Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wade Wilson posted:

Why does Luke care, anyway?

She's his wife. (Were they married at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

goldenoreos posted:

Funniest panel for me this week comes from Spider-Man & The X-Men #2

First good thing Sauron's ever done or said.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Personally, I'm not entirely sure what good Sue thinks turning invisible faster is going to do when the monster's already caught her.

If she had been able to turn invisible before the creature grabbed her, she probably could have avoided it.

Maybe it took her several minutes to turn invisible back then.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DarkCrawler posted:

All the most iconic covers are full of weird unexplained poo poo. Who's the terrified guy Spider-Man is carrying? Why is Superman destroying a car and terrifying everyone? If laser beams and rocket launcher haven't done the trick why does Iceman think that snowballs will - and where the hell is Beast swinging from?

They should include introductory material so you get the backstory behind the cover. :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The MSJ posted:

Please post panels from the comic where they meet the scared guy in the foreground of that Action Comics cover.

I googled "comic book cover backstory", and didn't get anything useful except for this picture:

From Batman: The Dark Knight #17, it says.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He's definitely got the power of Thorr, but I don't know if he's taken that as his name now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
People have said that Nick Fury whispered something in Thor's ear that made him unworthy. Is that true? Because it's not up to Thor; it's up to Mjolnir.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wiegieman posted:

I do love how most of the impetus of this storyline will be "Odin is such a huge jerk."

This is a core element of Thor stories.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, but HE couldn't lift it. Clearly it's the children who are wrong!

Odin couldn't lift Mjolnir? Now that's total bullshit. Beta Ray Bill threw it at him once -- Odin just stuck out his hand, and the hammer flew right to him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Speaking of which, have a z-list Spider-Man foe!

Marvel Team-Up #120

Seanbaby did an article on Turner D. Century back in ye olde internette days: http://www.seanbaby.com/stupcom/tdc.htm

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cangelosi posted:

Gotta respect the Spatula Avengers.

They must have taken the picture before Cap got thawed out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Ah, but Conan worked that out before they even officially met, and convinced the dog to be on his side.
Like in that one story with the witch. Or the one with the pirate ship. Or the one with the aliens and the grey goo egg.

(Conan does this a lot.)

I don't think Conan even knows the word "mendicant". Or "mulch".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Deadpool posted:

After meeting the new Inhumans and finding out their names and powers Spider-Man has a bit of friendly new superhero advice for them before heading into battle.

The Amazing Spider-Man Special #1

I think he's still mad at DD for this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Section Z posted:

God, why do I think Darkhawk was so cool? Most of his actual comics run was getting his rear end kicked, the very first comic of his I read was the one where Venom played dead because he felt SORRY for Darkhawk (who was dying at the time, because loving TOMBSTONE yanked out his plot crystal) :allears: Dramatic battles included Darkhawk taking off his helmet to gross people out with how hideous his off panel bioandroid head was, and also failing when another Darkhawk body guy did the same to him :downs:

But damnit, I still like him. Even though I think he's dead because of Battle Royal ripoff or whatever I didn't really keep track of his appearances after his old series ended with him getting his life back together and not being ALL ANGRY ALL THE TIME.

Hmm, maybe him and Raiden should compare notes.

Wasn't there a Darkhawk mini somewhere in the vicinity of the Abnett-Lanning cosmic stuff? I remember liking it quite a bit. He's not a terrible character.

Then again, my favorite character is Dr. Strange, so what do I know? :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Speaking of doctors, I think it was in the last thread and don't remember seeing it here- Who was that one Dr. McNinja lookin' dude who got a sentient psychic starfish glued to his head and started yelling at Cyclops while it was whispering what he was thinking to anyone in earshot?

Doctor Nemesis, and it was from an X-Club mini.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

willus posted:

there's a lot of angry posting so here is a (probably reposted) page of rockslide talking to a giant monster that protects the gem that gives the juggernaut his power (I think)

from Amazing Xmen 16

To reiterate what someone pointed out the last time this was posted, it's even more awesome that in the last panel, the Cyttorak monster is smiling along with Rockslide. :3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Even Moore regrets that part and criticized DC for not "reining him in". And I think The Killing Joke was supposed to not be canonical, and in fact ends with Batman killing Joker.

It also ended with Batman laughing like crazy, didn't it? That's probably non-canonical.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Source: the D&D pictures thread.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

The mythbusters made a functioning, lifting lead balloon in real life. Tony could have done better using comic book "science". In a cave. With a box of scraps.

And a Vietnamese scientist! :science:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Binary Badger posted:

Chinese. He was in Vietnam along with Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man when they formed the Titanic Three.

I apologize for any racism contained in my post, and assure you it was the product of ignorance and not malice. :blush:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was great because it prompted the writer who'd spent the past five years building up the Mandalorians as badass mercenary space marines cum gentleman farmers throw a fit and quit writing Star Wars books.

Is there a good place to read about this drama? It sounds like it would be entertaining.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

He probably has clear eyelids like alligators or something. Where can I pick up my no prize?

