Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think I passed out a little after ten. God drat I'm a lightweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

The manufacturers of the players assume they'll be used with earbuds (which barely use/handle any power at all; we're talking milliwatts) instead of traditional headphones (which have larger speakers, and thus, need more power); they put out power in the milliwatt/millivolt range these days. For comparison, my car stereo puts out 4 volts on the RCA outputs (no idea on wattage, I'd assume it's miniscule, but still) - I bet if I wired a set of modern earbuds up to the RCA outputs, a lot of magic smoke would escape in a hurry.

A really good way to test this: get a set of cheap over-ear headphones from a dollar store. Try them on your Sansa. Then try them on a 90s Walkman. Crank up the Sansa as high as it can go, and you'll probably be able to carry on a conversation with the headphones on. Crank up the Walkman with the same headphones, and your ears will be ringing so bad that your neighbors will be shouting at you to answer that drat phone already.

Or try it with earbuds that you don't mind frying. I've already roasted one pair with a 90s Walkman I snagged from ebay. I just need to get some Journey cassettes for it.

Thank you for this. For the longest time I thought my mp3 players were just poo poo, since I'd always use them with my 15-year-old headphones. I even returned some because they were so quiet. Then I tried them with earbuds, and HOLY poo poo I CAN SUDDENLY ROCK OUT AGAIN!

And I never knew why until your post.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

It was 4 here too but goddamn, the windchill was obscene. -20 or -40 or something depending on who you ask. All I saw was BLOODY drat COLD and that was enough info for me.

Yeah it was -8°F here this morning and about -28°F with the wind chill. It hurt to breathe :(

The worst part is that it's too cold for salt to melt ice on the roads, so even though it barely snowed here last night, all the roads were still pretty slick.

Not too bad though, compared to last year.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Advance auto has a 35% off coupon right now and they'll install it for free. Not a bad deal since you said its 4 degrees wherever you are.

Do they install it if it isn't in the engine bay, like in the trunk on my 5-series, or under the rear seat like in my SIL's Bonneville? What about the infamous Dodge Stratus, where you have to remove the wheel and wheel liner to replace the battery?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's like the Lotus Elise of shitter seats. "You don't need all that other stuff!"

If they replaced the handle with one of those sensors that flushes it when it senses you stood up (or shifted, or didn't shift...), would it then be the Tesla Roadster of shitter seats?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have really bad acid reflux and it's been rearing its ugly head lately. I used to take prevacid (prescription) but my doctor changed me to something else that was helping better but lately doesn't seem to be.

The worst thing is it feels like heart attack symptoms (shortness of breath and chest pains) and I've been to the doctor many times just in case, and it's always digestive in nature. And I know that's what this is because there's a heartburn-like sensation with it sometimes.

I tried going to bed last night at 10:15 but after midnight I gave up, had a couple of shots of rum and was out in five minutes. :v: Does that make me an alcoholic, if I need booze to go to sleep?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 14, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

Mom did a chapter 7 last year; it was finalized in early December.

Go for it. It may seem embarrassing as hell, but she had about 75k of debt disappear instantly. It helped that the one lawyer a debtor sent showed up 30 minutes late (JP Morgan), after they'd already moved on to the next case. It also helped that her assets consisted of a house, furniture, an 11 year old car, and clothing - no investments, no retirement. She has to be careful about earnings for about a year, and anything she sells (i.e. can't sell the house), but otherwise the debt is basically gone.

Get a good lawyer, read up on your state's laws (Texas is one of the best to do a BK in, your house and 1 vehicle per person of driving age is exempt, along with livestock, 30k in personal property, clothing, anything related to making a living, TV, etc), and possibly profit if debt collectors try to collect on discharged debt. It's $500 per violation of the FDCPA, and you can easily rack up 20+ in one call. TX is a one party consent state (meaning only one person has to be aware that the call is being recorded); the lawyers have already paid for themselves and then some from the lawsuits against the collectors. Texas also applies the FDCPA to first party collectors instead of only third party.

My financial dirty laundry is fairly public, and I still wonder if it would have been better to file for bankruptcy back in '08 or '09 rather than take five years and pay off $43k worth of debt. I mean, that's $43k I could have held on to, right?

I have a house now, but perhaps I could have still gotten a house six years after declaring. I don't know.

It's all a moot point anyway.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

Especially when you can go somewhere else and get it for free. Add profit oriented education in with a hatred for math/science and you get land of the idiots.

I know several people that adamantly refuse to have children because of stuff like this. I know several others that are scared shitless about when school time comes and generally the kind of world their children are going to inherit. They're thinking about homeschooling but that doesn't come without a whole mess of disadvantages by itself.

Our country is terrible and we should feel terrible :smith:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some_admin posted:

Daughter getting quoted ~550 for distributor for 2002 Honda accord. 160K miles
This is in ski town maybe only place in town (winter park).
This way out of line, and is a distributor the kind of thing that fails on that car?

My brother has a 1998 Accord and I remember his distributor was stupidly expensive too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I ended up at Medpoint on Saturday. My chest hurt and I was having shortness of breath. I've had these symptoms before, and it's always gastric in nature - I have gastro reflux disease or whatever it's called.

The doctor did an EKG and it came back abnormal: "probably left ventricular hypertrophy."

Though they didn't seem worried about that (apparently it isn't a big deal) and my chest X-ray came back normal. He put me on prednisone (a steroid) and something to help me sleep at night (I've been, uh, taking a couple of shots of rum before I go to bed to help me go to sleep).

