Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

GorfZaplen posted:

His father may not yell at him, but The Spectre will make sure he faces retribution for his terrible grades.

Maybe his dad will murder him for his family-shaming failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Tiggum posted:

Jughead doesn't have a crown, it's a whoopee cap.

Quite seriously, thank you for posting this. I learned something today!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Saoshyant posted:

Journey Into Mystery #651

Outside the comedy, there's also some rather good writing for that run's main character, Sif. Worth a read.

drat it, writers really need to learn how to use thine/mine/etc. correctly. You only use those preceding a vowel sound.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yet still not as bad as Ultimatum though. *shudder*

Ultimatum was, I think, the worst of Loeb's three "efforts" in the Ultimate universe. It seemed like he was just phoning it in and giving it minimal thought if that. At least New Ultimates had some sort of plot-ish thing beyond "Grr, let's go get Stryfe Magneto!" Ultimatum, though, seemed like it was just a spectacle for a spectacle's sake, like lighting someone's house on fire and saying, "Yeah, but doesn't it LOOK awesome?!?"

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Uthor posted:

I never read Ultimatum. I did, however, read the Ultimatum Edit.
http://4thletter.net/category/features/ultimate-edit-week/

That really was fun. I can't believe people who did read both the "real" and our versions said that what Gavok and I did made more sense than the actual comics when we had Hawkeye chase Spider-Man down for Twinkies and Thor was Asgardian Santa.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've said before how much I love John Ostrander, particularly The Spectre and Suicide Squad. Here's the latter, with Captain Boomerang going off the rails a bit while the Squad is on a mission in Iran.

Suicide Squad v1 #32

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

TwoPair posted:

Here's a riddle: Why did people ever think a mullet was a good look?

As someone formerly guilty of acts of mulletry back then, I can tell you that culturally-speaking, many of us didn't know any better. Slater? Captain Planet? Angus freakin' MacGyver? They all had mullets. Society eventually wised up.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Choco1980 posted:

Kirby seems like the kinda fatherly figure where disappointing him feels even worse than getting a beating.

Yeah, I think he'd have a sort of "*sigh* No, no, kid. Listen. Seriously, listen." talk with Rob about having talent but refusing to develop skill. It would be like your avuncular next-door neighbor telling you that, yes, you can get a girl pregnant if you do it while standing up and for God's sake, kid, what's wrong with you, anyway?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

IUG posted:

Opinions aren't funny or something cares about, shut the gently caress up.

Here's the cover, they're up by Doom's left elbow.

Holy poo poo! Midnight Sons-era Strange!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Majuju posted:

Can we get some trading cards in here and settle this empirically PLEASE

Trading cards? Please. I can at least provide data on Namor, who really hasn't changed much if at all in these terms.

I've got Drax too, but I don't know how his strength level has changed. Big, dumb Drax topped out at 40 tons, so it looks like as long as Namor's relatively wet he can still take Drax fairly easily, especially because Drax doesn't (as far as I know) fly anymore.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

"Of course you have a bathhouse. Look at your mustache."

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Edit: drat database problem.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 5, 2015

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I don't remember my very first comic of my own, but one of the first was the OHOTMU Book of the Dead. That explains a lot. However, I also got Groo. One issue from well after I started reading comics (vol. 2 #57, November 1989) opens with him and Rufferto on a raft in the ocean, their previous ship having sunk because— Groo being a massive jinx— every ship Groo sets foot on sinks sooner or later. They drift within sight of a ship so massive that they can't tell if it's a ship or an island. It comes that they need to build on deck, so Groo goes to get some wood.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Squizzle posted:

Not to sound like a Hatcher, but how is he a natural-born citizen when he's from another reality?

I suppose nothing in the Constitution says you have to be a natural-born citizen of the United States in this reality.

E:F,B

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Vincent posted:

Being that 'tis the season again (and that we don't have a photoshop thread now) here you guys go.

Vincent, you magnificent Latin bastard. :bravo:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

You know, this makes me realize I could seriously see Tom Arnold voicing Deadpool credibly.

Skwirl posted:

God dammit, now I'm going to have to start reading Ant Man. However, living in the shadow of the guy who's most famous punch was Hitler is a completely different thing than living in the shadow of a guy whose most famous punch was his wife.

I can only respond to this with two smilies: :drat::perfect:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Evil Mastermind posted:

The fact that we never got a Ghost Rider anthology featuring "Vengeance Spirits Through The Ages/Genres" is a goddamn crime.

…yet. With Knuckles O'Shaughnessy showing up in Ghost Racers something tells me we just might see some of those flaming knuckleheads turn up again.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Squizzle posted:

what if a child, a miniature youth person, like for instance KittyEmpress or WickedHate, reads this and decides it's good to trap a clown in a space box with their mind because the clown said things to a rock man, in French

AHEM. That is a mime. There is a difference.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

"C.P.T."?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The proper takeaway here is that, in spite of She-Hulk calling him a "great lawyer," Pug is in fact a lovely lawyer.

