Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Original Starfire had a fair bit of "Oh, teach me about your strange Earth ways" to her. It's just that it tended to go hand-in-hand with "let me kiss you to learn English, Robin" that more dominated her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's no pocket large enough to fit a goon.

Unstable Molecules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everything that artist does looks almost that bad so it'd be one hell of a long-con if so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

If I want dinosaur comics I'll read dinosaur comics I don't need to see ryan north just regurgitate the same comedy style through Galactus

You're right. Every author should tell only a single story and then retire. Someone better go tell Hickman to cancel his Avengers run, I don't want to read Fantastic Four through The Avengers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

His page-by-page breakdown of the BTTF novelization was really fun to read, but it's long, so I recommend not trying to cram it all at once.

Sorry to jump back but does anyone have a link to this? I'm curious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I always got the in universe logic for having a secret identity, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you dissect it, especially in the Silver age. What're they gonna do, hound him with the press? Put the woman or kid that's already always in loving peril in MORE peril? If someone held Lois hostage Superman could've just made some kinda dumbassed robot to distract them while he shrunk down to the size of an atom and flew into their brain to take direct control of them, and if it was Jimmy well he'd just shrug his shoulders and fart in Jimmy's face so the captor would be like 'OH THIS GUY ISN'T IMPORTANT TO SUPERMAN AT ALL, WHAT GOOD IS HE TO ME I'LL LET HIM GO.'

Well, his Ma and Pa for one are mild mannered folks. One of the first things Conduit did for example was go after them. Lois and Jimmy are in danger pretty often but Superman has people close to him who are not.

It also provides a way for him to actually, y'know, exist outside of being Superman. The same story I mentioned above had a scene where Lois forces him to go and get coffee as Superman and it's a genuinely uncomfortable situation where everyone is gawking at him, nobody can really talk directly to him and everyone is afraid there is about to be a super-disaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LoonShia posted:

I have a more significant question: Where's his mustache?

He shaved it.

He's kinda like that in Arkham Knight too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is sort of remarkable how much better Silk is in her own series compared to "oh peter, please give me your spider-cock"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Gardner, like most of the non-Hal GLs, didn't really begin that way. He was a social worker who got the ring and was presented as an equal choice to Hal, it was just that Hal was closer to Abin Sur when the call went out. A series of "Hal fucks up" left him in a coma with brain damage and that, plus Hal being an rear end in a top hat, lead to Guy being gradually written as more of a dick. JLI really solidified the dude as "giant rear end in a top hat" but he wasn't initially that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's okay guys, Geoff Johns said she was legal in space years so that makes it okay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

I thought the personality shift came when he crawled under the console to get his ring, got spooked by a rat under there, and cracked his skull on the underside of the console.

Yeah, that's what happened.

It was also Lobo (I think?) who punched him back into being an rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there anything Steve Ditko didn't hate?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

If I was a small boy reading that comic I would be irritated that the writers apparently thought I was a petulant little poo poo who gets owned by everyone around him , and I'd probably identify more with Damian who is cool and helpful to the grown ups.

Yeah, this isn't "you, the young kid, are a hero" it is "A rapidly aging adult tries to write what you, the young kid, are with unsubtle bitterness."

SynthOrange posted:

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #8Cat Thor #1

This however is great.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 12, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You don't need the force to use a lightsaber, Han uses one in Empire Strikes Back and if it was an issue of safety then why would being slightly weaker matter at all, it isn't like you're going to cut your hand off LESS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Not use it, but wield it effectively in combat. Something about how the blade is weightless (or incredibly heavy, depending on your source, because Star Wars). You can't twirl something around like that if there's no weight to add momentum or what have you.

Yeah, but that doesn't really explain how a 'lightfoil' would be any better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

No squirrel girl is way dumb, and her fans are amongst the worst fandoms out there, so it's no surprise the luuuuuuuurrrv how wacky and shippy and random and quirky the book is.

True. It lacks the subtle normality of an atomic-powered Tesla robot who fights Cthulhu and Ghost Zombie Edison.

(Posting a panel because I think both Atomic Robot and Squirrel Girl are funny.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This is one of my favorite moments in comics.

http://imgur.com/a/qHH9s

I have to say that the utterly horrified and broken look on Captain Marvel's face kinda moves that from funny to 'incredibly disturbing' to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

She's wearing a mask.

It's almost like wide-eyed and staring off into space doesn't actually get hidden by a mask over your mouth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

It's almost like your projecting you're own feelings onto the panels.

I enjoy that I'm apparently supposed to be offended or upset by the idea that I'm 'projecting my feelings' of a character looking unhappy as they describe their rape.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Do you enjoy being wrong? Because you are.

