Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Happy new years, ya fucks!

Too lazy to quote from the past thread, but every pizza place I've ever worked at (actually, pretty much every place I've worked, period) - except where I'm at now - had a clause in the employee handbook stating they could look in your car any time they wanted, whether you were on or off the clock, if it was on company property; refusal was grounds for instant termination. I remember when I worked at Whole Foods, a coworker got busted buying weed in the parking lot in front of a neighboring business (someone saw the transaction, called police, police were nearby, etc); since the parking lot was shared, he was fired on the spot. Despite being off the clock and technically off of company property.

When I worked at Papa John's, occasionally the DM would show up and demand to search people's cars. One rule in the employee handbook was that cars must be kept spotless - inside and out - so there were always plenty of writeups for people having messy cars, and the occasional firing when they found :420: poorly hidden. Pizza Hut had the same rule, but I never saw it enforced.

I never got an employee handbook where I'm at now - it's a smaller nationwide pizza company (mostly in northern states), but every store is individually owned, so it's up to the franchisee to set up an employee handbook. The only paperwork I got mentioned how often we got paid, phone scripts, and how to greet walk-in customers. Never signed anything authorizing them to look in my car. When I asked them about inspecting the car, the GM looked surprised and asked me if the places I worked at before did that. I told him everything they did; he just shook his head and essentially said "I don't give two shits as long as your inspection and registration are current; the state inspects your car once a year, that's good enough for me".

So when I went to bed last night (well, for me, last night is 12/30), there was a nearly full can of beer on my desk. When I woke up, my desk, phone, mouse, and many other things were covered in beer.

The Dude slept in my room. I guess he decided to explore the desk. That can was knocked over, all over my phone :siren: (it was in a case, the only damage seems to be to the USB cable it was plugged into - PC doesn't recognize it unless I use a different cable - also the back of the formerly white phone is stained a funky color now), mouse, laptop (thankfully just the lid - no damage), and my :corsair: weekly pill box (ruined all the pills inside, thankfully I just got refills, but one pill per day was a supplement from nooblube in SA-Mart - that was probably the most expensive thing in the box, if you factor in insurance paying for the majority of everything else that was in there). Also knocked a bunch of poo poo off my desk. Like my glasses.

I wouldn't give up the furball for anything, though he drat near cost me a phone. :v: His personality is really starting to come out. He's drat near fearless unless it's an unexpected noise, has figured out what noises to make to see if it's safe to steal food off the table or counter (he'll knock a piece of silverware or some other metal object off the counter/table, then wait a minute to see if anyone shows up), and the late night kitty crazies are loving nuts with him. I was sitting on the couch watching TV earlier, heard a noise behind me, then I realize I've just had a cat jump up on the back of the couch, use the top of my head as a diving board, land perfectly under the coffee table, then all I saw was a greyish-blue blur hauling rear end/sliding all over the wood floors trying to catch whatever the gently caress cats think they're chasing when they're in the midnight kitty crazy mode. I was under the impression he was a little on the slow side, but I'd put him right on par with Squeak, who was pretty loving smart.

cursedshitbox posted:

I was also a 170lb twink at the time that could out drink a 70s loving freightliner with a 12v71.

There's no such thing as a 170 pound twink, 150 is the cutoff. :colbert:

MrChips posted:

Was it a midnight train?

Was it the train of consequences?

Sorry, that was one of my favorite Megadeth songs in high school...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left a pair of shoes on the patio overnight - I'd managed to step in dog poo poo (why the gently caress does our dog poo poo on the loving patio?!), and didn't want to hose them off when it 30 degrees outside.

Woke up to find a dead rat in one of them. Damnit. That was my newest pair too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STR catte #2 has turned into quite the fearless cat. He's stealing food from the counter, from the dog, etc.

Now the rear end in a top hat is photobombing my selfies. Jackass.

The tradeoff is he keeps my lap warm when I'm sitting down, and keeps my side warm when I'm sleeping. I think it's a fair trade.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

The thing that annoys me is listening to music over Bluetooth. You have to wait for the phone to connect and then switch inputs every time. What makes it worse is defaults back to the radio and the volume is different. So you get back in the car and it's super loud radio.

Wait,. what? How can an OEM gently caress up this badly? Even my relatively low end Pioneer stays on the Bluetooth input. If I shut off the car with it on the Bluetooth input, the phone disconnects and stops playing music (or if I was on a phone call, the phone switches back to the handset earpiece without hanging up). I start the car, it says "Connecting" on the stereo, and about 5 seconds later the music resumes, or the phone call switches back to the stereo. If the phone is off, or not in the car, it just shows "NO SERVICE" on the display until I switch inputs (and it even lets me disable inputs I don't use often - I only have the radio and bluetooth inputs enabled; USB and aux-in are disabled, even though I have the USB cable end in the glove box - more if I need to update firmware than anything).

leica posted:

So does anyone here know how to make a non-HDCP compliant tv compliant? I just got a giant old 50" Nakamichi plasma for free and of course it's non compliant so the DVI input isn't working with the cable box or PS3.

It doesn't have component inputs? That wouldn't be HDCP compliant, but even the newest cable boxes we have support component (3 video cables + 2 audio), and output even HBO just fine over them to our old 36" Panasonic 1080i CRT. I'm fairly sure a PS3 would work with that as well. I'm pretty sure an HDMI to DVI adapter won't work in your case.

Only other suggestion would be to pick up a cheap home theater receiver that has HDMI inputs, and get an HDMI to DVI adapter to go from the receiver to the TV. My PC sees the HDMI port as "Onkyo HT-R290", and sees it as HDCP compliant - turning the TV on and off does nothing to the PC, but if I turn off the stereo (or switch inputs), the 3rd "monitor" disappears. If you already have some speakers, Wal-Mart usually has a Sony or Pioneer 5.1 HDMI receiver for a bit over $100 (avoid the all in one things though). I think I paid a bit less than $200 for mine a couple of years ago, which came with 5 (crappy, but passable) speakers + subwoofer, and has 4 HDMI inputs.

PaintVagrant posted:

side note: What the gently caress does oil in the crankcase vent hose/intake/etc mean? PCV valve jammed shut?

That, or some serious blowby. New PCV valve won't hurt, but it may just be a tired engine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

I am really pissed off that he bought that thing too. He had a yukon which was great, but old, so it needed replacement. I made a lot of recommendations and offered to help both my grandparents buy cars, and I am there pretty frequently visiting. So last summer suddenly they both have new (used) cars thanks to some greasy rear end in a top hat sales guy. Way over paid for the ram, it is fully loaded with a backseat tv and a bunch of poo poo he doesn't know how to use, a bunch of chrome poo poo all over it, 20" wheels, etc. And he has no use for a pickup. He's 80 and can't get anything into the bed, it's huge and terrible to park even compared to the old yukon. Also, those 20" tires were bald so he got to buy new ones plus another set of winter wheels and tires right off the bat.

Goddamn. I could never sell something to someone that wasn't actively looking for it, or recommend it if I didn't think they needed it.

Which is why I left my "tech support" job at Frontier Communications (Rhyno knows how badly they sucked); I was expected to sell SOMETHING on 8%+ of my calls. I was fine with selling antivirus, as it was (at the time) a decent product (rebranded F-Secure, but with a higher price), and if they were on a higher speed plan, I had no issue seling their backup software. But the electronics warranties, premium tech support (where we'd support anything electronic), and identity theft protection were downright ripoffs.

I remember when someone from sales transferred a call to me to install antivirus software on a new customer's laptop. No big deal, we do that all the time. I ask if it's a Windows or Mac laptop.

"Neither, it's a Chromebook"

Sales had done such a good job convincing her that she absolutely needed antivirus, that they sold her a product she couldn't even use. :smithicide: We discussed Chromebooks for a bit, and I told her I'd been thinking of getting one for basic web browsing, pointed her to some web pages to convince her that her Chromebook couldn't run a Windows or Mac antivirus product. Had to get sales back on the line to remove the antivirus charges (I had the access to do so, but since the order was still open, I couldn't touch it, and I couldn't issue refunds anyway). I knew it would cost the sales person some commission (and then some, since it was immediate churn), and made sure she didn't have a PC or Mac in the house she could use it on first. I felt so loving dirty working there.

This is why I don't work in sales - I have too much of a conscious.

I did overpay for my car, but I knew it was priced at the top end of KBB retail, and in nearly showroom condition. Plus my options were really limited thanks to my credit; CarMax was the only place that would finance me at anything under 18%. Kinda wish I'd held out for a Red Line version though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

Actually I wasn't wearing flip flops this time so I guess I hosed up? I did have sunglasses on tho.

Also I seem to be having horrible luck with electronic devices, anyone happen to know why the brand new JBL Charge speaker I bought seems to not like certain non bluetooth MP3 players through the aux input? My old Sandisk Sansa is barely audible with both devices turned all the way up.

The manufacturers of the players assume they'll be used with earbuds (which barely use/handle any power at all; we're talking milliwatts) instead of traditional headphones (which have larger speakers, and thus, need more power); they put out power in the milliwatt/millivolt range these days. For comparison, my car stereo puts out 4 volts on the RCA outputs (no idea on wattage, I'd assume it's miniscule, but still) - I bet if I wired a set of modern earbuds up to the RCA outputs, a lot of magic smoke would escape in a hurry.