Here you go.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Anora posted:

Does she actually do something in issue 4, issue 2 and 3 were basically just faffing about while the writer tried to tell internet memes at the bottom of the page.

I haven't read them, but I'm perfectly okay with "faffing about" if it's fun to read. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I ran across this in the D&D editorial cartoons thread:

It was included with a bunch of Vietnam posters. I'm hoping it's not an edit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

So does Superman age or not? I've seen future Superman without gray hair I'm pretty sure.

The Superman that got killed by Superboy-Prime had some grey hair. And the Superman in One Million seemed to be made entirely out of gold. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I'll never understand why Americans are so adamant about how to eat steaks. Do you guys also think there's a right and a wrong way to prepare toast?

The bread industry is not as powerful as the beef lobby.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Anecdotally there's an inverse relationship between how big my tip is and how long a customer wants their beef cooked. Also, if you think that'sthat's bad, get 3 different people from 3 different states in the same room and ask them the proper way to make chili.

It's simple; chili is made with beans, and anybody who says otherwise is a filthy communist traitor.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Doesn't the Hulkbuster armor have a long history of being one of the only non-gamma things to be able to beat Hulk?

I don't think it's got more than a 50% success rate, at best.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

Nobody who's ever written a comic knows enough about genetics to actually depict chimerism in any way.

If you're going to restrict comic book writers to writing about things they understand, the whole business would immediately vanish.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Cliff Notes:

That's capital "D" Death, the personification or embodiment of death in the Marvel universe - who just happens to be an attractive woman when not doing the Skeletor look

She and Deadpool met up a little while ago and something about him set her all a flutter

However, her previous suitor is Thanos. You know, the guy who tried to kill everybody to impress her, just so she'd pay attention to him. And it didn't work, she still gave 0 fucks.

Now along comes Deadpool, and suddenly Death is finally interested in someone. And it aint Thanos.

So, through some means or another, (probably an infinity gem) Thanos manages to make it so Deadpool will never die, and thus he will be out of Death's reach forever

Actually, Thanos only killed half of everybody to impress her. :spergin:

(At least, the time I'm thinking of, that's how it went down.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Right, I thought he was trying for everyone but got stopped half way, but that's not right.

God, he's supposed to be this ultimate killer bad rear end, but he's just the weird, loner with low self esteem, who can't talk to women.

Oh man, she's so cute. I've got to go talk to her. Aw, but I'm an idiot, and she's the personification of death. I can do this. I can do this. Deep breath. Go Time.
"Hey Death, what's up?"
"..."
Oh God. Oh God. She's not saying anything. Oh, and of course Starfox is here. He just saw the whole thing. He never has any trouble with women. I'm so embarrassed. I wish I was dead. No, no, can't think like that... I wish everyone else was dead....Hey, wait a second...

EDIT: Fixed some punctuation and spelling

When he was rejected by Death in Infinity Gauntlet, it was almost a little sad. He really is terribly "goony".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

David D. Davidson posted:

I wonder how he keeps all the Creeds form killing each other. I mean the Logans easy, just toss in some cigars and beer every one and then and they are happy but Creed is a completely different story.

How many Creeds do you see in that picture? :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Blockhouse posted:

You are in an extreme minority when it comes to liking Immonen

Well, I think she's awesome. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm somewhat surprised that Fandral didn't get punched in the mouth.

Also, disappointed that Hogun didn't wake up sooner -- he's the badass of the Warriors Three, so he should be up before they get into the room. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

StashAugustine posted:

Got Thor in one of those facebook chain things, anyone got a good image for him

What's a facebook chain thing?

Here's a picture of Thor.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

Or, you know, just get out of the armor.

Edit: Thor should totally keep on being a dick to Tony though. Feels like he let him off too easy for the whole cloning thing.

Thor just made an angry speech and hit him with lightning once, right? He should have been much harder on him. I blame Hollywood.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

darthbob88 posted:

A blonde giant named Sigurd Jarlson, yep, that's gotta be Spider-man's alias. Now dammit where's the panel of the foreman jumping to that conclusion? The best I've found is "Sigurd" demonstrating how infallible his disguise is. (Pic rehosted from here, unsure of source beyond Simonson's run on Thor.)

This is the only panel I've been able to find, from Thor #344.

I think your pic is from Thor #341, when the Sigurd Jarlson identity was first used.

Side note: Is it the artist or the letterer that does sound effects? Because Walt Simonson always seems to have the best ones.

Aha!

prefect fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 16, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

True - they did the covers first then wrote the stories to fit them in the Silver Age, didn't they? Sure, the entire reason the multiverse exists is supposed to be because Infantino drew a cover with both Barry Allen and Jay Garrick and said, "Ha! Write your way out of that one, Gardner!" (He probably did not say this, but he should have.)

It sounds like an improv exercise, and it would probably be a fun idea to do once in a while. Force the normal writers to deal with something they weren't expecting; you might get something brilliant.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Aw, you think he was drug-tested when he was wrestling. That's adorable.

Maybe they tested him to make sure he was on drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Get out of my Sanctum Solarium! :doom: