Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I think Neal is slowly going down the same route Gil Kane did, no layouts, no erasing. Once it's on the page it's on the page and he draws everything with a Sharpie.

Edit: I say this because when I saw him in Chicago some years back he was exclusively using Sharpies for every sketch he did.

Meh, I haven't been to a con, but I can't imagine anyone popular doing sketches with a pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cat beast is better, but I'm the weirdo who liked that donkey beast that showed up for two panels in SWORD or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not going to call it great art or anything, but aside from Monica Rambeu I thought Land was decent on Mighty Avengers. Especially when the writer was making him draw extra dimensional entities or chicken headed thugs.

His Rambeu wasn't even that bad, just obviously a white chick he gave dark skin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

All the most iconic covers are full of weird unexplained poo poo. Who's the terrified guy Spider-Man is carrying? Why is Superman destroying a car and terrifying everyone? If laser beams and rocket launcher haven't done the trick why does Iceman think that snowballs will - and where the hell is Beast swinging from?

I'm pretty sure that one is supposed to be (Amazing Fantasy 15 spoilers) the guy who killed Uncle Ben

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Is that Hickman stuff? There's not even any certainty that stuff will ever come to pass in the other books.

Yeah, evil alternate universe Avengers showed up in Hickman's Avengers and Odinson kept Thorr's hammer, which is mostly the same but the inscription reads "If He Be Unworthy..."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What other properties can benefit from strategic misspellings?

Banner could split into Bob and Bruce

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prefect posted:

People have said that Nick Fury whispered something in Thor's ear that made him unworthy. Is that true? Because it's not up to Thor; it's up to Mjolnir.

Yup, it happened in Original Sin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know she's not a well known character outside of comics, and I thought Brian Woods run on Adjectiveless X-Men was kinda boring, but I think Psylocke's new costume in that run is probably my favorite costume redesign in the pat decade (Danver's Captain Marvel suit might beat it)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wizbang posted:

So, a long time ago I saw a series of panels where Reed Richards convinces (demands) Johnny to drink something, then reveals it's water distilled from urine. Does anyone have that lying around?

I don't have the panels but that's from Warren Ellis' too brief run on Ultimate Fantastic Four. He wrote #'s 7-18 if that helps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So in Hickman's Avengers all of the universes are collapsing together and the Illuminati send Hank Pym to find the source of it. None of that's actually important, the most important piece of info from the latest New Avengers is that this universe exists (or at least used to).
(New Avengers 30)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I call it a flatula, because it is a spatula that is also flat!

Most spatulas are flat already.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I'm genuinely happy that you're consistently trying to get better lady-characters involved in your universe Marvel, but this already-dated "baiting the trolls" poo poo is only going to hurt you in the long run.

It's a single panel throwaway gag.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's a single panel throwaway gag.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Decius posted:

That's still very much current and not dated yet, since the loving GG still exists.

It's a great joke that I laughed at. I was just mystified at the people who were annoyed or offended by it, since it's literally one panel in a 22 page comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My favorite localized chain of burger joints is Dick's in Seattle. They've even been name checked in a President's of the United States song.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

I mean, if we're being all subjective about it every bit of American food I've had is garbage, but that probably because it's mostly lovely fast food that we get here. Though I've tried American cheese and Chocolate too and those were both loving awful, when I visited America we mostly ate stuff like steak and lobster and other fancy foods, or like Chinese food and such.

The Chinese food in America is pretty good, I seem to remember, though we couldn't find a decent curry or any kind of Indian food at all in the US, that alone makes it bottom of the barrel in the world stakes all on it's own if you ask me. We also couldn't really find a chippy, but I hesitate to refer to chippy food as good in any real sense of the world.

Oh yeah, the Five Guys in Glasgow is pretty divisive. A lot of people say it's amazing, but I thought it was kinda lovely, and I know a few other people who say the same. Like, If I wanted a poo poo burger I'd go to a Wetherspoons or something and it would only cost half as much.

Where were you in America? West Coast at least has tons of great Indian. And don't call the American fast food that opens in Europe, American food, that'd be like us calling Olive Garden Italian.

Also what's a chippy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

'Chippy/chippie' is slang for a fish and chips takeaway place. Most British cities will have one every 100 feet.

Ahh, there's a few of those in Seattle (and I imagine places on the east coast) but it's not a staple.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I love how lackadaisical Hellcat is about it. Can you imagine Alladin saying "Oops, I dropped the magic lamp, no use crying over spilt milk."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Deadpool has been scarily good at dragging up references that seem too stupid to be true.