That's right, and I'd say he's guilty of serious malpractice— and possibly a breach of professional ethics depending on New York's rules— by naming a defendant that the client doesn't want to sue.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

That's it, I've got to start reading Spider-Man/Deadpool. When Spidey's the straight man, holy drat will comedy ensue.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Skwirl posted:

That's a loving deep cut. I just checked Marvel Unlimited and he's not even listed in their "Search By Character" list. He was fascinating as hell to twelve year old me.

I remember buying Sleepwalker #1 because of that oil slick-looking foil cover it had (yay, '90s!). I really should look into whatever became of Rick and Sleepwalker.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

"Kid, do you even have a neck? Yeah, that's what I thought!"

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Adnor posted:

I recognize Captain Albion and Gatecrasher, but don't know about the rest.

Between the gorilla and Doop is Dirk Anger from Nextwave. Did Watcher get un-killed?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

PFlats posted:

My buddy and I got a copy too, but we never read it. Opening it would ruin the value!

Well, you could have gotten three or four of the couple dozen copies the store had, read one, and kept the rest for their collector's value. DUH!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You're right. He'll try to cast a spell first. And when that doesn't work, then the axe.

His spell will be to enchant the axe.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've just learned that apparently DC put out a KFC-sponsored publication called KFC: The Colonel Of Two Worlds a while back. I learned this because they've also put out KFC: Colonel Corps (free on ComiXology). This is just a gigantic heap of artery-clogging propaganda featuring something that is genuinely amusing, spoilered in case anyone cares:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Uthor posted:

Is the first one still on comiXology? I have it in my library, but it doesn't come up in the store.

I didn't find it, but dear Shaft, if it's still there I'd love the link.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Is Harley no longer Jewish? :smith:

I wasn't aware Harley was Jewish. When did they reveal that?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

zoux posted:

I dunno how you'd do Taskmaster on the screen without him looking terrible.

You'd have to give him the UDON costume. There's no way a super-merc would spend 4+ hours prior to a simple meeting just so he could have a scary-rear end face that does everything a natural face does.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's not a recent comic so normally you'd just assume that it happened during one of the many periods where xavier could walk

I'm just about to the point of assuming that about any period even if I see him in a wheelchair.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Wait, Millville? That's Aldi's house brand of cereal! So… if I shop at Aldi… I'm supporting Cobra! :vince:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Lurdiak posted:

Back off if you don't wanna get cut

Holy poo poo, it seems that was an actual knife— not a toy, but a real, working knife decorated with Pikachu. My daughter would demand that we get her a Pikachu knife if she knew about that. She doesn't even do anything in the kitchen (yet, but she's in Home Ec). She'd just be happy knowing it was there and that my wife and I would use it once in a while.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

That… comic? Sure, let's go with that. That comic does make me wonder something. What does Rob Liefeld even do for a living these days? I mean, does he still get work doing art? Did he make good investments during Image's heyday? The guy's got to have an income source.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But he's Venom, with his colors reversed! What else could we possibly call him :arghfist::saddowns:

Nega-Venom? Reverse-Venom? Monev?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Am I the only one who thinks Diana's last speech bubble in the second-to-last panel sounds rather Jewish Yiddish (thank you, Retro-Futurist)? Maybe the whole panel?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 18, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Cassa posted:

Hopefully they mean in a seinfeldian stereotypical new yorker way.

Pretty much that, yeah.

Edit: To elaborate, I meant specifically a Jackie Mason sort of vibe. That's pretty much the image a lot of us out here have of Jews, as nobody ever accused South Dakota of being diverse.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 18, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Retro Futurist posted:

The word you wanted here was Yiddish

Ah, yes. Thank you. [tugs collar]

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Duke Igthorn posted:

I would read the ongoing adventures of "Damian Bloodfeast: Hell's Librarian."

That is definitely a character I need to throw into METAL WORLD.

:devil: "Right, so the Tortures of the Damned you're looking for— is that the fiction or the nonfiction?[/i]
:cenobite: "Nonfiction."
:devil: "O.K., and then is that the one by Williams or the one by Steinberg?"
:cenobite: "Oh, I only knew about the one by Williams. Which would you recommend?"
:devil: "Definitely that one. Steinberg's on the right track with his magma crucifixions, but some of his methodology is highly flawed in other areas. He does have an excellent, easy-to-absorb writing style, though."
[PEOPLE TALK TOO LOUDLY]
:devil: "I'm sorry, one moment." [LIFTS COVER, PUSHES BUTTON— FLAMES SHOOT FROM FLOOR] "And they'll be quiet in just a… oh, there we are. They turned to ash rather quickly. Must've had poor diets!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Synthbuttrange posted:

Today's newspaper spider-man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1viagZK2-Q