Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Not to sound like a Hatcher, but how is he a natural-born citizen when he's from another reality?
Alternate universe USA is still the USA, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Travis343 posted:

That was Ultimate Universe Colossus, iceman is the one who is gay in normal continuity.
Also Ultimate Wolverine is bisexual and broke his heart AFAIK.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Howard The Duck #4.
You need to have watched Gravity Falls.

Could you post smaller versions of the images, please? Some of that text is almost legible.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Achewood updates?
Fairly consistently these days, even! Check back every Friday and there's usually a new strip, it's great.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I agree that organic webshooters make sense (and the ways in which they've been differentiated based on character like with Silk's fingertip-shooters make for a fun visual identity), it's just when they're organic you don't have the ability to customize the webs as easily as "Peter invented a new web type that does _____" and you lose the dramatic angle of Spider-Man running out of web-fluid in the heat of the moment, which often leads to some of his best ingenuity.
It's comics, you could make him have some mechanical attachment to his webholes that allows him to change the web's attributes on the fly if you wanted to.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

His name is Megabyte Beagle, actually.
That's an unfortunately dated name. Guess it leaves room to introduce smarter siblings or something though.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I wish comics just accepted the subtext as text already, let Bats & Supes be bisexual so they can retain their history without hamfistedly revealing it all to be an act like Iceman.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I adore that Ryan North found an actual squirrel themed demon from Norse myth to be the villain for a crossover with Thor.
Calling Ratatoskr is oversimplifying things at best (Norse mythology doesn't really have demons at all), but yeah it's a good fit.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Cleretic posted:

What corner of the MCU would he even be at his best in? I feel like all the casts his concept would work best with are too stone-faced for him (Captain America, Daredevil), while the characters he'd suit tonally are too high-powered for him (Iron Man, maybe Ant-Man).

I suppose if we stretch to the non-Disney-owned Marvel-property movies there's Deadpool and Spider-Man.
He'd probably work best in a TV offering with some tonally appropriate B and C listers showing up. Agents of SHIELD? I haven't watched that so I dunno what its tone is.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

I'm imagining that the "IN SPACE" is said in the same tone as the Muppet's sketch of "Pigs...IN SPACE!"

(Or the bit at the end of Mel Brooks History of the World Part 1 where it has "Jews....IN SPACE!")
I dunno what either of those sound like but this is clearly supposed to be one of those voicemail messages where you slot in a snippet about what's going on. Usually there's a brief pause and tone shift between the main message and the module.

Ugh, I know *exactly* what it sounds like but I can't find an example. The point is that it's just "[...]we are unable to assist you at the moment as the Avengers are [x]. To contact your local police department[...]" where [x] can be replaced with a soundbite for whatever's appropriate. IN SPACE. FIGHTING SKRULL INFILTRATORS. CURRENTLY DISBANDED. TEMPORARILY DEAD. And so forth.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yes, exactly that. Thanks!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So Squirrel Gur-El is a Kryptonian, right?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I love this, what's the source? I mean I assume some Batman book based on the discussion, but which one?

VVV Thanks, I guess I figured it was one of the long-running ones where it's hard to figure out the right issue, but it looks like there's a trade of this run on Comixology so I'll check it out.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2017

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So these are all Justice League analogs, right? Who's who?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

You might be the kind of person who would really enjoy a book called The Last Ringbearer. It's presented as a semi-accurate historical adventure fiction from a world where the Lord of the Rings was an almost-totally-inaccurate Gondorian epic poem in the vein of the Song of Roland: bloodthirsty, regressive, lionizing their ancestor's superhuman accomplishments while dehumanizing cultural enemies who were in various ways more sophisticated than them, etc. So the beginning of the book is all "Of course nowadays we all know that the Orcuen people have their own vibrant culture and intellectual traditions and were not really twisted mutants made by Satan in the dawn times of the earth."

(though ironically the book manages to work in its own streaks of the r-word :sigh:)

As I understand it, the author had an English translation made, gave up on getting it printed and sold against the wishes of the Tolkien Estate, and just released it online.
Oh, that reminds me that I've had this book on my hard drive since the translation came out but still haven't read it, I should get on that. Anyway it's available here.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Talking is a free action.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

A division of police who specialize in dealing with dogs who are not good boys.
There's no work for such a division, seeing as all dogs are good boys.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Paste-Pot Pete...what's it like to rob an armored car?

It's like... it's like a basketball game

I am there and the guards are there

and I glue their feet to the ground

and I am the winner

Nice.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Honestly I like Man of Steel quite a bit. I thought Bendis' Batman dialog in the last issue was on point too.