A really good way to test this: get a set of cheap over-ear headphones from a dollar store. Try them on your Sansa. Then try them on a 90s Walkman. Crank up the Sansa as high as it can go, and you'll probably be able to carry on a conversation with the headphones on. Crank up the Walkman with the same headphones, and your ears will be ringing so bad that your neighbors will be shouting at you to answer that drat phone already.

Or try it with earbuds that you don't mind frying. I've already roasted one pair with a 90s Walkman I snagged from ebay. I just need to get some Journey cassettes for it.

Brigdh posted:

Generally power management involves running something faster/slower, or turning something off. The slower something runs, the less power it consumes. In a simple world, when you turn something off, it consumes no power. So, if you are checking email, and have a quad core processor, you probably want to turn off 3 of those cores and run the 4th one at a low to medium speed. This way, the phone consumes only enough power to provide a reasonable experience for the task of checking email, and hopefully no more.

Even the cheapest desktop and laptops do this today. My system (i5-2500k, stock 3.3 GHz, but OC'd to 4.2 GHz) throttles back to about 800 or 900? mhz when idle. The only time I've ever seen all 4 cores at 100% is if I'm doing some sort of torture testing. It's a fantastic way of getting really good battery life out of a compact package, as long as you don't fire up Crysis on your $2000 Alienware laptop while on battery power.

At idle (but not sleeping/hibernating), it pulls about 50 watts from the wall outlet. When sleeping, about 5-6 watts, 8-10 if I'm charging my phone off of it. When gaming, i've seen it pull over 300W.... until the PSU says "gently caress this". The PSU is barely adequate for my video card and drives, before you factor in the CPU and RAM... I just don't want to drop $100 on a good power supply. :effort:

I remember having 486s with multiple hard drives that made the lights through the whole house dim briefly when powered on.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 5, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brigdh posted:

Clock scaling of the processing cores is a very basic technique that has been around forever. So yeah, I'm be surprised if your desktop/laptop didn't do it. Its conceptually simple to understand which makes it a great trivial example, particularly when one is attempting to keep a technical reply on point. It also happens to be archaic, crude, and less effective that one might think, particularly compared to what other options there are.

You rarely see 100% usage these days for a generic work load for two main reasons - the hardware is juggling things around to keep thermal/leakage issues in check, and the performance disparity between the processor and the rest of the system is so great that is difficult to keep the processor busy. We've gotten some of our development devices up to the 7Ghz range for fun, but step one involves borrowing the cold stress testing freezer that normally operates at -40...

Forgot to mention undervolting as well - I've seen my CPU drop down to 0.9V and below. I never figured such a powerful item could run at the millivolt level.

I don't even pretend to understand how it works, I just look at the numbers on the Kill-A-Watt, and watch HWiNFO64. I know there's quite a bit of juggling between the GPU and CPU for a lot of stuff these days, but beyond that I'm completely lost. I know how to assemble the poo poo and make it work, but I'm not kastein.

When I stopped reading hardocp.com years ago, they'd managed over 5.5 GHz out of an i5 or i7, with liquid nitrogen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had 2 replaced under road hazard in the past 6 months alone - on top of 3 repairable flats.

This is why I always buy from a national company with a local presence, instead of some random tire shop that's not an authorized distributor. Discount Tire is usually drat good, though they hosed up two of my wheels pretty badly this time around. Still waiting for their corporate office to approve refinishing or replacing the wheels. :sigh: They also just dropped the spare tire in the trunk this last time (usually they'll put it back where it goes, or at least ask me where I want it if they can't get to the spare tire area).. they dropped it right against the rubber surround on my sub and ripped it. :argh:

This last visit has me seriously reconsidering ever using Discount/America's Tire again, but damnit, they're cheap, and 99% of the time, do great work.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 5, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally got the police report about the identity theft. Scanned it, emailed it to Verizon. Called them about 30 minutes later, the guy I spoke with said someone had opened it, marked the account "not fraud", and closed the file with no comments, which had him sounding like he wanted to track down that person and smack the poo poo out of them. :wtc:

He read over the police report - 1 page of notes from the officer, plus 2 pages relating to what crimes were committed (Forgery-Deed/Check/Credit Card/Will/Mortgage/Etc - Forgery of financial instrument, and the inactivation of the case since they didn't have anything to go on) and the level (State Jail Felony), said he's closing the account as fraudulent, and adding the ESN to their blacklist (up until tonight, the account has been suspended, which meant the ESN was still "clear" if you went to something like swappa.com, but the phone couldn't be transferred to another account). I asked if he was able to tell me where the phone was purchased.

It was purchased in person at a Target store... very close to my former employer. :aaaaa: He made it sound like Target will be eating the cost of this, since they obviously hosed up somewhere by not verifying identity, and by not pulling credit, since the phone was financed with zero down. One of my former managers at Pizza Hut has a family member (mother) who is in store management at that Target; the account was opened on my last day at Pizza Hut. :tinfoil: My credit monitoring has started showing credit applications popping up in my name as well, so I'm glad I got that 90 day initial fraud alert in place.

Now I just get to mail all the info to Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. And hope that a first class stamp is enough for 6 pages in each envelope.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I bought this.

What in the everliving gently caress

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah. He actually went on a mini rant that actually made me laugh a bit. He apologized and said he was just thinking out loud, my answer was "Don't worry about it. I've worked in plenty of call centers myself, and said far worse when I thought I'd hit the mute button".

In any event... I'm really hoping this will be the last I hear from Verizon Wireless about it. He mentioned he'd had his own identity stolen while he was deployed (former military), someone financed a Corvette in his name in a state he'd never been to.. and by the time he found out about it, it was way too late to do anything about it. Completely hosed his credit over. We discussed various credit monitoring services; he has Lifelock (:10bux: per month), I have Credit Sesame and Credit Karma (free). I also have Equifax's ID theft monitoring service, courtesy of the Target hack, but CS and CK usually report stuff within a few hours... while Equifax takes up to a week, sometimes longer (they still haven't reported some stuff that showed up on CS/CK 3 weeks ago). None of the above caught the Verizon account, since for whatever reason, nobody checked my credit or bothered to actually verify identity; there wasn't even a soft inquiry.

As I said, I've started seeing credit card applications showing up on Credit Karma and Credit Sesame. I just dropped letters in the mail to the big 3 credit reporting bureaus, including copies of the police report, and identifying information (each one wanted something a little different :argh: ) - if the bureaus do their job, I should have fraud alert emails popping up in my email from CK and CS within a week. And maybe from Equifax in a month or three. There's already a fraud alert on the big 3, yet they're still issuing denials based on creditworthiness, not on the fraud alerts. I think I may wind up having to actually freeze my credit for a bit, which will be a serious pain in the rear end next time I buy a car.

e: also, Equifax's "Identity Theft Protection" is loving worthless. They basically only answer the phone from 8a-6p pacific; when you do call during working hours, you sit on hold forever. There's no form on their website to mention "oh hey I don't work normal hours, but my ID got stolen and I can't reach you, HALP GODDAMNIT". Equifax's website in general is pretty terrible, and won't even let me purchase a credit report to view online (claims I don't answer any security questions properly, but I can order one by mail just fine).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 6, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Of course STR has gay stamps :v:

I haven't seen those yet, are they special-order or what?

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=S_472004

You may be able to get them at a post office too. I actually bought these intending to frame them (they were a "collector's release" and even came with an envelope and some info about Milk), but decided I needed the stamps.

Besides, maybe I'll piss someone off by using them.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just emailed my congressman complaining about overly-bright headlights; I guess I'm officially an old man now :v:

Every time I see a lovely HID conversion I'm filled with rage.....

because I can't see poo poo for the next 5 minutes.

Some of the newer stock headlights are blinding too. I'm looking at you, Audi, with your fancy LED headlights.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It is. Copper theft is huge in the valley (edit: and after some light reading I'm seeing it on the rise everywhere). My dad is a foreman on a local construction crew and they had to hire private security for builds while the copper was still exposed. Then after wards he's the one stuck on site until the entire workforce leaves so no one goes around shortening everything by an inch.

Edit again: Just remembered that a few years ago the laws changed so that scrap yards now have to report all purchases now, including seller information. It's pretty bonkers.

It's huge everywhere. Several public schools in DFW have had all of the copper ripped out of their RTUs (rooftop HVAC units) overnight. And god forbid you leave a building with a/c units abandoned.

I sold a bunch of copper to a scrapyard awhile back. Well, apparently "a bunch" to me meant very little to them, it was basically boxes and boxes of old power cords, an old box of 14/2 romex, etc. Even though it was about $50 worth, they didn't take my info. Though it was pretty obvious I hadn't stolen the poo poo, since it didn't include coils from an a/c unit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Dude is the loving king of crafty hiding spots. There's been several times now where we thought he'd gotten out, only to find him laying, say, on the dining room table behind a fake plant centerpiece, or curled up in a chair in the dining room (we never use that room), or on a table behind a lamp, under a couch, or in the master bedroom closet behind clothes... or between the side of the kitchen refrigerator and wall. :psyduck: He's only gotten out once, and I'd like to keep it that way.

He's also super quiet, and pretty much only vocalizes if his food bowl is empty.

