Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looking forward to a lot this year. The Awful Games block is full of weird and interesting games (and segued both into and out of gracefully), and we've got F-Zero GX returning, which is always amazing to watch. Apparently they've also just recently found a few new ways to break Escape Goat 2, so that run may be a bit shorter and funnier than it might have been otherwise.

Getting Livestreamer set up in advance so I have AGDQ playing on my TV on the other side of the room pretty much the whole week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

KennyMan666 posted:

Well, there's a blacklist for stuff in comments that ensure they don't get read (and probably won't even reach the ticker), so that's not going to be much of a problem.

Unfortunately, if Gamergate is blacklisted, expect the event to be DDoS'd and at least some attempt at doxxing, swatting or otherwise abusing the organizers. That's what they've done with every other charity that has politely asked them to back off, including Ablegamers. They were sending a pretty solid stream of death threats to that guy and his family for a while.

poo poo is loving depressing. Who does that over videogames?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

In all honestly, I'm gonna miss the silly costumes and touhou plushies. *GDQ is a carnival of shameless nerdery, and that's okay.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crain posted:

Yeah, With the exception of the obvious runs most of these guys, even the ones with good runs, seem really subdued this year. Everyone seems like they are trying way too hard to be professional.

Yeah. It seems that almost every bit of endearing silliness (costumes, goofing off, plushies cycled on a regular basis, the sassy monitor) has been replaced with dead air or awkwardly read Messages From Our Sponsors.

I don't think I've heard that Turtle Beach one read once without the commentator tripping over themselves. It's horribly written, admittedly.

Edit: They mute the setup phases too, even when the commentator isn't saying anything. I liked being able to hear what's going on.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Your Computer posted:

What is even Turtle Beach? The message is just a string of buzzwords with literally no meaning :shepface:

They make XTREME GAMING HEADPHONES.

So yeah, they sell buzzwords by the pound.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crain posted:

"Do you want to go over the plot?"

"NO"

Having the narrator on chat makes everything better.

This run is the kind of happy horseshit I watch *GDQ for. More of this sort of thing! That Descent run was pretty amazing too, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lag on the stream, skype chat and game all seem to be getting worse. Hope it's just normal network shittiness and not some jerks trying to ruin peoples fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

They need to bring the Battleblock narrator on as a permanent commentator on everything.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That Battleblock ending? That's how their next game begins. The death of the giant space-bear brings about the apocalypse, and then poo poo gets REALLY weird.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, for those who haven't seen it yet, The Behemoth's next game is a hex-based strategy RPG. It also ties into the ending of Battleblock Theater, because why the hell not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5A-W7QvFRQ

Could be fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, this seems like a poor choice of game, and the guy trying to explain all things Touhou is just painful to watch.

There's plenty of far more speedrunnable Touhou fangames that don't have Giant Titty Borders. Like Touhouvania 2, which they did for SGDQ and kinda owned.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

UraniumAnchor posted:

I think Whizz was originally an Amiga game, which would explain a lot.

Yep, originally on Amiga. And most Amiga games were pretty much C64 games with shiny gradient-heavy graphics.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Any word if they've got the dev on for commentary on the upcoming Boshy 100% run? That should be pretty impressive to watch.

I'd not be too surprised if Solgryn's new game - Wings of Vi - started showing up in *GDQ events in the nearish future. It's designed to be cruelly hard, but not unfair like IWBTG or Boshy, so you can see all the obstacles and they behave consistently.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jibo posted:

I have no idea what this game is but I'm guessing it's related to I Wanna Be The Guy so this should be good.

It's like a bigger, messier, dumber version of IWBTG.

The dev went on to make Wings of Vi (on Steam now) which is by most accounts a little buggy and unbalanced still, but a much fairer (but still loving insanely hard) precision platformer.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I don't agree with this. Most of Boshy's challenges are laid bare on screen and are just really difficult to deal with. IWBTG has a lot of surprise deaths and bullshit.

