Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Well, I think you just gave me a new hobby.

I was about to ask how Doom eats, what with the mask and all, but then I remembered that Doom can toot a horn as he pleases. Surely that's gotta be trickier than shoving some food into your mouth-slot.

Honestly the trickiest thing is not to constantly toot one's own horn when one is Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I could see that art working if Wolverine's been possessed by the Wild Huntsman from Celtic myth -- that hair brought to mind an antler-topped pop-media Druid-style headpiece, but the satchel and the buckskin outfit say "Native American" to me.

Am I in the ballpark on either?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Red posted:

I need to see a panel where Doom reveals to Grimm his manipulation of local real estate, courier services, a bakery, and assisted living services to pull this off.

"I'm telling you, Stretch, Doom hisself was just here, gloatin' about how he did this! I just turned my head for a moment when I called ya to come see it and he wuz gone!"

"Of course he was, Ben, of course he was. Um, on a totally unrelated note I'm enforcing a mandatory vacation policy for all of us. I just set up a randomized before you called and it said you were first to go."

Actually rewrite that mentally to feature Johnny or Sue. Reed would at least believe that Doom could possibly appear and disappear without warning or triggering alarms and would eventually find the evidence leading back to Latveria. :doom:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

David D. Davidson posted:

Also there is probably one day a year where Doom just teleports to wherever Reed is when he's alone and just stands there giving him the finger and just teleports out whenever somebody else is in the room. Reed's workshop while it's empty, pulls out a green Sharpie, and corrects all the errors (mathematical and grammatical) in Reed's works in progress, perfectly mimicking Reed's handwriting. Reed doesn't tell anybody because nobody would believe him.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

Doctor Manhattan was actually based on that guy though. His name is "Professor Fat Man" and he's usually accompanied by his sidekick "Little Boy".
:perfect:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quippy Doom just seems...undignified, I guess?

Maybe I just don’t want my characters to grow and change, but Doom is at his best* when he’s either smug in his invincible ethical and personal superiority and letting you know how far below his attention you are, or befuddled by peasant heroes who are for some reason opposing his perfectly logical schemes that they are far too plebeian to understand.

(*All lies; Doom is at his best pulling $200 out of a credenza to pay Luke Cage.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phy posted:

I'm kind of lost and those panels are just making me a bit sad about Anton Yelchin.

I'm glad you posted this because on reading it my first thought was that if Chekov ever broke the fourth wall, this is how he'd do it (minus the "the" in the first panel).

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Precambrian posted:

"My father was a clown. His father was a clown. As was his father before him. I swore the Pagliacci Oath when I was sixteen, and if my art gets me murdered, I will go to Clownhalla, to my ancestors, with pride."

I would read a story about an ancient brotherhood of clowns going after the Joker for betraying their order.

But unfortunately it turns out that Joker set up some patsy to drop a dime on "suspicious clown-garbed agents", so the end of the issue would be a two page splash of a Marvel Hawkeye-style sequential illustration of Batman pulling all 12 of them out of their clown car and doing grizzly and severe orthopedic damage to each in turn

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My biggest complaint with (older) Astro City was the Confessor naming his sidekick "Altar Boy" instead of "the Acolyte", which is a superior name on all levels. But really, that's all I have to complain about when I decide to read something from the first four trades.*

The Nearness of You competes with Samaritan's introduction as my favorite AC story. Great stuff.

Haven't kept up religiously with the later stuff but everything I've read is gold. It's almost the Platonic Form of a Comic Book.

(* I know what he was going for with the Mock Turtle, but I sometimes think a whole issue was too much so we'll call it 1.5 complaints. But I suppose it wouldn't have had the same impact without the full issue. Maybe he could have told intertwined stories, introducing a local up-and-comer who got by on his brawn and toughness as a counterpoint, for that issue?)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skwirl posted:

Is it called DoomSpace or Face Doom?

DoomSpace, or as you incorrectly refer to it, Earth

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Bizarro am carry house to printer now."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

IUG posted:

Twelve seconds in a year? And the third letter of that is an E.

Second of January, etc. But yeah I don't get the T/E thing on the third letter

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This is my astral form, which is actually and legally distinct from my physical form. Furthermore, officer, I was not flying, I was traveling, when you interceded, in clear and direct violation of the UCC. Now by the Hoary Host of Hoggoth, begone, for I do not wish to create joinder with you.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My first thought was The Main Man would have such an issue with so many posers biting his style that Space Vegas would just be one big crater, but maybe he likes it enough that he won't frag all the bastiches with a small moon and it's not worth the trouble to wax each of them individually

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Keromaru5 posted:

Not sure about Catholic or Episcopalian, but Orthodox priests will bless just about anything you ask them to.

Eons ago, when I was teaching at a Catholic school, a priest to,d me a story about how he once blessed a broken-down old school bus to put people's minds at ease

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

…put them at ease about what? That it wouldn’t start driving itself?

