Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

One of my friends was supposed to OBLISERV for a 36 month "shore" duty tour that he didn't want to go to. He signed the paperwork on the ship but it never made it into his record. He noticed after reporting that his EAOS never changed and brought it up. Eventually, they tried to make him sign an OBLIVSERV paper the day after he got hosed over for something unrelated so he was in a lovely mood... so he said "nope."

He got poo poo on by the chain of command for it and almost caved. He figured since he'd already gone through the worst of it with the CoC that he'd stick to his guns and ride it out no matter how much they hosed with him.

He got out and was immediately hired. The Navy is just a distant memory for him now.

So, pretty much you never have to sign anything and if someone in admin fucks up the paperwork it's on them and not you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Pandasmores posted:

So, pretty much you never have to sign anything and if someone in admin fucks up the paperwork it's on them and not you?

I am not a legal person but it worked out for my friend in that particular circumstance. I'm sure they could've hosed him substantially worse than the mild yelling at he got.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

I am not a legal person but it worked out for my friend in that particular circumstance. I'm sure they could've hosed him substantially worse than the mild yelling at he got.

That exact same situation happened at my command, he refused to sign and he also got out. If they don't have the paperwork what are they going to do?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

It's always awesomely funny when failure to OBLISERV slips past Admin/PSD. It requires multiple levels of ineptitude to happen.

The command can try to pursue an RE-4 DD-214 for you, which would bar you from future reenlistments, but they probably won't.

In other news, I'm on week 3 of 4 at ECS. Shooting guns all day is pretty loving cool, but man, Gulfport is total garbage. Glad I have a friend in Louisiana.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

How many of you went to FSU or were stationed around that area? I know Mr. Nice! went to FSU for sta21. I am considering graduate studies and they have one of the programs I am interested in. Is the campus nice? What about the area around there? I've lived in Florida when I was growing up still have a moderate level of hate for the state.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

How many of you went to FSU or were stationed around that area? I know Mr. Nice! went to FSU for sta21. I am considering graduate studies and they have one of the programs I am interested in. Is the campus nice? What about the area around there? I've lived in Florida when I was growing up still have a moderate level of hate for the state.

I personally think the town is a dump but the campus isn't bad. Great night life obviously if that's important to you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

I personally think the town is a dump but the campus isn't bad. Great night life obviously if that's important to you.

It's shocking how much they have given the town a facelift. Tallahassee has had huge sections of town completely rebuilt in the past 5 years.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

DustyNuts posted:

It's always awesomely funny when failure to OBLISERV slips past Admin/PSD. It requires multiple levels of ineptitude to happen.

The command can try to pursue an RE-4 DD-214 for you, which would bar you from future reenlistments, but they probably won't.

In other news, I'm on week 3 of 4 at ECS. Shooting guns all day is pretty loving cool, but man, Gulfport is total garbage. Glad I have a friend in Louisiana.

Did you ever end up checking out Michael's?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

I know, I use your Nuke experience as a general warning for some of my friends. So far everyone has ended up either failing out because the math is hard or they have a nervous breakdown halfway through school. Currently one of my friends that recently got married and moved out there is getting more and more dependa as her husband goes through school.

Off that topic though, what was everyone's favorite duty stations? It's that time of year here when everyone leaves and I'm stuck just thinking about what it's like to hit up a new place and figure out everything, but I'm stuck here for a hot minute.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Edit: nevermind. Found it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Off that topic though, what was everyone's favorite duty stations?

Colorado was great. If there was no winter I would have stayed. They have a few HM spots. Two good CO/XO/CMC combos in a row mean they are due for a dud soon though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For the rest of my life I will miss the years I spent in Hawaii.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Whidbey Island. Terrible place if you are a young single Sailor but I was married when I got there.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Whidbey Island. Terrible place if you are a young single Sailor but I was married when I got there.

Me too!

Whidbey Island is a terrible place to get divorced.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Ballston Spa, NY was pretty ideal for rotating shift work. Once a month we'd get a 4 day weekend and Ballston is 4 hours from Montreal and 4 hours from NYC. Never go to goto fleetweek though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Pandasmores posted:

I know, I use your Nuke experience as a general warning for some of my friends. So far everyone has ended up either failing out because the math is hard

?