We're supposed to get snow on Thursday. :woop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You aren't far off from the truth; apparently we had 9 earthquakes in the region today (6 actually within DFW). EVERYBODY PANIC

It felt like someone slammed the front door really hard a couple of times, the rest I didn't notice. :psyduck:

Also I just did something stupid.

I used to always dye my hair black, except for a few blonde experiments (ew). Haven't done it in a few years. We'll see how badly I hosed up once my hair dries. My hands look like I jacked off Papa Smurf, thanks to my goony hands being too big for the gloves that were included.

edit: forgot something funny. The owner of the store I work at was in the other day, and commented on my shoes. "Those are quite flashy shoes, what does DC stand for? Dolce and Gabbana?" I laughed until I realized he was serious.. got to explain the whole "I used to skate in my teens and 20s, and still prefer skate shoes; they're the most comfortable type of shoes I've ever worn, and I still like they way they look".

I'd probably fall off a board if I got on one now, it's been at least 8 years and 50 pounds since I touched one.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Next door neighbor got new carpet a week and a half ago.

There's been a pile of old carpet and padding piled up in their front yard for over a week. Judging by the pile, they only redid a few rooms.

We had 30+ mph gusts today. Half of that poo poo is now in my front yard, with some in another neighbor's yard, and in the street.

I get it, you got the lowest bidder to do the job, but for fucks sake, you have a SUV in your garage, a mid-size sedan out front, bulk trash pickup isn't for another 2 weeks, and there's a garbage transfer station 2 miles away that will take anything that isn't hazardous waste if you show a current water/trash bill (I've taken plenty of poo poo up there). If the installers were able to fit all of the new poo poo in an early 90s Sentra, you can definitely fit it into your Hyundai, and most certainly into the Acura SUV.

Normally I'm on good terms with this neighbor, but he was a bit of an rear end when I asked him to please collect his carpet from my yard, the hood of my car, and the street.. and there was still carpet in my yard 10 hours later when I got home. So gently caress it, the city has a website to submit code violations/complaints.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 8, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

West SAAB Story posted:

ProTip gor DIYers: If you can buy the screen with the frame, do so. It makes a much easier repair with less chance of getting literally broken crap from China.

How difficult is it to do the job on a Nexus 5? My screen is intact, but it has a couple of scratches that are bugging the poo poo out of me. It could definitely use a new battery soon too, it's really showing its age (gets charged twice a day due to the constant GPS usage).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's what I was afraid of.. and I don't have a backup phone, so if something goes wrong, I'm hosed until I can get it fixed. The power button has been increasingly difficult to get to respond (at least while in the case),so it'll need to be opened up sooner or later either way. It's literally a week out of warranty at this point too. :sigh:

If the battery itself is easy, then I'll definitely swap it myself. I've been thinking of getting one of those portable battery packs that can top off your phone, but I'd rather just fix the issue once and for all instead of carrying chargers everywhere.

I'm giving serious thought to buying either a cheap Nexus 4, or finding a Moto G, just to keep around as backups. Kind of regretting getting rid of the 4 for that exact reason (even though meatpimp gave me more than a fair trade on it). It's one of those things you don't think about until "oh poo poo, there's a crack in the screen, and it's a combined LCD and digitizer, so most of the touch screen is dead now".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

£800 for that just seems too good to be true. Even with the poo poo photos, it looks like it's been wrecked - the hood gaps are different from side to side. But for that price, it's tempting.

Also jealous that we never got the diesel version in the states.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I did an oopsie at work.

That's... about 3 or 4 gallons of freshly made pizza sauce. Tried to hold the bucket while opening the cooler door. I got the door open.

Thank gently caress the owner had taken the GM to lunch. The GM thought it was funny, the owner would have ripped me a new rear end in a top hat if he'd been there.

The owner's nephew was the one helping me clean it up though.. and had made that batch of sauce.

In 15 years (off and on) of this poo poo, I've NEVER dropped sauce. Ever. Ever. Ever. The one time I do, it's half a batch of fresh made sauce that took 30 minutes of labor to make (plus the mixer doing its mixing magic). I've dropped drat near everything else, but never sauce.

That took nearly an hour to clean up, between literally shoveling the sauce into a bucket, wiping down all of the walls (.. and shoes.. and pants.. and shelves), wiping down the cooler door, and mopping a million times to get it all up. And that's with 3 of us cleaning.

:cripes:

Thankfully, I'm not the first to have done this, judging by similar stains on the inside of the cooler door. But it got me kicked up a bit on the shitlist.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We don't have jamaican jerk sauce. :( But we do have cheddar, chicken, and sweet chili sauce. I'm pretty sure I could bring in some jamaican jerk sauce and make a pizza of my own after hours, as long as I pay for the (employee discounted) cheese pizza version.. Unfortunately, we don't have habanero sauce of any kind, so jalapenos would have to go with it.

I've had Jamaican Jerk Chicken tacos at a nearby taco place... complete with habanero sauce. The first half of the taco tasted amazing. I'm pretty sure the rest of it did too, I just couldn't taste anything (or feel most of my face).

wallaka posted:

That's a bunch of pizza sauce. Goddamn. I spilled a can of chocolate shell in a Dairy Queen once, but this is an order of magnitude more.

That can of chocolate was probably about a gallon.. This was 8 cans (probably about 1 gallon each), plus 3 cans of water, plus seasoning, all mixed up. I dropped half of the batch. As usual, when I gently caress up, I gently caress up good. This is my first real fuckup at this place. :sigh:

freelop posted:

Asda does a really nice BBQ pizza sauce in a jar and it is cheap too.

We have a fantastic BBQ chicken pizza - but the sauce is Sweet Baby Rays's BBQ sauce (available in any grocery store around here), plus chicken, bacon, and red onion.

It's by far my favorite pizza at any pizza place, but it belongs on thin crust, with lots of cheddar. And I'll probably need insulin afterwards. Totally worth it.

Off topic: went into the Racetrac (gas station/convenience store) across from work last night. Different hair color, different glasses, didn't have a hat on. I'm in there daily, and the cashier I usually deal with noticed something was "different". When I mentioned I dyed my hair solid black, he said "... you did? I thought it was always black." (it's naturally dark brown, with a bit of grey). Mentioned the glasses... "that must be it". Mentioned the hat... "you wear a hat?". Not sure if I was being trolled, or if he'd spent long enough in retail not to notice that poo poo anymore. I know I didn't notice different hats, glasses, or even hair colors, on my regulars when I worked at Whole Foods, even the ones I was on a first name basis with.

e: have a picture of STR catte trying to blend in with an old Pizza Hut pizza bag.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 9, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

angryhampster posted:

I'm sorry but this image made me chortle a bit.

The mental image of you trying to save the bucket as it falls, to the moment of "well drat" once you realized it had fallen.

That's why I posted it. :v: I'd rather be able to laugh at a fuckup instead of kicking myself over it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally got on the tinder bandwagon.

Mother of god, there's some insanely hot guys on there. :gizz: Another reason to lose weight and get in shape.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

If you have a Samsung phone, get Nova Launcher. It fixes a lot of stability problems. aCar is the app to have if you want to know what you spend on maintenance and track fuel mileage. Simple Calendar Widget is great for letting you know what events are in your calendar. Racing Elements is a neat weather widget with cool F1 photos. Google Keep is great for making notes that sync to Chrome.

Nova Launcher is what I'd used for years until Android 5.0 came out. The stock launcher is actually drat good with (AOSP) 5.0's default launcher, aside from being stuck in portrait mode. I may switch back to Nova soon though, I'd like it to work in landscape mode.

aCar is good, but I just use fuelly's mobile site to track mileage, and use GM's Owner Center to keep track of other expenses - it's got just enough functionality to let me enter mileage, cost, work done, and notes, and (usually) recall/dealer work performed gets added automatically. It would suck to lose all of your records if you lost/broke the phone.

Agreed on Google Keep - I use it to keep track of tons of poo poo, from gate codes for apartment complexes (for work) to shopping lists. Though it syncs to http://keep.google.com - not Chrome itself.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I can't believe the amount of heat girls put next to their head in the name of beauty.

A lot of guys (like me) use heat devices on their hair too. :colbert: Though mine is the opposite of a curling iron - I use a flat iron to straighten my hair.

My flat iron can hit 400F+ (I usually use the 350 setting). It stings a :airquote: little :airquote: if you hit your neck or scalp with it... for a few days. :saddowns:

I'm actually decent with soldering as long as it's not itty bitty poo poo; my hands have always been a little shaky.

leica posted:

[edit] gently caress, says my device isn't compatible with Nova.

You can always find the APK, copy it to the phone, and install a file manager. You'll have to go into the security settings and turn on "allow installation from unknown sources", then use the file manager to install it. I'ts been a looooooong time since I used Gingerbread though, so you may not even have to do the security settings. This is called "sideloading".

Though after looking up what the Galaxy Player actually is, I'd say you paid about :20bux: too much for it. It does look like it actually has somewhat of a development community though; people have even modified Android 5.0.x to work on it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-player - Cyanogenmod is always a solid (and lightweight) ROM to use, though which one you can use depends on which version of the Galaxy Player you have (4.0 or 5.0 - go into settings -> About Phone and look at the model #, then google the model #).

Alarbus posted:

If you're only installing things from the Google Play Store, you don't need an anti virus, and you no longer need task killers either. Beyond whatever social media apps, I have Awful, Kindle, Netflix, and Chrome, really. I don't really play games, it's web or media. I stored some movies in memory, so I have VLC too, in case the tablet battery dies while flying somewhere.

