Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tirechat: When you fine people buy tires, where do you go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tirechat: Thanks for the ideas! The Cooper S takes run flats (no spare) and the place I usually get tires at doesn't stock run flats for reasons that the nearest Mini dealership is about 90 miles away. Needless to say, there's not much demand for Cooper S run flats where we're at and I'll be needing to replace them with tax money this year.

jammyozzy posted:

I've been back at work for almost 90 minutes and I'm about ready to quit. I forgot how bad this place was for me over Christmas but between not being able to sleep last night and the malaise today it's alllll coming back. :(

I'm back at work for the opposite reason today. I just had 16 days off, but I didn't get to relax a single goddamn day. Thank god I'm back to work so I can relax. Yesterday was going to be the day where I said,"gently caress it, IT'S MY DAAAAAY!" But then I got to detail my wife's grandparents car.. gently caress. That was rigoddamndiculous. I'm pretty sure they haven't cleaned it a single day since they got it. There was some mystery yellowish/white ring in the back seat cloth I couldn't get out which looks like something just sat there and festered for a while that corroded. In any case, glad I'm back to work so I can actually relax a bit.. At least until the students/faculty show up next week. This job would be the best ever if it weren't for the students and faculty.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 5, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Do yourself a favour and get non-runflats and some roadside assistance service (either AAA or something through your auto insurance). Runflats give a terrible, lovely ride and the improvement from switching to normal tires is vast.

Fair enough, I already have AAA.. However the idea that I can't just limp it to a tire shop to get a nail or other road/country debris out kinda sucks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

gileadexile posted:

They're calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight. Please please let this happen.

I think that's how many total inches we've received in the past 100 years.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is loving amazing.

I didn't screen shot the KABOOM one when I plowed into another car.

WATCH OUT FOR THE SPIKE SHELL!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Also I started watching Black Mirror.

I just watched the first episode.. Goddamn. :stare:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bolind posted:

Drove behind a Fiat 500L this morning. Holy hell it's huge.

'Murican Fiat. I've seen a few rolling around here with the type of occupants I'd expect to be inside.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

Undoubtedly some manner of Myers-Briggs personality sorter that only first year psych students and upper management that has been to a seminar place any value on.

Management even thinks this is a joke. To distill everyone down to only 16 types of personalities is a crock of poo poo. The latest management methodology du jour is SCRUM, previously it was waterfall and agile. Although I do sort of want a SCRUM cert only so I can scratch out master and write in LORD.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sperg, your pc build is missing something.. A 3rd 980. That'll extra learn it!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

I ran an intel 3.4 Ghz ES (engineering sample) P4 for something like 6 years. I wonder how much electricity I wasted.

I just upgraded my machine 2 months ago for the first time in 9 years. I built it this time with energy effeciency in mind. I cut my over wattage from 560 watts to 375. As a result it's also quieter. The only thing I really splurged on was a GTX 780 which I got at Fry's for $275.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rscott posted:

Upgraded to a C0 stepping clawhammer

I keep wondering how much longer until a manufacturer comes out with a CPU/motherboard chip set called the motherfucker.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Take that PSU back and get your money back. It's going to fall over and burst into flames the first time you try to actually use that video card (well, it'll at least overheat and shut off.. if you're lucky) - nVidia's official spec sheet states the GPU alone can pull 250 watts, and they recommend a minimum PSU of 600 watts. Running even the best power supplies at 100% load consistently will kill them dead in a hurry, and that video card alone will pull 67% of available power if you fire up something like Crysis (assuming 100% of that power is on the 12 volt rail - which it isn't).

I should be fine, I'm still using a Coolermaster 600w PSU from my previous build. I've only played through a couple games so far, but my wife has been burning time through with the newest Dragon Age and Advanced Warfare. The GPU (Asus GTX 780 CU2) fans make a little noise from working, but nothing compared to the previous gtx 275.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

I went for a poop but I am still standing here, perplexed.

I think you're supposed to AC Slater it. You'll know when you get it right because you'll hear an orchestra hit like Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I need a welder so bad :(

Same.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I hear that. I looked into the local community college's offerings for welding and whatnot and you have to hit their whole loving program to get to the welding classes. Metallurgy 101 and the like. I'm sure that would be helpful and endlessly educational, but I really just want to find a welding class. My dad was a professional welder for years and he doesn't even own one.

I was thinking about taking a class at our local JC because you can just do it either with or without a cert in mind.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 14, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Stepdad's birthday was yesterday. I gave him a $50 Walmart gift card for his birthday. He bitched and said it might help with groceries for a day. Thanks rear end in a top hat, that was 1.5 days of tips to pay for that.

