Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Back to Back to the Future #4 - The reference is funnier out of context; Bob Gale and Melora Hardin time travel back to the past to prevent Eric Stoltz from being recast in BTTF. I thought the concept was funny but the comic ended up being 75% BTTF quotes and 90% the BTTF2 plot so I can't honestly recommend it.

Lurdiak posted:

Archie's main comic also had that crisis on infinite Archies thing going on, which was the weirdest thing to even happen to Archie since that time they revealed Jughead was a time cop who was in love with Archie's great grand-daughter from the future and that's why he wasn't interested in other girls.

The reason he isn't interested in other girls is because he had his first heartbreak early, when he moved away from his childhood friend, Joani Jumpp. She was part of Jughead's love quadrangle (yes, Marshall January McAndrews was another part of it); if anyone actually wants more detail on this I can, uh, post a lot more in the Archie thread.

Lurdiak posted:

They also introduced a gay character a few years back, which isn't really notable except for the fact that it's Archie.

Not notable that he's gay, but notable in that he had his gay wedding before anyone in Marvel or DC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Transformers #41

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

From the Steven Universe GBS thread.

Garnet and Pearl cameo.

Did I miss an issue of Batgirl? What's the source on this?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Flintstones #5

A yabba dabba good time indeed

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Life With Archie featured Kevin Keller's marriage in January 2012, a few months before Northstar got hitched in Marvel, which I believe was Marvel's first, so Archie beat the big two at least. And those came out several years before Obergefell.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

ecavalli posted:

This is a very good joke that deserves more love. Well played, Question.

I can read some Japanese and I read that issue (in English) but I do not get this joke.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I like how they take the trouble to make this legally distinct Batman parody character but then they just flat out have him beating up the Joker.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

But what if for one birthday, Thanos gave him a metahuman gene, and he never figured out what it did, then it turns out it doesn't do anything; it's just there so that when he tells heroes Thanos did it, they'll assume he's a hallucinating meta who can't control his powers.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

evilmiera posted:

I wish comics like it and Marvel Adventures Spider-Man were available and ongoing right now. Dang but those were good.

I was really mad we didn't get them back for the duration of Secret Wars. Or for any duration, really. Give them back to us please Marvel

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I dunno, I fancy myself quite the Archie connoisseur.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Wrong Earth #5

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

“The World’s Greatest Detective” :raise:

He deduces where each piece goes, and upon placing the last one in the upper left, he lets out a gasp of recognition.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Superior Spider-man #5

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Phy posted:

There is no way in hell I'm gonna find it without going to an Archie comics board, and, forget that, but when I was a kid I read a comic where Reggie sold Archie an electric typewriter and didn't tell him some of the keys broken, and Archie shows up at Reggie's door steamin' mad and going "YOU EALLY IPPED ME OFF ON THAT TYPEWITE, EGGIE!"

NO? Bam! Your resident Archie guy is on the case! I haven't flexed those muscles in so long...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Pleanty of people are named Ben, Peter. I am sure it would be find your identity from that clue.

"Ah, Spider-man must be Franklin Richards"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's extremely weird and while I like the ideas behind it, I think it bit off more than it could chew. Alex de Campi wrote a fun Predator/Archie hybrid story in the first volume but the sequel seemed like it forgot it was an Archie/Predator story and instead focused on trying to do Grant Morrison's Animal Man but for Archie. I think there's a good story to be had with that, and I see glimmers of it here and there, but I feel the writing couldn't quite live up to its ambition.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Can't post this without the complementary:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Everyone in the cast died, but none by the hands of anyone in the Scooby gang; all deaths were due to villainy. One of the deaths was indeed an implied death by machine gun, from I think Nazi robots. The ending was not a time loop, but they caused the demonic entity to never have existed, so they're the only ones to remember what happened, but everyone in the city is happy because none of them grew up with all the childhood trauma of living in a cursed town. Then Harlan Ellison (RIP) invites them to go to Miskatonic U, on the other side of the country, and it's implied this is the reason for the long road trip they always seem to be on in the original series.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the funny panels thread. Here's some relevant content, from Scooby-Doo Team-Up #50:

For those who don't get it, it's poking light fun at the Arrow CW show, as several main villains from the first few seasons aren't really known as Green Arrow villains.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 26, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wait, is this the reason why back in s1 of Agents of SHIELD there was a joke about some characters being confused as to whether Hydra's motto was "cut off one limb" or "cut off one head"?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Lobok posted:

None other than Todd McFarlane himself in What The—?! #2

I like how they take the trouble to make a legally safe parody of Batman, but then just flat out have the Joker in the panel.

Also, related, from an old manga:

(Video Girl Ai, not sure of issue)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Begemot posted:

Marvel Action: Chillers #3

Is the title of this story Blood and Iron? Please tell me it's Blood and Iron.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My headcanon is that Darkseid will never admit this but he thinks that earth's sole contribution to the universe is the invention of the comfy chair.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I bet most of the superhero community was like "Ah gently caress Pete's doing a bit again. Remember when he talked like a loving pirate for a month solid? Or his edgy campus libertarian phase?"

Okay, forget Superior, I want to know more about the time Pete talked like a pirate for a month.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

If you're just cropping and doing basic stuff, you can do it all online on this browser-based Photoshop clone (it was free last time I used it, it still seems to be)

https://www.photopea.com/

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It wasn't just Disney, and as far as anyone knows, it wasn't an official policy, but I believe the reasons for it have to do with syndication as well as having to pay voice actors more past 65 episodes due to union rules. Or at least that's how it was back when live TV was still our primary means of consuming entertainment.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

SimonChris posted:

Immortal Hulk: Great Power (2020)

I love it when Spiderman surprises people with his science skills.

It's funny that anyone is surprised given that so many Marvel characters gave themselves powers with science skills... speaking of, does anyone have that one bit where the Avengers are surprised at Peter's knowledge and he exasperatedly goes "why does nobody ever remember that I'm also really smart?"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay but what if the person who beat the other up was actually a time travelling you from the future, and it was present day you who served the jail time; would you, in the future, be permitted to go back in time to beat that person up

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That doesn't answer anything! If the coffins were empty, how did Superman find where they actually were?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I don't think there's been a Doc Strange meets Zatanna book or anything like that.

Forget that, I want to know more about this

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Miles Morales/Strange Academy

Batman/Scooby Doo 11

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Vlaphor posted:

Then maybe don't speak your scheme to trick the blind person less than two feet away from said blind person.

The best part is that this is exactly how she found out. She reveals to them at the end of the story (after several years) that she's known all along because she heard that conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

I always thought it would be funny if there was a Superman comic where he just does actually look super out of shape because e doesn't ever actually physically exert himself the way a normal human who looks buff does.

Powers did that, sorta. Walker and Wolf, equals in strength, both got depowered while fighting, and Walker proceeded to beat the poo poo out of Wolf because Walker actually bothered to stay in shape and Wolf didn't. He was screaming "you should have kept in better shape, you gently caress" the whole time too