Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

Well, I am gonna be MIA for awhile. With all I raised from selling my poo poo on samart- it isn't enough. I had hoped to fly, but can't. I'm stuck driving half-an-invalid to see off a full one. Keep 13" drunk to keep up shitposting quantity/quality.

Don't tell Ozzy that we're talking the Ferd (all terrains have only about 10k on them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Looks like we got another 5" of snow last night. Getting sick of this. Can't even get the Ferd up to temp when it's -10. Thermostat probably sit the bed now. Yay

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

When did I give up on my gimmick and actually start doing things? I can't remember now.

jamal posted:

Fuuuuuck. Getting in my car to go work out tonight, feel phone slip out of my pocket as I close the door, and crunch, it gets sandwiched between the door and frame. Glass is toast, bottom half of the screen doesn't come on. Probably should have got the insurance.

If you want to send it to me, I'll fix it when I get back.

E: Hell, we can almost meet right now. gently caress 400 miles in this weather though.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 8, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

jamal posted:

I think this is what I need, willing to try it myself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...measp%3DType%26

ProTip gor DIYers: If you can buy the screen with the frame, do so. It makes a much easier repair with less chance of getting literally broken crap from China.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

some texas redneck posted:

How difficult is it to do the job on a Nexus 5? My screen is intact, but it has a couple of scratches that are bugging the poo poo out!o of me. It could definitely use a new battery soon too, it's really showing its age (gets charged twice a day due to the constant GPS usage).

The 5 is actually a royal pain compared to the 4. You have a few more fiddly side buttons that are literally held together only by the frame. You will probably screw up your proximity sensor if you don't align it exact. The battery by itself ain't nothing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Meet with hospice nurse today. She estimates time left as under two weeks. The last three days of clarity have been the best present I could have hoped for. I still have problems not feeding someone just because they don't ask for food. I can logically understand how the systems are shutting down, and can no longer process it- but at the same time, my internal instincts scream at me to do otherwise.

I really want to get completely blotto tonight, but I am the driver, emotional support, and the new cornerstone. poo poo.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Thanks, man. Your offer of assistance was shared, and greatly appreciated. I would bump the SAMart thread, but it is archived.

I have come to a compromise on inebriation: I am watching bad TV and am drinking a bud. Misery loves company.

v- Send it to me, I'll fix it!

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 10, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Ferremit posted:

It depends on your monitor too- its a LOT more work for a PC to push 2550x1440 on a 27" screen than it is to push 1920x1280 on a 22" screen. I've got a 2600K i7 and a 770GTX with 16GB of ram and it does NOT like pushing 2550x1440 in Battlefield 4 at ultra graphics

Now if it was only 1920x1280@27"...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

The relatives' cockatiel wouldn't shut the hell up for the last two days despite being given oodles of attention, a fresh cage w/ clean water and tons of food. It was chirping will into midnight, even with the cage covered.

I found the cutest little egg at the bottom of the cage this morning. :3:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 11, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fucknag posted:

Time for the world's smallest omelette.

If I could just find a croton to whittle into slices of toast and a mug for coffee..

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

Eh, I'm open to new experiences.

How much do you like Ann DiFranco music? And flannel?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

I like where this is going.

Not so much when you find out she doesn't work on cars that belong to men - unless they can sing every ace of base song in order of release.

--

Welp, not much else I can do here. The bitch is going to continue to force feeding him until his bowels burst (he can't process food or fluids), and she will continue to refuse to give him pain meds that he should have ever hour. Nothing that I can legally do. Time to go home.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 12, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

freelop posted:

DIY fuse tester schematic :v:

:lol:

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn. :glomp: Anything you can do through the court system? Hopefully this might help in some way.

