Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

They kept baby Magneto in a cell. It's a baby jail.

Then later on Magneto captures the x-men and locks them in baby chairs so they can suffer as he did:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

McCloud posted:

Certainly not a beast where it counts

You know what they say about dudes with giant didactyl feet

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rhyno posted:

There's definitely been at least one time where Batman has been able to fire those spikes off his arm. Maybe an Azrael thing but I know it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIX-jDq5aBY

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Slashrat posted:

The statistics are in his favor though. Lots of people have died due to smoking-induced illness. Zero people have died due to being Spider-man.

What if? shows that being spider-man has a mortality rate of roughly 99%.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh like Superman isn't shrinking down and beating her cancer cells into submission if it comes down to it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh look at Mr. But what about Mutie on Mutie crime. What's next, gonna quote us some Genosha stats?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They flipped them because they wanted to appeal a wider audience of mostly kids, and thought it'd limit them if they didn't. Considering people show up roughly monthly to throw a fit about reading manga in the panels threads still, seems pretty reasonable assumption at the time that mercifully has died out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Don't blame me, I voted for Skull Kill Krew.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Red posted:

Am I the only one who thought/thinks Maggott was awesome? No? Just me?

I'm just confused about who the 6th person at the table is and how that doesn't look anything like Sunfire.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wait, who's the evil duck robot? (I don't know who the evil clown robot is, either, but I also don't care.)

I believe they're just creations of a malfunctioning Danger Room, which also banana peeled the trapeze, which is actually depressing to realize, because that's absolutely something that would've happened to him a bunch of times in the Danger Room.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Not Brand Echh #3 (1967)

Oh dip, that's fantastic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lobok posted:

Was there more than one Damage Control series? I keep seeing the panels posted in here and I never recognize them. Way more cartoony than the series I read.

Yeah, I looked it up the first time it was posted here.

There's two in '89, one vaguely serious, one slapstick, and a '91 follow up, also slapstick, all 3 were 4 issues long.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Phy posted:

Wait, I know fuckall about Shatterstar, is that why he had that dorky tandem-bladed sword? To poke people in the eyes with it like he was Moe Stooge?

No it's because there were lots of sword guys in 90's comics already, and the only way to make a sword more extreme is more sword.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

I love this picture so much.

I still wonder what the gun to the right of the rocket launcher is attached to, because it's not held up by one of the straps he holds.

Connected to the back of his collar, it pops up over his head. The kickback would be a problem if he didn't have permanent constipated telekinesis face.

Man I think I still have all the pack in cards from those issues in a box somewhere.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You aren't allowed to draw a picture of Cable unless you watch the Commando gear up scene first. It's an editorial mandate from Marvel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUa7YK17QP0

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seems bad when mutant kind grows complacent and lazy by just using the unstoppable might of Worst X-man Ever's power to solve all their problems.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Begemot posted:

I can't believe Clark Kent is actually... wearing a bulletproof sweater vest!

Maybe he just keeps something very sacred to him close to his heart, like a hostess fruit pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxwvPHKpSUo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rhyno posted:

That is not Lex Luthor you Baldist.

That is Jeff Bezos celebrating figuring out how to make warehouse workers into independent contractors.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

conan likes murdering wizards. conan loves theft!

Has anyone pointed him at Dr. Strange for fun? It seems like something Logan would do.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Mr. Monster Attacks! #2 (1992)

That's totally the dude from Heavy Metal. Was that based on something outside the comics or is this an homage to that?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh i've got one of those saved.

From Avengers: The Initiative from the end(?) of the Dark Reign story arc.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

X-O posted:

Hawkeye doesn't just have beef with Ben, it's the whole family.

You know who else wears purple and would grow to be gigantic?

