Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Grendels Dad posted:

The safest place in Marvel or DC might very well be Russia.
No way, man, you're guaranteed to wind up being used in experiments by some crazy remnant of the KGB.

quote:

I'd rather take my chances and live in Manhattan.

At least they're used to it there, and have the infrastructure and services in place to deal with stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

The man-hating elephant who happened to passing by is my favourite.

Dum te dum, bum a bum bum, I love being an elephant. Just out for a stroll. drat, what a beeeeeyoooootiful day. There's just one thing that would make this day better, and that would be a GODAMN HUMAN TO gently caress WITH. Woah. Calm, calm, remember your breathing techniques. Calm and enjoy the....
*crash*
Well HOT drat! Everything's coming up me today!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Android Blues posted:

In which Wolverine's hunger for a sandwich dooms the X-Men:

They're flying over the Savage Land, aren't they. I just know.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It would not surprise me to learn that those Girl Scouts are all secretly COBRA operatives.
And no, this isn't an edit or anything. One of the ongoing plot points is that Cobra basically takes over a small community, Broca Beach or Boca Beach or something, by slowly moving more and more of their own agents in, buying out local businesses, and what not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 3, 2017

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I seem to recall that Cobra had lawyers and diplomats waiting at various embassies to get diplomatic recognition and treaties in place to help prevent the US just steamrolling their new island. I think maybe they even joined the UN but it's been a while.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
On the contrary. Every Bison dollar will be worth five British pounds. That is the exchange rate that the bank of England will implement after I kidnap their queen.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I liked Circuitbreaker. I liked how Marvel wasn't afraid to explore different ideas in their comics.

Real talk: The 'Nam still holds up. The middle or so definitely becomes a bit less focused, but goddamn does that series still hold up. Hama strikes again.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Garfield Dies is the best Garfield strip series.

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/417/the-death-of-garfield

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

prefect posted:

I wish it were easier to find pages from The Pro. The GL character (the Lime) made these terrifically lovely constructs, like a green paper airplane that looked like it had been stepped on.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

Looks like Rage and Justice behind them. Almost all the New Warriors showed up and made Darkhawk sit by himself :(

I love Hercules just spreading out as far as possible :allears:

I'm currently in the part of the Thor run where Dr. Blake is working in the poorer part of New York and I'm loving the slang.

Also the Wrecking Crew broke out and they went after what every ex-con wants when they're first out.

MacDonald's.

I laughed at them having to make their food themselves because they didn't really think it through.

Reminds me of The 'Nam and how Stalker talked in early G.I. Joe. Makes sense, being the same company and all.

Also reminds me of watching old prime-time network TV like Quantum Leap or Tour of Duty, where they drop the n-word in historically appropriate ways.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Darthemed posted:

Jim Balent

YOUR VAGINA IS HAUNTED!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

prefect posted:

It's like "oval office", which is the second-worst word you can say in the US, but in the UK, they use it all the time. Two countries, separated by a common language.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was given that impression from an interview with Garth Ennis. When asked about the difference between writing for British and American comics, he talked about how editors paid more attention to different things, and specifically called out vocabulary; the quote was, if I'm remembering it correctly, "For example, there's the word 'oval office,' which in America is a word of great and terrible power, and in the UK is punctuation."

This was in the late 90s when Preacher was a thing, so take that for what it's worth.

Warren Ellis' Crecy.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 4, 2017

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I think it was Living Hell where the billionaire financier gets himself judged not guilty by reason of insanity, the judge is laughing his rear end off and sends him to Arkham as a “gently caress you, I lost my pension too thanks to you, rear end in a top hat.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

And then Joker locked him in a freezer, he got frostbite, his nose fell off and he filed down his teeth and started calling himself "the great white shark."

I believe it was also strongly suggested to him that he find a big bad, and come to an 'arrangement' for his own protection. So he winds up becoming Two-Face's 'Coin boy.'

Android Blues posted:

It's good stuff. I reread it recently and while it falls apart a little towards the end with the introduction of Etrigan and the literal demons from Hell, the first issue is an especially tight and compelling bit of horror writing in the universe.

I thought the story would have been way better if they'd kept it utterly mundane.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

but the panels posted are the finale of the 00s Mystique series
Which wasn't bad, all things considered, but I can't not remember that she a) is constantly telling people that she's utterly naked, because she never wears clothes, just shapeshifts herself into looking like she's wearing clothes, and b) goes ahead and disrobes out of her standard PVC pants and halter top for a shower scene anyway.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

prefect posted:

Do the pants and top turn back into her skin after she detaches them?