Long story short- no I'm also up in jamal territory, not methville. I've spent thousands (when I had it) trying to prevent this from happening. It was his choice to end up this way, and there is nothing that we can do that won't result in more pain to him (out of their spite). Time to go put on a happy face and try not cringing when I see him lying there in agony. I can't even hold him because of the pain. gently caress this dumb planet sometimes.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 12, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

jamal posted:

Well poo poo. I ordered a replacement screen for my phone last week, just replaced it, phone turns on, new screen works, data works, text messages work, but it says voice is out of service and won't make or receive calls.

Do a full system reset from scratch, pull SIM and reflash stock firmware. Do over.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

T1g4h posted:

Man, for $1 a pop, Taco Bell's new Crunchwrap Sliders are pretty loving awesome. They're cheap and the Spicy Chicken ones are pretty tasty. These things are rapidly becoming my "Cheap rear end lunch / dinner" mainstay for when I don't feel like making anything here :v:

I saw that commercial. I can't figure why they're sticking junk food into already junk fast food. Frito's in a junk taco? Ick.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 14, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Adiabatic posted:

Do me a quick favor and delete the 9 on your forumid.

Oh poo poo. Here comes pac-man.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

jamal posted:

Ok thanks. I kinda mangled up the antenna getting the back of the case off so I'm thinking that's the problem, although like I said data, wifi, and texts still work. Have a new one coming. It is stock firmware but I'll do a reset if the antenna doesn't fix it.

Well.. I was assuming you didn't mangle it. I'd also replace the antenna first, then. SMS can be sent via Wi-Fi gateway for providers, so that isn't entirely surprising.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fucknag posted:

now accepting applications to punch me in the head like the piece of garbage I am

We already have a 13" dick.. And a guy with a similar moniker. :getout:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

Apparently using your hands for anything other than jacking off updating facebook is bad.

It could be worse. You could be harboring a straggly hobo beard.

I still read every stupid beard response in this thread as "poundhash bearpride" in my head. :v:

The one good thing about my trip out to see gramps was that he was incredibly (eerily) lucid.

I told him I spent less time with computers and more with the cars. Thanks to my thermostat wacking out at -10f and sticking open (loving failsafes), I got to replace it in his driveway. With a -20 to -30 windchill and sideways blowing snow. Of course all I brought was a lovely 40 piece socket set, but I got it done. I told him I had to borrow his open end 10mm and coveralls (he was one hell of a mechanic) from the garage (didn't tell him it was for the Ferd, or he'd have a shitfit knowing how metric everything is). I got the biggest smile. :3:

I tried to get him to tell me about the 351 he dropped in the Vega for my uncle, but he seemed more interested in talking about how Ma used to always burn up her clutches drive, and she'd come home and bitch about how gutless her Roadrunner was if she lost a race (in the 1/4, of course, before it became a highway). He'd put a heavy duty one in, and she'd have it roasted within a monthweek.

I had no idea that Ma was Danica Patrick Jr (other than her vocabulary)- and I'm kind of jealous. When do I get a muscle car (without trading for the house), huh!?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 15, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So, my bluetooth OBDII adapter from Amazon with a REAL ELM 327 (a pretty drat convincing silkscreen on the chip) worked perfectly, but the software CD was literally cracked. I contacted the seller, and let them know the CD was broken, and I was using it with Torque, but wouldn't mind the supporting software.

After 2 exchanges regarding my purchase information, I was sent a link to a :filez: dump. Did they misinterpret the CD being cracked? Oh, Amazon your sellers so crazy! :allears:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Pham Nuwen posted:

You don't want to put random Chinese manufacturer CDs into your computer anyway. We've definitely found nasty poo poo on driver CDs in the past, just sticking it in a Linux box and snooping around.

I can only imagine. I seem to recall something in SH/SC as an autoexec file dropper which caused nothing but pain. I just like stuff to be complete if I reselleBay it later. It was highly rated and "fulfilled by Amazon", so I didn't think this would be nearly as transparent as a $5 eBay item would have been.

