Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Well, gotta sleep at some point. That sounds like a good chance to do it.

NO SLEEP ALLOWED!

Seriously though, figuring out when is always an issue during AGDQ. Can't wait for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I really like the layout of the stream this year, very clean and easy on the eyes. Props to whoever did it!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Since I moaned about the lighting of the room last year I think I also need to give props for it being way, way better as seen through the stream this time around. This really is off to a good start.

So much hype!

Edit: Also, those skip/optimization names.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

[Epileptic-inducing No Signal intensifies]

Problem with a connector or something?
Comedy option edit: Marathon luck! :v:

Still, Crazy Taxi is loving awesome.

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 5, 2015

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Bholder posted:

Only thing I remember about this game is YAYAYAYAAA

It's a pretty accurate summary! (Somehow it was still great.)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Oh. Speaking of games with repetetive soundbits... Ook ook ook ook!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

This is a very good run, both game-wise and runner-wise. Always more enjoyable when it's obvious how much the runners enjoy the game.

Also, I like that the announcer keeps asking questions. It really helps given that there are no "audience" mics. (I kinda hope they revert this decision for next year)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Some great childhood memories watching this race. Definitely one of the top games for me of that generation.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Oh, god, that chandelier room still makes me tense up, even when just watching someone else playing.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Looking at the schedule, they're only doing invasions and challenges, which is a pity -- it's a great game. Then again, I guess they did run it at SGDQ.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I guess it's kinda nice to show off how actual techniques might work in a game in-depth for those who are interested in starting to speedrun (which I assume will be a bunch of people after each marathon), but this might not've been the best way to go about it. Just feels a bit disconnected compared to other runs.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

It'd make a real good YouTube tutorial I guess dunno why they did it mid marathon though

Or something for the bonus stream - it was way too short to actually be effective as a tutorial. But yeah, it's something I'd expect to see on Youtube. When I saw "Invasions and Challenges" in the schedule at first I didn't look at the time alotted to it, so I assumed it was a donation incentive to do those things after an actual run. Pity I was wrong about that.

Oh well, IwbtB should be entertaining at least, plus the DKC2 race afterwards has potential.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

"Just... don't play it."

"He's got like fifty games in his library. Don't play them."

:v:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Well, it's meant to be more bullshit than IWBTG ("harder", but I'd say that translates to "more bullshit" in this genre.)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

The meme-ness of this game is loving awful, but witwix really makes it way more entertaining than it should be. Him spending Bromans' money helps. :20bux: :10bux:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

157k viewers. Watching "I wanna be the Boshy". At least us and witwix aren't alone in our suffering.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Saving for posterity.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Zurreco posted:

There are probably no IWBTB streams that have tits hanging out all over the place.

Given the awfulness of this game, I'm surprised it doesn't offer that on its own.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Say it with me: 160k+ viewers! Pretty loving amazing.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I wonder what kind of numbers might be pulled with some of the more popular games later on in the marathon.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

This has been the best run so far.

Edit: ^ :getin:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Yeah, the marathon feels a lot more alive now with the audience cam and chiptunes between games. :cheers:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Morrowind - A very stable game! Wonder how many crashes we'll see this run?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Allow me to be the first to say it.

N'wah!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

"oh no there's a cliff racer" :gonk:

Disgusting creatures.

Also, this is certainly a thing that is happening. :stare:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It's completely random what items you get, which in turn determines how fast you can beat the game or whether you can beat it at all. It's competitive dice-rolling.

e: And what the hell, are they going to play BoI and not Rebirth? :psyduck: Y'know, the version that fixed pretty much all of the bugs, glitches, lovely physics and terrible mechanics? And included seeds so you can actually race on skill and not luck?

Rebirth is still pretty new, and even for "remakes" like that it takes a while for them to show up in speedrunning. I'd expect it to replace the old game in SGDQ or next years AGDQ.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Rebirth is still pretty new, and even for "remakes" like that it takes a while for them to show up in speedrunning. I'd expect it to replace the old game in SGDQ or next years AGDQ.

Quoting myself, since this is the likely reason. (Also not sure it was released in time to even be able to get onto the schedule proper)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I don't really buy their excuses for running non-seeded runs, at least at a marathon. Just randomize a seed before the start of the race and only let the runners know it when they're about to start, and screencasting is kind of hard to do in a marathon without getting caught (just sit the runners across from each others). Guess it might be harder when racing over the net, though.

But again, I'm sure this'll be worked out by the time BoI:Rebirth becomes viable to speedrun this year.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Yeah, would've liked the music to be on, too. The soundtrack is rather nice for both BoI and Rebirth, after all.

Edit: Woop woop! 500k+ donations total. :woop:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Flash is great for programming games in that has complex interaction between things in it!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Yay, it is over! :woop:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

No, no it wasn't. (An awesome race.)

e:f,b

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

He's not doing bad explaining at all, and the couch is also commenting. Improvement!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Yeah, this run is fine. Death or not. At least it's enjoyable to watch. :)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

My inner otherkin is hurt by all this dragon hate.

(We need a tumblr emote, I think.)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I'm with flatluigi on this, it's about to get real. Studio hype!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Al Borland posted:

is thsi guy worth that much staying up for?

He tends to do very enjoyable runs, so I think so at least. Middle of the day here, though.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Studio posted:

Well, lower zoom adds a significant amount of time. Like 5-10 minutes of wandering around. Unfortunate, but not every game is for a GDQ, and this is probably one of them now :v:. The patch that added this was in October.

Yeah, probably true. For what it's worth, the commentary and chatter during the run was still enjoyable, though having some knowledge of RoR beforehand probably helped me follow what was happening somewhat.

Edit: Also, this current run is enjoyable. And :v: at the Caleb Hart shoutout there.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

I wouldn't be able to play this game, my nerves would get the better of me. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Pretty darn impressed by that run. Game's clearly nuts at that difficulty.

• Locked thread