me. I'm counting the days until February 28th, until then I'm burning up my vacation and sick days :).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

T-Square posted:

I've been watching a lot of Miami Vice, and poo poo like this pops up in pretty much every episode. I want an old Merc so bad now.

Question for VW guys: My dad's friend is looking at one of his friends 2001 Golf GLI that had snapped the timing chain while idling in a drive-through line. Car has 180k miles on the clock and is a manual transmission and he was shown the quote from the shop that they took it to, and obviously it needs headwork (he wasn't specific) and I asked about valves and he told me the quote didn't say anything about bent valves at all. The head is currently off of the car. The owners are trying to offload it for $1,200. I personally would run away, but I told him I'd look into it and see if it's worth his time. So, is it worth his time? Or should he run away too?

Edit: Probably should have asked him what engine is in it. :doh:

I paid $500 for a 01 VR6 with broken chain guides. Never again. I was able to fix it for $1k and flipped it for $4k though. I usually tell friends who ask similar questions, what's the point of buying a $1k car, putting $1k into it, just to have a car that’s worth $2500?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 28, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I just signed a job offer after more than a year of searching.

Tomorrow I get to go in and quit, which is going to be awkward.

Congrats! I got a call Monday from a company I turned down (due to terribly wrong promises/misleading current company who bribed me to stay) asking if I would be interested in a even better position! I can't wait to leave this place. I'll be amazed if they don't just walk me out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Drinking + having extra cash this month = terrible decisions.

Also I now own a JD2 Model 32 bender. gently caress.

• Locked thread