Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Happy loving new year, assholes. I'm at work, so sober with hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. So are people going to hate the Buckeyes more or less now that they downed Alabama? It's like they're trolling in real life.

They didn't impress me much. Oregon's going to eat them alive. 'Bama just imploded on offense, and gave the game away in the second half.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even though I live in the general vicinity, I refuse to buy a 25 year old car that I am going to have to over night parts in from Japan. I'll stick to my flaming British piles. :colbert:

Same deal, different piles. It's local, but I've barely got the patience for Amazon and RockAuto. Besides, that price is a touch high for a car that's spent a decade in the land of Salt and Woe. I'd want a good look underneath.

I don't trust it, anyway. Who tries to hock a car at $13.5k with 'just' a little brake work to be done, and doesn't just fix it? Probably blew it the gently caress up trying to be clever and wants out from under before it starts to sound as bad as it is.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 4, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There's plenty of snow at home and I'm stuck in a hotel for work. All I want to do is some awd power slides in a rover.

Took the XJ out on the gravel out by Booneville last night. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Somehow my house had all its copper still present when I bought it. I tore it all out though since after days of inspecting and repairing hamfucked sections, I turned the water on and water still found 4 holes to come out of in a hurry (seconds after I turned the valve) and then just did it all from scratch.

Cost me around 500 in materials for all new, and that's a generous estimate... sold the old piping to the scrapyard for 244 a few years later when I was scraping the bottom financially. They did in fact take a copy of my ID.

Most of the houses I looked at before I bought mine had no copper left... loving thieves.

Yeah, come spring we play the 'look for water running out of basements, call the utility' game in my neighborhood, since like a third of it is foreclosures owned by out-of-state banks who don't have anyone local to check up on them. I really need to get my poo poo together and move.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And part of the mess we are in is the fact that people just don't understand money, how it works, etc. Being debt free is good, but its ok to be in debt as long as you can manage your current debt load, and most people can't manage that. I still don't understand why schools can't have a basic fiance course before you graduate why its ok to use credit cards, but with in reason, and be able to pay the balance off with in a couple of months, etc. Or how to properly calculate a monthly budget with excess reserves, and so on.

But with the abundance of cheap credit, I don't think it will ever go away. If the interest rates ever climb about 8% or 9% these 300,000 homes are going to crash in value.

Man, you live where I live, I'm fully expecting all the $300k shitboxes they threw up in the last 5-10 years out west of town to be derelicts in another 10. So absurdly shoddily built it's amazing, and every single one of them is upside down on their loans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ah I forgot, I should a PM ed you when Holdbrooks stopped through, we ate at Smokey D's. He didn't kill me, A+++ would hang out again!!!

Probably wouldn't have caught me, I've been down with the plague for the last two weeks. Idiot kids I work with refuse to use their sick days for actually staying home when they're contagious, so the office has been a petri dish.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

keykey posted:

Add in how it's made and it sounds like a typical night with my kids when my wife is working.

As I've learned from helping watch my nieces, you can't go wrong with getting them hooked on Fraggle Rock.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We started doing the grill and bake method lately. It works amazing.

Cast iron pan, preheated in a 400 degree oven then slapped onto a burner on high. Take ~1" thick steak, rub with salt and your high-temp oil of choice. One minute on a side in the hot-rear end pan to sear, throw the whole thing in the oven and bake 2 minutes on a side to finish, let rest 5 minutes on a plate to finish cooking.

Medium rare.

Edit : Also, gently caress that article's kitchenaid hate. Those mixers are the poo poo, and anyone who wants to bitch about them can go hand wip meringue or do literally anything that requires you to whisk something while getting another part of the recipe ready. Like ganache. Or mousse.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 22, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They don't have any beef and when you try to do something like mix pretzel dough the little fiber gear inside burns out and then you have to tear it apart, crack open the gearbox and lube up R2D2's anus as you replace it while wondering if this is really how Americans view the world and if so finally understand why their society has collapsed.

gently caress YOU, rear end in a top hat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCiivPt7hk

The gear is this little yellow friend you have to replace in the middle of all this poo poo:

I did this twice. Don't mix up the screw lengths or it eats the casing and drops metal shavings into your food.

Or you could buy a more expensive KitchenAid, which I didn't know existed when I bought mine.

I bought a $20 handheld electric mixer from Canadian Tire while I was waiting for a new fiber gear and turns out it mixes the same pretzel dough just fine.

Yeah, don't buy the light duty version and try to use it for any significant amount of dough. Right tool for the right job. Get the professional, it's not that much more expensive and a hell of a lot more durable, given that it doesn't use the gearing failing as the safety cutout. The couple I had in the bakery were 10 years old and going strong.

