Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

When is it usually a good time to enroll into TAPS or whatever theyre calling it now? Hit my 4 years in 2 weeks, going to have a year left unless I choose to do early out to register for the Fall semester full-time. Doubt that would be realistic with how fast things move here and moving to a city in Texas I've never been to simply to go to school there. Couple of dudes using early outs to leave and get on welfare to play Destiny all day/join the French Foreign Legion to get away from the Navy bullshit makes me :lol:

Does the Navy pay a flat rate to move your stuff back to your home of record and is it confined to one city or just the state in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Cool, thanks for the answers dudes!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

When you have two Leave instructions governing where things are to be routed to, and on one there's education and training and on the other there isn't one, do you follow the most recent one or the one that is "more strict"?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

So NAS Pensacola,NAS Whiting Field won large and small installation of the year respectively.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha holy loving :lol:

Well at least we still have our galleys. Oh wait.... :negative:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hit my year mark, then time to drain GI bill money. There's comfort in not knowing any of your ship stuff. Shore warriors, CONUS force for good.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Vriess posted:

Chris Kyle was a racist psychopath who lied about everything he did and was killed by his own stupidity.

What I'm trying to say is that he'd be at home in GiP.

I don't know why they made a movie about him when there was a guy in Vietnam that had a pretty sick reputation in the Marines that seems like he'd be way cooler on film. Or the Finnish guy that killed a shitload of people and survived getting shot in the face. Didn't they also modify a few things to make it seem more tense than what he wrote in his book?

In other news, checked in on my BAH chit that's been sitting in admin since August, apparently it being "right next up" is a lie because the person that's supposed to sign before the CMC didn't even look at it. I've been laughing pretty hard since pulling it out, especially since other dudes that just checked in are getting theirs approved before me, or maybe they're getting lied to as well and theirs will mysteriously vanish in a bit.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

Anyone been stationed at Lemoore hospital in Cali?
I got 8404 to Pendleton then hold over orders at Lemoore as my first duty station.

Currently stationed here, I can send you a PM of different poo poo if you like.

Also it's not cows, it's poo poo.

And the DUI days counter is down to 5 last I saw. God bless America. :911:

Edit:

Wokrider, I sent you a PM for the general climate here. Pretty much stay out of trouble and your 2-3 years here (depending on your contract) should be uneventful and you can leave here that much closer to becoming a nurse or butt doctor or whatever it is you're striving for the Navy. Marine deployments probably won't come along, but you can probably go on the Mercy and get a surface warfare pin if the opportunity arises.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 27, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah it's the fmf pin. Anyone attached to a Marine unit can get it. Officer or enlisted. He does have a Marine good conduct medal so maybe he was a Marine for a bit and then went to the Navy and then got picked up for that while enlisted? I don't know. Those are midshipmen right? Officers wear gold ones but I guess they're not officers yet so idk

I did hear some poo poo that Marines could get that pin they just couldn't wear it. Also heard on ship they can get surface warfare and poo poo but can only wear it on ship. Never saw it though.

Yeah it looks like an FMF pin, but that could also be a bronze star instead of the Marine good conduct right? Or the reserve meritorious service medal?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Only bronze stars I've seen were on a Chief, an HM1, and a SEAL and they weren't that bright, at least compared to the maroon of the good conduct.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

One of my friends was supposed to OBLISERV for a 36 month "shore" duty tour that he didn't want to go to. He signed the paperwork on the ship but it never made it into his record. He noticed after reporting that his EAOS never changed and brought it up. Eventually, they tried to make him sign an OBLIVSERV paper the day after he got hosed over for something unrelated so he was in a lovely mood... so he said "nope."

He got poo poo on by the chain of command for it and almost caved. He figured since he'd already gone through the worst of it with the CoC that he'd stick to his guns and ride it out no matter how much they hosed with him.

He got out and was immediately hired. The Navy is just a distant memory for him now.

So, pretty much you never have to sign anything and if someone in admin fucks up the paperwork it's on them and not you?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

KetTarma posted:

I am not a legal person but it worked out for my friend in that particular circumstance. I'm sure they could've hosed him substantially worse than the mild yelling at he got.

I know, I use your Nuke experience as a general warning for some of my friends. So far everyone has ended up either failing out because the math is hard or they have a nervous breakdown halfway through school. Currently one of my friends that recently got married and moved out there is getting more and more dependa as her husband goes through school.

Off that topic though, what was everyone's favorite duty stations? It's that time of year here when everyone leaves and I'm stuck just thinking about what it's like to hit up a new place and figure out everything, but I'm stuck here for a hot minute.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Are there any reserve Navy medical officers/nurses in this group? I'm beginning to put together my packet for flight nursing/trauma nursing in the Navy reserves. I did 6.5 years in the army guard, so I'm kind of knowing what to expect, but any insights on what things are really like would be helpful.

Main medical officer stuff I know is just the active ones that used the Navy to get their fellowships and stuff paid for, sorry dude. Edit: Have you asked in the questions thread? I know it's mostly filled with officers and personnel in non-medical stuff, but they may know someone.

I've heard the best things about Monterey, I think I'll head out there some weekend now that my friend who got kicked from DLI for "being in a car accident" is gone to another duty station and won't try to ruin it by hitting on random women while he was married.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 29, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MurderBot posted:

thats my second go to thread, I just wasn't certain if there was a "go to person" to ask such things about.

Maybe the officer recruiters? Another wealth of information could also be an officer at a NOSC, although during drill weekends they're usually busy doing work and when they're not at the NOSC I imagine they have like a private practice or something to go to. I would ask my department head how she got her gig, but then again she went through the Navy for medical school in general. I'll ask and see if she knows anyone that's done it. Do you already have your license/nursing degree or are you looking at having the Navy pay for it?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

UoI posted:

I am extremely bad at Arma.

Dicks are p great, actually.

I made a sixty-four on the ASVAB and I apparently qualify for it, I'll be going to pick a job Wednesday.

Its a boring job honestly, made entertaining by the ways people injure themselves, but overall it's a bit discomforting if you care about your patients and see them get hosed by either medical or their commands. Which happens often if you're paying attention or even care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Yeah you can talk to either me or Nostalgia, we were at the same command but he's been on a ship and with the Marines for a stint whereas I'm shafted into one command per enlistment.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 3, 2015

• Locked thread