Sunday I felt miserable - intense chills and fatigue plus the shortness of breath and chest pain. And it occurred to me, I'm probably getting the goddamn flu. No fever or headache though. And no vomiting or diarrhea. The occasional heartburn though.

I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow morning. I went in to work today, probably shouldn't have, but I'm feeling alright enough to work today.

My body is a loving piece of poo poo and probably the one thing I don't want to die of is a bad heart :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

If y'all aren't also snapping with snizzpod and reignczech, you're missing out.

I have all of you except reignczech. Time to add a person!

p.s. those snaps were the best, especially Snizzpod's snap of Holdbrook's snap of (presumably) you. Great stuff, made my weekend of feeling like poo poo feel like a little less poo poo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo. I've made over twenty thousand posts on these forums in the past 14 years.

While I can never run for president because of that, I'm pretty sure that's a notable achievement.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The house about three houses down from my sister in law burned down last night. Apparently somebody threw a molotov cocktail through the front window.

That's pretty hosed up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I dunno, there are some people I'd love to do that to. They richly deserve it... but I don't do poo poo like that, so I just hope one of the people they hosed over will do it to them and not get caught.

Four people were injured, one critically. I'm thinking it was random. It's at the corner of my sister-in-law's street and a pretty major street that, further down, does through a fairly unsavory part of town (read: bullet holes in the siding of most houses).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Alright, I posted this on the facebook group too but I'm not sure everyone's on there.

Who is along this route?

I76 eastbound from Lakewood to I80, I80 eastbound to Chicago, I90 eastbound to Massachusetts.

If you're along that route, possible mobile goonmeet roadtrip in the coming month or two.

I'm just south of I80/90 in the South Bend/Elkhart area, there's a really good Chicago-style hot dog / etc place just off of the interstate.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
[quote="HotCanadianChick" post="440576177"]
I bet you think it's ok to say someone 'gypped' or 'jewed' you out of something.

I never realized 'gypped' was a slur. Is it referencing gypsies?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think people just want to be self-righteous in other people's faces and then feel good about claiming the moral high ground in whatever argument they were having.

I also have this theory that anybody claiming anybody else has a kind of xxxx-privilege as their argument is merely straw-manning. While I accept that there are such things as 'white privilege,' 'male privilege' and 'hetero privilege,' every time I've seen it actually used has been accusing somebody else of it and entirely dismissing their argument because of it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Somebody help me, I'm pricing Challenger R/Ts and I can't stop myself.

I suddenly want one. I never knew they were only $30k with the V8 and the manual transmission.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Everyone has one. Don't do it.

They look so good though. So good.

There aren't very many here in the midwest, I think the RWD scares them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

Instead of wasting your money on that slow, underpowered piece of poo poo (I mean it doesn't even have four hundred horsepower), go build a shitton more vans and buy a Hellcat.

I love that the Hellcat exists, but I enjoy living so I think I wouldn't want to buy one of those.

I think I just might want to give Chrysler a ton of money as a thank you for making that, actually. Maybe that's my secret desire.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

Funny enough the Jalopnik review out today stated it scared the hell out of him.
http://jalopnik.com/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-the-jalopnik-review-1680544167

I read that and that's about when I started looking at how cheap the regular V8 Challengers were. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My seven-year-old won't eat beef of any sort, but loves chicken because chicken nuggets are just "too yummy."

I love that she's at least honest with herself.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Far as I understand it GG had an involuntary AV change, commented on it, someone else changed it to a picture of a WRX, she mentioned her questionable legal problems with ownership due to familial troubles, Internet Tough guys happened and well then it got shut down.

It was a derail into a legitimate legal issue, and stupid goods were suggesting illegal things and being all sorts of faux-sexist about it.

I would have expected nothing else out of something awful dot com, I suppose.

I liked that thread, too. :/

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I want AI facebook pals!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

You guys are welcome to add me. I'm in the AI group and it's pretty easy to figure out who I am.

InitialDave, I don't really have any feelings on Z31s one way or another.

Now to find the AI group...

The regular SA group is pretty great though, especially when somebody renamed the group to 'Hitler was right' and everybody freaked the gently caress out because their family and coworkers could see that they were in that group.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just requested to join. Now you can't all talk about my shitposting behind my back!

Well you can until I'm approved, I guess...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You guys should all friend me (Jake), my facebook pretty much sucks otherwise. I can't access it at work unless I go to the other side of the building though, otherwise I'd friend and/or stalk every one of you.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ssjonizuka posted:

I hate to disappoint you... Oh, who am I kidding, I don't hate it at all. Prepare for disappointment. :v:

Unlike snapchat, I cannot post pictures of my bare rear end to the facebook. So it's considerably more boring.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bandman posted:

Counterpoint: Sperglord Firecock has no loving clue how to car. That z31 thread was a goddamn train wreck from the start.

Ooh, that reminds me, I need to catch up on that thre- :stare: 500+ new posts, holy poo poo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Dude here at work, in his forties, had a loving terrible cough all day yesterday. He comes in this morning and immediately has a major stroke.

I was late this morning because my kids had a two-hour delay at school, and was wondering why it was so quiet in here. Now I know. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Moments like those are why I watch Pawn Stars.

I mean it's all staged of course, but it's still fun to watch people's hopes and dreams whither and die at the whim of some fat kid named Chum.

• Locked thread