Or get a real mixer. Hobart for the win. The 12 quart I used to work with we scored for next to nothing ($300, I think) from a school cafeteria remodel, and it got used to make heavy fillings and small batches of dough on the daily.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 22, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

So, my 1990 Audi is 24 years old, had my birthday been in December, it would have had to pass the sniff, at least for that year. Since my birthday is in March, it would technically be 25 then, it is exempt from emissions.

Its a combination of your birthday (all your vehicles registration expires the month after your birthday) and the age of the vehicle.

Wait, you can't set the month for your registration? What kind of bullshit is this!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

I will not go quietly into the night

Good on you, man. gently caress cancer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

all these ai'ers with genuine bullshit happening and im over here stewing in my unprovoked brain problems

im poo poo

Brain problems are no joke man. Your brain is what translates everything in the world into what you experience, and if it's hosed up, it will absolutely ruin your poo poo.

STR, you know it's like, absurdly easy to get cheese made in reputable dairies that treat their milch cows like the pampered moneymakers they are, right? Cheese can be relatively guilt free from a cruelty standpoint if you don't mind the price difference.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

But yet farm managers / businesses dont seem to grasp this fact. It's not like it's a thing that eventually happens over time, you can change just about overnight your production yield by applying some basic cruelty free practices. You can change a lovely yield farm into a high yield farm and improve quality so fast it's mindblowing..... it's been proven time and time again. But then you see stories of hosed up farms and you have to wonder what they were thinking because treating animals well = profit is farming 101

It's mostly an issue in mega-agcorp owned factory farms these days, as they want a repeatable formula for making a product that has minimal variables, and a hangar packed with chickens at one per 8 inch square of floor with minimal ventilation and light creates a repeatable result in any environment.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Usually a bad result with minimal or no profit.

For the producer. Vertical integration means Tyson et all don't give a drat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Joined the AI facebook, because gently caress it why not.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fjelltorsk : When they diagnosed my Dad with esophageal cancer, he got a real surprise. Did an MRI, discovered one of his kidneys was just gone.

Not tumorous, just plain not there. Apparently when he wrecked his semi back in the 70's, it got damaged and just atrophied and he didn't notice. He laughed his rear end off at it, and the guys he worked with gave him no end of shut for being too tough for his own good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Holdbrooks posted:

Everybody in AI getting new jobs it seems. I am just waiting for my customary interview now.

Keeping mine, but they just promoted me to a supervisory role. Let's see how much stress it takes to ruin it for me. :)

Holdbrooks posted:

So I just added a bunch of you jerks on FB becaus I'm bored at work and my feed is lame. Add me if you want, and expect pics of orange things.

Added. I am a fan of orange things.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 30, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'd love to be debt free, but a decade of being poor has thrashed my credit rating. I'm down to just my small student loan and the absurdly tiny loan I took out to buy the xj for credit building purposes, though.

Another couple years and I might be able to afford to think about getting a house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Buying a house isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. The upsides are you can do whatever the gently caress you want, when you want. The downsides are that EVERYTHING costs money and EVERYTHING will eventually break and need to be repaired. Some repairs are super cheap..some cost thousands of dollars and weeks of time. When you buy a house it becomes a hell of a lot more difficult to move as well.

I live in the middle of flyover country, and have no intent of ever leaving. Costs are reasonable enough here that it's actually close to cheaper than renting. Not to mention that I've worked overnights forever, and am utterly tired of not being able to wrench on things/work on other projects on my days off without wrecking my sleep. :P

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Are you paying for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

:woop: I GOT MY COMPLETION CERTIFICATE TODAY :woop:

So, from going to the Tech school program I completed (HVAC/R), I effectively get half of a college degree for attending, on top of my completion certificate there.
I get 24 credits to Industrial Management Technology, and I already have credits from a previous college stint so I have almost over half the credits I need for that degree.

So so how good/terrible of an idea would it be to get another degree after I finish that? I've been toying with the idea of something like Mechanical Engineering. I've got a few friends doing that, it seems like something I'd enjoy and I've heard that hands on experience is a great help in the job hunt department. Plus my dad is an Electrical Engineer, and he's always made engineering sound like a fun field.
I know the market for the field is kinda saturated, but I'd think having my Certificate + the A.S. Degree would help.

VVV It'd be through Financial Aid + Parent's Money VVV

Unless you have a clear an ironclad path to an increase in pay that more than covers it, do not go into debt for education.

I repeat, do not go into debt for education just because.

• Locked thread