No.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Alhazred posted:

In Y: The Last Man some of the characters pointed out that it's hard to punch someone hard enough to beat them unconscious and that it's harmful.

It also points out that shooting somebody in the leg tends to lead to very rapid onset of death by massive blood loss.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

...where are those men keeping their genitalia? Have they sucked them up into their abdominal cavities like kangaroos?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Why is his pubic hair a seashell?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
But.. the chafing! And the sharp edges!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

At least when he's not the Hulk he's still loving jacked.

You'd make drat sure you were jacked too, if half of your life consisted of waking up nearly naked in dark alleys in the bad part of town. Especially after you try to take a shower at the local Y and get set upon by the local gay rape gangs.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Eh, that'd just make Hulk Angry, he'd be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Actually, no.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/jeangreyphoenixfans/bruce-banner-almost-raped-in-ymca-hulk-23-1980-t1464.html

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I like to think that BatMan is always portrayed as dying of old age as part of his tragedy. He clearly has a deathwish but nobody ever closes the deal for him.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It’s not as exciting, but I can say that growing up playing text parser games and Sierra adventures helped my typing.

Also, growing up watching old TV shows on the local oldies station let me answer all the age gate questions on Leisure Suit Larry 3 correctly.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The Punisher, the first unlimited series, issue 7, March 1998.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Batman's Shameful Secret › Post Funny Panels - Funny Comic Panels only! No edits

To the best of my knowledge, it's not an edit. :shrug:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

I like that her mugshot also has a beret and turtleneck. It's a thin cigarette and a baguette away from perfect.

It looks like it should be out of an Airplane! style film, where she's hanging from a rope and shooting, and a guy walks up, snaps a photo with an old-timey giant flashbulb camera, ducks down out of frame, stands back up with that wanted poster, pastes it on the wall, and walks away, all during the roaring gun battle.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Gotta kill faster!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
And Sonic learned that day that he can’t outrun his feelings. Or war PTSD.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Looking at that Ultimates sequence now, I'm just wondering where Pietro and the atomised mulch he took for a ride actually ended up when he stopped. Tierra del Feugo?

Between the replacement team and the grimdark, it really reminded me of The Authority.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Matt Lindland posted:

The thing is just a blue collar guy from the rough streets who lives in a magic skyscraper with infinite money. And hell,

I liked how in the Ultimate imprint, he was straight-up suicidal, but couldn’t find a way to actually do it. Which just made things worse for him. Poor guy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anyone ever done anything with the fact that, for all that he's not as smart as Reed, the Thing is still a former test pilot and astronaut who probably has multiple degrees in engineering?

Given that his origin story literally consists of him correctly pointing out that the mission should be scrubbed due to being dangerous, but Sue Storm mocking him for being a coward and letting the commies win the space race, until he gives in and goes anyway, I don't think Ben Grimm was ever depicted as being particularly 'smart.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ecavalli posted:

What the gently caress?!

I legit can’t tell if this is a joke or not.

100 percent true, and involves bright red lipstick and collagen injections.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Ultimate Marvel overall was good, then bad, then good, then ok. The early stuff was excellent, especially Spider-Man and Ultimates.

It went off the rails around Ultimates 3, as I recall, when Hawkeye got his death wish.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Hal is Chris Benoit because he killed his entire family.

:wow: :perfect:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

"Without warning it comes... crashing through the window of your study... and mine... I have seen it before... somewhere... it frightened me... as a boy... frightened me... Yes, father. I shall become THE MOON."
—Jake Lockley, probably

Jake Lockley sits in his car, musing about a mugging he just witnessed.
"I need a symbol. Something that will strike fear into the hearts of this cowardly and superstitious lot. But what....what could that symbol be....."
Suddenly, the car rocks on it's suspension as a drunken college student presses his naked rear end onto the driver side window.
"That's it!"
Title panel: MOON KNIGHT

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

What indeed IS Superman doing with a 'giant eating tool' on his way to visit a giant? I'm worried about the giant. Super man, super appetite.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

And everyone get a look at the shine on Silver Sable's rear end!

Yeah, I'm sorry, but if she farts in that thing, does a bubble of displaced 'fabric' slide up her body until it gets to her cleavage, then escapes? If so, what would you call that? A Cleef?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
How did I not hear about this already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx7zSgoVJZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

zoux posted:

(Also does Alfred have an intern now)