Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wouldn't most people take a look at the writing and go "yeah right Jimmy, as if :rolleye:"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I had absolutely no idea Namor had a last name :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Not gonna lie, I love things like this. Reminds me of a Spider-man comic, I wanna say early 2000s? He was out on a stakeout and hadn't had time to eat dinner, so he was hungry, and he ran into a dude eating some popcorn on the fire stairs of his apartment, and asked him for some popcorn, and the dude was like "Man, only in New York, I love this city." Anyone remember what that issue was?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

ASM vol. 2 #40

Thanks!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hold on a second, let's continue the Stardust conversation from last page. Until now, whenever I read a Stardust strip, I was operating under the assumption that "ha ha, funny, it's a nice parody of old-style superhero comics."

You're seriously telling me Stardust was 100% written, drawn and published absolutely and honestly unironically? :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Holy poo poo do I love newspaper Spider-Man :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Argue posted:

A yabba dabba good time indeed

...I think I'm going to need some context for this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Newspaper Spider-Man

In the current story arc, Peter and Mary Jane are driving across the US from New York to Los Angeles. While passing through New Mexico, they see a mysterious meteor-like object falling from the sky, decide to investigate, and stop by a local diner to ask if anyone's seen where the meteor landed.

In the diner, Ronan the Accuser was interrogating the local population to find where something he seeks is. The situation rapidly degenerates into fisticuffs between Peter and Ronan.

So we come to today's strip.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Some people own apes.

:nms: And some apes own people :nms:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

In case you're not reading the Comic Strip thread, The Phantom has been hitting it out of the park recently.

Context for the following is: a businessman wants to put the Phantom on a postage stamp, thinking he's only a legend despite everyone telling him not to loving do it. The Phantom decides to go and have a talk with him, and while approaching the mansion he's spotted by the businessman's driver, who knows he's real and has some history with him.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

Does Limbo have different levels, like the nine circles of Hell? How low can you go?

Until your shoulders touch the ground.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Are requests kosher in this thread? I'm trying to find a Spider-Man comic I remember reading where he chances upon two aliens fighting each other, and it looks like one of them is an escaped slave and the other is his master who's trying to recapture him. So Spidey launches into an impassionate speech saying that freedom and self-determination are universal right and so on, only for the "escapee" to interrupt him.

:raise: "I am not a slave."
:spidey: "What? But you called him 'master', didn't you? ...Oh god this is totally a sex thing isn't it."
:raise: "What, do things like this not exist on your planet?"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

It's Secret Wars Journal #3.

[Captain Marvel #10]

Thanks! :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I loving love the Phoenix getting all mad at the end there.

:same:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Why don't they have a backup plan anyway? Something like, if power fails then the room gets flooded with kryptonite gas?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sleepless Domain (it's a webcomic)

In this setting many girls have superpowers, which they use to fight monsters. While at school the protagonist Undine (blue-haired girl) is eating lunch with Heartful Punch, whose power is "punches things very hard".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Was it last time that Wade dropped a Game of Thrones spoiler on Black Panther and he got really mad about it? :allears:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

... How does that work? "If I had been immune to magic I couldn't have fought those magic-wielding aliens" is pretty dumb.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The following is from the Comic Strip thread.

A bit of background: Modesty Blaise is an extremely skilled crimelady-turned-spy, and Willie Garvin is her lifelong partner who is just as skilled if not more so. In this story they are on vacation on an island, and while scuba diving they are spotted by a trio of treasure hunters who are excavating a shipwreck, and who think Modesty and Willie have found the same shipwreck, so the treasure hunters decide to kidnap them and hold them until they're done removing the treasure from the wreck. Hilarity ensures.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Zaodai posted:

It makes you wonder how they even judge what peak human capacity would be in a world where there are people who are way stronger than "regular" humans. Even if you use Captain America as a baseline, he's still doped up on super serum, and ends up being stronger than way bigger guys who you'd end up seeing in World's Strongest Man or something.

It must suck to be the guy JUST on the other side of the line. "He has 100.002% of the strength of a peak human!" "BURN THE MUTANT!"

quote:

Several physical attributes particularly suit Phelps to swimming: his long, thin torso offers low drag; his arms span 6 feet 7 inches (201 cm)—disproportionate to his height of 6 feet 4 inches (193 cm)—and act as long, propulsive paddles; his relatively short legs lower drag, and perhaps add the speed enhancement of a hydrofoil; his size-14 feet provide the effect of flippers; and his hypermobile ankles can extend beyond the pointe of a ballet dancer, enabling him to whip his feet as if they were fins for maximum thrust through the water.

Michael Phelps would totally get pointed at as a mutant.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

From the Comic Strip Megathread: The Phantom is infiltrating a criminal's hideout to capture him and bring him to justice, and he runs across a room full of the criminal's henchmen. One of them gets up...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Bendis was a little ridiculous in having like every villain figure out spider man's identity, but there's this great moment after ultimate peterdies in which Flash is sitting in a clasroom going "uhhh.... was I the only one who didn't know Peter was spider man?"