Is this from the same book as Synth posted? Both the art and dialog are much better here.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Superman: Okay guys, let's divy up our patrol.

There are some kids drinking, in the east section. I'll give them a talking to about the legal age for buying alcohol, but otherwise let them off with a warning.
Nightwing, a man has gotten lost looking for his dog in the North Section. I think you can handle that.

And officer Joey? Doomsday has been spotted in the South West section. This is your chance to shine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I like the idea of the explosiveness of Gambit's projectiles depending on whichever object he is throwing. In fact, they should retcon his powers, that poo poo with charging stuff with kinetic energy or whatever never made much sense. Make it so that Gambit unleashes each object's individual explosive potential, or opens its connection to explodimension.
These aren't mutually exclusive! Just make it so each object can hold a certain amount of kinetic energy, so a can of beans can be charged further than, say, a playing card. Doesn't even really require retconning, just specifying the bounds of his mutation.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The superior David Tennant-as-detective series is Blackpool, and it's a crime that so few seem to know it.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

The Black Racer and the Black Flash are both embodiments of Death in DC, but are different entities. Black Flash was the universe coming up with a way of killing speedsters, because they are too fast for the normal Grim Reaper. Maybe.

I love comics.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Street Fighter Legends: Ibuki #1 (2010)
What the entire gently caress is her pants situation?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

PicklePants posted:

Those superman pages are amazing. I need to grab that book.
I just read the book yesterday because of those pages. It's certainly not bad, but those pages are the clear highlight.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

(John Constantine - Hellblazer #02)
John Constantine wouldn't make racist jokes :colbert:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

site posted:

posters who need more cheesecake, may i recommend https://twitter.com/kristaferanka
Kris Anka is the best.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

prefect posted:

It's also worth reading Incorruptible, about a villain who sees the Plutonian go nuts and decides he has to be a good guy now -- they intertwine a bit.

Also includes one of my favorite attempted hero names, Hate Crime. "Because I hate crime!"
https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1182465439760293888?s=19

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Reading that fake manga sounds like it would be one of the layers of hell, the one for car salesmen.
You're not wrong, but it's still funny and still a decent stab at comics like Irredeemable / Incorruptible and its ilk.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I mean you'd think Jeff Goldblum would make an interesting something but so far we haven't found that thing.
Why are you always so wrong?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXMJP1J-3Y

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm never gonna watch wrestling, but reading about it is pretty fun. Not sure this is the place for it though.

What I'm saying is, post some wrestling comics.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm just going to say, reading panels backwards is loving hard as hell, and while I don't want to say don't post manga (that Mitsuboshi Colors sequence was great), don't post 5 double pages of it.
Calling it "backwards" is kinda weird IMO, just because you're used to reading least to right doesn't mean right to left is backwards.

However, sometimes manga translations mirror the pages so they read left to right and sometimes they don't, so it might be good to mention reading direction when posting manga. But that's just, like, my opinion.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sort of relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This entire thing is honestly a bit yikes.
Post Funny Panels: This entire thing is honestly a bit yikes.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Wolverine & The X-Men #42

I miss this book so much.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Ultimate Wolverine was bi, wasn't he? I feel like I remember him getting with Ultimate Colossus, who was gay.

Speaking of, which Ultimate universe characters are around these days? Just Miles Morales and The Maker?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I'm pretty sure the Maker brought back a bunch of the Ultimates in... maybe Ewing's Ultimates² series? I forget. Anyway iirc a bunch of them got brought back, turned on Maker, then stole a spaceship and are just drifting somewhere out there.

Also the current Miles story arc revolves around him facing a guy named Ultimatum who has the Ultimate Green Goblin working for him and seems to be restoring people's memories of 1610 for unknown purposes, like they just reminded Aaron Davis that Miles totally (accidentally) killed him.
Oh hey, I'm following that Miles arc, but since I'm reading on Marvel Unlimited I'm a bit behind. Neat concept, will be interesting to see how it plays out. Hadn't realized that version of Goblin was the Ultimate one though, probably because he wasn't all that memorable.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

He’s a Nazi, so he keeps the bees to himself.

If he gave the bees away, he’d be a goon.
For telling a joke this bad, you should be forced to leave. Go. Beegoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

In this case, he's playing himself. I think it's the What If? where he stops the burglar, but only for publicity's sake and becomes a celebrity. Naturally he becomes an enormous jackass.
Is Ben Reilly his stunt double?