Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

cursedshitbox posted:

Till you get to hardware :smuggo:

Bah, you act like the battery in my phone should not have exploded after only nine months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

Britgoons, how bad an idea is a cheap V6 MX-3? There's a couple of later (97/98) models I've seen advertised for <£800 and I would love my own little baby V6. :ohdear:

I have only driven US soec versions of the car, but the 92 V6 was a fun and peppy car. The 1.8L V6 is basically a lower displacement version of the same V6 Mazda used elsewhere like in the MX-6 and a fairly common thing to do is to swap in a 2.5L (if I remember right, it is also a super easy swap).

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
If my memory is correct, that was the last year of a generation of the Accord that spanned the 90s and 00's. I think it ran 98-02. If the distributor is anything like any of the 90's civics I owned, it need info be replaced is not a huge surprise.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
The single best interview advice I got, was to practice adapting the same scenario to different behavior questions. This strategy works well as rather than having one stock answer for many question, you really only need five to six scenarios to get you through multiple interviews.

As a mediocre example. During my undergrad while working on a project with two other people, one member of the group flaked and basically disappeared and had contributed nothing. My other classmate was pissed, even more so because we had a second project that was due at the same time and the third
Member of that three person group, who was a different person than the one in the other group also flaked. So to resolve the issues, I broke up the tasks between us, set deadlines, and set a time when we would talk with the professors of each respective classes after multiple attempts to contact the team members failed. I could tell this single situation as a way I resolved a conflict, a way I showed leadership, or as a way which I went the extra mile as I took on extra tasks. Really the difference is between which parts I emphasize over others.

Second best was to use glassdoor to look at other peoples comments on interviewing as well as example interview questions.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

rscott posted:

It's really cool when your department head comes into your lab 15 minutes before the end of the day and starts reaming you and your coworkers out because we apparently gently caress around too much and that I personally have a terrible reputation with a lot of people for whatever reason

Between this and the wreck and how much my life is an empty meaningless sham of an existence I'm so close to just giving up altogether because nothing in life actually brings me any sort of joy or feeling of accomplishment

Seconding the needing a new job/department to work in. The department head has issues of his own if he unloads on you guys and basically bails afterwards so as not to have to deal with any potential fallout.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

rscott posted:

He's like 2 years from retirement tops and has basically checked out. He spends most of the day browsing the Internet for guitar poo poo. And it's not so much getting yelled at for poo poo that's galling, it's the rank hypocrisy from the people doing it

That is a pretty unpleasant spots be in. I have had to work with a similar individual that oversees some equipment I work with. I had a research project get kneecapped because I could not get two hours of work out of that them despite trying over the span of about four months. Thankfully, the way miss the management chain is I can have verbal confrontations without fear of repercussions. Well, other than more of my projects getting screwed.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Oil chat.

I've always run Mobil 1 in my car (this last oil change was the high mileage version). It's oil change time, so I stopped by WalMart on my way home from work.

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus was a little cheaper this time around, and claims to be a synthetic made from a base of natural gas (yet still synthetic?). Claims to meet all kinds of OEM specs (including GM dexos1). Anyone happen to run an analysis with Blackstone with this stuff yet?

I also.. uh.. got a Fram ToughGuard oil filter :ohdear: instead of AC Delco. It's a cartridge filter, not canister, so I can actually see the guts.. and it actually includes a new o-ring for the oil filter cap. ... and now that I look at the receipt, it rang up for $2 higher than the shelf tag. :argh: (website also shows the same price as the shelf tag, so now I'm irritated)

That's pretty spiffy using natural gas as a base stock and makes it more of an actual synthetic than the highly refined products. Honestly, if they get the desired base stock it really does not mater the process unless there is a glaringly obvious reason to choose one process over another.

Filter wise, Fram makes everything from filters which are a absolute crap to products which start to compete in higher end market segments. The biggest reason I avoid their products is that product quality can vary significantly from one manufacturing location to the next. At least with a cartridge filter you can do a quick visual and see if there are any major issues (both before you install it and after you remove it.)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm gonna get hosed so hard on my taxes. I was on unemployment for 6 months with no taxes being taken out and I made over $6k in one month as a sub-contractor on my 1099G.

Hi five there hosed on taxes buddy! My wife does mostly contract work and for 2013 we owed $3500. We are also pretty sure 2014 is going to be worse.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Just changed the oil on the Ion. It was halfway between the add and full marks on the dipstick.

Uh.. that oil filter has seen better days. Wix filter at that. But given the fact it's seen about 8k miles, okay, I can expect it to deform a little bit.