Wings of Vi is more along those lines, too. No real surprises, just really unforgiving platforming. It's surprisingly polished too, a few bugs aside.

There's a demo of it out now.

I managed to die about 30 times in the basic movement tutorial.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Really looking forward to this arcade block. These are some seriously fun games. Battletoads Arcade is something very few people have seen, too, and it is fantastic.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Reminder: This game is HARD

To be fair, he is playing on Ultra Bullshit difficulty, which ramps everything up to quarter-stealing mode from the start and stays there.

It's still brutal hard on the lower settings, but at least a little fairer.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Welcome to Twitch. Step one is to hit that "hide chat" button and never ever ever ever ever open it.

The only time that it's considered acceptable to open twitch chat is if there are under 100 viewers, or if you're watching regular VGCW. Women's division VGCW chat is a dumpster fire, naturally.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

My heart is shake-shaken.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

What was that last donation message? Did he say 12 frenchman?

'12 frenchmen have already died of the cancer'.

Pretty sure that was from one of our own shittier forums, too. Not cool.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder if there's anyone insane enough to speedrun Goldensun. You'd probably spend more time skipping text boxes than actually running the game.

I think the Tomba 2 run has ensured that no such thing will ever happen again.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One cool thing to look forward to in coming months is that Dolphin (the Gamecube/Wii emulator) is now working in official Nvidia 3D support. So that's Metroid Prime in stereoscopic HD for starters.

All they need to do is hack in some manual camera controls and you've got Metroid Prime Trilogy in VR. Dunno about you lot, but I'm carrying a bit of a nerdboner for that concept.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr E posted:

Did they ever fix the black bar issue in Prime 2 or the slowdown you get near Ridley in Prime 1?

Not checked lately, but their last few big dev-blog posts reported huge speed improvements on some games, so if not yet, then it's only a matter of time.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

If you want a picture of Mario RPG, imagine an Italian plumber stamping on a shark's face - forever.

For some reason, I find it very funny how Bowser and Geno just stand there, staring up at Mario as he stomps his enemies into paste.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This bonus boss rush run is kinda bonkers. Just about everything is instant death, against amped up versions of everything, and locked to level 1? Intense.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Something additionally mindblowing: Vanquish is one of the very, very few console shooters with absolutely zero auto-aim, sticky reticule, etc etc. No assists, unless you're playing on the training wheels 'Auto Casual' difficulty, which Halfcoordinated isn't.

So yeah, he's bombing around on rocket boots and popping long range headshots constantly, one-handed, no assists.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

UraniumAnchor posted:

Normally I try to avoid making my opinions on potential schedule drama known, but I'm so glad we got this instead of Minecraft. :allears:

That was going to be a random seed Minecraft run, right? There is no way that should ever have been even considered. Fixed seed, maybe - last time was remarkably cool - but random? No loving way.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kikas posted:

Crystal Viper got chumped so fast holy poo poo :psyduck:

Back when the game first came out, many goons declared the shotgun useless, and that Crystal Viper was their biggest sticking point.

I am SO glad that I had upgraded the shotgun, because it wrecks his stupid crystal robot face. A good rule of thumb with Platinum's games is that the more melee-focused a boss seems to be, the closer you want to be to it.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 10, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

"Why is there a super powered old guy fighting a ninja?"

Armstrong isn't just any old guy. He's motherfucking Hulked Out Dick Cheney. The source of his invincibility is literally his evil nanomachine pacemaker.

Metal Gear is not a politically subtle series.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This run reminds me just how unfinished some parts of Dark Souls 2 look. Some areas are gorgeous, like the starting town, parts of the dragon aerie, etc, and other areas literally look like they were pushed out half-finished, unlit and without a final texture pass. Just jack up the ambient lighting, scrap the shadowmaps and ship it. A lot of Brightstone Cove is just downright fugly, far worse than anything in the original Dark Souls.

Fingers crossed that the HD re-release later this year cleans that stuff up. A lot of the ugliest areas showed up in pre-release trailers looking much nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cool Jenovas don't look at explosions.

• Locked thread