The bus was broken-down in the sense that it was old and finicky but would still run; the blessing was so it wouldn't crap itself out while on a field trip or whatever. If I had to guess it was that a broke Catholic school couldn't afford a new one and had to keep the bus of Theseus running by repairing exactly what they could afford when it needed to be fixed

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This Dr. Strange doesn't astrally project. His shag-carpeted van resides on the Astral Plane.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I Love Loosies posted:

That must be the one cartoon were they didn't also switch the voices. Even as a kid i thought that was stupid and didn't make sense. Why would the voices change? It's the same body

I thought the best part of the episode was hearing Clancy Brown (the Kurrigan, Lex Luthor, Sgt. Zim, etc.) do his impression of Flash doing Flash's impression of Luthor. "Because I'm evil!"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

Cutlery rules.

One wrong swing from a baseball bat and he's gonna have a splitting headache

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage posted:

Weirdly the thing I find most upsetting is Superboy bursting through the side of the igloo.

It's only natural he's acting out after ruining a delicious poached penguin egg.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Love child of Jack Nicholson and Stan Lee looking pretty panicked by this development

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phy posted:

Wow, Jeffrey Combs' voice is even stronger in my head than Kevin Conroy.

As the Question or as Kite-Man? He's done both!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

Arkham Manor #2 (2015)

Second one reminds me of a JLU gag, executed better.

Amanda Waller is in the situation room. Red phone rings, she picks it up and answers, "Mr. President?"

Of course, it's Batman on the line.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bucnasti posted:

What I think about is all the ranks/titles that have never been used for superheroes.
There's plenty of Captains, some Majors, Generals, Commanders and even a few Sergeants, but where are Corporal Cannonfodder, Lieutenant Fisticuffs, or Admiral Amoeba?

Corporal Punishment must have been used somewhere besides as a throwaway joke in the Simpsons.

Has there ever been a Colonel Truth (or *sigh* Colonel O'Truth)?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Drakyn posted:

Hey, Marvo and his friend look familiar.

I don't know where this is from

Ah, Marvo and Monko, where you got the feeling that Monko was the hero and Marvo was the sidekick

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

That’s right; my sidekicks have unionized.

Didn't want to let this pass without note. Finally time spent in the r/r thread pays off!

(For anyone who doesn't get the reference, it's paraphrasing a Reddit post from a dom who claims their subs have unionized. Prime comedy.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

Strange Suspense Stories #75 (1965)

My cousin's husband's aunt's kid got autism from Space Vaccine, so I'm not going to risk it for Timmy. He can just rely on herd immunity if he gets exposed to vacuum.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikeJF posted:

For those who don't know, somehow the Star Trek: Lower Decks comics are being written by Ryan North of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Just waiting for Kevin Uxbridge to declare "Ha ha, Armus is a tool."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AfroSquirrel posted:

It might feel redundant to make a joke the show itself already did

Lol, I really have to watch LDS

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Has Punisher ever met Ghost Rider? If so, what did the penance stare do to him?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When I manspread it is with six billion legs. When I lounge on your armchair it is with three billion asses. Nothing like Darkseid's nethers have ever come among you before and never will again.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doom wouldn't snooze, because each moment extra he sleeps is a moment that fool is endangering humanity unchecked by the only person who could stop him. RICHAAARDS!!!! :doom:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Opopanax posted:

He very much, unambiguously does. Except for Superman

Well, he likes one more than Alan Moore does, then.

e: nvm, forgot about Moore's Superman stories. Guess there's something about him that gets even cape-haters to like him.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SimonChris posted:

There doesn't seem to be a thread for posting villains being huge dicks, but I find this hilarious due to the sheer unmitigated pettiness:

Superman #9 (1987)

The joke is that real-life rich assholes do way worse stuff. Come on, Luthor, this is just pathetic.

John Byrne's second-best part of his Superman reboot was fixing the pre-Crisis Superman power silliness.

The best part was turning Lex Luthor into a class IX bag of dicks. "No, dear, you must call me Lex now." The issue -- and I think it was #2 of the regular series -- where Luthor "discovers" Superman is Clark Kent is genius.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e:^^^ ignore my snark; I completely missed this. I was wondering how he got shot in the nipple, however.

Nipponophile posted:

Not only does it not have a ring, there aren't even any hands!

Bonus quibble: What is even going on with that bullet?

I think Wolverine's muscles are squeezing it out of his body, which is a thing muscles are known to do with foreign objects. It's why emergency surgery is a dying field.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 18, 2023

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Thanks, Jarvis. I know Hank's going to pull himself up by his boot flaps."
"Bootstraps, sir."
"I'm pretty sure it's boot flaps. See?" *Points toe out, wiggles foot*
" >sigh< Of course, sir. More Ovaltine?"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grendels Dad posted:

This looks atrocious all around. Is the guy falling backwards while torturing the other guy?

edit: like, Jesus Christ. If I asked one of my kids to draw a room, any room, and then asked another one to draw two people, and then cut them out and pasted them onto the room picture, that would still look better than this.

My first thought was dancing like Michael Madsen's character in Reservoir Dogs, but dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man & Wolverine #4 (2003)

Gross, Wolverine, those come out of your body...

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SimonChris posted:

Marvel: Ruins #1 (1995)

Corps of supreme being in orbit? Like all Galactus' heralds at once? Get a proofreader!

Like I'm sure that's the only thing to complain about w/r/t that comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

Legends #4 (1987)
Man, Legends was so, so bad. Like the worst crossover miniseries until Identity Crisis.