I'm not really clear what your argument is here. Like even if you're completely right then it is a massively creepy rape joke where a writer tries to use the time a character was physically and emotionally abused as a punchline of "haha, well, you probably won't get raped by your child like I did!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

If I told you it was Bendis would that answer your questions?

Anyway the joke isn't "haha I got raped" it's "haha old comics were hosed up, huh"

Like when we do the "Recommend Avengers #200" joke is it because we think it's funny that Carol got raped or that it's funny that Marvel published such a hosed up story back in the day.

It's... not really 'old comics are hosed up' when a character is describing a thing that happened to them. Like yeah it happened in a hosed up old comic but it's not an in-joke to something now out of continuity, it's a character describing their rape that (in-story) actually happened to them.

Since Rape is very close to the Least Funny Thing there is, here is an example of old comics being hosed up in funny ways that is hopefully more on-topic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I remember when he was a giant generic edgy antihero dude.

Thank goodness we moved past that.

Sadly he kinda-died and they basically wrote his plot off so next time he shows up he'll probably be that again. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That has to be blasphemy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh hey, is that the gorgon girl from the Incredible Herc?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red sun is always kind of iffy.

At times it is just "red sun doesn't give Superman energy and so his batteries will eventually run dry." But since "Superman's batteries run dry" is a process that takes a small eternity it has become "it actively saps his power" to make it more significant.

There is no good reason why it should HURT him though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

Boss........ I wrote a comic with Wonder Woman calling some random guy a "sperm bank". Come back to base when you can to check it out.

He said Miller, not Huey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure the comics themselves introduced it as "a thing Ben said to Peter" long before that.

Peter wasn't there when Ben died after all, he just came home and found it happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The terrifying truth of Green Lanterns is that John Stewart is the most competent and Guy loving Gardner is the second most competent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

Are you sure you have those two in the right order?

John Stewart did not accidentally concuss himself trying to retrieve a ring from under a computer nor did he once get trapped in a giant yellow banana billboard by the Royal Flush Gang.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet they were not destroyed. The planet was.

The universe was destroyed by Hal actually it just got remade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Wasn't Guy also a pretty normal upstanding person until life poo poo on him in several ways?

He was a social worker until Hal basically ruined his life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Wait what? where did this happen?

Also what made Kyle such a screwup? He was a fine Lantern pre-flashpoint. Before they forced him into that ridiculous countdown miniseries with Donna Troy and Red hood that is.

It was called Zero Hour. Hal Jordan destroyed the universe but it got recreated with a new big bang. They used this as a chance to soft-retcon stuff like Batman no longer knew who murdered his parents.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No, he's talking about Countdown [To Final Crisis], which is best known for a) Superboy Prime saying things like "I'LL KILL YOU TO DEATH" b) the Jokester (he's like the Joker, but nice), c) Forerunner, and d) an evil Mary Marvel beating Donna Troy with Kyle Raynor.

He asked when Hal destroyed the universe, which was Zero Hour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The term "wetware" for cybernetic implants was perfect, I don't know why it didn't stick.

I thought it did? I've seen that term as recently as this year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Here is Spider-man making light of miscarriage.

I think this is from an issue of Marvel Team-Up.

I hope Spider-Man never mentioned this to Franklin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure that "robot" is Superman. IIRC the story is that they're on an island with dinosaurs and Superman is helping keep their existence secret but won't just ask Jimmy not to take pictures for some reason.

A lot of Superdickery makes sense when you realize that Superman's friends and loved ones are complete shits who won't listen to anything he tells them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boofchicken posted:

Slightly off topic, but why the hell is the continuity in DC so much more convoluted than Marvel? Maybe I am seeing it differently since I lean towards Marvel comics though.

It's a different kind of complex. DC reboots a lot. Marvel keeps continuity going and assumes everything is canon even when it makes no sense unless they explicitly remove it from canon.

Did you know Spider-Man once revealed his identity and then sold his marriage to Satan only for Satan to alter reality so he got hit by a brick so he didn't get married and then Spider-Man's friends helped him erase his identity which was somehow Satan's fault and that also erased Satan stealing his marriage except it didn't and all the events that happened to married Spider-Man still happened except the ones that didn't?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Did the Spidey-Mephisto deal really involve a brick hitting him at some point? If so, hahahaha

(This dazes him and then he chases a criminal to the edge of a cliff where a brick breaks, sending the criminal tumbling down onto him and knocking him out so he misses his wedding.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really need to read Howard the Duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit I can't remotely read that in JEJ's voice. It's too... snarky?