Gingerbread is old enough that a task killer is actually still a somewhat valid option, but most popular apps are well behaved enough that you don't need one.

I have a fuckton of apps on my phone. AdAway, several news apps, Amazon, Kindle, Barcode Scanner, Chrome, a couple of local TV station apps, Doggcatcher for my podcasts, Dash, Dropbox, Endomondo, Fitbit, GasBuddy, Glooko, Kroger, Magic Fluids (fun as gently caress when you're :2bong: ), Nest (for my thermostat), MS Office Mobile (plus a Bluetooth keyboard), Netflix, Plex, Runkeeper, Roku, Slacker Radio, Tapped Out, Tinder, Grindr, Titanium Backup, Tunein Radio, Vine, Wallet, Zombies Run, Yelp..... (and I'm skipping a whole lot there). There's a bunch that I rarely use, but I can't justify removing them since I actually do use them all every month or so.

West SAAB Story posted:

Meet with hospice nurse today. She estimates time left as under two weeks. The last three days of clarity have been the best present I could have hoped for. I still have problems not feeding someone just because they don't ask for food. I can logically understand how the systems are shutting down, and can no longer process it- but at the same time, my internal instincts scream at me to do otherwise.

I really want to get completely blotto tonight, but I am the driver, emotional support, and the new cornerstone. poo poo.

I don't envy you at all right now. My grandmother went downhill a lot slower (over several years), then in a few weeks went from at least semi lucid to heart attack, to ignored by the local EMS when the hospice called in the heart attack (they tried to refuse to transport her, and argued with the nurses for over 10 minutes about transporting), to eventually getting transported, to dead 2 days later (the day after her birthday). I'm not sure which is worse - quick, or being able to hold on to them for a bit longer.

Either way... :glomp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

West SAAB Story posted:

Thanks, man. Your offer of assistance was shared, and greatly appreciated. I would bump the SAMart thread, but it is archived.

Meh, I'm putting the original mirror back in anyway. The non-OnStar one I put in has the reflective portion delaminating from the glass. I don't plan on ever reactivating OnStar, but at this point, I may as well just keep everything I need to return it 100% to stock.

I'll probably toss the non-OnStar mirror on eBay for someone who's managed to break their original.

In any event, you know how to get ahold of me if you need to talk or get poo poo off your chest.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FWIW, I took on a hard sideswipe from an (empty, but with a trailer) 18 wheeler in a 95 Civic.

I was really, really shocked at how well the car held up. Every piece of glass (including the sunroof) that wasn't on the passenger side cracked or spiderwebbed, or outright shattered, and the door was pushed in about a foot (which pushed the seat over a bit, plus pushed in the B pillar, wrinkled the floor pan, and buckled the dash) - but the door still opened and closed just fine, and the car still drove afterwards. Not very well, mind you - the PS pump got crushed, LR wheel rubbed the quarter panel, and the chassis was bent enough that the trunk wouldn't close anymore (and the exhaust stuck out in the middle instead of on the right), which also resulted in having to hold the steering wheel more than upside down to go straight - but I walked away with only bruises and some cuts from broken glass. And drove it home. I had some pretty horrible whiplash and bruises, but walking away from that...

The truck had some damage too - almost ripped the running boards off on one side, cracked the fender, dented the passenger side fuel tank. But if 1995 standards left me with injuries that didn't even require a doctor's visit, newer standards should be worlds better.

The accident was 100% my fault. Back right tire blew out, tried to pull over onto the shoulder, right side dropped onto the dirt, rear end end decided "hey I wanna wag my tail", I did a noob overcorrect, next thing I know there's glass everywhere, some blood, and I'm sideways half on the shoulder, half on the access road. Also a very pissed off driver screaming at me while I'm trying to grab my front bumper from the middle of a highway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Noticed an annoying bug with the ROM I'm using. Not sure if it's Android 5.x itself, or just the alpha of SlimLP, but if I charge it overnight on the wireless charger, once it finishes charging, it stops taking power from the wireless charger (this was an issue with the Nexus 4, but the Nexus 5 had it working fine). Android 4.4 would keep the battery topped off the entire time it was on the charger; I wake up to the charger's light showing that it's still charging, but the battery stats show it finished charging hours ago and started draining afterwards. Usually wake up to it around 85%.

The wireless charger doesn't charge as fast as actually plugging it in via USB, but it's drat convenient to just drop my phone on a little pad on the desk when I go to bed, and grab it when I wake up.

meatpimp posted:

Speaking of cheap -- if anyone is looking for a set of cheap Rhino Ramps, Advance has Rhino Gear RhinoRamp MAX right now for $55 with a $20 promo code: TRT25 , taking them to $35. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/rhino-gear-rhinoramp-max-11912/10157442-P?searchTerm=rhinoramp+max

Damned cheap if you need some ramps.

Damnit, the only store with them in-stock is an hour away.. and shipping is $17.

Autozone had some Rhino Gear ramps on sale for $39.99 recently. Not sure if they're the same ones.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Weeeell, the two graphics cards and the 32GB ram are what drove up the cost mostly.

RAM is expensive these days; I'm still kicking myself for not going up to 16GB when I built this system. But even the 8GB I have now is overkill for most stuff; it's not until I have Photoshop, Lightroom, Windows Media Center, and 20 tabs open when I start notice it slowing down.

My GTX 650 Ti SSC handles about anything I throw at it just fine; but my power supply says "gently caress this" and shuts off after a few minutes if I fire up Crysis in high detail. :sigh: I don't game much though (and when I do, it's either BF4 or the various versions of CounterStrike), so a beefier power supply is pretty low on my list.

Galler posted:

If you're feeling saucy then get the 'K' edition i5 and a decent cooler and OC it up to 4.2-4.5GHz (probably higher but that might require a bit of effort).

I have an i5-2500k (3.3 GHz stock). I had it at 4.4 GHz for over 2 years, until I swapped the BIOS out for UEFI. It won't even boot above 4.2 since then. With the old BIOS, I could even do 4.6 GHz if I bumped the voltage up a bit, but stability suffered.

UEFI boots so much quicker though. Cold power on to desktop is 15 seconds - and 5 seconds of that is the motherboard initializing and detecting all the drives as far as I can tell (the Gigabyte logo shows up briefly after 5 seconds, then the Win8 logo, then the desktop). I have 5 SATA devices, I assume if it was just 1 or 2 it may be a little quicker. And I honestly don't notice the difference in losing 200 MHz unless I'm converting videos into different formats (and the difference is really not that big).

Ferremit posted:

It depends on your monitor too- its a LOT more work for a PC to push 2550x1440 on a 27" screen than it is to push 1920x1280 on a 22" screen. I've got a 2600K i7 and a 770GTX with 16GB of ram and it does NOT like pushing 2550x1440 in Battlefield 4 at ultra graphics

It's not the screen size that matters, it's the resolution. The video card couldn't give two shits about the physical size of the monitors. But yeah, 2550x1440 is a lot of work even for the newest cards.

T1g4h posted:

Hell, I've got an i5 3570K, 8GB of RAM, and a 2.5GB GDDR5 GTX 570 HD

I considered upgrading to the 3570k; my motherboard can handle it, but from everything I read, it's not a huge upgrade over the 2500k (and doesn't overclock as well).

If I get a decent tax refund this year (I don't think I will, I made quite a bit more than I thought I would, so I'll probably wind up having to repay part of my insurance subsidy), I may go ahead and upgrade to the latest Intel i5. It'd just require a new CPU and motherboard (mine can handle an Ivy Bridge CPU, but not Haswell). Mom's PC is a homebuilt i3 Sandy Bridge, so she'll get a free i5 upgrade when I finally upgrade.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 11, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've never been able to top 4.5 GHz on this chip (same one, i5-2500k) while being stable, but I'm running air cooling (Cooler Master Hyper 212+). But it doesn't seem to be a heat issue, it won't even try to boot above 4.6. And the UEFI that replaced the BIOS caps it around 4.2 GHz (it won't boot reliably at 4.3 with the UEFI). It's either just a chip from a batch that doesn't handle higher speeds, or the motherboard doesn't like it. Even under light load, it's not stable at 4.6, with some BSODs. 4.5 on the original bios? No problem all day every day. 4.6? Good luck even getting into the BIOS.

I've only tried bumping the voltage slightly; Gigabyte boards are already aggressive with cranking up the voltage on their own anyway, and supposedly don't have the best voltage regulation. I'm at stock voltage and 4.2; I was stock voltage @ 4.4 until switching to UEFI from the traditional BIOS. I do notice a decent difference if I drop it down to stock speeds, but the difference between 4.2 and 4.4 isn't noticeable to me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 11, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This case has room for 5 case fans - all 120mm. Two I assume would be intake (1 bottom, 1 front), 3 for exhaust (2 top, 1 back). Plus the PSU mounts at the bottom, with its own fan opening.

I had two top exhaust fans for awhile, but one of them got noisy as hell. Down to just the front intake fan (which also cools the drives) and 1 top exhaust fan. Air coming out is within 1-2 degrees of room temp, and the HDDs make more noise than the fans (including the 120mm CPU fan).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

Probably your ROM. Are you using the stock kernel that comes with SlimLP or another custom kernel?

