Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Say Nothing posted:

Someone at Marvel watched The Hunger Games and thought "Hey, let's do that!".

To be fair, I don't see the problem in looking at *popular thing* and doing a story aping *popular thing*. And 'bunch of dudes in an arena' isn't exactly untrodden territory for comic books. In fact, I LOVE the bringing back of Arcade in that series, doing a Hunger Games/Battle Royale ripoff is exactly his territory (IIRC the comic us barefaced transparent about that, which I kinda liked)

What I'm saying is the premise wasn't flawed. Just everything else about it was. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Atmus posted:

Why is that rabbit holding a box of poo poo?

You'd prefer he just left it on the floor?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

IUG posted:

I guess his secondary mutation is to grow pants as well (or he just blew up his torso).

His secondary mutation is already well documented.

e: dunno source

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 1, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Lurdiak posted:

*Shoryuken*

Joe Kelly's Deadpool run, some issue, who cares, just read the entire run.

This issue was my first ever encounter with Deadpool. :3

e: fuggit, new page...

Strange Adventures 133

KayTee fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 2, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Dillbag posted:

Funny enough, there was a multi issue ASM team up with both Punisher and Moon Knight in the early 90's. I think Ghost Rider may have been involved too, but it was the early 90's and he was in everything

Dunno if this is the one you're thinking of but...

I remember seeing this on the shelf and immediately beginning to sing "One of these things..."

KayTee fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 12, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I once ran a Superhero Tabletop RPG set in the DC universe - one of my players isn't a comics person so was a little stuck for original ideas. He caught onto my Amalgam comics collection and figured he'd make an Amalgam character, that way he didn't have to come up with powers or backstory himself, he could just let two established characters do it for him - and he'd have an in-game excuse for not quite understanding the world he was in.

He chose Green Arrow and DarkHawk and, being a D&D nerd, named his Amalgam Greyhawk. And this was how I found out about Darkhawk, and I've had a soft-spot for the little Guyver rip-off ever since. I gave the player bonus hero points to start with for dredging up a character I'd never heard of.

And that's my story.

Here's some funny panels for your time:

Death's Head II #1
Marvel UK

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Chinaman7000 posted:

Anime designs that aren't robots are terrible.

You take that back.

(There's a much better Handsome Dad Hulk pic that I've seen in this thread's predecessor before, but I can't find it. :( )

KayTee fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 14, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why not just draw Wonder Woman as having badass full-body armor instead of making sure she is always wearing a plate bikini?

I mean if you want to go in the direction above but have it be slightly more cool+sensible, she would basically look like a high-level Skyrim character.

For all the flaws in Injustice's other costumes - this one works ok imho.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
That monster's teeth make no sense.

Kay says about the red dragon from the red dimension who is chatting to the teenager made of rocks.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Lurdiak posted:

He also turned them into dust one time.

That happened in the comics too? I remember that being the plot if the movie.

Did Bats get the dust mixed up in the comic too?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Yvonmukluk posted:

See, it's my understanding that Female Circumcision is actually a loving terrible thing that should be condemned. But isn't male circumcision much less traumatic? I mean, I'm no doctor & obviously there's questions of consent and stuff, but I don't think it's ever been scientifically confirmed to be traumatic-

Never mind, I guess the author blames his circumcision for being unable to get it up. Which I guess is supposed to justify making a vaguely anti-Semitic comic, somehow?

Also 'Intactivist'? That's the best they could come up with?

You loose a lot of sensitivity in the glans, sure but if it's done while you're a baby then you'll never know any different.

I guess it could seem more damaging if it's done when you're into adulthood. (Having it done while an adult also means about 3-6 months of going commando in the baggiest pants you can find, which I guess could also be traumatic)

Either way there's no comparison with FGM, and no connection with erectile dysfunction AFAIK.

