Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Wow, I didn't realize how big the stream room is this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Synastren posted:

I'm not at all against people donating because they have a personal stake in the cause; that's great and fine and fantastic. My concern is what was alluded to about people lying about losses in order to get their 20 seconds of internet fame, and the surprising number of people who have suffered losses in the last month week moments before or so that have been read on stream. And from a production standpoint, it's incredibly jarring to go from "Someone I love very much died from cancer, and it was a grievous loss" to some silly and happy video game, with no way to transition from one to the other.

Dude -- It's people giving money to a charity to fight a disease. There is no need to be alarmed.

Cubey posted:

also the vast majority of comments about someone they know having cancer are not of them even dying from it. i mean poo poo there are three people in my family who have had cancer, one of whom did die of it.

cancer is extremely common and i find it incredibly hard to believe that there are very many people at all who have not been affected by it.

This is true. But, you know, this is a recent thing. It wasn't that long ago -- 30-40 years maybe -- where cancer was the great undertaker, the incurable death sentence. There are references to cancer in papyri dating back to before Greek civilization. We didn't understand that cancer was a change in cell genetics until the 1900s. Up until the 1950s or so, if you had cancer of an internal organ, you likely didn't know about it until it had already metastasized and was inoperable, and you were probably going to die.

When you adjust for age, you're only 5% less likely to die of cancer today than you were in 1950. What's changed is that we detect it earlier, and you're more likely to go into remission until old age.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

Dustforce is not a good game to run at marathons unless you can get one of the very few people who are consistent at running it.

Didn't they recently rerelease it with a new top-level world that made it a little less annoying?

Also, everything up through Laboratory is pretty easy to run. The main things that kill 100% runs is the ! levels (Kilo Difficult -> Yotta Difficult) -- it wouldn't be impossible to do a tourney% that basically did everything up through that, and then if you're ahead of schedule, you run the Difficults. But then, it'd be even better to just find someone who can consistently run them.

e:

tRIDAV posted:

What are you talking about, it's playing the same song that Transistor had.

:golfclap:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 5, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Yeah, that was actually a surprisingly good Transistor run -- the game has relatively few breaks, which makes the ones that are possible quite impressive. GDQ has a reputation for mercykilling PC games, so having one come in firmly ahead of schedule is nice.

A pity that they killed the PC audio halfway through Paper Boats. :P

Republicans posted:

Something I was never sure about when I played Transistor was whether or not the sword guy was Red's boyfriend or just an admirer she falls in love with over the course of the game.

Boyfriend -- the ending sequence shows scenes from their past.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 5, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

This run is fantastic -- both the runner and the commentary. This would fit in the "best-of" category for most prior GDQs.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Geight posted:

Yeah I don't care if your donation message is about how cancer slayed your entire family yesterday or if it's just ULTRAJMAN MOMMASLAPZ that you get the donation reader to accidentally say out loud, just give money to charity.

This. If you're actually genuinely concerned that people might be giving money to charity for ulterior motives, you should probably calm the gently caress down and seek professional help. Most of my donations don't even have comments on them. (And the ones that do can mostly be blamed on the 2013 GDQs where we didn't have the selector pulldown and had to specify goals in the comment.)

Don't worry, we will almost certainly repeat this derail (and the "omg American charities take a lot of cash to run" derail) at least 4 or 5 more times this week.

On a lighter note, I'm actually enjoying this X run as it goes on. I wish I could donate to get Naegleria a better haircut, though.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

The event hasn't even been running for 24 hours, folks; it's Monday morning of a seven-day marathon. Give it some time to respond to feedback and tweak things and find their stride. It'll probably get better as it goes, and it's still reasonably entertaining now. (GX is actually getting some decent couch commentary.)

I agree that we could probably use more of an audience view and less of the strictly limited couch -- just gotta find a balance between goofy and professional. A tiny reduction in goofiness does not exactly turn it into Non-Objectionable Speed Runs For Charity Presented By Allstate And Microsoft.

fakeedit: Also, they just broke $250K -- a quarter of the way there, and we aren't even done with the first day, or into the big draw games.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

And wow, the Gamecube just straight up hanged and then crashed on Naegleria.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Vaah posted:

Maybe I haven't scoured the schedule hard enough, but I'm sad there's no "awful games" block or Peaches_ runs.