Am I the only one here that has a AMD processor? I'm still rocking a 1090T hexcore because for whatever reason I haven't been able to justify a new rig and pull the trigger. Will probably do that after the Broadwell update.

It's the SlimLP kernel.

I'm suspecting it's a kernel issue, but I wasn't using my wireless charger much at all on stock Android 5.0. There hasn't been a new nightly of Slim in almost 3 weeks; I may try another kernel to see if that fixes anything.

I've had some odd stuttering issues with music/video playback on every ROM I've tried except the stock image as well; I may go ahead and revert back to (rooted) stock and wait for XDA to catch up a bit. It drives me nuts when I'm driving and streaming music.

My last build was an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+; this i5 replaced it. And the only upgrading I really see myself needing is more HDD space (because ~3.5TB isn't enough :rolleyes: ). And maybe doubling the RAM.

rscott posted:

Nowadays it just doesn't seem like overclocking is worth it, PCs haven't been held back by CPUs/GPUs except in high resolution video games for years now. Flash storage technology finally maturing to give us durable and cheap SSDs have been the greatest boon to having a computer that feels "fast" since going from single core to dual core imo

You really aren't kidding. I do notice a difference when I go back to stock speeds (3.3 GHz) on this chip, but it's not really that significant except when gaming. Going to a SSD made this thing feel like a god damned supercomputer; most of my usage is web-based stuff, and it really feels like I'm just waiting on whatever web server to respond more than anything. Anything and everything that's on the SSD loads pretty much instantly, even Photoshop opens in under 5 seconds, Lightroom takes maybe half a second longer.

My first PC was a 286, 8 MHz, 640k RAM, 20MB HDD (IDE instead of MFM or RLL, looking back that's pretty surprising), DUAL 720k 3.5" floppy drives (no 1.44MB floppies for this bad boy!) with Tandy video (basically a cross between CGA and EGA). Today, my loving watch has more processing power, storage, and RAM, and my phone is more powerful than most of the PCs I've owned. And I had two computers before that PC (Apple II+ with expanded RAM and two floppy drives that was a hand-me-down from my dad's accounting firm, and a Tandy Color Computer 3).

thinking out loud via typing: I wonder if someone could ever dig up the source code for Telegard or Renegade and port it to Android. Run a BBS out of your pocket. :corsair:

Geirskogul posted:

I ran an intel 3.4 Ghz ES (engineering sample) P4 for something like 6 years. I wonder how much electricity I wasted.

I have a 2.8 P4 in the next room that exists solely to act as a DVR and TV tuner.

It sometimes doesn't go to sleep on its own (despite not having a keyboard or mouse on it; only input is an IR receiver). I should toss my Kill-A-Watt on it and see how much power it actually pulls; I'm sure it's significantly more than my i5.

keykey posted:

I just upgraded my machine 2 months ago for the first time in 9 years. I built it this time with energy effeciency in mind. I cut my over wattage from 560 watts to 375. As a result it's also quieter. The only thing I really splurged on was a GTX 780 which I got at Fry's for $275.

Take that PSU back and get your money back. It's going to fall over and burst into flames the first time you try to actually use that video card (well, it'll at least overheat and shut off.. if you're lucky) - nVidia's official spec sheet states the GPU alone can pull 250 watts, and they recommend a minimum PSU of 600 watts. Running even the best power supplies at 100% load consistently will kill them dead in a hurry, and that video card alone will pull 67% of available power if you fire up something like Crysis (assuming 100% of that power is on the 12 volt rail - which it isn't).

It's not like the PSU is pulling 100% power 24/7, it only pulls as much power as it needs. And the wattage is on the output side, on all 3 rails combined (3.3, 5, 12, with the majority on the 12V rail on modern units). The efficiency varies depending upon the PSU design, and also on how much of a load is on it, but even a low end name brand PSU will be certified "Bronze" (80% efficiency).

I have issues with my 500 watt PSU saying "gently caress you" and shutting off if I fire up something extremely graphics intensive (Crysis is always a good example), with a GTX 650 Ti.

My PC is barely audible with it on my desk - I'm sitting less than arm's length away from it right now, and can barely hear the front intake fan (which will get swapped for a SilenX pretty soon). Anything that causes a lot of disk activity drowns out the fan noise, and these are pretty quiet drives (all Hitachi; two 7200 RPM, one 5400 RPM).

InitialDave posted:

Yes, but only in a limited sense for the US stuff. Explorer was V6 only, for example.

The majority of Explorers here are also V6. I know even when the 2nd gens were new, I rarely ever saw a V8 model (1st gen was V6 only).

T-Square posted:

*knocks on wood*

E: Holy poo poo, forgot the new season of Archer started this week. Aw yeah.

You can knock all you want :quagmire:; I have the same boner for new episodes of Archer.

But seriously, I had no idea until I'd looked at the poo poo Windows Media Center's DVR has snagged - I was surprised when I saw a new episode of Archer sitting on my PC.

Rhyno posted:

Eh, I'm open to new experiences.

... go on.

West SAAB Story posted:

Welp, not much else I can do here. The bitch is going to continue to force feeding him until his bowels burst (he can't process food or fluids), and she will continue to refuse to give him pain meds that he should have ever hour. Nothing that I can legally do. Time to go home.

Goddamn. :glomp: Anything you can do through the court system? Hopefully this might help in some way.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 12, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How the hell did I sleep 14 hours. Wasted an entire day off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm reasonably happy with the rx-safety prescription goggles I got, and I managed to lose my prescription sunglasses during some last-minute Christmas shopping. I need to sit down and take some measurements off of my regular glasses and try ordering those as well.

Is there really anything vision insurance covers other than eye exams and glasses? Even on the with-insurance rate, the price I paid for my last set of glasses was stupid high and I'd be way better off just ditching the insurance, getting my exams done at Costco for ~$60, and ordering my glasses online.

FWIW, in my own experience, "vision insurance" really seems to just pre-pay for an exam and cheap glasses every year. If you look at the limits, they're pretty close to what you're paying in premiums. The only way it made sense for me is at one employer (Whole Foods), they put $1800/year on a flexible spending account for me - which can only be used for glasses, prescriptions, OTC medications, etc (basically anything related to medical, vision, or dental). My last set of glasses (in 2009), after insurance, was still nearly $300, which the FSA covered.

I went to the eye doctor attached to VisionWorks in a local mall to get an RX last year - my medical insurance knocks $10 off of exams through them, so I think I paid something like $40 or $50 for the exam. Ordered my first pair of glasses through Zenni Optical, and while they got the lenses right, the frames were cast really badly (one hinge was barely inside the plastic casting). They did replace the frames without much of a hassle. Second and third pair came from optical4less.com (using the SA-Mart coupon code). Took about the same amount of time, and their Rayban knockoffs really do make good sunglasses. Zenni now has a US office, and bills in USD, but they're still made in China; opitcal4less is based in Hong Kong (I actually got the exact same cases for each pair of glasses from both companies, just a different insert) and shows USD prices, but bills in HKD. I got hit with a small conversion fee (1%) by my bank for a ~$70 order, so you might want to check with your bank about conversion fees.

If anything, optical4less orders arrive quicker. Zenni has a lot more options for frames (and a much better website), but you have to wait for the glasses to be shipped to California, then shipped to you. The bridge and width measurements will be the most important (and will be printed on your existing glasses). The temple isn't quite as important (if it's too long, they just stick past your ears a bit), but if the bridge is too wide, they just slide off nonstop. Including shipping, I'm in for less than $150 for 3 pairs of glasses (1 from Zenni, 2 from optical4less; Zenni's were plastic frames, optical4less was 1 metal frame with regular lenses, 1 Rayban knockoff with dark tint for sunglasses, all with every coating option they have except for mirror; scratch, reflective, water-repelling, oil-repelling).

Both also offer safety glasses.

I know Viggen can chime in on optical4less as well, and I'm pretty sure he has the same Rayban knockoffs for sunglasses. My only gripe is one I thought I'd never have - they're almost too dark. I went with the darkest option available, and they're much, much darker than my Oakleys were. You can also order polarized and mirror coatings, though the mirror coatings from both Zenni and O4L are straight out of Miami Vice. I've found polarized coatings don't play nice with whatever tint my car has (my Oakleys were polarized, I haven't tried that option with Zenni or O4L); everything looks like a drat rainbow through every tinted rainbow. I'm guessing it's metallic tint, since it's likely as old as the car (I'm the 2nd owner, but its original sale was in October 2005, and it was probably a dealer demo car from what I can tell from the mileage when it was first titled), and has yet to fade or bubble.

The downside is if they don't fit right, you can't just walk into where you bought them to get them reshaped. The metal frames are easy enough to reshape yourself; the plastic ones will need a hair dryer or heat gun to reshape (and you'll need that annoying narrow nozzle that everyone throws away unless you want to distort the lenses).

[/rant]

Propaganda Bob posted:

55k original miles. No, really. Guy had a logbook of maintenance and mileage going back to the original purchase. I didn't really care for the wheels in the pictures either, but they do look a lot better in person and aren't quite as obnoxiously chrome. As for the paint it's a metallic charcoal and is pretty flawless. It looks really good in the sun.