Someone post the panel with the Evil Jew Knob-Chopper having his scissors knocked away with a 'Fapp'!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 30, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

You missed the Badass Panels Thread.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Selachian posted:

Incidentally, Elasticman was called Plastic Man in the issue before this one, but DC cleared their throat and reached for their lawyers.

And presumably they repeated the action after the publication of this one.

Relevant funny panels:

Injustice Year 3 #7 (I think)

VVV Either that or "Esaelp t'nod og lla Rotamina-er" VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 28, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

thespaceinvader posted:

E: also, I never really noticed balding J'onn J'onnz chef in the background. Goddamnit I love Kingdom Come.

There is not a single drat panel in that book that doesn't have something hidden in it. That dude in the sunglases on Martian Frycook's left is Mark Gruenwald for example.

There's links here for all four issues that go through the books, panel-by-panel highlighting the references in both the text and the art. It is amazing. Kingdom Come is amazing.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Rhyno posted:

Is that in the annotations somewhere? I never read that before.

I hadn't either to be fair, so I just did a bit of googling.

We may never have heard of it before because the Justice League TV series pilot was made and broadcast in 1997 while Kingdom Come was released in '96.

I suspect, therefore, that the fat, balding Jon J'onzz in Kingdom Come is a reference to a fat blading man dressing up as Martian Manhunter for a super-hero themed costume restaurant. Sorry, Random Stranger.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

IUG posted:

Okay, it's me. I'm the one who doesn't understand this pun. Grey jeans?

Now that I type it, I think I get it. Jean Grey, master of death and rebirth. Phoenix. Durhoy.

S'ok - I'm the nerd who gets cross whenever someone makes a joke about Jean Grey dying and resurrecting constantly.

She is the preferred host of an all-powerful entity called The Phoenix. It's not like you should be surprised she keeps coming back from the dead!

That said - much like Hank Pym beating on women - I suspect that Jean Grey's death/resurrection cycle is prolly no more impressive than most superheroes - it's just the one that gets highlighted the most.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Chimaerism is a :psyduck: and a half. Has that ever shown up in comics? I'm curious now.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Majuju posted:

SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD #1

goddammit secret wars is gonna freaking bankrupt me

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I can't make my mind up if that's funny or disturbing.

I think it's both. Funurbing.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

This single edited panel has done more to make me like Connor than nearly a decade of comics and a decent cartoon series has ever been able to.

(I hate when doggies get hurt and I never read crisis)

KayTee fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 2, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Which comic was it that caused a hoo-hah over Tea Party signs not too long back?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Say Nothing posted:

Are there any panels of evil Mary Marvel which aren't looking up her skirt?

Countdown #36

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

goatface posted:

He looks very 1960's cartoon Spider-man there.

There's a reason for that.

VV :) VV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 7, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

10 Beers posted:

What is ANAD? I've been trying to keep up with Secret Wars, but it's the busy season at work and I've not had much time for comic reading.

All new, all different.

It's the world created post secret - wars.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Gavok posted:

Plas left the team for a while and tried to live a normal life with his estranged son, but Batman brought him back because Martian Manhunter went rogue and was no longer weak to fire. Plas was Batman's ace in the hole on that because he can't be mind-controlled and his morphing powers are superior to J'onn's.
Forgive me for dragging the Plas is Awesome Derail a little further but I don't remember immunity to mind control being one of his powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

djw175 posted:

Wasn't he the pope at some point as a part of an incredibly contrived plot?

^:argh:

A bunch of evil dudes tried to get him elected as pope so they could turn off his image inducer while he was popeing and kick start the rapture or someshit.

It also involved exploding communion wafers.

VV There was another story where his whole priest training g and ordination was a hypnotic false memory.

He descovers it when he is sat at a table and just let's everyone know "Well, I've given up being a priest and renounced the whole thing." - Casual as poo poo - and everyone else is shocked that he was a priest in the first place.

I seem to recall that it was all written by the same idiot who did his "Draco" storyline that everyone hates and ignores.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2016