The hardest math is having to use the "sin" "cos" and "tan" buttons on your calculator if you're an EM. Everything else is arithmetic, basic algebra, and the occasional logarithm that you type into your calculator. It's 10th grade math.

If they try to say "but it's nuclear physics!" then politely tell them its not. It's an algebra-based interpretation of nuclear physics where the hardest thing you have to do is multiply numbers together or use the square root button on their calculator.

Only reason nuke school is hard is that they cram a lot of material into a short amount of time.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Nuke math seems hard because most people who are looking at doing it are 17 year olds who just finished algebra and are sitting at MEPs hearing "nuclear physics". Obviously I haven't been to nuke school, but I know a handful of nukes who all say it was about as easy as KetTarma claims. Really no A-School should be "hard" if you keep your wits about you, they are literally all designed so that a seventeen year old could pass if yelled at enough. They're mostly stressful just due to the time constraints and the material depth.

Also, seeking new orders sucks when you're in a really limited rating. TIO and JSOC told me to gently caress off because my language scores aren't above 2/2 (hint: Haven't used my language in over two years). Even though the billets I'd fill don't deal with language at all even in a tiny amount, I'd be working alongside CTRs and CTTs and I've literally got all of the DoD classes and civ certs their training is comprised of, I'm a CTI so I better exceed all applicable standards to be a naval warrior. Navy was a real rear end about it, none of the other branches programs were nearly as harsh with talking to me about their programs. I envy those of you in ratings that have more than three options available to them. Since I can't do anything until I get a new rating and aren't held back by hajispeak anymore looks like if I don't get my CTN crossrate I'll just separate and get a contracting job. :shrug:

Feels weird that I keep getting good contracting offers, but I can't get the navy to want jack poo poo to do with me. It's like I have to start dressing sluttier and hitting on the navy's best friend just to get a sideways glance before I head to the battered sailor's shelter.

tl;dr :negative: i just want to be loved

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Monterey is the best duty station in the Navy and I will brook no argument to the contrary.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Analogical posted:

tl;dr :negative: i just want to be loved

The IDC loves you. Just come on back, babe, I swear I won't hit you again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Monterey is the best duty station in the Navy and I will brook no argument to the contrary.

Counterpoint: DLI is there.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

I agree that Monterey was great. My girlfriend and I have gone back just for a week to chill out, since we knew the area and it's beautiful. But I can't go back for a new language and I don't qualify to be an instructor, so Monty being nice is pretty moot.

I did like that bar in the basement of the NPS hotel though for when I just wanted to chill out since nobody was ever in there except a few traveling O4+s.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Seconding the Monterey sentiments, except:

Do exchange tours count? Because the Switzerland, France, Spain and Australia tours are all pretty much the greatest thing that has ever happened. Noble only as far as I know, but there are enlisted spots available in a few cool spots too (France, UK and Germany that I know of)

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Analogical posted:

I did like that bar in the basement of the NPS hotel though for when I just wanted to chill out since nobody was ever in there except a few traveling O4+s.

Trident Room. Cheap beer and decent draft list -- apparently used to be open to the public pre-9/11. I took my mug with me when I left!

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Geizkragen posted:

Seconding the Monterey sentiments, except:

Do exchange tours count? Because the Switzerland, France, Spain and Australia tours are all pretty much the greatest thing that has ever happened.

There is a navy exchange program with Switzerland?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Are there any reserve Navy medical officers/nurses in this group? I'm beginning to put together my packet for flight nursing/trauma nursing in the Navy reserves. I did 6.5 years in the army guard, so I'm kind of knowing what to expect, but any insights on what things are really like would be helpful.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 29, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Are there any reserve Navy medical officers/nurses in this group? I'm beginning to put together my packet for flight nursing/trauma nursing in the Navy reserves. I did 6.5 years in the army guard, so I'm kind of knowing what to expect, but any insights on what things are really like would be helpful.

Main medical officer stuff I know is just the active ones that used the Navy to get their fellowships and stuff paid for, sorry dude. Edit: Have you asked in the questions thread? I know it's mostly filled with officers and personnel in non-medical stuff, but they may know someone.

I've heard the best things about Monterey, I think I'll head out there some weekend now that my friend who got kicked from DLI for "being in a car accident" is gone to another duty station and won't try to ruin it by hitting on random women while he was married.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 29, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

thats my second go to thread, I just wasn't certain if there was a "go to person" to ask such things about.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MurderBot posted:

thats my second go to thread, I just wasn't certain if there was a "go to person" to ask such things about.