Hawkeye, when he was Goliath. Clint's trying to throw us off the scent here people.

sebmojo posted:

What the poo poo

X-factor had pretty fantatic art. Pretty sure at one point Strong Guy references that tons of weirdoes live in DC to explain it all away.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magneto once captured the x-men and put them in chairs that reduced them to the motor skills of infants and had a robot nanny care for them. There's no way he didn't buy that poo poo straight from MODOK.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm yes I don't truck with supervillains says the guy who SOMEWHERE picked up a helmet that blocks mind control rays. That was from either MODOK or Alex Jones Magneto, which was it?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Selachian posted:

Don't forget Captain America keeping his shield strapped to his back under his clothes.

GPTribefan posted:

Also him wearing the ginormous chest plate under his clothes and it not being noticeable. Even when he slimmed it down in the red and gold armor there was no way everyone he saw wouldn’t have noticed.

That and the Angel hiding HUGE wings under his shirt in the back are the biggest “it’s the silver age, I just have to suspend a certain level of disbelief” things.

These all have the same answer. Starktech developed the image inducer (what Nightcrawler used during Claremont's run to look normal). Obviously, he was handing them out like candy to those who could afford to pay for them (sorry Morlocks).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zaodai posted:

He doesn't need to copy a player that can hit a shot 100% of the time, he just needs to copy a shot that goes in. His advantage is mechanical perfection. So as long as he could find one instance anywhere of a player hitting a given shot, he can nail that shot every time, because he could recreate the motions identically each time.

As far as playing like LeBron, that's why I said you just make him a perimeter shooter. The value of a (basically) 100% shot efficiency outweighs a ton of sins. You could even have him not play defense at all and statistically come out ahead because an open player is still going to miss more shots (due to being a regular human) than Taskmaster would.

He needs to copy a shot then use it from where and the height the player shot at though.

Same deal with Golf. He can copy the perfect form... but will not know how much power to use to compensate for the course or wind. He'd be a hell of a pitcher though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Starting to think we'll never get that game of the generation stream now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He even gets to molt once a year.

It'd be pretty great if it happened all at once and he spent a week looking like Concrete until it got all dried out and craggy again.

Give us the smooth Ben.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Impulse #81 (2002)

I love the idea of parents leaving their young child at home to go have a day out at the circus.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alacron posted:

So what's the deal with Cerebus? I only ever see it brought up in passing.

Basically it starts as a Conan pastiche for like 20 issues, then delves into this incredibly long, winding epic of a story which Sims said would go for 300 issues. It has some issues, but a lot of fairly interesting thoughts, and then he gets divorced and suddenly an entire issue is just this longform story about how men are the light and women are the void and it just turns into this remarkably bleak story of what if a violent, hedonistic rapist got extremely divorced. All in all, I would recommend, if at all, reading High Society and Church & State and Jaka's Story, then pretending he never got even close to his goal of 300 issues.

Short version of the story is after the single issue stuff, Cerberus is invited to a city, manipulated by High Society factions and ends up as prime minister. Fucks around through situations, ends up as Pope, ascends to the Moon, has a 4th wall breaking conversation with a being who tells him, among other things, that he'll die alone, unmourned and unloved. At which point, the country is conquered by a matriarchal society starting the Mothers and Daughters Arc. Cerberus takes a back seat for awhile, as Oscar Wilde shows up to narrate the story of Jaka, which is about a dancer in a tavern, and explores gender roles and suppression of art, and involves an abortion and Rick, the most divorced man of all time. <This is probably where you want to stop>
After 2-3 volumes, including the infamous women are voids story, Cerberus comes back, slaughters a bunch of matriarchal soldiers, culminating in a meeting of the minds of all the principal characters and then Cerberus talks directly to Dave Sim, who shows that due to his nature, Cerberus will never be happily married, and is sent to a prison-like bar where he hangs with other bros including Rick. You get two volumes of that and Rick's man-centric version of Christianity, then two volumes of Jaka and Cerberus together again on a journey to prove Dave wrong, and completely loving failing, then two final volumes I didn't read.

Here's why I didn't bother finishing (plot synopsis of the last volume).