You didn't look hard enough. AwfulGDQ is in the twilight hours of Thursday morning, from 1am to 6am. AdamAK is going to be running William Shatner's Tekwar. :allears:

Also, Peaches will be on the couch for Mischief Makers on Wednesday afternoon.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

This is excellent. :allears: Good run, good commentary.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wasn't it last year where some dude did loving MINECRAFT? There are some games I have no idea why they even allow at the event.

I have to admit, last year's Minecraft run was kinda interesting in the abstract -- the goal was to get to The End and kill the Ender Dragon as quickly as possible. He started from a seed and used a bunch of glitches to duplicate things, and then killed the Ender Dragon using a bug with exploding beds. It was an odd little 25-minute gap-filler, not that terrible to watch.

(A co-op Minecraft run was actually on the AGDQ schedule this year, but they decided to cut it at the last minute (December) because the runners had real-life issues and couldn't practice enough, and the organizers were worried that they'd be rusty and gently caress up the run. Vanquish took its place. That Vanquish run is going to be amazing, btw -- it's being run one-handed.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

- (i am bad, and quote is not edit)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Bholder posted:

So which version of Duke Nukem 3D we are getting?

Looks like it's the Megaton version (the one on Steam), which uses an OpenGL renderer and actually allows decent looking up/down.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

flyboi posted:

Back when this game came out it was pretty impressive at its time. The sickness isn't as bad if you're controlling it and he's intentionally doing things that make you go faster which don't help - instead of just going in 1 direction he's most always traveling in 3 to increase his speed further than traveling on 1 axis. I used to love the game back when it was out but Descent 2 is the best :colbert:

Yep. (And nobody mentions or admits the existence of Descent 3.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

President Ark posted:

The game isn't nearly as disorienting/nauseating if you're playing it normally, he keeps wobbling around because apparently it makes you go faster or something.

He's wobbling because the game just adds the vectors in each direction. So if you're holding down "up and left", instead of the game going "okay, you go 1.0 speed in an up/left direction", it goes "okay, you go 1.0 up and 1.0 left, which is equivalent to 1.414 speed up/left." So, to go as fast as possible, you always want to be holding down three move keys at once.

This also means that you always speedrun using keyboard, because joystick does yaw/pitch/roll and throttle controls, instead of "move up/down/left/right/forward/back."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Incoherence posted:

Same principle as strafe-running, but in 3 dimensions?

Exactly.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

this commentary really sucks holy poo poo

it's just laughing about silly hat and wacky song and if you don't already know what's going on the game is incomprehensible which they could maybe fix if they weren't just going "THE OMEGA BOOST!!!! HAHAHAHA"

but it has the mother freaking stamper or whoever so i guess it's actually good

You appear to hate fun. Have you considered playing Eve Online? Or interacting with the Something Awful Internet Forums in a way that doesn't involve usercp.php?

I don't even like this game, and I'm chuckling at this run.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

:holymoley:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

President Ark posted:

why are the people who frequent the so-called "chill" forums the ones who have to loudly repeat how poo poo they think something is and how dumb they think everyone involved with it is

wouldn't the chill thing to do be to sit back and accept that other people enjoy something they don't and not harsh their vibe

Because you aren't really chill unless you're constantly telling everyone how chill you are. It's like being vegan, or attending Crossfit.

Taking a short break from the stream to catch dinner, and almost wish I wasn't.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Glad you liked it.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

I don't think this guy is alive

The honest truth is, I'm not sure what makes this game good to speedrun. There's been very little explanation of why this game might be technically challenging; it just seems like a fairly rote platformer, and only interesting/appealing if you're already deeply invested in Touhou.

Also, I feel really bad in general if this game came out anytime in the last ten years, because this isn't exactly a showcase of high production values.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that all the donators during this section have weeaboo names. But eh, money for charity.

Also, jesus christ, this clone of the SMB3 airship. They didn't even try. (And the runner's choking on it, ffs. How do you get a tournament spot when you take unnecessary damage in an autoscroller.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Sentient Desk Lamp posted:

So is there anything worth watching tonight after this tragedy is through?

Not real familiar with the upcoming games.

They Bleed Pixels is a pixel-art platformer that's actually quite hard, so a speedrun of it is likely to be technically challenging, if nothing else. (But it won't always be immediately obvious why it's hard.)

Basically, you can go AFK and do other poo poo until midnight PST, when they start a ~6 hour block of pure awesome.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

:drat:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Looking at the schedule, they're only doing invasions and challenges, which is a pity -- it's a great game. Then again, I guess they did run it at SGDQ.

Yeah, the full game is amazing (and the run of it is amazing), but this is pretty boring with all the resets -- especially given that they're using a trainer to set the RNG seeds.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

$35 donation per death from the runner and couch. This just became amazing.