This... this doesn't look good, does it? :ohdear:

That was about 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 high mileage 5W30 with about 8k (capacity is 5 quarts). I've never seen that kind of sheen on oil unless metal poo poo is contacting metal poo poo. :suicide: The engine sounds brand new though, so I'm just going :wtc: at the moment and hoping the high mileage oil washed a bunch of poo poo out of the engine. It's always seen Mobil 1 of some sort since the first time I changed the oil (I've put 42k on the car, it had fresh unknown oil in it when I got it, so I changed it after I'd put 2k on it).

I opened the box the filter was in before purchase, and noticed it actually includes a new O-ring for the filter housing - something even the OEM filter doesn't include. Fram got a really bad reputation for using cardboard endcaps within their canister filters, but this one looks to be on par with the Wix filter I currently have, and better than the OEM filters.

Their lineup seems to be "Extra Guard" (the crap, box claims good for 5k, claims 90% filtration), Tough Guard (what I bought, and the box claims it's good for 10k, claims 99% filtration), Ultra Synthetic (also claims 99%), and "High Mileage", which mentions nothing about filtration efficiency, just claims to include "additives" (if I wanted extra additives, I'd add them myself). Their packaging claims a typical oil filter filters at 80% efficiency - the $3 Purolator filter Walmart sells claims 97%. Except they don't list a Purolator for my engine, but they do list one for the Saturn Ion Red Line (which uses the same AC Delco and Fram filters as my car :confused: ).

Wal-Mart sells AC Delco filters, but the last one I used came apart when I removed it. I used a Wix (Napa Gold) filter during my last oil change. The Blackstone analysis should be interesting on this one.

I'm half tempted to go change the oil right now. It's fairly nice out right now, and the car is parked on the curb. Should take all of 10 minutes, including collecting a sample for Blackstone.

The filter does not look terrible, but you really need to do more than just a quick visual to know if the media was actually compromised because of the the pleats bunching (went wavy, bent, etc). Granted, that is not exactly easy to do in a home garage. In the grand scheme I would not fret too much about that one, but I would have changed it much sooner if the previous filter had come apart and had potentially left a lot of debris in the system. This debris will get caught in the next filter you put in the engine and may even plug it to the point that you spend a much more time with the oil bypass valve open than you really want. That all depends on where the debris is in the engine and how much of it left with the oil when is changed. If your oil still tests good, for the next service you could easily swap out the filter and just top it off to try and try to get the full life out of the oil.

Paper end caps are awesome and do get a bad rap because well, they are paper. You can make a paper end cap which will stand up to a full service interval on a heavy-duty engine, but it will still be looked down on for being a paper composite of some form. The more important thing to consider is that there are a lot of filters which are basically commodities and as such you can expect it to be the bare minimum product they can sell without it being a significant liability to manufacture. Some are better than others, and if the filter is made poorly having a weaker endcap is only going to compound the issue (ie like when you happen to be the unlucky person who gets a defective filter). The last Fram orange can I cut open was actually impressive in its own way for the minimalistic use of materials to piece together a filter which gets above those minimum expectations.

Commodity filters are a bit out of my area, so they may have some standards on reporting, but the efficiency values which they will put on the side of a box tend to come from a standardized test which recirculates fluid and debris though the filter. More debris will be added at a constant rate and you measure how many of what particle sizes go in the filter and what comes out to give you efficiency values. You also measure how much debris is left at the end of the test and how much you added to determine how much debris the filter holds. There are a epic load of issues with these tests, but the bigger focus with what is on the side of the box is that its very easy to give a value which does not fully portray how the filter performs. There are a couple of ways to represent it, but the efficiency value will typically be at a specific micron rating that is cumulative and also a time weighted average. So basically when it says its 90% efficiency at 30 microns, it means that over all the debris over the entire test, it averaged out to catch 90% of everything 30 microns and over. This values does not tell you how long it takes the media to get to an acceptable efficiency value, nor does it tell you were or if it went absolute (frequently meida needs to catch some debris to block off the bigger holes to get to the efficiency you want). If the filter has an decent media in it but periodically bypasses a little fluid, the absolute rating where it should stop every particle greater than that size will not really exist as you will still have the occasional 75 micron particle slip by. Really it is best to read the fine print and see if they actually have a micron rating. Also, I really want to know where they get all the terrible filters from that every company seems to test their products against.

I tried to make the rant short and I really should do an post on oil filters over in the engineering thread, but :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
I guess I can try and minimize the effort:post ratio and just break up the topic into a many different posts. there is a lot of stuff that goes into a filter and I have been pleasantly surprised how complex the working with them has been.

• Locked thread