Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

What happened to those robot tentacle things that guard the mansion? This is a gross violation of continuity! :arghfist::nixon:

After the seventeenth time they had to hose parts of Deadpool off of the tentacle-arms, Captain America gave in and gave Deadpool visitation privileges to the Mansion so as to preserve the mental health of the groundskeeping crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't that book drawn by Land? I wouldn't use the word great.

Honestly, the way those tie-ins were constructed - as largely a series of interconnected set-pieces - played to Land's... I hesitate to use the word "strengths" in connection with Greg Land, but there it is.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Wait.. how did Rocky blow himself up like that?

That's what he does. Rockslide doesn't actually have a physical body anymore; he forms one out of stone. If he feels like it, he can make the stones explode and go all shrapnel-y.

Interestingly, he forms his body from local stone, so if he detonates and reforms in someplace where the stones have unusual properties, he gains said properties, as he did when he and a bunch of the students were trapped in Limbo; being formed of Limbo-stone, he became immune to magic for a bit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

gently caress, I give up looking for the sex ed class panel where Rockslide asks why he still gets horny when he doesn't even have junk. Maybe I missed it while I was skimming the first year of WatX looking for it. One of you deviants has to have it saved, right?

First result of a Google Image Search for "Marvel Rockslide Doesn't Have Junk":

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I think the Spider Man No More! art is probably one of the most homaged I can think of, though (x) is a jerk is probably a close second.

Superman holding Supergirl's body on the cover of Crisis. That's got to be #1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Uh-huh. Let me introduce you to my Japanese friend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
BREAK OUT!

I think the second one (starting at about 2:00) is even better. The love triangle is just perfect.

I appreciate that Rogue gets to do more than wink at the camera in the second one.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I know that! I just thought he was the one to go ahead and make it a thing!

As I understand it, the consensus was pretty clear that Polaris thought she was Magneto's daughter once and then realized she was wrong and then everyone accepted "no, she's not" for decades until Austen said "Yeah, sure she is."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why can Archie of all things get so crazy?

Because they're not owned by a multinational conglomerate constantly breathing down their necks about "protecting our IP for future merchandising profitability."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I like to imagine that Death has flesh and the like, but it's invisible - Like how you can see the skeletal hands and skull.

Otherwise it's totally boob bones. All women have those right? ...right?

Death appears the way a person expects them to appear.

Deadpool expects Death to have a sweet rack. Deadpool expects everyone to have a sweet rack. To Deadpool's eyes, Wolverine has Pam Anderson's chest.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I'd like to point out that that DOOM mini was the one where he went through a series of shenanigans in order to get... a wish. A wish that would give him the power to erase his greatest enemy from existence.

Not Reed Richards.

Doom uses his one wish to eliminate his ability to feel guilt, thus eliminating his sole weakness.

This was an all-ages, Marvel Adventures-style book! It was amazing!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Nightcrawler's an ordained minister? When did that happen?

Mike Carey's run, IIRC. The one everyone forgets because it was concurrent with Morrison's New X-Men. Then Chuck Austen came along, and, well...

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong; Joe Casey. Mike Carey's run was later.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 18, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kramjacks posted:

I don't even really get the joke. Why are Brand and Beast that offended by someone saying "loving" during an argument?

Because it's Cyclops.

They were probably shocked that Scott actually knew the word, much less was able to say it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gavok posted:

No, Who is Jim Neidhart.

Um, The Anvil. Duh.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Decius posted:

Anonymous sperm donor. So probably will turn out to be Thanos or the Beyonder two writers down the road.

It'll turn out to be Marcus from Avengers #200. "But Carol, it was less creepy this way, don't you see? I hijacked your friend's womb this time! And she was okay with it! Wait why are you guys hitting me again owwww"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Tell me he's got a fantastically silly name :allears:

Who, the monster? Why, that's the American Kaiju!

Or did you mean General Robert L. Maverick?

....oh God I just noticed that the soldier who got all the super-science shoved into him is named "Todd Ziller" holy poo poo that is beautiful

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's okay, ImpAtom, you're welcome to hide in our northern utopia if the Trumpocalypse happens.:canada:

Can the rest of us come too? :ohdear:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Who wins in a Bozhe Moi-off between Colossus, Black Widow and Cosmo?

Cosmo, because despite the depth of their stereotypical accents neither Colossus nor Black Widow is a Good Dog.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Onmi posted:

Also seriously anyone here who's been burned by Marvel, give Rebirth a chance because it's got legitimately good comics.

From Titans. I don't know about everyone else but I love when Superhero's have to sort out the logistics of being Superheroes with normal people

I would like to note that this Titans issue was great, in that it had Wally West (from the pre-New52 universe, now stranded in whatever the current DC continuity is) hanging out with Superman (from the pre-New52 universe, now stranded in whatever the current DC continuity is).

Like, who else are they gonna talk to about this poo poo?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

redbackground posted:

Upset that that's not a Deadpool's Guide to Super Villains card in the last panel. C'mon!

Spider-Gwen is from an alternate universe, they don't have Deadpool's Guide there.

Poor other universe.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Shouldn't he be more of a Batgirl villain then??