Your stepdad's a dick. It's a free $50 gift card.. :(

Sorry man. :glomp:

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 15, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

You don't want to put random Chinese manufacturer CDs into your computer anyway. We've definitely found nasty poo poo on driver CDs in the past, just sticking it in a Linux box and snooping around.

The best Chinese thing I've ever bought was this: http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-POWER-RA...asin=B007M7RP6Q

A "Signal King" 802.11n usb 2.0 adapter. Seriously, the thing is loving amazing, probably because it was built in china with 0 regulations or fucks in mind. It also came with a tiny cd with all sorts of wep/wpa cracking apps to boot from. Aaaaaand, they work actually surprisingly amazing as well. I used them to test my own wifi router and found that no matter what I switched it to wep/wpa/wpa2 the little bastard does all sorts of cracking. Also the range on the thing is crazy. I can be anywhere on the 20 acres and have 5 bars. Also it's completely plug and play for win 7. There are no downsides to this thing, why can't any major manufacturers build things like this?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Motronic posted:

Probably because it's hilariously out of compliance with FCC guidelines.

My thoughts exactly. I bought it originally because it was cheap so I could stream movies from my PC to an outside laptop/projector setup. It looks cheap and feels cheap, but who cares, because the range and most importantly speed per range is amazing.

West SAAB Story posted:

I give it two weeks. Then your house will catch fire.

Its 2 weeks were up 3 years ago.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

See his avatar, and reread this, dicklicks.

I do that with every one of his posts. Now I can't tell if sage advice or being snarky.. Probably a bit of both columns.

Motronic posted:

In that case, you're now sterile.

Whatevs.. I already got that taken care of after #2 anyway now it's jizz ahoy!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

So- no need for those Wagons, right?

GIMME GIMME GIMME! :kheldragar:

Sorry dude'r, already sold the 9-5 wagon like 9 months ago.. But not before letting my son take it for a test drive in the pasture which lasted 2 minutes because he was making me sick in the passenger seat doing perpetual left turns. It was in that moment I found out he was not born a natural ambiturner. On the plus side, he now knows everything he needs to know about driving in NASCAR.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If I didn't have a car payment and a very expensive appetite for fiber internet + high end cable TV (those two alone are about $450/month)

Same, except car payment = $350 and "high end internet" (10 mbit if I'm lucky) = $100. Country life amplifies the cost of modern conveniences drastically. Though looks like we're moving back into the city sometime this next year because of new career prospects so I can pay $45 and get 105 mbit.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Protip: if it says "free", DON'T loving CLICK ON IT YOU loving IDIOT.

B.. But.. That's how I got all my ipods. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

(It has the n word sprayed all over it

:stare: Pix?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

We sold our tv over a year ago. don't miss the fucker.
we just have base 100/50 internet with no cable/phone.

This, except we have lovely internet speeds because country life, but haven't had a tv subscription in close to 12 years. When we cut our cable subscription we thought we'd really miss it, turns out neither of us did. We do have 3 "tv's" though, but have computers plugged into 2 via hdmi and a ps3/roku plugged into the other for gaming/netflix.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I cut the cable TV cord 6 years ago and I don't miss it in the slightest. One odd side effect though is that I have no idea what movies are coming out or are playing because I don't have those specific commercials being crammed down my throat and I don't spend a lot of time on "movie news" sites.

That too. I get calls from friends occasionally saying "WE HAVE TO GO SEE XXXXXXX!!!" I usually don't know what the hell they're talking about, I youtube it and go.. Aaah.. heh.. ok. Although I'm not opposed to going to our local theater these days since they upgraded the theater with a beer/wine counter with appetizers, etc.. you can get a full on meal there now. Also, all seats were upgraded to essentially motorized lazyboy recliners with snack trays and and cup/beer holders. That's been our go to place for movies the past year.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

^^^^ congrats!!

meatpimp posted:

is it heretical to say that a lot of the contemporary series have as high a production value as film, but with the extreme length (in relation to a 2 hour movie), they actually do a better job of in-depth storytelling?

Naaah, that's completely fair. It has a lot to do with audience involvement and time constraints though. I think even on some shows, especially on HBO the production value and budget is even more so than a typical 2 hour movie. Then again minute for minute, Hollywood movies still have them beat. There's only so long the typicsl person will sit still and be interested. I'm also guilty of that, I will only sit through 2-3 episodes of a show on Netflix before doing something else.

keykey fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 18, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Looks like i'll have to go find a chemist tomorrow and do the whole "Your not making meth, are you?" song and dance and give them my ID so I can actually get some pseudoephedrine and stop my GOD drat NOSE RUNNING!

loving Australian drug laws.