The second and concluding part of "Latter Days", and the conclusion of the series as a whole. In the first 40 pages Cerebus has a dream or vision in which cosmology is seen as a reflection of theology, complete with explanatory footnotes by Sim. Upon waking Cerebus—now incredibly aged, decrepit, pain-wracked, and mildly senile—makes the laborious trek to his writing desk to write down his new revelation. He then hides the manuscript, and it is implied that nobody will find it for two thousand years.

Cerebus spends most of the rest of the book trying to persuade his chief of security to admit his son, Shep-Shep, with whom he remembers sharing an idyllic father–son relationship. However, the Sanctuary is under lockdown due to opposition from a new and even more rabidly "feminist-homosexualist" group led by Shep-Shep's mother, whom Cerebus refers to as "New Joanne", which favors such "rights" as pedophilia, zoophilia, juvenile recreational drug use and lesbian motherhood. As a result, social values have undergone a complete breakdown.

Cerebus finally goes to bed despairing of seeing his son again, but Shep-Shep manages to sneak into Cerebus's room late that night. Their subsequent conversation shatters Cerebus's last illusions about his son. Shep-Shep has aligned himself with his mother, who has been conducting genetic engineering experiments, partly with knowledge gained from Cirin's earlier experimentation. Cerebus is disgusted and horrified when Shep-Shep shows him the results of one of the experiments, a lion cub with a human baby's head, and explains his mother's plans.

As Shep-Shep leaves, Cerebus grabs a knife, intending to kill him, but falls out of bed and breaks his neck, alone, unmourned, and unloved, just as the Judge had predicted. His life flashes before his eyes in a series of flashback panels and his ghost sees many of his old friends and enemies waiting for him in "the Light." Jaka, Bear, and Ham beckon to him, and he eagerly rushes to join them, thinking they are in Heaven, but then he notices the absence of Rick and realizes that the Light may in fact be Hell. He calls out to God for help, but is dragged into the Light nonetheless.

But hey, at least early on you get a lot of Groucho as-leader of a nation, which is fun.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 5, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's because Dune Buggy's are fun as hell.

It's how they got P. Stew back for Star Trek Nemesis, they let him tool around in a dune buggy with his bros.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

I forget if Flex was in Milk Wars. That's about as close as Superman has gotten to a Doom Patrol story in a long time as far as I know.

Haven't read that much Doom Patrol but I know Superman and the league shows up at the end of the Painting that Ate Paris / Brotherhood of Dada storyline.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It's Doom's kid, I imagine he was a quick release on the mask.

I mean he has magic right? just portal that to a foot above Reed Richard's head, who then science portals it to Hank Pym's toilet, who has spent $40k on plumbers trying to figure out where the sewage is coming from.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

site posted:

Do you wanna be the guy that tells the hulk he owes taxes

Darkly musing that this results in a world where the Hulk becomes the symbol for Sovereign citizen types raging against paying taxes like the Punisher logo is for cop culture.

Hulk's screaming visage letting everyone know that the person flying it will never ever make their child support payments.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you try and make the Hulk pay taxes he'll just jump off the planet

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it also goes in some weird directions at times

Jimmy Olsen #67.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nipponophile posted:

I haven't read this story, but I already know that it turns out everyone figures out it's Jimmy immediately and they don't say anything just to jerk him around.

100% (at least the first time, in googling it I found they did this bit at least 3 times).

Jimmy wants a higher paying job, so goes to job interviews at other newspapers, but all the positions get filled by women. So he dresses as a woman, gets a job at the Daily Planet, tries to gently caress everything up to prove Jimmy's better then any woman, but Superman fixes everything, then everyone reveals they knew it was Jimmy the whole time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

palamedes posted:

New headcanon, Luthor's beef with Superman is definitely because they hosed one time.

Everyone in Luthor's family also have L L names. His sister, both parents, Jr, probably some cousins...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Ah well that makes more sense then. I was waiting for the follow up panel where Cannonball and Rogue show up to beat the poo poo of him.

Next pages are a sight gag then a Morph Gone Wild commercial, because early 2000's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know Alex Jones has taken over the world at least once until he was defeated by Frogboy and the Lone Star Avengers