(You die a lot in most IWBTB runs.)

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

The game has a lot of internal memes that aren't going to make sense unless you're a twitch nerd; however, beyond that, just trust that it's a Nintendo-hard game and it's impressive to see it run this well.

It's actually kinda sad that witwix is getting so many boss quickkills -- if you haven't seen IWBTB played slow before, you're missing a lot of the more novel boss mechanics.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, that is a fast Mario kill, even by witwix standards.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

evilalien posted:

Is there some reason he isn't using Dark Boshy for this run?

You only get Dark Boshy once you beat the game, so it's generally an any% thing. You've gotta use another character for 100%.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Wow, deathless Pokemon world. Nuts. This is easily one of the best runs of the marathon thus far.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Sdoots posted:

If you were making a list of the best runs this year, what would it be? Trying to figure out what to recommend to friends, and also what I still need to watch. So far I've got Dark Forces 2, Battleblock Theatre, and Boshy. What else?

Blood is a personal favorite but I don't think it's something a viewer would appreciate without actually having played it.

Best of the marathon thus far:

* Boshy
* Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
* Dark Forces II
* Battleblock Theater
* TASBOT block on Saturday
* Gimmick!
* Zelda II (decent commentary, plus glitch run)

Very good, but not top-tier:

* Broforce (it's not that fast, but it's short and cute)
* Descent (simply because he did a good job of explaining the technical aspects of the run)
* Perspective (not many people have seen it, it's fast, and kinda cool)
* Within a Deep Forest (good dev commentary)
* Metal Slug Advance

Questionable but you might enjoy it:

* Banjo-Kazooie is boring on its face value (it's two hours of Rareware collect-a-thon), but they had dev commentary on it, which was mildly interesting. Stories about what did and didn't slip past Nintendo censors, etc.
* Blood is excellent if you've played the game, and won't be as interesting if you haven't.

I haven't watched them yet (a man must sleep), but supposedly the Contra and River City Ransom runs were amusing. I'll update this post if I get time to watch them at work.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 7, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Wow, that's amazing.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

And cringe. But cute.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

This owns but... when she dies... what the hell is drifting down? I want to say they look like Panties, because :japan: but I hope I'm wrong.

It's her backpack, I think. (Sick man.)

And yeah, watching a speedrun doesn't really convey how ridiculously hard UK is.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

It feels much more Mega Man than Castlevania to me, but I can see the references to it.

Yeah, I think MegaMan -- or, actually, Bionic Commando. But no matter what, it's excellent.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Yeah, the platforming stages are pretty straightforward, but he's making the bosses look trivial, when most of them have terribly hard phases.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I idly wonder what would happen if someone made a $1488 donation. Would they read it?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

This is turning out to be a fantastic race.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

"Prevent cancer, everybody."

Cute speech though, and thank gently caress it wasn't another proposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The cartridges are just for storage, all the power is in the machine itself :eng101:

Accessing that data was much faster on a cartridge (nearly instant) compared to the long load times of CD, but you could pack a lot more into a CD for WAY cheaper.

Not really -- you could stick a lot of power in the cartridge too :eng101:

The first round of NES cartridges were simple -- they were just a slab of ROM, and maybe some RAM, with a tiny bit of glue logic to allow you to switch pages of ROM in and out (called a mapper). However, that mapper glue logic quickly got replaced with dedicated chips, that then got expanded with extra functionality.

For example:
* Zelda and Metroid had a custom chip (MMC1) that made it easier to implement the screen scrolling and have save-games.
* Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 added hardware on top of that (MMC3) to count scan lines and notify the CPU when the TV was drawing a specific part of the screen, so that you could easily do status bars.
* Castlevania III's mapper (MMC5) gave you extra RAM, extra sound channels, specialized hardware for tile index expansion, and a tiny math coprocessor.
* Some of the Japanese-only releases went even farther -- the most notable for the NES was an RPG called Lagrange Point, where the cartridge has an entire Yamaha FM synthesizer on it and generates the game's soundtrack on the cart.

This continued in the SNES generation as well; most people know of the SuperFX chip in Starfox, but the real king of this is Super Mario RPG. The SMRPG cart actually has a full second CPU in it that is capable of interrupting the SNES CPU (and runs faster than it), turning the SNES into a dual-core machine. This is why SMRPG didn't work on many emulators until a few years ago, and why it doesn't work on most SNES flash carts.

• Locked thread