I remember one issue where one of Ultimate Peter's classmates turns out to be a mutant (Ultimate Firestar I think?), her powers awaken during a party and she flies away in a panic. Another one of their classmates goes "Someone should go after her" and Peter says "Why are you all looking at me like that?", so the classmate says "Alright then, if you want it that way. OH GEE, I SURE WISH SPIDER-MAN WAS HERE, SO HE COULD GO AFTER HER AND TALK TO HER."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh my god I'd only ever saw the first one before, they're all perfect. They perfectly capture the essence of Peter Parker as a huge dork and as a friendly neighbourhood Spider-man :3:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Request: there was a page (from some Ultimate line comic I think?) where the heroes are having a cookout and Thor (I think?) is describing the food, and ends with "I tried to cook a lobster but suffered defeat" or something like that. Does anyone remember that?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Wanderer posted:

It's from a downtime issue relatively early in Hickman's Avengers, with art by Esad Ribic. Thor is cooking for a team barbecue and was defeated when he tried to grill a lobster.

Thanks to both of you :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright if you want to nitpick, then fine. Why is hobo Adam Jensen wearing blades on his back?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

wizards.jpg

(Source is Dungeon Meshi.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Elf Boyfriend and Tomboy Girlfriend is what you get when an and a tomboy date.

(Read right to left.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Spider-Man: Fake Red

Normal high school student Yu finds Spider-Man's suit in the trash and decides to wear it. After being nearly killed by Spidey's enemies several times, he ends up teaming up with the real Spider-Man to fight Mysterio (who knows Spider-Man's real identity). So now Peter has to fight while at the same time trying to prevent Yu from being murdered by Mysterio's illusions.

(That illusion is MJ, for the record.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Delicious in Dungeon

I'm dropping a spoiler tag here because while there's no plot spoilers in these panels, the issue's just been released today so people might want to read it first-hand.

Kabru, the guy in the first two panels, is listening to Misurn, the captain of a squad of "Canaries" (basically elf black ops), talk about his past. (Read right to left.)

(Delicious in Dungeon is published in English by Yen Press.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My Son Is Probably Gay, in which a mother accidentally checks her son's browsing history.

(The manga is actually super heartwarming because even though the son has not come out yet the mother is fully on board with his gayness and is secretly cheering on him the whole time.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The Four Of Them is a webcomic which is often about sibling rivalry. It's published in the "big vertical strip" format that's currently popular, so I've extracted the relevant parts.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

yes

but theres always more kids

Oda, the author of One Piece, has Q&A sections on his comic in the collected volumes. Like a year ago or so one of the questions was "How did Luffy and Zoro meet?" (For context, they met in like chapter 3 or 4 iirc, which was 20+ years ago.) So you already have new readers jumping in while having no idea on how the characters got where they are now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I appreciate this.

Darthemed posted:

The Vision and the Scarlet Witch #6 (1986)

<--TO BE CONTINUED--

quote:

Scarlet Spider #12 (2013)

...Why Belgians, specifically?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

She's about to commit a murder on a train with a bunch of people

I appreciate this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Girl Exorcist Reina

Reina Suzuno is a high school girl and an exorcist, and she's also a delinquent. Dyed hair, terrible attitude, the works.

One day her friends decide to have fun playing kokkuri-san (the japanese equivalent of an ouja board), and they accidentally summon a poltergeist, which refuses to break the contact and when they try to send it away forcibly starts making books, tables, chairs, and other stuff fly through the air, endangering them.

Reina arrives and punches the desk they're playing on really hard. Everything that had been flying through the air falls to the ground.

(Read right to left.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The Witch's Servant and the Demon King's Horns

Arsenio, the titular Witch's Servant, and Rei, a friend of his, are attacking the Demon King's castle, trying to obtain the King's horns as materials for a spell. But suddenly, Rei gets basically kidnapped by Rei's childhood friend, who wants to bring Rei back home, forcibly if needed; after a moment's hesitation, Arsenio dramatically jumps on one of the Demon King's magical horses to chase after Rei and the kidnapper.

(Read R-L.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Phy posted:

I have to believe the next panel is him ripping fat clouds and thinking, "Alright! My bong call worked!" ala Mr Pinkerton

No the next panel is Mephisto undoing his marriage to his wife.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess

(I was debating whether to put this here or in the Badass Panels thread, but in the end decided for here.)

The framing of this story is two friends playing an otome game and somehow their comments can be heard by some of the characters, and they use that to steer the story in the direction they want to (to avoid the Bad End, of course). But that's not really important for these pages.

A bunch of kids are students at a magic school. Artur (the long haired guy in these pages) asks his friend Sieg to introduce him to Finne (the girl, Sieg is the guy standing next to her in the first panel), because Finne is apparently very skilled at healing and support magic and Artur wants to ask her to switch classes and study to become a priestess and healer. Sieg replies, "But that's not actually true." Artur asks "What do you mean?", and Sieg says he will show him.

(Read right to left.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Flying Witch

Akane and Makoto are witches, and they're traveling back home to visit their parents. Their cat familiars are coming with them, but since cats aren't allowed on trains, they're pretending to be plushies, by staying really still whenever people are looking at them.

(Read right to left.)