E: Haven't tried to hook up HyperTerm or anything to the device (yet). Remember, folks, SCANTOOL.NET uses clones now, so set your identification string accordingly (check out the scantool 1.13 source on SF and the ELM 327 AT command set if this doesn't make sense :pcgaming: ).

v- What does this mean when translated into EN_us?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 15, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Just reinstall 2003 SMB. Then demote it to BDC. :getin:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...smb-connections

gently caress, I'm ready to just roll a *nix SMB server and kill this thing.

Mine would cause it to uninstall virtually all add-ons (like SQL server, Exchange, uh.. core services), and render an unbootable platform. Ask me how I know (I didn't do it myself- but had to clean up after it)).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

No it isn't you pedantic little rear end, because all other network services (iSCSI, SMTP, TCP/IP) remain responsive and other than SMB connectivity is not inhibited.

I'm not a Windows guy. I'm not even supposed to be here today.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

I'm an ex-UNIX sys admin, Windows pays the bills.

But that wasn't directed at you, it was commenting on the guy in the thread ;)

Yeah, me too. Started in admin, went into programming. Got paid to unfuck never-managed-resources-before code (looking at you, PHP and Java fucks). Except for paying the bills.. this fits- and (recent) Windows. I quoted that hoping for the inferred Clerks tone.

So, you got a quarter, want a blowjob, or what? These Kindles ain't gonna pay the bills.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

There are no downsides to this thing, why can't any major manufacturers build things like this?

I give it two weeks. Then your house will catch fire.

Motronic posted:

Probably because it's hilariously out of compliance with FCC guidelines.

I might have to pick one of those up.

..yup.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

Its 2 weeks were up 3 years ago.

Just playing with fire. The hot kind.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, the 2000 9-5 windshield cracked at least 4" up from the bottom in the last two weeks that I was MIA. My girls. My girls. :derp:

E: gently caress STOP PLAYING WITH THE FONTS. EVEN I HAVE A LIMIT.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 15, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

In that case, you're now sterile.

that is a victory for all mansaabkind.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Do they have Domain support? I mean, if I recall Slack does, but I can't remember.

Sure.

Just sudo gzip -dc file.tar.gz | tar xvpf - -C /

Same as it was in 1994.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

Or for those of us who have read a man page since 1994, we use tar zxpf rather than piping gzip to it.

But whatever.

Eat dicks. Solaris 2.6 5/98 (and FreeBSD 3.5) will return again! Multiplatform compatibility without relying on uname (which NeXTStep didn't have), bitches.

You use the v flag. Admit it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

When can I have OS/2 back and OpenVMS! :argh:

When you raid my apartment circa 2001. I even had OpenVMS running on a 3100. I compiled a NetBSD kernel on the other one (in about a week).

cursedshitbox posted:

See his avatar, and reread this, dicklicks.

Even in Offermans' voice, he can sometimes be a bit oversmug. Won't work depending on $PATH. <:smuggo:>

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cat Terrist posted:

Why on earth do you want Windows NT 3.1?

..reliable and useful filesystem?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

...what? Its a DEC/HP system.

I owned 3 Multias.

One lasted more than a month at ambient temperatures over 70f.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Which of these will work on my Amiga 1200?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

I hope the part about microfortnights is no longer present at least.

poo poo dude that is like threekernelpanics and changea few jiffies

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

now it's jizz ahoy!

So- no need for those Wagons, right?

GIMME GIMME GIMME! :kheldragar:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goddammit gimme your spare parts then gently caress

DALEjr! NOooooooooooooo!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

No thats when he posts the most.

Not when driving (unless in the Ferd). Just trying to pick up the slack. I knew you missed me.

meatpimp posted:

The new chat is good for one thing -- makes it easy to see that Viggen has 54 posts in 4 hours. I guess his trip is over.

Never knew that you had some bizarre way to figure this out. Or, you know, that you cared that much.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

Not that kind of trip. :okpos:

You can't smoke the resin of (not yet) dead relatives.. as far as I know. However, you look like a brown person. Perhaps you can elucidate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You missed the suicide checkbox, obviously.

• Locked thread