You found a unicorn. Seriously. I'd be really concerned about seals, gaskets, hoses, etc being dried out and deciding "I need to take a leak", but if it's really 55k, it should drive like it's brand new. Might want to look at the tires and see how old they are (there's a DOT code that reads WWYY - i.e. 3506 would be week 35 of 2006, IIRC), and see if there's much dryrot on them.

What happened to the original lights though? :barf:

mafoose posted:

Had a fight with the fiancé over some stupid poo poo, found out about how deep and hosed up bipolarism runs in my family, then learned that my great aunt passed away from pneumonia.

Goddamn that's it for all my grandparents. We Mexicans might age well, but we don't age long.

:glomp: Sorry man.

Cut back on the lard, it might help with the longevity. I somewhat kid, but I spent the first 19 years of my life in a border town, and I'm more familiar with Mexican food than American food. As for not aging long - my best friend growing up, his father died in his early 50s, from Alzheimers. His parents immigrated to El Paso from Juarez when they were in their teens or 20s. His mom's still alive and well, thankfully.

mariooncrack posted:

Probably your ROM. Are you using the stock kernel that comes with SlimLP or another custom kernel?

Following up on this. It's gotta be a kernel issue. I switched to a modified kernel today, and it's been on the wireless charger for a bit. It's been sitting at 100% for over an hour now. Only gripe is the screen turns on for a split second every few minutes while it's charging, but that may be because I have tap to wake enabled (going to disable it in a few, it's a battery hog anyway).

For Nexus 5 users on Lollipop, this is the kernel I'm using now. Performance is night and day even out of the box; Tapped Out is actually smooth (even though it's still on the Xmas/New Years version, which has plenty of snow and moving sprites on the screen) instead of 5 fps.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 13, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A gnat's hair away from $10 to fill up from half a tank.

I can deal with this.

Adiabatic posted:

They were calling 4160V "Medium Voltage" in the meeting today :psypop:

Technically, 4160V is medium voltage, when it comes to generation and transmission. Most of the lines you see along city streets are either 7kV or 13.2kV.

This lists IEEE standards for low/medium/high/etc.

e: VVV holy gently caress, we posted the exact same thing?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 14, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

There's something like that here in North Texas, but the only location is almost an hour away. Oh, and they closed in June, according to the website, supposedly to reopen some time. Oh, well.

There's one in Denton.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GODDAMNIT STOP loving WITH THE FONTS

Got all my W2's. Looks like Pizza Hut never setup my withholding correctly; they withheld a whole $700 last year for federal taxes :wtc:. Watched my refund go from high triple digits to $38 in TurboTax once that W2 got imported; I guess I didn't notice last year because I got a huge education credit. And my income was higher than I estimated for my medical insurance subsidy, so I'm going to wind up having to repay some of that. I'm waiting for healthcare.gov to come back up so I can get the last form I need for my taxes, I think I'm going to wind up owing a little bit for the subsidy.

leica posted:

drat I've had good luck lately with craigslist, just sold a bunch of poo poo for the asking prices with no haggling, and just picked up a set of Yakima towers, crossbars and cargo carrier for $130 in like new condition because I ended up knowing the guy that was selling it! Now all I need is a hitch and hitch mount bike rack and the Camry is ready for camping hells yeah gently caress SUV's.

The last time I sold something on Craigslist, I actually made a small profit.

A kit lens, of all things. I had priced it expecting some haggling (I bought the body without a lens, but found the matching kit lens the same day to tide me over until I could get a prime AF-S lens). Got it nice and clean, threw up a couple of decent photos, guy paid asking price for it. Which was :20bux: more than I paid for it.

Fucknag posted:

e: god dammit they are loving WITH THE STYLE SHEETS AGAIN

I got a pretty nasty headache just reading 2 pages of the thread. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

I haven't even started working on my taxes but if dealing with healthcare.org is a new step I am suddenly really dreading this experience.

Well, I wound up getting myself locked out of my account.

Three times.

:suicide:

I'd forgotten I had my account tied to a rarely-used email account (one I use so rarely that it's not in my email client - my original account on healthcare.gov was before they added the "burn it to the ground, start this poo poo from scratch" feature, and it got locked into a loop of the same questions every time I logged in - their own call center said I should just start fresh with a new account and use a different email address - this was when the site first went live). The first person I talked to tonight (this morning?) was curt, but got it unlocked... but since I forgot which email it was tied to, I got myself locked back out when the reset password email didn't show up in the account I expected it to show up in.

Just had a very pleasant conversation with one of their call center reps. I'm sure I murdered his average call handle time, since both of us kept bullshitting about cars, identity theft, computers, call center hell, etc (including his experience driving big trucks across the western half of the US for several years), but it was relatively painless, and frankly, a pretty enjoyable conversation with a total stranger. He did suggest I try the temporary password while we were on the phone - which took me to a reset password screen (which also requested the same temp password) - and I got locked out again when I entered the same temporary password. Yay for multiple systems that don't synchronize immediately! He reset it again, then suggested I wait 24 hours, and said he'd seen the same poo poo happen plenty before. There's so much clusterfuck behind the hundreds of systems that make it all work that I'm amazed it works at all.

You'll only need paperwork from healthcare.gov if you had subsidized insurance. I need to both upload my W2's to them (so they can adjust my subsidy), and download a form to file with my taxes.

My taxes are done except for that form. Thanks to the whole ID theft fiasco, I'd prefer to get them filed ASAFP (and I may still wind up having to file by paper anyway - I had to contact both the IRS and social security administration about the ID theft - at the least, I'll have to use a PIN that they mail every year for the next 5-7 years to file). The lovely part is I overshot my estimated income by about $3k, so I'll have to repay some amount of the subsidy. I doubt it'll be more than $100-200 though; I was getting ~$250/month in subsidies. Still am, but my insurance premium went up by $15/month, I assume because BCBS has a better idea of what their claims will be.

I was making GBS threads myself thinking I hadn't made enough to qualify for the subsidy, until I looked closer at my last few pizza hut paystubs. Everywhere I've ever worked that involved tips would show a YTD for tips, or lump the tips in with your gross pay on your stubs (but taxes are handled a bit differently). My stubs from the Hut only showed the tips I'd reported for the pay period, and didn't include it in gross pay. Even Jet's includes it in my gross pay in my paystub, as did Papa John's and Domino's.

Pizza Hut only withheld a bit under $800 in federal taxes.... for $17k gross, and I seem to remember being pissed about it last year (and filling out a new W4 to fix it) too. And I know drat well I filled out my W4 properly. Completely wiped out the refund I had coming from everything else.

Rhyno posted:

#beardpride

My boss wears a #beardpride bracelet. :cripes:

The upside to this, at work anyway: I only have to shave when my neck starts itching like hell. Which is usually twice a month. I hate how I look with any facial hair, but I hate shaving more. Boss has shaved once since I've worked here.

Found out last night that some obscure magazine voted us "Best Pizza in DFW", which I find hard to believe. It's the best pizza you're going to get from any chain for sure, and everything is made fresh (dough, sauce, even the cheese is shredded every day), but there's some hole in the walls that blow us away. I think we're up to 4 or 5 locations in DFW, but only 3 are owned by this franchise.

quote:

welder :words:

We had one of our dough racks pulled out of the cooler today. I noticed the funny angle it was sitting at, it definitely had a funny lean going, even though it had cross bracing on the back side, plus braces at the top and bottom.

I'm pretty sure if you gave me about an hour or two of practice with a welder, I could fart out better welds. And I'm sure the store paid several hundred for that piece of poo poo.

e: holy mother of gently caress, STR catte #2 just jumped in my lap, ripped rear end, and took off. My eyes are watering and I can barely breathe. His name may soon be changed from The Dude to Stinky Fucker.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 15, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stepdad's birthday was yesterday. I gave him a $50 Walmart gift card for his birthday. He bitched and said it might help with groceries for a day. Thanks rear end in a top hat, that was 1.5 days of tips to pay for that.

When mom asked him to help her clean the kitchen up after she made one hell of a birthday feast, he yelled "don't even loving start, I have to be up at 5am" and slammed the bedroom door in her face. Locked out of her own bedroom, she's sleeping in the guest bedroom. Then I get asked how much I put on the card, I tell her, and I get a new rear end in a top hat ripped into me over it. Also, it's almost 7am, he's still asleep.

I'm caught in the middle. I have just barely enough to get a cheap motel (Motel 6 or similar) for a day or two. Think I'm gonna sleep a couple of hours and go check into the really nice Motel 6 Suites across town; they're only $5/day more than the normal Motel 6, and have a full kitchen. Or maybe run up to Denton and hang out with my old roommate for a couple of days.

Sorry for the e/n rant. Stepdad is always a huge rear end in a top hat for at least a week after his "low T" shot. He got it 2 days ago.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thegasman2000 posted:

Looks like I am going bankrupt this year! Woo gently caress 2015 indeed.

Mom did a chapter 7 last year; it was finalized in early December.

Go for it. It may seem embarrassing as hell, but she had about 75k of debt disappear instantly. It helped that the one lawyer a debtor sent showed up 30 minutes late (JP Morgan), after they'd already moved on to the next case. It also helped that her assets consisted of a house, furniture, an 11 year old car, and clothing - no investments, no retirement. She has to be careful about earnings for about a year, and anything she sells (i.e. can't sell the house), but otherwise the debt is basically gone.

Get a good lawyer, read up on your state's laws (Texas is one of the best to do a BK in, your house and 1 vehicle per person of driving age is exempt, along with livestock, 30k in personal property, clothing, anything related to making a living, TV, etc), and possibly profit if debt collectors try to collect on discharged debt. It's $500 per violation of the FDCPA, and you can easily rack up 20+ in one call. TX is a one party consent state (meaning only one person has to be aware that the call is being recorded); the lawyers have already paid for themselves and then some from the lawsuits against the collectors. Texas also applies the FDCPA to first party collectors instead of only third party.

mariooncrack posted:

$50 isn't enough for a gift card? What the hell. I'd be super happy if I got that. What is he eating or the house eating that costs like $50 a day?

By low t, do you mean testosterone?

Nailed it. He gets shots once a month, and turns into a gigantic rear end in a top hat for about 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks he just sleeps when he's off work. I'm all for most aspects of modern medicine, but "Low T" treatment has gotten out of control. There's so many lawsuits popping up over it causing heart attacks and such; I know half of it is ambulance chasers, but he has serious roid rage for at least a week after his shot.

He's honestly the king of coupons and sales, and Wal-Mart has their app that refunds any sale price differences to an e-gift card; there's a neighborhood market (Wal-Mart's version of a grocery store) just up the street. I scan all of the receipts into my account, and every month I'll go with him so they can enter the barcode from my phone. So it seemed like a Wal-Mart gift card would be perfect. :confused: He honestly seemed offended that I got him a gift card; I live day to day on tips, so it's kind of hard for me to plan anything over $50 outside of my car payment, car insurance, and cable/internet. I don't even pretend to know what kind of clothing he likes, and I know I personally prefer getting a gift card over clothing or anything else I may or may not like. For example, the only item of clothing my family has ever bought me for a gift that I liked has been a couple of pairs of boxers... in my 36 years on this planet. I have a stack of clothes that have been in my closet for 10+ years that I've worn maybe once or twice.

Irony: when I first signed up for my medical insurance (an HMO, meaning I get assigned to one primary care doctor, who has to make referrals to other doctors for me), they assigned me to a doctor who operated out of "Low T Center" (even though I'd requested a specific doctor). A doctor that had no interest in general or family practice. It took over a month of back and forth between my insurance to tell them no, this is not the doctor I selected, and no, this doctor does not do general practice. It finally took a letter from that doctor saying "hey assholes, I don't do GP or family practice, I only deal with guys who think they have small testicles, and btw, I no longer accept your insurance" to get their attention.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

I have a house now, but perhaps I could have still gotten a house six years after declaring. I don't know.

You could have had a house 6 months after declaring, easily; the banks all know you can't declare for another 7 years, and throw out all kinds of insane offers (with above average APRs though) - they know they can easily repo if you miss a single payment. Mom's been getting nonstop letters in the mail about "special post-bankruptcy financing" from every dealer, ranging from KIa to Lexus. She's on the fence about keeping her Avalon (mostly because the 1MZ-FE is pissing oil everywhere), but its value has already bottomed out - 1 owner, always well maintained. No sense in getting rid of it, the only issues it has is oil leaks, a power steering leak, and the drivers seatbelt is slow to retract. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Alaska and back (if it got a new battery first); aside from a blown diode in the alternator, it's been insanely reliable. The only things that have ever left it crippled has been battery issues. I trust it just as much as my newer/lower mileage Saturn to make the same trip.

I just got into healthcare.gov, and got my tax form. I wound up owing $262 for the year. :argh: That's half a loving paycheck, damnit.

I almost got into an ARM loan about 10 years ago. The house was so-so, but in my ideal neighborhood (older lower middle class, had an actual front porch, window a/c for every room with central heat, quiet neighborhood in a smaller city). For the price, the house was drat nice (IIRC it was $60k or $70k, bank repo, 3 bed/1 bath, around 1600 sq ft, decent sized lot, 1 car garage). I got scared off by the ARM bit; looking back, I'm glad I got scared off. The house also needed a roof, so I would have had to fly Ken down with the promise of junkyards full of non-rusty Jeeps, or do it myself.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 15, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To cheer up the thread (maybe):

Feline foot warmer works very, very well. It even purrs/vibrates!

Shut up about the socks, it's laundry day. :colbert:

Adiabatic posted:

That's loving disgusting and predatory and I hate this dumb world.

It is and it isn't; a lot of older people that are filing bankruptcy are doing so either because of medical debt, or because of lost income over medical issues. The latter applies to my mother - she had to shutter her business because she flat out couldn't walk anymore. Two hip replacements and 9 months of recovery later, she's doing far better than she has in years.

Of course, she's in no financial shape to buy a car; she can barely cover the maintenance on the car she has now (03 Toyota Avalon with 140k; it's starting to need a bit more attention, mostly related to dry rotted vacuum lines, various leaks, could use motor mounts, and some interior trim clips are broken). She's working on getting her Etsy store back up and running though. She has no plans to replace the car anytime soon - in fact, this is the first car she's owned for more than 3 years, she bought it new in 2002 - but the option is there if sometime catastrophic happens to the car.

CommieGIR posted:

This past year was the first time I've hit 5 figures and held it there....ever. I cannot describe the liberating feeling that savings has actually given me despite what I've thought in the past.
Hopefully we'll start putting more away, hope to have at least a 6 month emergency savings if nothing else.

That's my goal as well. My reported income was about $17k (though I'm having to repay $300 in insurance subsidies). Actual income was probably in the low 20s. If I didn't have a car payment and a very expensive appetite for fiber internet + high end cable TV (those two alone are about $450/month), I could easily be living alone. Once my contract is up, I may cut it down to just internet. My credit score took a big jump when a bunch of old crap aged off, then took a huge nosedive when I got two credit cards (one secured, one unsecured) and maxed them out, but they'll be paid off by the end of this month. That should send my credit score back up.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But with the abundance of cheap credit, I don't think it will ever go away. If the interest rates ever climb about 8% or 9% these 300,000 homes are going to crash in value.

My parents were paying 9% on their house... with perfect credit when they bought it, and a MASSIVE downpayment (over 50% of the value of the house - the mortgage payment was the same as my rent on my last 1 bedroom apartment [$650]). They kept refusing to refinance... then GMAC went tits up, the mortgage got sold off to a very well known scummy lender (mom used to work in finance, and was very familiar with them). They decided to borrow against stepdad's 401k and pay it off. I think it would have been smarter to just refinance, both of them had fantastic credit at the time, especially since they knew stepdad's income was about to be cut in half. Now he's stuck making massive repayments into his 401k every month.

CommieGIR posted:

I get this a lot too, there is some weird emphasis that being able to fix things and being handy is 'bad' in some way.

Had a coworker who was awestruck that I even knew how to FIX a car, let alone that I was capable of building one. When I said I fix them, she asked "Why don't you just take it to a mechanic"

One of my coworkers has a car nearly identical to mine - also a 2006 Saturn Ion 3, differences being hers is a sedan and has leather seats (I didn't even know leather was an option). She was bitching about a headlight burning out, I told her "I'll run by AutoZone and snag a bulb for you, it takes about 2 minutes to change". She said I'm not a mechanic and only mechanics can touch her car. I even offered to show her HOW to do it and let her do the work. "No, I'll break something".

Okay, go pay a shop $50 to change your headlight bulb you dumb twat, it takes literally less than 2 minutes to do on this car. :psyduck: She also refuses to even learn how to open the hood - "my dad checks the oil for me!". :fuckoff:

(it's also so weird seeing 3 Ions in the parking lot at work.. boss has an 04 Ion 1 sedan, I have an 06 Ion 3 coupe, coworkwer has an 06 Ion 3 sedan)

keykey posted:

The best Chinese thing I've ever bought was this: http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-POWER-RA...asin=B007M7RP6Q

Goddamn, at that price, I'm tempted to buy one just to see what I can pick up with it.

You could probably also boil water if you got a cup close enough to the antennas. :science:

CommieGIR posted:

When can I have OS/2 back and OpenVMS! :argh:

I still have my beta copy of OS/2 4.0 on a CD somewhere.. and an OS/2 2.11 original box set. On 3.5" floppy disks.

Darchangel posted:

Which is another, what?, 50 miles from me. I'm in the mid-cities, so Denton is not terribly convenient, I'm afraid. Thanks, though.
I have a garage, so it's not that bad, but I would really love access to a lift when I need it. Thinking about building one of those tilting ramp setups to get the car off the ground, but I need a welder, first (see above.)

Yeah, I keep wondering about that low-T crap, and all the advertisements for it. That and Viagra/ED. Um, duh? It's called old age. It's nature's way of saying it's time to slow down and stop procreating, idiot. I wonder about guys who think that their entire being and worth is contained in and defined by their dicks. Then I remember: oh, right, we're guys. we think with it. If it doesn't work, we're not thinking, right?
There may have been some sarcasm there in that last bit.
To be fair, I have neither problem as far as I know, so my viewpoint is skewed.

I'm in Denton at least every other month - have a lot of friends up there. And my regular mechanic is also in Denton - he generally only does imports, but anytime mom's car needs something I don't feel comfortable tackling myself, he gets to fix it, and always gives us a discount. Then again, I've known him 17 or 18 years now. He'll do work on the Saturd when he's not swamped, but so far I've only needed his help on it once (belt tensioner can't be budged with anything but a 3/8" adjustable tensioner tool - which seems to be solely $100+ tools, the rental ones have a fixed 3/8" head).