I want to ride my skycycle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

If you haven't sung that along with the Queen song by now I don't even know what's wrong with you.

This is directed at everyone.

I would have, but that would require me not having Fat Bottomed Girls on repeat forever. (I'm on a tablet, someone else please post the Sex Criminals pages).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Isn't that also just basically his character from Two Guys and a Girl?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sizone posted:

Not really, but I never thought too highly of John Hughes.

Breakfast Club is one of my favorite movies, but that was loving terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goatface posted:

And none of it's canon anymore

None of it was ever canon to anything except itself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher having mammary glands is still canon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spider-Man and the X-Men might be the best comic featuring either Spider-Man or the X-Men in a very long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Faint praise.

Spidey's decent in Mighty Avengers too, but not a main character, so yeah it's not the highest bar

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It seems like he'd be able to do that without having an eye on his tongue tho.

Yeah, but it helps him get those hard to reach scraps of food from between his teeth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phylodox posted:

But does he have eyelids on all those eyes or are they, like, always open? Because if he can't close them...Jesus.
He probably has clear eyelids like alligators or something. Where can I pick up my no prize?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bobulus posted:

It won't be a problem until his Secondary Mutation, when he starts growing eyes inside his body. Like, constantly being hit with his stomach acid and stuff.

No his secondary mutation will be growing noses everywhere, but they have no enhanced smelling capabilities, he just has to smell a combination of his underwear and BO 24/7.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

So, is he the only teacher there with an actual teaching certificate? or did that get retconned with brand new day?

I'm sure a couple of them have teaching certificates from the bull poo poo school Xavier ran way back in the day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Did you ever read Brian Azzarello's Batman arc where there's this long scene dedicated to properly cooking a steak? Batman just has a thing about his beef.

Well done is the opposite of properly cooking steak.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'll never understand why Americans are so adamant about how to eat steaks. Do you guys also think there's a right and a wrong way to prepare toast?

Anecdotally there's an inverse relationship between how big my tip is and how long a customer wants their beef cooked. Also, if you think that'sthat's bad, get 3 different people from 3 different states in the same room and ask them the proper way to make chili.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

I think it's more "please don't or else the chat will explode into a 10 page tangent completely unrelated to the panel."
Same thing for the MLP comic. They might have funny parts, but they have a rather negative effect on the discussion.

No, the sonic thing was definitely because someone was posting way, way too many of them in short bursts. I'm pretty sure most of us can resist the urge to talk about Sonic.

I say post the panels as long as it's only a few and they are actually funny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, I gotta know how that one ends.

That's actually the entire sequence involving Punisher.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm afraid you're mistaken, it was almost immediately topped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

CzarChasm posted:

Uh-huh. Let me introduce you to my Japanese friend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
BREAK OUT!

I think the second one (starting at about 2:00) is even better. The love triangle is just perfect.
You're both wrong. The animation is better, but the songs aren't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

Why does Magneto appear to be attacking the x-mans by sending hydralisks at them?

Because they re-animated the intro, and after watching that the poor people of Japan had to then sit through the same animation we did. And somehow I bet the guy they got to dub Apocalypse wasn't as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

I am the rocks of the eternal shore. Crash upon me and be broken.

(Edit: Those alien things are The Brood, who were regular X-Men villains, but I don't think ever showed up in the cartoon)

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Wasn't that just him controlling them with the metal he'd threaded through their bodies (like he might do with Wolverine) instead of actually overriding their programming?

Nah, the way it appears on screen it looks like he changed their programming, and they continue to follow that programming even when he's distracted or otherwise occupied. I just thought of it as rewiring their circuit boards or something along those lines. It's best to just roll with it, it's not like they explained why Kitty Pryde suddenly had the ability to send people's minds into the past, but if she couldn't there wouldn't be any movie at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Nobody who's ever written a comic knows enough about genetics to actually depict chimerism in any way.

I think Brubeker could make a hell of a graphic novel out of it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just started reading Walter Simonson's Thor.
In this issue he can no longer transform into Donald Blake, so Nick Fury is hooking him up with a new civilian persona.

The Mighty Thor #341

Wait until you get to the part where his boss figures out his secret identity as Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

I was hoping for the reverse Google, but y'know, this works too:

That's actually not what I was talking about, but it is awesome and I need to know what it's from.