Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

SHOCKS AND SURPRISES like Hulk straight-up murdering some folks for rollerskating to disco music:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Avengers #54 Radioactive Man tells the New Masters of Evil how he was last defeated by those accursed Avengers:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

prefect posted:

Second edit: Jim Shooter says the Oxfam America people were idiots.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/09/heroes-for-hope-and-why-i-dont-like.html/

Am I crazy or does the book he's selling on there look like it was written by Chuck Tingle?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

As a Canadian, I have never seen a black squirrel, and was entirely unaware of their status as "a Canadian thing." They must not like the prairies.

From what I can tell online they don't really live west of Ontario. In Toronto at least, black squirrels are by far the largest segment of the squirrel population

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 20, 2016

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Super Powers (2016) #1

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

About the skin colour stuff - there's some pretty interesting material around history of the colour palette available to artists in pre-digital eras

I can't find the historical account that I'm thinking of, but this blog post shows some of the different colour palettes that were possible: http://www.co2comics.com/blog/2010/09/28/the-comic-companytrue-colors-part-3/

From what I remember, Marvel and DC further chose house subsets of those colours as a cost-saving measure.. if anyone has a more detailed history I'd love to read it

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

holy poo poo, Dana Snyder as Plastic Man is an excellent idea

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-4hzuYulW0

e: Man I spent so much money on this game.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Somehow I'd never seen the cover of FF #212 before:

:corsair: :corsair: :corsair:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

a kitten posted:

Alright, what in the gently caress.

I mean.. I guess I can buy the idea of Richie Rich hiring Vincent Price to make him a bunch of scissor-handed people??

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Sheesh, last time I saw Kubik was an older Avengers issue with Buscema / Palmer art, he looked like a metal version of Marvin the Martian.

It was a pretty weird issue with Steve Rogers as The Captain (the black suit/motorcycle phase) being called to help Dr. Druid's Avengers who were all beaten by the Super Adaptoid, who lured Kubik to Earth so he could copy his reality-altering powers.

Steve literally beats the most powerful being on Earth (at that time) using nothing but logic and exploiting Super-Adaptoid's stupid artificial ego.

It's also revealed that the Super-Adaptoid's powers were literally drawn from a sliver of the original Cosmic Cube, which Kubik removes and replaces back within himself after the fighting's over.

That figure looks... somewhat familiar

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I know this is stupid but it kills me having to pretend that Miles actually has 1. a pocket 2. that would fit a hamburger. Somehow that is less realistic than spider powers and molecule men. I mean hey, he wears backpacks! Just have him pull a hamburger out of a backpack!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

My new favourite thing, from Marvel Super Hero Adventures #1 (2018)

Works in every version of JJJ's voice!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Why do Superman’s parents look younger than Superman

A reality TV producer from another planet thought that they looked too old, and it was arranged to put youth serum in their water well!

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 10, 2018

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Gavok posted:

Then we get to the Cates run. Cates' whole deal appears to be, "I've read every Venom story and I don't think we've scratched the surface on the symbiote concept. In order to tell this story, I'm going to have to stack retcon onto retcon onto retcon." He's handwaved away things like Eddie's cancer and the idea that Eddie had a sister. He also introduced Knull, God of the Symbiotes and makes it apparent that the symbiotes are absolutely bad news. All that poo poo from Guardians of the Galaxy was an illusion and the team was unknowingly inside a giant, nightmarish planet-sized symbiote ball. The only real hope for a symbiote to not be a vicious hellbeast is to be away from Knull's mental grasp for long enough.

Oof.. I just wish we could get to a symbiote origin/explanation that's good enough to actually stick. Also "klyntar" is even worse than the word "moist"

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Vincent posted:

Who was also named after Doom's mom.

Close! Cynthia was Doom's mom. Valeria was his high school girlfriend who he later murdered so that he could wear her skin as a suit of armour. :barf:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

What If? the Fantastic Four were the Marvel Bullpen. That’s Flo Steinberg. Kirby is the Thing, Lee is Mr Fantastic, and I can’t remember who was Human Torch.

Sol Brodsky https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/What_If%3F_Vol_1_11

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I think at some point too the Guardians of the Universe (green lantern bosses) did something to make sure folks didn't leave Krypton because they did know about the superpowers thing

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Things I learned today: Calendars match up every 28 years:

Also the Marvel Age comics had a calendar on the last page in '92 and January was just everyone happy Rick Jones was dead:

I.. I just really like Sandman being the number twelve there. Good on ya, Marko!

(Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Sand Trap!)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2020

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Pluto is great, I wish there was a way to read it on the Kindle. :(

The Astro Boy story that inspired it is a fun read, too.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

He also misused his Captain Universe powers in a What If

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Ygolonac posted:

Looks like new avatar time.

Tried a few versions if you want it

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Toshimo posted:

This is your annual reminder that Miles Morales canonically saved the multiverse by hiding a cheeseburger in his spider-pants for a week.

that still makes me so angry - at least draw a backpack instead of pretending a burger is going to fit anywhere inside a spandex suit

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Why is Hulk wearing Strange's cloak? I mean, levitating Hulk, sure, but still.

I'm more concerned by no one challenging Dr. Strange on "the easily-recognized Defenders"

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Hulk and Namor at least gotta be pretty recognizable. Also he's not in those panels but Silver Surfer is usually in The Defenders if those three are at the moment.

If I saw the Hulk and Namor, I would be like "oh my god! it's the Hulk and Namor!"

What I wouldn't say is "there goes two members of the easily-recognized super team, The Defenders!" :D

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that Urasawa's stuff isn't available digitally. There are still some weird gaps, like the Akira manga also is only available physically.

Same, I would drop $$$ on all of Urasawa's stuff right now if I could get it legal digital copies

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Keromaru5 posted:

Reminded me of this strip about shopping in Japan from Mary Cagle's "Let's Speak English" (linking because I don't know this thread's policy on posting webcomics).

It's a cute strip but my broken brain apparently tries to read any black and white comics right-to-left now :v:

From Superman #238 (1971), what might be the stupidest possible origin for the planet Krypton.. and possibly still canon if no one bothered to retcon it?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

I really don't get that last image. Are... are his pants some kind of tights that he pulls up? Is the belly portion of the armor separate than the chest and cod pieces? :psyduck:

It's one of those things that was shown in the comics a bunch early on, like even the whole armour would sometimes be depicted as flexible and stuffed into his attache case.

Personally I think it eventually stopped being depicted or mentioned because no one is satisifed with how it looks, and then other, later armours are either more explicitly hunks of metal or made of nanites or whatever..

Tony Stark: He loves wearing metal diapers, and also "clenching his fists in a prearranged manner"

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2020

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

God Stan Lee fuckin loved transistors. And I always loved when there was a scene where Iron Man had to recharge so he would just straight up plug his armor into a wall socket.

TONY. NO.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man Team-Up #5 (1996)

Whoa, shades of Newspaper Spider-Man

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Every time some background gag like that or the Batman-themed restaurant from Tom King's Batman run pops up it makes me wonder about how and what kinds of superhero entertainment would exist in-universe. Like I could definitely see a show like TTG that lampoons superheroes existing (clearly some gags like the time travel murder would have to change) while stuff like BTAS that features Batman's secret identity couldn't. There could be plenty of merch since most heroes are secret and can't trademark their symbols/logos.

That always gets me about modern adaptations of Sherlock Holmes.. Everyone in that world had no Sherlock Holmes stories up to that point and therefore some elements of their culture and idioms should be kind of alien

(maybe everyone gets big into pirates instead a la Watchmen)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't there a whole "too many avengers" thing when all the heroes came back after Onslaught when Avengers relaunched. I remember reading something where they keep bumping into each other trying to stop a bank robbery.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #116 (1964)

I had to look this one up, and wtf

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Superboy_Vol_1_116 says

quote:

Synopsis for "Superboy, King of the Wolf-Pack!"

When executioners from the warlike world of Subaat come looking for refugees under Superboy's protection, he transforms his charges into wolves, pretends to have become a "wolf-lad" due to Indian magic, and keeps up the masquerade until the executioners have left.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

https://youtu.be/Twyrmr4sMow

Though I do vaguely remember a Filmation Aquaman singing too

Are you maybe thinking of Aquaman Dance Party?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

site posted:

Bucky's a liar (aka bendis doesn't care about continuity part 100), Jim roasted his rear end

I think if I ever start a band, it'll have to be called Flameproof Button

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Superman: From Krypton to Metropolis (1982)

I couldn't stop thinking about this! It made me think of that one page from Miracleman #1 (1985) so I adapted it:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Have a look at her hand

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Honestly, I'd say the Punisher is the most fitting superhero to have a legacy where when the current Punisher falls, somebody else picks up the mantle.

I don't think you're wrong, but also I don't a Doctor Who-style the Punisher: An Adventure in Disgrace and Crime to exist :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Dr. Fate #15 (1990)

Lobok posted:

These facial expressions remind me of Perry Bible Fellowship.