I'm still going to get some ramps here ASAP. Hopefully AutoZone still has the Rhinoramps on sale.

The low T stuff... yeah, after seeing what it's done to him, it scares the poo poo out of me. Russ Martin (on 97.1) seems to be a fan of it, but I don't think Russ is bipolar. Russ is also quite a bit younger, much more level headed (especially for a "shock jock"... which he really isn't, but he still makes me laugh), and in better health overall.

Procreation isn't an issue - mom won't touch him at this point (even if she would, she had the baby making parts removed in her mid-late 30s), and I'm pretty sure he won't touch her. She's revealed several times to me over the past 25 years that she hasn't had any action in.. well.. over 25 years. :cripes: He's enough of a prude that he thinks porn is a sin, and also thinks anytime she talks to anybody with a penis, she must be cheating on him (gently caress, I'd be cheating if I was in a relationship and hadn't gotten laid in a few months, much less decades.. that's gotta be cobweb city by now). She's been talking to an old friend from high school that lives in my home town (about 650 miles away), and he's also blind - and he swears up and down she's driving out there to get laid and coming back the same day. Riiiiight.

When my grandpa died (at 84 or 85), when we were getting his house ready to sell, we found plenty of viagra. I have a step-grandmother 2 years older than my mother (my mother is the youngest from his first marriage), I have an uncle with less than 5 years on me, and an aunt that's only a little older than him. Knowing what I know today, I'd high five him if he was still around, though I know he was a chick magnet partly because of money (owned several new car dealerships - Chevy/Geo, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Nissan, Cadillac are the ones I remember off the top of my head, and those were just the ones in my hometown - he also owned an Avis franchise, owned a few dealers out of town, etc). Also had more charisma than anybody I've ever known.

I'm the first to admit I have some ED issues, but both my doctor and what I've read both agree that it's related to my Paula Deen/Wilford Brimley disease. And the ED stuff doesn't pop up (...) often.

InitialDave posted:

Not to sound :corsair:, but too many people lack an understanding of the value of physical labour. To actually do something.

This. There's a lot of things that I'd much rather pay someone else to do, but basic home stuff - wiring, plumbing repairs (as long as it's not sewer), swapping out a stove/range/oven/dishwasher, repairing a washer or dryer, that kind of stuff - I see no point in paying someone $150 just to show up, then add labor on top of that, then add marked up parts on top of THAT. I paid around $150 for a new timer for our clothes washer - if we'd paid someone to come out and fix it, it probably would have cost as much as replacing the whole thing with a similar model, and this is the last generation of Maytag's Dependable Care line (which you'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands, the only way this washer gets replaced is if the transmission fails). And it took about 30 or 45 minutes, start to finish. Paid $25 locally for a new blower wheel for our dryer a few years ago, which took a little under 2 hours - took so long only because I vacuumed out all the dust and cleaned up the inside + ducting + heater while I had it apart, and had to play a bit of trial and error to figure out what needed to come out to get to the blower. When our gas range flipped its poo poo and kept running the ignitors nonstop after it'd been hosed down with windex cleaned, all it took was unplugging it, taking the glass top off, taking the switches off of the knobs, blasting them with MAF cleaner (which is safe for most electronics), letting them dry, and putting it all back together. I'm sure that would have been a $200+ service call, and they probably would have wanted to replace every switch, which would have probably cost as much as replacing the entire range.

The owner of where I work paid a handyman $150 to ... remove 2 inches from two counters, so we could fit new soft drink coolers into the space. The guy was very nice, but didn't do the greatest job. I could have gone to Lowe's and purchased a decent circular saw + blade for that, and done it myself, then had the tools leftover for something else. I have a circular saw as it is, but it's an ancient 70s or early 80s Black & Decker piece of poo poo with a cracked cord held together by tape and unicorns.

Everyone was bitching about how much he charged. My argument was "do you own the tools?" Their answer was universally "No, but I know I could borrow them" (sorry, but no, you don't make a living by borrowing tools). I asked "do you own the truck he showed up in, and are you trying to make a living by doing little jobs like this?". I personally think $150 was excessive for about 10 minutes of work (I'd consider $75-100 to be reasonable), but the guy came to us, with good tools, measured twice, cut once, and squeezed the coolers into the space.

West SAAB Story posted:

You can't smoke the resin of (not yet) dead relatives.. as far as I know. However, you look like a brown person. Perhaps you can elucidate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh come on, CSB himself constantly cracks brown jokes. :colbert:

But enough about what he sticks his cock in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To cheer up the thread (maybe):

Feline foot warmer works very, very well.

Shut up about the socks, it's laundry day. :colbert:

Adiabatic posted:

That's loving disgusting and predatory and I hate this dumb world.

It is and it isn't; a lot of older people that are filing bankruptcy are doing so either because of medical debt, or because of lost income over medical issues. The latter applies to my mother - she had to shutter her business because she flat out couldn't walk anymore. Two hip replacements and 9 months of recovery later, she's doing far better than she has in years.

Of course, she's in no financial shape to buy a car; she can barely cover the maintenance on the car she has now (03 Toyota Avalon with 140k; it's starting to need a bit more attention, mostly related to dry rotted vacuum lines, various leaks, could use motor mounts, and some interior trim clips are broken). She's working on getting her Etsy store back up and running though. She has no plans to replace the car anytime soon - in fact, this is the first car she's owned for more than 3 years, she bought it new in 2002 - but the option is there if sometime catastrophic happens to the car.

CommieGIR posted:

This past year was the first time I've hit 5 figures and held it there....ever. I cannot describe the liberating feeling that savings has actually given me despite what I've thought in the past.
Hopefully we'll start putting more away, hope to have at least a 6 month emergency savings if nothing else.

That's my goal as well. My reported income was about $17k (though I'm having to repay $300 in insurance subsidies). Actual income was probably in the low 20s. If I didn't have a car payment and a very expensive appetite for fiber internet + high end cable TV (those two alone are about $450/month), I could easily be living alone. Once my contract is up, I may cut it down to just internet. My credit score took a big jump when a bunch of old crap aged off, then took a huge nosedive when I got two credit cards (one secured, one unsecured) and maxed them out, but they'll be paid off by the end of this month. That should send my credit score back up.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But with the abundance of cheap credit, I don't think it will ever go away. If the interest rates ever climb about 8% or 9% these 300,000 homes are going to crash in value.

My parents were paying 9% on their house... with perfect credit when they bought it, and a MASSIVE downpayment (over 50% of the value of the house - the mortgage payment was the same as my rent on my last 1 bedroom apartment [$650]). They kept refusing to refinance... then GMAC went tits up, the mortgage got sold off to a very well known scummy lender (mom used to work in finance, and was very familiar with them). They decided to borrow against stepdad's 401k and pay it off. I think it would have been smarter to just refinance, both of them had fantastic credit at the time, especially since they knew stepdad's income was about to be cut in half. Now he's stuck making massive repayments into his 401k every month.

CommieGIR posted:

I get this a lot too, there is some weird emphasis that being able to fix things and being handy is 'bad' in some way.

Had a coworker who was awestruck that I even knew how to FIX a car, let alone that I was capable of building one. When I said I fix them, she asked "Why don't you just take it to a mechanic"

One of my coworkers has a car nearly identical to mine - also a 2006 Saturn Ion 3, differences being hers is a sedan and has leather seats (I didn't even know those were an option). She was bitching about a headlight burning out, I told her "I'll run by AutoZone and snag a bulb for you, it takes about 2 minutes to change". She said I'm not a mechanic and only mechanics can touch her car. I even offered to show her HOW to do it and let her do the work. "No, I'll break something".

Okay, go pay a shop $50 to change your headlight bulb, it takes literally less than 2 minutes to do on this car. :psyduck:

(it's also so weird seeing 3 Ions in the parking lot at work.. boss has an 04 Ion 1 sedan, I have an 06 Ion 3 coupe, coworkwer has an 06 Ion 3 sedan)

keykey posted:

The best Chinese thing I've ever bought was this: http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-POWER-RA...asin=B007M7RP6Q

Goddamn, at that price, I'm tempted to buy one just to see what I can pick up with it.

You could probably also boil water if you got a cup close enough to the antennas. :science:

CommieGIR posted:

When can I have OS/2 back and OpenVMS! :argh:

I still have my beta copy of OS/2 4.0 on a CD somewhere.. and an OS/2 2.11 original box set. On 3.5" floppy disks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

:aaaaa:

What the gently caress?

Car payment is $215 (I try to toss at least $250 at it).

50mbit (both up and down) plus the high end cable package, plus multiple DVRs, plus multiple cable cards, runs about the same.

Once my contract is up, I'm probably going to kill the cable and just keep the internet, and MAYBE the phone line. My cell is long distance from DFW, so I generally give the home phone # out on applications. I have the voicemail on it setup so that anytime a voicemail is left on the home phone, I get a call on my cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bandman posted:

It is becoming more clear to me why people murder their spouses instead of divorcing them. She is a miserable, vindictive bitch and she can take a long walk off a short pier.

You described my mother, my stepmother, and my stepfather in the second sentence.

I'm close to my mother, but I would never want to be her spouse. This house is the very definition of "passive aggressive bullshit".

• Locked thread