Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Newspaper Spider-Man: World's Greatest Detective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Was, and is again...

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/prez-2015/prez-1

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
My favorite bit of characterization from the classic G.I. Joe comics was that Roadblock, the heavy machine gunner, was an aspiring gourmet chef who joined the Army to earn tuition to prestigious culinary schools in France.

So when he's not doing this...

He can be found doing this...

Or this...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sugar and Spike from today's Legends of Tomorrow #1.
They're PI's who specialize in covering up superheroes wacky old golden/silver age stuff.

context:

additional context:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Probate X-O for not posting a panel.

Infinity Entity #1

Is the In-Betweener's power that of unreadable dialogue?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You can't just post that without the followup:

And a few more from the same run for good measure...

Incredible Hulk #84-86

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Wait, when did Death and Constantine do a safe sex PSA... and why?

It was the 90s, ...and it was the 90s.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

"Saw him in half, Whirlwind! For irony!" slayed me. :v:

That's some good dialogue.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The bird sitting on Gatecrasher's shoulder is Hard Boiled Henry.

from Excalibur #42

e: Now that I'm apparently reading Excalibur again, here's the greatest ever onomatopoeia for an exploding bathroom from the next issue.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2016

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda love the star trek animated series, if only because being animated allowed them to introduce really goofy alien crewmen and villains that live action on a shoestring budget could never allow.

That's something that Peter David's run was very good at as well (That's where the Sulu/M'ress page with the sonnet comes from), right up until Paramount stepped in and said "Quit making other characters interesting. You have to focus on the film crew only!" and all the neat characters he'd been developing quietly disappeared.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

poly and open-minded posted:

a new japanese shazam shows up and the wizards start scrambling to find a shinto god that starts with a "z"

The Japanese Shazam would only have the power of three gods.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Dr. Teethstraighter is a pro level callback. It's still Larry Hama writing this, yes?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The best part was that it was such a slow burn. It played out over about a year.

edit to add funny panels:

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 9, 2016

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Fantastic Four #527

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Later that same issue

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Red posted:

What does Cyclops' visor say? HAMOO ?

Edit: It must be WAHOO.

I'm pretty sure it's NANOO. A Mork from Ork reference, I guess.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roth posted:

It's on chapter 861 at around 17 pages a chapter, and releases 3 times a month so if it isn't already it's getting there.

Detective Conan is set to hit chapter 1000 in a few months.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
"Come with me if you want a lift" is way funnier than it has any right to be.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

My favourite is the clearly hastily rewritten rejected Batman spec scripts which lead to Rippy and Crashman, (Why they're that name, I dunno, but gently caress it who cares)

Man, this is dredging up long-forgotten memories... I think the story is that their characters of Rippy and Crashman had public lives as stuntmen. This would've been back when Evel Knievel was big, and people were trying to cash in on that (Johnny Blaze, Fall Guy, etc.)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

They're flying over the Savage Land, aren't they. I just know.

Nope, Magneto's secret island base in the Bermuda Triangle.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It would not surprise me to learn that those Girl Scouts are all secretly COBRA operatives.

You think COBRA would stoop so low as to indoctrinate children to do their dirty work???

Well, OK, maybe a little...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

John Dyne posted:

I'm not sure whether he's hoping the joes won't traumatize the little girls, or if he really thinks they will miss him and hit a scout when he's only ten feet away and two feet taller than everyone else.

I'm pretty sure I posted this in the Badass Panels thread a while back.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

That issue has this funny clueless senator talking about how he once choked on Chinese food earlier, too!

I HAVE SO MANY G.I. JOE PANELS JUST SITTING HERE READY TO GO!!!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I have SO MANY questions, but let's start with an easy one.

Why is there an apparently FULL SIZE submarine just gliding down the avenue?

Oh, that one's simple.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Look, much as I'd love to, I can't just hog the whole thread for G.I. Joe posting. I'll direct those of you with archives to my original Joe comic retrospectives located here and here, and those of you without archives to purchase archives.

Hopefully one of these days I can get my poo poo together and continue the series.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

gently caress, that sounds really interesting. Is this the thing that makes me buy archives!?

I only got through the first 40 issues, and if I ever get back to it, I plan to repost those, so don't drop :10bux: on my account.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Larry Hama's G.I. Joe was really, really good, y'all.

...goddamnit, am I going to have to pick my Let's Read back up?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, that's an angle I don't know if COBRA has tried yet - Get themselves declared a sovereign nation and then try and tempt away American citizens with promises of free guns and ammo, no EPA, no FDA, no DEA, no speed limits, no foreigners, and everyone speaks English. Isn't that lovely? And all we ask is that you swear allegiance to COBRA and fight and die for these freedoms.

Must... get home... so I... can post panels...

This last hour of work is going to drag.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
OK, you guys talked me into it.

Y'all come say hi to TFR.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Because that's where I started it in the first place.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

My absolute fav moment from a largely wonderful first 100 issues is the story where Cobra trick the US government into detonating a megaton's worth of explosive in the Gulf of Mexico to destroy a sham bunker on the sea bed, resulting in an earthquake that drags a big chunk of land up above sea level. Cobra immediately stake a claim on it and send in a squad of lawyers to the UN for official recognition as a sovereign state, which is granted. It ends with CC gleefully remarking that if you have enough money and buy the best lawyers, you can do anything you want while the Joes dejectedly slink off with their tails between their legs.

:911:

OK, OK, one more post, but only because I was just working on my writeup for that issue...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
In case there remains any doubt as to whether Cobra is the worst...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought Arkham was more for special cases like the criminally insane and those needing special containment.

The Gotham District Court has ruled the definition of "insane" to include "willing to fight Batman more than once".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

How long was Rogue a villain for? My main touchpoint with her is the 90's X-Men cartoon, so even though I know she was bad and stole Ms. Marvel's powers, I never really 'knew' her as a villain.

Only a year or so. Absorbing Carol's memories started driving her crazy, so she sought out Xavier for help not long after.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Am I the only one who saw Ghost in the Shell and thought "I wanna be an immortal cyborg." Yeah, I can't go swimming but I already don't go swimming.

In the manga, the Major actually scuba dives as a hobby.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

Unrelated.

The only thing I find unbelievable about this cover is that he isn't Jimmy Olsen and Superman isn't somehow responsible.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why was Professor X scum in the Ultimate universe?

Because Mark Millar was the first writer and set the tone for the series.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Selachian posted:

It's a bit surprising to remember that Sgt. Rock ran for over 400 issues when he's barely remembered today.

Anybody who "barely remembers" Joe Kubert can gently caress right on off out of this comics forum.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

He's also thematically coherent. Goblins don't even have eight legs.

Goblins also have zero interest in marrying one's aunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

How did the military manage to gather a whole tenth (or so) of US imports of TNT in any one place and package it without it accidentally exploding?

Even better, they did it in "SEVERAL MINUTES".