Maybe the officer recruiters? Another wealth of information could also be an officer at a NOSC, although during drill weekends they're usually busy doing work and when they're not at the NOSC I imagine they have like a private practice or something to go to. I would ask my department head how she got her gig, but then again she went through the Navy for medical school in general. I'll ask and see if she knows anyone that's done it. Do you already have your license/nursing degree or are you looking at having the Navy pay for it?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My orders to the WHCA got dropped two days ago after I was fully accepted to the point that they were sending me welcome aboard packets because they found out that they can't fit an FTS sailor into active billets. :smith:

The only upside to this is that my detailer is my previous chief who is awesome, and that if I don't get absurd orders I get to get out of the Navy.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Seqenenra posted:

There is a navy exchange program with Switzerland?

Yeah we sold them Hornets back in 98. There's been an exchange with the east coast FRS ever since.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Maybe the officer recruiters? Another wealth of information could also be an officer at a NOSC, although during drill weekends they're usually busy doing work and when they're not at the NOSC I imagine they have like a private practice or something to go to. I would ask my department head how she got her gig, but then again she went through the Navy for medical school in general. I'll ask and see if she knows anyone that's done it. Do you already have your license/nursing degree or are you looking at having the Navy pay for it?

I've already talked with the med navy recruiter here. Her billet is healthcare administration and has nothing but active duty time on her hands so I didn't really pick her brain about reserve training/drilling. All she really knew is that I did 12 days of "indoctrination" and I return to my drill site and that's it.

I've got my Bachelors in Nursing already, I meet all the pre-reqs, all that's going to happen now is we wait until the next fiscal year and submit it. Then it's just crossing my fingers and hoping a flight nurse billet opens up.

I was just curious on what drill weekends are like, what nurses primarily do during the drill and blah blah blah, all that poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My roommate is insist about getting a tattoo this weekend. Anyone know of a decent place in Pensacola were the chances of getting hepatitis are lower and the quality is good?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

My roommate is insist about getting a tattoo this weekend. Anyone know of a decent place in Pensacola were the chances of getting hepatitis are lower and the quality is good?

:lol:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Why waste the money in town? I loving guarantee if you go out to the smoke pit and start talking you can find out who in the barracks is totally doing tattoos!

I'm not joking either, somebody is always doing them. They will be terrible, andyou will probably get an infection, but at least you wil, probably only have to buy some beer instead of payin 80 or 90 bux an hour for the same privilege.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bengy81 posted:

Why waste the money in town? I loving guarantee if you go out to the smoke pit and start talking you can find out who in the barracks is totally doing tattoos!

I'm not joking either, somebody is always doing them. They will be terrible, andyou will probably get an infection, but at least you wil, probably only have to buy some beer instead of payin 80 or 90 bux an hour for the same privilege.

Yeaaaah I don't plan on getting one right now. He's my 18yr old division buddy. I'm 37 and feel duty bound to help him him make vaguely decent choices as long as it doesn't take much effort.

He honestly just want to walk to shop right in front of the base. Sigh.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeaaaah I don't plan on getting one right now. He's my 18yr old division buddy. I'm 37 and feel duty bound to help him him make vaguely decent choices as long as it doesn't take much effort.

He is an idiot.

Black Sparrow or Hula Moon were the two best shops in town. Hula for American and bold color.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

It's your patriotic duty to take him to place across from base, right after you take him to the $2000 laptop place with the pretty chicks that wear too much perfume, and then you can celebrate his amazing decision making by getting him signed up for CLEP study guides FOR ONLY $99 A MONTH.

Edit: plz post pics of his SICK INK.
TIA

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 30, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel so sorry for you.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

They have real ribbons and devices so they're probably prior enlisted.

She's not. She has the Academy starter set. NDSM/Pistol/Rifle (and they used to give the Academy kids a MUC, to boot).

He's a prior HM (or some ratings attached to a USMC unit). That's a USMC GCM and a FMF pin. And no, he's not wearing a BSM.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hang on a sec. You're 37 and in A school? Am I reading that right?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

buttplug posted:

Hang on a sec. You're 37 and in A school? Am I reading that right?

Reservist you dummy.

• Locked thread