Same for 'Murica as well. Everybody in your house get sick at the same time? Sucks to be you, there's a limit on how much of the stuff that actually works that you can buy, you get to play the hunger games but with effective drugs. It's bullshit. I mean, seriously what's the percentage of real usage vs meth usage do people buy Sudafed for? I gotta think legitimate more than tips the scale for it to be a non issue. Well, thank god they put limits on it so not as many people will cook meth... Wait..

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Brigdh posted:

I got carded for buying superglue yesterday. I wasn't aware superglue had become the new sudafed. My opinion of humanity dropped even further.

Doesn't surprise me.. We get carded in CA for buying spray paint and other things already including sudafed which is how they determine your household max purchasable amount per month which is usually enough for 2 people so if you have a multi-family household like a lot of people in this area you're absolutely hosed, sickness be damned. I guess superglue is just the next step.

edit: also Holdbrooks & Goatse Guy's snapchats = :3:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

If y'all aren't also snapping with snizzpod and reignczech, you're missing out.

Thanks for the hot tip, attempting to add!

Geirskogul posted:

pizza, booze marketed towards 16 year old girls, and motherfucking pirate fairies.

Add in how it's made and it sounds like a typical night with my kids when my wife is working.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pretty much. And the other half seems to think that paddle shifters = automatic+manual.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes but the kid won't fit by the time its a year old.

E: MGB GT!!

Or a Mini. Perfect for a family of 4! :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

4 what, midgets?

It works for us so far.. Though the kids are under 10 and my son got screwed on height from my wife's side of the gene pool.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm 6'5", so basically anyone under like 6 feet seems like a midget as far as I'm concerned :v:

Haha, fair enough. I'm 6', my wife is 5'5, but the men on her side of the family are like 5'4-5'6. So pretty much midget status by dude standards.

edit:

Liquid Communism posted:

As I've learned from helping watch my nieces, you can't go wrong with getting them hooked on Fraggle Rock.

Oh yeah, we've already went through all of those, also he-man, Transformers, she-ra, jem, all that stuff.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

As a parent of a two year old girl, I am so sorry.

That's why you have alcohol present and turn it into a drinking game that only you're aware of. Any time you hear tinker in reference to bell/the other tinkerers/etc. take a drink/shot/what have you.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rscott posted:

Maybe I could replace my E30 with a 190e?
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4850443997.html

THAT PHONE. :vince:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Either that or a re-threading die should work just fine.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

88h88 posted:

On the other hand I hate all the weirdo poo poo series' which are basically all based on pubescent schoolgirls which now seem to outnumber the 'good' stuff.

This reminds me, the anime club brought more poo poo over in a paper bag for us to throw in the library. The process for this is "we" have to view it to make sure there are no skips in the DVD before it gets shelved. Last semester in had a work study student watch some poo poo called Fruits Basket which is exactly what you described. They brought us some poo poo yesterday called Strawberry Panic that looks like more of the same poo poo. The only question now is which work study student is going to screw up first. We play a special kind of thunderdome except 8 students enter, 1 watches an anime series. 4 semesters ago the anime club brought 4-5 series in, there was a dude that hated me all semester. Poor Jeff, I still feel bad about the cruel and unusual punishment, but that's what happens when you roll the anime thunderdome bones. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

I checked Facebook this morning and I lost a good friend yesterday. Feels real lovely.

Sorry for your loss. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I gave them a week and the assholes I work for are still giving me the run around about seeing a Workers' Comp doctor. Called and left a message with our Union Workers' Comp Attorney. I'll probably get fired but this is just ridiculous at this point.

Depending on the state, it's against the law to fire somebody because of an injury obtained while on the job.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm going to preemptively say this so we can get the steak sperging over with.

sous de vide

#54: Kitchen Gadgets - http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/05/54-kitchen-gadgets/

Sous vide is that to the next level of buying unnecessary poo poo just to say,"Yup, that's a pretty good steak."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We started doing the grill and bake method lately. It works amazing.

We do that, but in reverse with beef ribs. Put beef ribs in a pot of bbq sauce/beer to tenderize it over night, then bake it for a couple hours on low, then bbq. The issue is, organic beef ribs..
[sperg] organic is what we raise, no I don't give a poo poo if I eat organic or not, but we get a higher price at market and it's cheaper to maintain since cows are built in lawnmowers [/sperg]... are tougher than normal and they have a little bit of a gamey taste since they're grass fed. So, that's the method that my wife's grandpa has perfected over the years and it's been passed down for a few decades.

• Locked thread