Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Competitive Yoshi's Cookie. YoCo.

Also, no WTfJapan block makes me sad. So many neat games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Are the f-zero guys coming back? Last year was the sweet combo of a very laid back run of the SNES game, followed by an intense run of the GX version. poo poo was great.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

Nooooo, don't ruin the aspect ratio.

All games are not 4x3 :negative:
Glad I'm not alone in this

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Crain posted:

Whoever said that the donations get really depressing wasn't kidding. This is getting ridiculous.
Just wait until a runner has a personal story and breaks down crying :smith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The_Franz posted:

Didn't they actually have the sound guy on the phone during a run of this last year or something?
It was probably Grant Kirkhope, the composer for the game. He seems to enjoy doing interviews and such.

I dunno if he did the sound effects for the game or not.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah I dunno if any% is better, but 100% Banjo-Kazooie was not the best.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thanks! Grabbed the Crusader Kings 2 code (but not the DLC).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thanks Internet posted:

If anyone is wondering how this year is comparing with last year here's graphs of viewers and money raised for each event:

http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/

Notably, both viewers and donations are about double what they were last year, which is nuts.
Weird that the goal is only $500,000. I guess they figured last year was a fluke.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mr E posted:

Well to be honest they sell like poo poo without fail.
They're well-made and fun, but they are hard as gently caress so it's not surprising that they sold poorly. I think the last home console one was GX, and that one is particularly brutal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

President Ark posted:

You should watch one they did a year ago, one of the 3d ones. They were literally doing something where they'd snake so hard they'd start flying off the track 5000 feet into the air.
Or when he gave the AI a 30 second head start and still managed to win.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

F-Zero last year was nice because the runner was really laid back and made decent commentary about cool shortcuts while also taking breaks to let people hear the cool soundtrack. It wasn't some amazing adrenaline rush, but this weirdly relaxed run that was a very appropriate primer for the crazy GX run.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I like Naegleria as a couch dude. I dunno why. He's a total dickwad but he's just so blunt.

"This trick saves, uh, 0.2 seconds?" "And how costly is it if you miss?" "...Well, you die."
This exactly why a race was a terrible idea. F-Zero seemed to have a bunch of crazy high-risk shortcuts that saved mere portions of a segment. In a race nobody is going to risk dying for such a small lead.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We cannot enjoy an overweight man in a Link costume, and chat monitor has been replaced with soulless ads.

Has AGDQ sold out :ohdear:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well F-Zero X is off to a promising start :staredog:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They saw how popular the small F-Zero block was last year, and tried to expand that without understanding why it was popular. I guess they thought "Clearly ninety minutes of GX will be even better!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If there's one good thing about these marathons, they do fix things where they can. It seems like every marathon people complain about the layout, and a few days in they change it to something more palatable (although this year's layout is pretty good to start with). I imagine they'll fix the runner cam for PC games eventually.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess there are so many 100% runs because they tend to be long and an easy way to fill up time. It's easy to have one game for like three hours with a runner than try to find six people willing to travel out there to do six half-hour Any% runs.

The Battleblock run is enjoyable, but I can see why people would find three hours of this wearying.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Definitely worth the extra time for that zinger.

Good run on the whole though. Cute game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I swear at an older GDQ TASbot did the whole Twitch chat on Pokemon thing.

Maybe they used the SMW game for that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"A glitchless run takes much longer...15 minutes!"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, the full game is amazing (and the run of it is amazing), but this is pretty boring with all the resets -- especially given that they're using a trainer to set the RNG seeds.
I really don't mind using a trainer to set the RNG properly rather than see 321GO over and over because the RNG went sour.

This is still loving awful, however.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is like a giant disappointment.

A Rayman Legends run with SV on the couch doing commentary, and we're not even going to get a run. Just showing random tech while doing stages over and over.

Who thought this was a good idea :psyduck:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah Boshy is really loving stupid and was made mostly as a bunch of in-jokes for streamers, I think?

I guess it might be entertaining to watch, but it looks like an awful game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I appreciate that this guy seems to resent the shitload of memes in this game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Just...don't play this game."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I leave for 40 minutes and suddenly the stream is up 150k viewers. What the gently caress?
It's witwix time

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I thought he said $20 and wondered why the audience was freaking out :stare:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Eonwe posted:

i think thats a little far tho friend

:yikes:
It's okay, Big Jon farmed some extra lives for him :3:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If he hadn't farmed lives, people would have complained when he got a game over.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Big Jon block for SGDQ 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm voting for a witwix / Big Jon ticket in 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

El Golden Goose posted:

I am legitimately bummed he only gets to play for 30 minutes
They should make him read donations

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I feel it is far, far more important to have an entertaining run than a good run. We saw plenty of good runs that bored everyone to tears, whereas Big Jon's commentary alone has made this a thing of beauty.

And it's not like he's playing poorly. SMB2 in under 30 is crazy good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Have Big Jon take over the rest of the Mario block.

Or at least keep him on the couch.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why has Big Jon became smaller and whiter?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Is anyone else getting buffering issues every now and again
Whenever the banner flips between ads or whatever, there's a change it causes a hitch in the stream. Real annoying.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Could someone explain to me AGDQ's obsession with Super Metroid? I have heard that it's a good game for speedrunning, but centering the entire event(At least the donation system) around it every time seems really weird to me, especially since at this point all runs of it feel very similiar to each other(as a spectator), and it mostly comes down to small mistakes/lucky frame hits.
The games are pretty much made for speed running (recording your time and items found at the end) so I imagine people like to run it. It's also a GDQ tradition at this point, with the Save/Kill the Animals thing probably being the biggest bid war of the whole marathon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

funmanguy posted:

There is someone behind the couch wearing a fedora.

Why?
It's not a marathon without at least one fedora dude.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

But that's what they did for Rayman Legends and it's probably the worst run yet.
That wasn't a glitch run, but rather a bunch of awkward IL runs to show techs that would be better explained in an actual run.

As Sonic Heroes showed, glitches can be fun as hell to show off. The problem is that such segments wouldn't last very long and thus tend to be bonuses thrown in at the end of a run if they have some extra time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Poultron posted:

Still waiting for the thread title changed to AGDQ: Don't be scared, now. Thanks in advance mods.
Thread title should be a rotation of Big Jon quotes :colbert:

• Locked thread