Charles Brown does not fight the little red-haired (Bat)girl

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

dude what is up with Superman's face?

Forget it, Jake. It's Millertown.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alfred Molina as Dock Ock. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

prefect posted:

Roy Orbison would have been perfect.

Well yes, but he was deceased at the time IIRC.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

That Alpha Flight page can never be appreciated enough.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Selachian posted:

And that's not even the grossest thing Ellison published in Dangerous Visions. (Look up Piers Anthony's "In the Barn." Gwan, I dare yas.)

Dammit why do I take these dares I should know better

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

flosofl posted:

:stare:

I thought you were making a joke. Then I went to Google.

......holy poo poo, Legion!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Hulk Smash! posted:

It was basically Russian Nick Fury. No appearance by Lenin in that issue (except on the overalls).

Alexei Vazhin has a longer history than you might expect; he was one of Claremont's go-to "intelligence operatives who aren't Nick Fury" characters.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pacra posted:

Anyway. Here's Cap being a gym dick to the D-Man! (Should be from Avengers Vol. 3)

Nope! It's from Captain America v1 #402.

For context, D-Man has just (like, the issue before... I think, but the timeline is convoluted because a ton of books were derailed by Operation:Galactic Storm) been pulled out of the Arctic Ocean, where he was frozen in suspended animation for a while just like Cap back in the day, and was in shock; he was compliant, able to understand what he was told, but entirely non-responsive. Cap was actually trying to get some kind of response out of him and jar him back to some semblance of sanity.

Steve Rogers is not being a gym dick to D-Man! He's trying to help! D-Man is his friend! And also my friend, and cool and good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I reread Gruenwald's Cap run recently and anyone who says D-Man is bad is a horrible person and I will fight them. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

prefect posted:

That's also what I did when I first found out about him. I didn't know it was a real word. :downs:

I pronounced it wrong for years until the local arcade got the Captain America and the Avengers machine and many quarters later I heard Captain America say "Thank you, Submariner!" and realized I had been wrong all this time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

No, we just forget their's timezones that aren't on coasts.

We forget there're people that aren't on coasts.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

prefect posted:

It was so hard to walk away from that. :argh:

At least once I convinced my Dad to give me more quarters because of that line. "But dad! I'm not asking for me! You heard him, it's for America!" I learned a valuable lesson that day - make people laugh hard enough, and they will give you things.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Frankly I'm more distracted by Stan Lee (at least, I'm assuming that's him writing that blurb on the cover, sure sounds like him) calling a new villain a prize pussycat. Was that ever a thing people were called?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga3I5DTIA-E

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

10 Beers posted:

What WERE Puck's powers?

1. Excellent gymnast.
2. Can fit in small places
3. Knows Wolverine

He was also, IIRC, preternaturally tough; there was something about him being a seven foot tall dude compressed to a smaller form (because he had a demon living inside him) that made him more dense, or some nonsense like that.

Oh, and he was a living prison for a demon. That too, I guess.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Is it just on BSS that Claremont is only known as the weird fetish guy and not the guy who made the X-Men worth reading for a full decade?

It's a big world; he can be both.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's kind of dumb to me that Claremont has been retconned as "the weird fetish guy." Lots of sci-fi authors, really good ones even, have written about the intersection between the possibility of paranormal power and human depravity, because people are generally hosed up and horrible, but I guess it's fashionable to kill one's idols and etc etc.

I mean, if you want to do anything with characters who apparently possess power over the human mind beyond "I command you to open the safe and give me bundles of twenty-dollar bills," it's probably going to get weird. I get that the hand-wringy crowd has "this is NOT OK" as a keyboard macro, and yeah, you know, maybe it's not supposed to be OK. It's body horror.

See, here's the thing - you can point out and, yes, mock Claremont's tendency to put "weird fetish stuff" in his stories while still, at the same time, understanding that he was a fantastic comics writer who turned the X-Men into something worth reading and then kept them there for way longer than he had any right to.

This being the Funny Panels Thread, it seems to me like the focus is probably going to be on the inherent humor to be found in "what's with all the fetishy poo poo", and that's okay, because even if no one uses a disclaimer in their posts we can all understand that "this thing is funny" does not equate to "this writer is bad" or even "this writer has no value beyond our amusement." Some really good writers and artists have ended up in the Funny Panels Thread, and that does not mean that they are bad, it just means that those panels are funny.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Actually they could be a separate version of the X-Men created by Mojo after the X-Men appeared to die and he needed more content. both of those are things that happened.

It's the separate version. There's even a bit where something (I forget what) happens to update their costumes to the then-modern X-Men costumes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

At the same time?

No, see, Mojo reverted the X-Men to kids and they got good ratings in the Mojoverse so when they escaped and were re-aged he didn't want to lose the show. So he created a wholly separate set of X-Babies so he could keep filming their adventures and get those sweet, sweet Nielsen numbers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

would spider-man still freak out if he unexpectedly found a big spider on him or is he immune to that as part of his powers

Well, he would know the spider wasn't a threat to him because his spider-sense wouldn't be tingling, so he probably wouldn't freak out.

He might still startle a little, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Larry Hama's G.I. Joe was really, really good, y'all.